Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2837890 - 02/23/17 04:49 PM Feedback appreciation
hurricane hugo Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I love guitar feedback, whether controlled or not. I've spent years developing my ability to "play" it, and I love hearing it on record. Of course, it goes without saying that I was a big Type O Negative fan (their guitar player's guitar always screamed before he started playing his part). I will post some Type O later, but I'll start the topic off with this:

ff to the 1:20 mark. That brief feedback squall foreshadows the asskicking about to come.

GP Island
#2837912 - 02/23/17 07:35 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: hurricane hugo]
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
Being an old Hendrix fan I love tastefully done feedback. The fun part is trying to keep it under control before it becomes a chaotic wall of noise! Other great feedback players- Jeff Beck, Ted Nugent, David Gilmour, Eddie Van Halen, Jeff Healey, Alex Lifeson, Frank Marino and Robin Trower.

#2837939 - 02/24/17 01:17 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: Delta]
Baldwin Funster Offline
Has been warned....
Platinum Member

Loc: On top of the world ma, I fina...
Check out the upcoming digitech freqout. Looks like a feedback dream come true.

#2837944 - 02/24/17 04:00 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: Baldwin Funster]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Of course DELTA, you can't have ANY discussion about guitar feedback without mentioning Jimi. But he went beyond that.

Those little "sea gull" sounds he put on some tunes was done by pushing the earpiece of his headphones up against the studio mic.

That "Seattle Sage" was one clever boy! wink
Whitefang

#2837974 - 02/24/17 06:40 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: hurricane hugo]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: hurricane hugo
I love guitar feedback, whether controlled or not. I've spent years developing my ability to "play" it, and I love hearing it on record. Of course, it goes without saying that I was a big Type O Negative fan (their guitar player's guitar always screamed before he started playing his part). I will post some Type O later, but I'll start the topic off with this:

ff to the 1:20 mark. That brief feedback squall foreshadows the asskicking about to come.

I love LOVE love FEEDBACK... !!

I love the harmonic-overtones and animation that it can provide.

I love my Sustainiac Model C harmonic-feedback generator; I love how it vibrates the guitar in my hands and adds so much controllable nuance and bombast alike.

It helps- regardless of the source of generating said harmonic/acoustic feedback-
to have good muting and damping chops with both hands. Playing without a pick further facilitates that.

I think that I would- WILL- really like this new DigiTech FreqOut pedal that's coming out (thanks, Baldwin Funster!)...

________

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2837987 - 02/24/17 07:52 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I'm not a big fan of loud feedback rock concerts...but, I do like a little feedback now and then when it's tastefully done. cool

#2838112 - 02/25/17 08:31 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I am a big fan of feedback, undertones, and overtones. I can get that stuff out of my amps at relatively low volume with my tube distortion pedals, and from my now gone Pod XT which gave wonderful feedbacks etc. even at whisper volumes.

However I remember the days I had my hundred watt Marshall Plexi. I got the most amazing feedback, undertones, and overtones from that thing when turned way up. I had marks on the floor that I could get certain tones from the direction I was standing, and if I moved from that spot it turned into something else as interesting. But the sound was Earth shattering. I am amazed I can still hear well. I do have a slight tinnitus ringing in my ears but over time I got used to it....
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2838121 - 02/25/17 09:32 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: desertbluesman]
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2838596 - 02/27/17 05:17 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: hurricane hugo]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Here's a familiar & early use of feedback that hit the pop charts.
BTW & FWIW, this isn't the take of the tune ya may've heard...chk the depth of Lennon's vox w/ out the harmonies.
Also, that's JL playing the riff etc, before Harrison added his part.

Here's another fave.
The gtr solo starts abt 1:00 in & the magic note happens abt 1:35~1:40.

Here's an excerpt from a live version of Machine Gun (not the classic Fillmore version) that gives us a good view of what JH was actually doing while he made his magick.
The only thing missing is what he was doing w/ the pickup switches at 1:30 when all that fluttery, stuttery stuff breaks out.

Here's a sample from a lesser known central Ga, USA, player, Glenn Phillips c. 1970 (he's still active).

Of course (?) this isn't just the territory of rockers.
Here's jazzbo Sonny Sharrock doing his thing...most of it's simply high volume + effects but he ends with some real feedback.

Here's an interesting clip.
It's lacking the authentic audio but whoever can ID the part of Monterey Pop this starts with will lead us to another great example of Hendrix.

#2838798 - 02/28/17 04:10 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: d]
MP Hall of Fame Member

omg

#2838804 - 02/28/17 04:45 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: d]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

To reiterate, whoever can ID the part of Monterey Pop this starts with will lead us to another great example of Hendrix.
Somebody gotta know this.
[/quote]

#2838825 - 02/28/17 07:45 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: hurricane hugo]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

omg

Yeah... That's pretty awesome all-around.

Is Fripp using an E-Bow there (like I believe he did on the original), or a Fernandes Sustainer pickup? (EDIT: I see now that he was in fact using the Fernandes Sustainer pickup, and not an E-Bow)

Whichever, my Sustainiac Model C (not a pickup/magnetic-driver, a vibrating transducer on the headstock) allows me to do the same. I love that thing!

#2838838 - 02/28/17 09:06 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
CEB Offline
10k Club

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2838840 - 02/28/17 09:36 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: d]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: d
To reiterate, whoever can ID the part of Monterey Pop this starts with will lead us to another great example of Hendrix.
Somebody gotta know this.

Eghrr... ! You've got me scratchin' my head, d, I know I should know and I can't think of it to save my life! crazy

Originally Posted By: CEB

I used to have that album! On vinyl! It was one of a few that I and buddy took to music class in 8th grade! grin Some of the others were Cheap Trick and AC/DC!

#2838966 - 03/01/17 01:23 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, Caev, I've seen that film many times in the past but can't think what song that shows.
Clearly, though, by the vid he's showing some non-typical playing techniques.

So far I haven't tracked it down on YT...& with recent scouring by his estate it may've been eliminated, although many Monterey clips are still there.
idk

On the subject of Teddy, that Nugent boy, this track, notwithstanding...

[note the pre-solo squall at 1:42 & how he both finger-syncs adjusting vol knob AND hints at flamenco tech to match the drum part at end of solo laugh ]

...TN was never a real fave of mine.

I must admit, though, that I learned one of my fave recording trix from him.
To expeditiously achieve feedback effects in studio, decide what pitches y'wanna hear &, on a 2nd track, record them as harmonics to be faded in as desired.
Some will no doubt call that "fake" but it saves time & gets to the point.

#2839056 - 03/01/17 11:38 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite

omg

Yeah... That's pretty awesome all-around.

Is Fripp using an E-Bow there (like I believe he did on the original), or a Fernandes Sustainer pickup? (EDIT: I see now that he was in fact using the Fernandes Sustainer pickup, and not an E-Bow)

Whichever, my Sustainiac Model C (not a pickup/magnetic-driver, a vibrating transducer on the headstock) allows me to do the same. I love that thing!

Fripp's studio performance of "Heroes" predates the invention of the E-bow by 3 or 4 years, I think. Indeed, I've read that the inventor of the E-bow set out to build it in order to make it easier to reproduce what Fripp did without it.

#2839060 - 03/02/17 03:32 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: hurricane hugo]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Fripp's studio performance of "Heroes" predates the invention of the E-bow by 3 or 4 years, I think. Indeed, I've read that the inventor of the E-bow set out to build it in order to make it easier to reproduce what Fripp did without it.

THANK YOU for that clarification!! cool twothumbs

I'd seen other guitarists live on-stage with Bowie playing that part with an E-Bow, so I assumed that that was the way it was originally done. Funny thing is, I'd also just figured that I didn't need an E-Bow to do much the same, myself! laugh

rawk

#2839113 - 03/02/17 09:16 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
CEB Offline
10k Club

E-Bow ..... pffft!

Vibrators baby.

#2839115 - 03/02/17 09:22 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: CEB]
CEB Offline
10k Club

video quality is bad.

#2839220 - 03/02/17 04:21 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: CEB]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

E-Bow ..... pffft!

Vibrators baby.
video quality is bad.

Thanks for both of those, CEB! cool

#2839247 - 03/02/17 07:28 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

THANK YOU for that clarification!! cool twothumbs

I'd seen other guitarists live on-stage with Bowie playing that part with an E-Bow, so I assumed that that was the way it was originally done. Funny thing is, I'd also just figured that I didn't need an E-Bow to do much the same, myself! laugh

rawk

Fripp originally did it with amp feedback and his Frippertronics rig (2 reel to reel tape decks set up to be a loop).

I've had to play "Heroes" and used an Ebow + Deluxe Memory Man or Deluxe Memory Boy.

#2839248 - 03/02/17 07:29 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

For those who haven't seen it... TV was so much cooler when I was a kid.

#2839295 - 03/03/17 04:49 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: p90jr]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: p90jr

I remember that waaay back when! laugh Gad, I'm old. crazy grin That was back when dinosaurs had propellers and airplanes ruled the earth... wink

#2839398 - 03/03/17 09:39 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: p90jr]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

idk

Not to drift too far afield but TV's even cooler now (chk the sheer abundance of what we're finding here).
It's just way more splintered.

#2839443 - 03/03/17 12:26 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: d]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

idk

Not to drift too far afield but TV's even cooler now (chk the sheer abundance of what we're finding here).
It's just way more splintered.

Yeah... but as a pre-teen with only 12 channels of cable (4 local broadcast channels in my room, where I usually turned my small Sony set back on after my parents were asleep) I constantly found interesting stuff readily available. I remember this episode of the Midnight Special with Rick James hosting... I saw Public Image, LTD. on Tomorrow with Tom Snyder AND American Bandstand (!) around the same time... SNL had so many mind-expanding musical guests: DEVO, Talking Heads, B-52's, Elvis Costello, FEAR... I always loved talk shows back then because people talked, had actual conversations, instead of the planned and canned little stories someone writes for them to deliver, now... Frank Zappa and Jimmy "JJ" Walker and Kenny Rogers on the same Mike Douglass show... or Sherman "George Jefferson" Hemsley doing an interpretive dance to song by prog band Gong on Mike Douglass... while overall things were much "squarer," freaky things got through. Now, things might be hipper, but nothing out of place or unexpected ever seems to happen.

I've shared this opinion with guys I play with in their 20s, and they've searched out the clips of that era, and they say "you're right... things are pretty lame now compared to that!"

#2839450 - 03/03/17 01:04 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: p90jr]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think what yer pointing out, p90jr, is that in The Olden Times there was perforce a greater mix of genres, not just on TV but radio.
1964: not uncommon to hear the Beatles followed by Roger Miller followed by Sinatra---if not immediately then on consecutive programs.
These daze, w/ the incredible number of options, audiences are self-segregated.....which is one reason society overall is more fragmented...
NOT ENOUGH FEEDBACK !

#2839463 - 03/03/17 02:51 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: d]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think what yer pointing out, p90jr, is that in The Olden Times there was perforce a greater mix of genres, not just on TV but radio.
1964: not uncommon to hear the Beatles followed by Roger Miller followed by Sinatra---if not immediately then on consecutive programs.
These daze, w/ the incredible number of options, audiences are self-segregated.....which is one reason society overall is more fragmented...
NOT ENOUGH FEEDBACK !

+1000

#2839604 - 03/04/17 10:26 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: p90jr]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

____
____ Li'l Brother Midnight

NOT ENOUGH FEEDBACK !

+1000

+2000 wave

#2839620 - 03/04/17 11:23 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Li'l Brother Midnight = simultaneously hot & cool !
twothumbs

#2839696 - 03/04/17 05:49 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: d]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Li'l Brother Midnight = simultaneously hot & cool !
twothumbs

Thanks, half'! wave

#2840070 - 03/06/17 04:38 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

FOUND IT !

Hendrix at Monterey 1967
Wild Thang
watch the whole thing
or tune in for the most relevant sections & yhe, uh, full experience
(dig the dolly's face at 8:33 ! laugh )

1:~2:20 / 6:00~ conclusion.
rawk

https://vimeo.com/149466401

[If not a member y'may have to join to view the clip but it's free ! ]

#2840096 - 03/06/17 06:13 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: d]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

FOUND IT !

Hendrix at Monterey 1967
Wild Thang
watch the whole thing
or tune in for the most relevant sections & yhe, uh, full experience
(dig the dolly's face at 8:33 ! laugh )
1:~2:20 / 6:00~ conclusion.
rawk

https://vimeo.com/149466401

[If not a member y'may have to join to view the clip but it's free ! ]

______ like

______

#2840474 - 03/08/17 05:18 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Just did a spot chk on our little collection here.
Some very interesting sounds but other than the ones that are based on tremendous sustain (are those feedback ?) it's hard to glean how it goes from sonic event to craft.

That's one thing I was hoping to uncover by searching out those clips of JH & Sharrock ( I tried to find some Derek Bailey but didn't get a good one yet), where we could actually watch what was being done as THE POWER manifested ITSELF.

Feedback is, essentially, a force surging beyond control or verging on doing so.
Mayhaps the electronic equivalent to what a windstorm is to sound in ordinary air.

While that's a mix of variables that's prolly beyond specific reproduction (amp & gtr settings, all that stuff) I wonder if there's some potential for sciencifactioning it (as Elvis might say*)...sorta like a wind tunnel is a test ground for the science of air movement.

To be honest I never really experimented much (see earlier Ted Nugent studio tip), although a high school band-mate would regularly stand his semi-hollow Rick on it's ahead atop his amp when he got tired of playing John Fogerty tunes....

Any body (or as George Clinton puts it "airbody") got any ideas or up-yer-sleeve trix on practical controls ?

Issat something we could collect here ?
-----------------------------------------------------

[* ref =

#2842006 - 03/15/17 03:55 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: d]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I liked this; hopefully, you will, too: https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/ri...campaign=buffer

Always nice to see Junior Barnard getting some props. smile

#2844679 - 03/26/17 11:25 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: hurricane hugo]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Still lookin' / lurkin' 'round "noisey" but in the meantime (& time can be so mean) here's some more pop feedback.
Reminded of this while reading abt Public Enemy's recording history yesterday.

Dig Sonic Youth's highly studio-sculpted feedback attempt at a pop single.
That's Chuck D interjecting bits there between Kim Gordon's vox.
"Weird up !"

#2846570 - 04/03/17 04:33 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: d]
MP Hall of Fame Member

FF to 4:41 mark:

#2847205 - 04/05/17 02:56 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: hurricane hugo]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I like how that one sustains & blooms up into higher octave, then seems to get slightly bent.
It kinda reminded me of being in the room with Tibetan monks when their multiphonic chanting hits the right spot & starts swimming around like whale song.

#2857070 - 05/24/17 03:59 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: d]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Not to get all zombie threadish but here seemed the best place to hang this

FZappa runs the voodoo down in an extended solo.
Great views of his hands.

The entire tracks cool but as for feedback catch the moment abt 2:50~2:55 & the final chorus starting at abt 4:00 where he sustains a single tweaked note for the loooooooooongest time.

The chorus starting at 3:00 seems to be a tribute to JHendrix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9DqykUsqRY

#2857348 - 05/25/17 07:18 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: d]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Not to get all zombie threadish but here seemed the best place to hang this

FZappa runs the voodoo down in an extended solo.
Great views of his hands.

The entire tracks cool but as for feedback catch the moment abt 2:50~2:55 & the final chorus starting at abt 4:00 where he sustains a single tweaked note for the loooooooooongest time.

The chorus starting at 3:00 seems to be a tribute to JHendrix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9DqykUsqRY

love

#2859568 - 06/06/17 09:52 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

& then there's this
kinda corny but also kinda beautiful

Feedback relevance = many bits throughout
but don't miss the 2 sections starting at 6:15~7:05
& 7:05~7:50

https://www.youtube.com/watchv=68AoHJd84aQ

#2859594 - 06/06/17 12:35 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: d]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

& then there's this
kinda corny but also kinda beautiful

Feedback relevance = many bits throughout
but don't miss the 2 sections starting at 6:15~7:05
& 7:05~7:50

https://www.youtube.com/watchv=68AoHJd84aQ

Not all that corny (but I know what you mean), and very good!

Musical, controlled feedback (and even uncontrolled or out of control!) with an electric guitar can be such an expressive device and a very emotional conduit!

I see (and hear) that he's deploying a Fernandes Sustainer there (a magnetic transducer, mounted in the neck-pickup location, that drives the strings). Of course, he's also doing some masterful playing all-around, including all of the little touches and nuances that coax just the harmonic-overtones and/or octaves that he wants to conjure out of the notes with feedback- the gizmos don't just automatically do all that!

I can get nearly identical results from my Sustainiac Model C, which is a vibrating-transducer that clamps onto the headstock and induces feedback by sending vibrations through the neck.

This kinda stuff is fun and fantastic! It really adds to the experiences of both playing and listening! love rawk

#2859640 - 06/06/17 03:44 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Besides the basic musical theme, I was particularly struck by his simultaneous audio & physical interpretation of what seems to be a bird landing & flying off (last 2 mins).

#2859708 - 06/06/17 09:00 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: d]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Besides the basic musical theme, I was particularly struck by his simultaneous audio & physical interpretation of what seems to be a bird landing & flying off (last 2 mins).

Yeah... That's pretty cool, huh? His is a very deft, expressive touch and musicality.

#2881113 - 09/23/17 08:08 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2881529 - 09/25/17 04:00 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: hurricane hugo]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Link took me to a mag spreadsheet but what page(s) am I looking for, Hugo ?

Oh, just found the article !

[Back aft I read it in next several daze.................. / note how elipsis stands in fer infinite sustain ? laugh ]
----------------------------------------------------------

Grumble !
It's one of those sites ya can't cut/paste from [ evil ], which I guess is why ya didn't do that for us in the 1st place ....
Hate having to sit here reading tiny type when I could be doon that elsewhen !

#2881964 - 09/27/17 05:38 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: d]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Link took me to a mag spreadsheet but what page(s) am I looking for, Hugo ?

Oh, just found the article !

[Back aft I read it in next several daze.................. / note how elipsis stands in fer infinite sustain ? laugh ]
----------------------------------------------------------

Grumble !
It's one of those sites ya can't cut/paste from [ evil ], which I guess is why ya didn't do that for us in the 1st place ....
Hate having to sit here reading tiny type when I could be doon that elsewhen !

that site is a pain in the azz sometimes.

#2882024 - 09/28/17 04:44 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: hurricane hugo]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Originally Posted By: hurricane hugo [/quote
that site is a pain in the azz sometimes.

Must be. I clicked on the link and wound up looking at a blank white screen.
Whitefang

#2886204 - Yesterday at 02:31 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: whitefang]
MP Hall of Fame Member

When feedback is part of the song's hook:

40 years gone...RIP, Steve.

#2886336 - Today at 09:23 AM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: hurricane hugo]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Good reminder !
Those cats did so much that was better than that "Free Bird" noise.

BTW & FWIW grin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyo3hdy7dkY

Did I bring this one up already ?
end of solo [1:00~1:40]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drm48bOirLw

#2886403 - Today at 07:38 PM Re: Feedback appreciation [Re: hurricane hugo]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, I went there. razz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose