Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably my favorite release of the year so far.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekH1P7urfzc

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I've been listening to Mike LeDonne's latest record "That Feelin'". I picked it up after catching his quartet at Smoke in NYC last November. Incredible stuff!

http://mikeledonne.net/discography/albums/that-feelin/

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Up next in the queue:

Mark de Clive-Lowe - Live at the Blue Whale

Taylor Haskins - Gnosis (he's known more as a trumpeter but he's been producing electronic music for a while and on this record he plays a lot of synth & EVI)

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

In going through my second childhood, 1969 and my favorite television series (I would rush home from school to watch it) and the record set that came out that I played until the grooves were gone (came with a poster, too) was:

[video:youtube]

Side 1

Side 2

"The Blue Whale" . . . oddly enough I had planned to post these videos last time I was here and got interrupted . . . then to come back and read that . . . wow! Synchronicity.

:)

I'm listening to Gregory Porter. That dude has a great voice and a solid backing band. :cool:
Seriously. We saw him live some months back and they were killin'. :thu:

"The Oracle" might be my favorite studio record of his. God I love this ! :cool:

Btw, Hank was 70 or 71 when Oracle was recorded.

Thanks - I will have to check that one out.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

At the moment, giving this the first spin:

Really digging it! I've been a fan of Taborn's for 20-ish years, first heard him with Tim Berne ages ago. This album might be his best so far. Great quartet, Chris Speed on sax and clarinet, Chris Lightcap on bass, and the alaways amazing Dave King on drums. Where Taborn's previous ECM albums were good, but pretty sedate, King sets this one on fire.

Got to see Thundercat live last week, fantastic show overall, he is an amazing bassist, surprisingly good singer, and his trio was tight as hell. Terrific drummer. Keyboardist played a Rhodes suitcase, Prophet 12, Yamaha Motif and an 88-key controller I couldn't quite see. Unfortunately, the keys were often pretty lost in the mix, especially when he was soloing, you could tell he was playing some great stuff, but couldn't hear it as well as I'd have liked. On the plus side, the venue was sold out, and the crowd totally dug it, even when the band were going off into some pretty high-level improv stuff. Really heartening to see.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow