Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trip to the Fair ( Renaissance) tab or midi

I am hacking away at the 3 and 1/2 minute piano intro.

Does anybody have the score/sheet music for this ?

A decent midi file would also be great.

I am in the Renaissance Yahoo group. what I read there is nothing

published on TTTF or casually figured out and posted on the Internet/youtube

I have searched thoroughly, and here I am- maybe this is where I should have started

Thank you for your resourcefulness.

Here's a charming story on this great song.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=27177

• Like 1

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I also drag/dropped the mp3 into Garage Band. In hopes that it would convert the file into a score or show the tic marks on a piano roll.

No dice

[70's Songwriter]

Sadly, I suspect that if the music had ever been published-- which it might have been, as part of a Renaissance songbook-- then it's probably long out of print and no longer available. I've got several songbooks like that-- most can no longer be found outside of someone's personal collection, although once in a blue moon you might get lucky and see a used copy for sale on eBay or Amazon.

My suggestion would be to look at the album to see which music company published or copyrighted the song, then contact that company (or whichever company gobbled them up) to see if they have a copy of the sheet music available for purchase.

Michael Rideout

Sadly, I suspect that if the music had ever been published-- which it might have been, as part of a Renaissance songbook-- then it's probably long out of print and no longer available. I've got several songbooks like that-- most can no longer be found outside of someone's personal collection, although once in a blue moon you might get lucky and see a used copy for sale on eBay or Amazon.

My suggestion would be to look at the album to see which music company published or copyrighted the song, then contact that company (or whichever company gobbled them up) to see if they have a copy of the sheet music available for purchase.

Thanks for that.

I tried eBay. BTM Records (British Talent Managers) issued the LP. Small label, 10 records, went bankrupt around 2001.

I wrote to Rave Tesar, who did keyboards in the bands reincarnation around 2001. A very talented pianist:

http://www.ravetesar.com/bio

I might write to Annie, too

I am making decent progress slowing down the tune in Garage Band, and hacking thru it.

Some parts I will simply blunder thru without the midi or score.

[70's Songwriter]

There was one "greatest hits" songbook that I was fortunate to pick up 25-30 years ago, but I don't believe it has Trip to the Fair. I can check when I get home. However, even if it did have the song, it wouldn't have the entire intro. I remember buying the book because it had all of Prologue transcribed fairly accurately, but that was really the only song with all of the piano parts. Most upsetting to me was that the intro to Running Hard was completely skipped. To this day, I've wanted to play that, but I just stink at figuring things out by ear (which is now compounded by some serious tinnitus and hearing loss). Props to you for pushing through and trying to figure out Trip to the Fair.

Tom Brislin has played with Annie recently, I believe as Renaissance. He may be able to provide some pointers if you can reach him...

There was one "greatest hits" songbook that I was fortunate to pick up 25-30 years ago, but I don't believe it has Trip to the Fair. I can check when I get home. However, even if it did have the song, it wouldn't have the entire intro. I remember buying the book because it had all of Prologue transcribed fairly accurately, but that was really the only song with all of the piano parts. Most upsetting to me was that the intro to Running Hard was completely skipped. To this day, I've wanted to play that, but I just stink at figuring things out by ear (which

I had that book as well. Made the band I was playing with at the time play Prologue because I took the time to learn it..... :D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

There was one "greatest hits" songbook that I was fortunate to pick up 25-30 years ago, but I don't believe it has Trip to the Fair. I can check when I get home. However, even if it did have the song, it wouldn't have the entire intro. I remember buying the book because it had all of Prologue transcribed fairly accurately, but that was really the only song with all of the piano parts. Most upsetting to me was that the intro to Running Hard was completely skipped. To this day, I've wanted to play that, but I just stink at figuring things out by ear (which is now compounded by some serious tinnitus and hearing loss). Props to you for pushing through and trying to figure out Trip to the Fair.

Tom Brislin has played with Annie recently, I believe as Renaissance. He may be able to provide some pointers if you can reach him...

I think you are right. I noticed some recreated recordings ( on Amazon) skip the piano intro on TTTF.

I have the piano intro to Running Hard. also have decent midi file. I have messed with it a few weeks ago- you will have to have that hand over hand thing down, where the chords are hammered out.

Message me if you want the Running Hard intro- the pdf is sitting on my desktop

A good idea about contacting Tom, very talented player. I forgot he joined the 2011 version of Renaissance.

FYI, I struggle with tinnitus. I overcome it by creating ear worms :)

[70's Songwriter]

I found a live performance of the song on YouTube, and while you can't see what keys the pianist is playing, you can see from some of the shots that many, if not most/all, of the musicians have a score in front of them-- e.g., when they're filming the drummer from behind his right side you can see that he has sheet music. So writing to the band might be the way to go. :)

Also, I analyzed the album version with Riffstation and got a list of chords-- and while I doubt that they're very accurate, they might at least give you something to work from.

I also started to do a FFT analysis of the album version in WavePad, although I didn't really go much further than the opening chord, because there are so many strong harmonics that it's difficult to tell which frequencies are notes being played and which are just strong harmonics, possibly from sympathetic resonance. But if you're having trouble with specific parts (I'm not sure how much success you've had on your own so far), I can try looking at those parts with the FFT to try to identify the notes for you.

Opening chord (very iffy):

E minor = E2 + B2 + E3 + G3 + B3 ? (heavy on the E2 ?)

Michael Rideout

I found a live performance of the song on YouTube, and while you can't see what keys the pianist is playing, you can see from some of the shots that many, if not most/all, of the musicians have a score in front of them-- e.g., when they're filming the drummer from behind his right side you can see that he has sheet music. So writing to the band might be the way to go. :)

Also, I analyzed the album version with Riffstation and got a list of chords-- and while I doubt that they're very accurate, they might at least give you something to work from.

I also started to do a FFT analysis of the album version in WavePad, although I didn't really go much further than the opening chord, because there are so many strong harmonics that it's difficult to tell which frequencies are notes being played and which are just strong harmonics, possibly from sympathetic resonance. But if you're having trouble with specific parts (I'm not sure how much success you've had on your own so far), I can try looking at those parts with the FFT to try to identify the notes for you.

Opening chord (very iffy):

E minor = E2 + B2 + E3 + G3 + B3 ? (heavy on the E2 ?)

Thanks for that. You are right, there are several harmonics, lots of long sustain notes, etc.

I am close to doping out the opening chord:

Left hand: E1 E2 B2 allow these heavy bass notes to sustain thru the opening staccato 'big' chord and melody

Left and Right hands: Gmaj7th first position(LH) and B minor (RH) in unison for the big staccato chord. Think a 7 note chord with your LH pinkie finger beginning on G3.

allow all notes of the above to sustain.

while all the above i sustained, with the RH play the quarter note melody, F#5, E5, A5, F#5. I think John Tout also doubles those notes , playing octaves with his RH.

Its not technically perfect but i think I am close.

I made good progress on other part of this piano intro. I think this is John Touts approach ; lots of heavy piano bass notes, big chords and inversions, many in the 5th position.

Once I slowed it down on GB and worked it through, I thought I understood his approach.

I still would like the tab or the midi file by someone professional. To help with corrections to my ear interpretation.

Thanks for the offer on Wavepad. I see its a free d/l. I might give that a try

[70's Songwriter]

WavePad can be used for free, but the FFT option requires purchasing the more expensive of the licenses for it (the "pro" or "master" license, whatever they call it).

But all you really need is any FFT plug-in that can run inside your favorite DAW. I'd purchased a license for WavePad back before I started "collecting" DAWs, and grew accustomed to its FFT display, so now when I look at FFT graphs in other programs they look "funny" to me. :)

Michael Rideout

I just wanna say I think it's awesome that people are still playing Renaissance!

I always loved that band, and the modern-day Divas could all take lessons from Annie in how to use a 5-octave range voice.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I just wanna say I think it's awesome that people are still playing Renaissance!

I always loved that band, and the modern-day Divas could all take lessons from Annie in how to use a 5-octave range voice.

..Joe

I think everybody loves Annie :)

maxresdefault.jpg

[70's Songwriter]

Great band. I met them after a concert back in the late 70's.

I guess they are ok ;)

Video Update from Annie Haslam - 2016 Fall Tour

Its great to achieve long held dreams. Annie discusses plans etc,

[70's Songwriter]

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/20/2017 at 8:38 PM, GregC said:

Thanks for that.

I tried eBay. BTM Records (British Talent Managers) issued the LP. Small label, 10 records, went bankrupt around 2001.

I wrote to Rave Tesar, who did keyboards in the bands reincarnation around 2001. A very talented pianist:

http://www.ravetesar.com/bio

I might write to Annie, too

I am making decent progress slowing down the tune in Garage Band, and hacking thru it.

Some parts I will simply blunder thru without the midi or score.

Hello!

I'm sorry for troubling you. I love this band and this song especially. A few years ago i've been trying to get some information on the song and write some band members too, but to no avail. I wanted to ask if you were you able to get a music sheet for this song? btw,  im 18) ive been looking for the music sheets since 15 years old. For a moment, the fever seemed to have passed, but oh boy, it came back, and it is stronger now than ever. Thank you for your reply in advance) 

Been a longtime fan of this band, since the late 70s. That BBC Golders Green performance from 1977 is simply wonderful. Annie and the band at their best.

Having owned at one time their entire catalog on vinyl, I never knew about the 1970 transitional line-up that featured a vocalist named Binky Cullom. This was just after Keith and Jane Relf quit the band, and they had to piece together a new version of the band before they met Annie Haslam and Jon Camp.

This line-up has a few cool vids on YouTube, including this wonderful performance of "Face of Yesterday" from the Illusion album. Binky had a very dark, smoky voice compared to Annie, but she sure could sing too...

https://youtu.be/cvDXhEZvKyA

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Nice that they put out a 'deluxe' of Sheherazade, the peak of the 'classic' Renaissance lineup's work IMHO. I'm usually a sucker for a 5.1 remix, not so much for an 'upmix' where they didn't have the multitracks to work with and just processed the stereo mix to spread it out. Results tend to sound phasey and fuzzy, but the software keeps getting better.

Annie's done some nice stuff on tribute albums, 'Ripples' on a Genesis one and 'Turn of the Century' with Steve Howe on a Yes tribute. In 1998 she released a live album of a performance in Brazil, called 'Under Brazilian Skies', where she and an accompanist did a career retrospective-ish program that included this version of 'Turn of the Century'.

https://youtu.be/wTd90fUKevc

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Renaissance are another band that I started getting into. I had known very little about the group, but what turned me onto the group was when I found a used copy of Novella at the thrift store I inhabit. I really like John Tout's playing--his piano solos on Can You Hear Me? and his synthesisers on The Sisters and Midas Man were a really intricately arranged part of Renaissance, but his keyboard playing is often forgotten about. If I remember correctly his rig was an acoustic piano, a Hohner Clavinet, several Moogs, a Baldwin Electric Harpsichord, a Hammond organ, a Mellotron, and the ARP Omni, Yamaha CS-80 and ARP String Ensemble synthesisers. Since then, I have also bought original vinyl pressings of both Renaissance Live At Carnegie Hall and Ashes Are Burning.

watch?v=JwAPFbQVMgs

watch?v=hxOGuc5zp1A

It should be noted that the track At The Harbour is actually based off of the song La Cathedrale Engloutie by Debussy.

And the rest of the Renaissance lineup wasn't bad either: I really enjoy Annie Haslam's soothing voice, Jon Camp's bass riffing, and the drumming of Terrence Sullivan and guitar solos of Michael Dunford. Go and download a copy of Ashes Are Burning and listen to Renaissance the way they were meant to be heard.

• Love 1

• 5 months later...

Did anything ever come of this inquiry into music for "A Trip to the Fair?"  Or at least does anyone have a chord sheet to go with the lyrics?  I'm teaching my kids to sing it for part of their Halloween Program, and I transcribed the melody by listening to it on YouTube.  But rather than spend more time putting my ear training to use, it would be great to just have a list of chords to make up an accompaniment for them.  (Bonus of course would be to have the actual music, as I would love playing it on piano, but I'm sure that's not available anywhere).

On 4/6/2023 at 11:37 PM, IMMusicRulz said:

If I remember correctly his rig was an acoustic piano, a Hohner Clavinet, several Moogs, a Baldwin Electric Harpsichord, a Hammond organ, a Mellotron, and the ARP Omni, Yamaha CS-80 and ARP String Ensemble synthesisers.

John Tout's live rig was never that extensive, I think that was the rig he uses on the "Azure D'Or" album.  I saw Renaissance three times at various  points in their career.  Up through the Live at Carnegie Hall album he used an acoustic grand, an ARP Pro-Soloist, a Hammond B-3 and an ARP String Ensemble.  The B-3 disappeared after that as he only used it on "Ashes Are Burning" and the String Ensemble could handle that.

• Like 1

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox