Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Crapulator? (i.e. Noise Toy)

:wave: Just a slow day, my friend- I myself hadn't been on here much, and had only just now noticed your thread in my insomnial meanderering- and mayhap not so many people fluent at all in crap-u-now or crap-u-lator were about. :) Don't feel bad.

I'm sure I've told you about it before, including on your very first thread here, I believe- if it counts as such a crapulator, my personal favorite crapulator would be my Maniac Music Sustainiac Model C, which clamps a vibrating transducer (think tiny but powerful guitar-speaker) on the guitar's headstock to induce harmonic-feedback not unlike the results of loud, gainy amps and speakers near the guitar. :rawk::cool: My Octron Octave-Up AND Octave-Down Fuzz goes fantastically well with it. Stomp and hold the infinite-repeat footswitch on my El Capistan during fuzzy feedback freakouts and all manner of crazy sounds leap out.

What's yours, Winston?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'd really have to think...but my Onoho CHK CHK BOOM is probably the front runner. It's a simple feedback looper that only works when you press the button. Then, things go crazy as it oscillates...

I think the only thing that would make it better would be making it as a Wah-style pedal, so you could "park" the crazy.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

..."park" the crazy.

:crazy::D:2thu:

@Dannyalcatraz - try an EHX Freeze pedal, it's essentially a short duration Hold pedal. Works in either Latch or Momentary modes. Try putting it on either side of the CHK CHK Boom, see what happens. You could also try any Delay pedal with a Hold/Loop function, to capture the crazy sound at its peak. You would think they'd add an Exp In jack, for something like that?

@Caevan - all good, brother, I realize not many folks here are into signal abuse.

I really liked the WMD Geiger Counter CI, but it just made me want to keep an eye out for the full-size model. The Dream Reaper that showed up in the "New Effects" thread seemed close to what I want, something completely out there. Those were two that stood out. The new Digitech FreqOut looks like fun, too, although it's not quite in the same camp. I still miss my old Boss Feedbacker, and the FreqOut seems to cover that territory, and beyond. The faux E-Bow sound is very impressive.

My main oddball box is a Digitech XP-300 Space Station; yes, really. It never leaves my Music room, especially now that they've gone up to $400/500 on Ebay!?!?!?! Nuts. The sounds are pretty cool, overall, and a number of them are truly unique; others, I might be able to reproduce with the right chain of effects, along with a Volume/Exp pedal, but there is no one box that will give me all those sounds in one place. However, both the Dream Reaper and the Geiger Counter have Exp/CV Inputs, which might get me closer. At the very least, I like the idea of real-time dynamic control over the effects, and an Expression Pedal adds that.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I'm really not into making weird sounding guitar noises with pedals, so not much (very limited) experience that I could add here...but, back in my Juno60-analog-synthesizer-keyboard-days, I took the opportunity to make some cool space age and other freaky sounds using all sorts of pitch bending, knob adjusting, arpeggiated stuff when the song (or my mind) called for it LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

@Winston - right now, I can't recall if there is or isn't. I tell ya, tho...if I had an expression pedal for every pedal I own that has a jack for one, I could probably make a keeeeRAYzey pedalcarpet. And what emitted therefrom?

"My God, man- those sounds! It is as if someone slammed a humpback whale in the junk!!!"

"Aye. And with an electric bagpipe...the fiend!"

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

The standard Geiger Counter is a killer pedal. I'd have to say the only reasons I'd rank it below the CCB! is complexity and thus, utility. The CCB! is usable anytime, anywhere, whenever the spirit moves you. It can be used subtly.

But the Geiger Counter? That one you have to think about it, because on some settings it goes from 0 => ATOMIC in no time flat. Ditto things like the Rainbow Machine or my PhotoTheremin.

@Winston - right now, I can't recall if there is or isn't. I tell ya, tho...if I had an expression pedal for every pedal I own that has a jack for one, I could probably make a keeeeRAYzey[/] pedalcarpet. And what emitted therefrom?

"My God, man- those sounds! It is as if someone slammed a humpback whale in the junk!!!"

:freak::crazy::laugh::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::D

OK Danny A...I too was think'en 'bout miss'en those Whale in heat underwater expression pedal sounds that I could make on me Juno 60...I could also get into the windstorm sounds for those Garth Brooks friends in low places Thunder Rolls tornado stuff!

But, slamming a humback in the junk with a bagpipe is not a goodt idea man! Better to use a harpoon or leave the big fellas alone. Just sayin Moby would not appreciate the concept and I wouldn't care to be in the same part of the ocean when he gets irritated LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I agree. I don't want to hit Moby inthe junk with an electric bagpipe, either.

http://www.theweeklings.com/wp-content/uploads/moby-innocents.jpg

I mean, why make him even sadder?

@Winston - right now, I can't recall if there is or isn't. I tell ya, tho...if I had an expression pedal for every pedal I own that has a jack for one, I could probably make a keeeeRAYzey pedalcarpet. And what emitted therefrom?

I know whereof you speak. More than 2/3 of my pedal array consists of footswitches & Exp pedals, rather than sound effects, at this point. I use one of the king-size Pedaltrain pedalboards, just to hold all 10 controller pedals for my FX rack. Like Mr. Wilde said, "Nothing succeeds like Excess."

Still, while I would never even consider jabbing a humpback in the junk with an Electric Bagpipe, I'm reasonably sure I can conjure the Song of the Sauropod with Intestinal Distress.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

OK Danny A...I too was think'en 'bout miss'en those Whale in heat underwater expression pedal sounds that I could make on me Juno 60...I could also get into the windstorm sounds for those Garth Brooks friends in low places Thunder Rolls tornado stuff! :cool:

@Larryz - Man, I would LOVE to get my paws on a Juno! If you really miss yours, you might want to look at this- Roland Ju-06. I've read very favorable reviews of this RI series, so it's worth looking into. There is a keyboard attachment available, as well - K-25m

• Like 1

I can elicit some pretty unusual sounds with the aforementioned feedback and octave-fuzz/ring-mod-ish stuff in my arsenal; more 'out' than one might expect. And I'm sure that the Sustainiac feedback-generator would serve you VERY well with your crapulators, too, Winston!

The 'wow-&-flutter' modulation-effect of tape-style-echo makes everything better, as well. :cool:

I'm beginning to think I need to record a song called "Slam a humpback in the junk" in my best Ronnie James Dio voice, while using my rig to evoke said humpback junk slappery.
  • Haha 1

OK Danny A...I too was think'en 'bout miss'en those Whale in heat underwater expression pedal sounds that I could make on me Juno 60...I could also get into the windstorm sounds for those Garth Brooks friends in low places Thunder Rolls tornado stuff! :cool:

@Larryz - Man, I would LOVE to get my paws on a Juno! If you really miss yours, you might want to look at this- Roland Ju-06. I've read very favorable reviews of this RI series, so it's worth looking into. There is a keyboard attachment available, as well - K-25m

If I ever do go back to playing keyboard, I will get my hands on another Juno60. It can make all sorts of cool sound effects and then go back and do some very clean and warm organ, strings and horns... :thu:

Take care, Larryz

I gave it away. I have way too much gear and I was never going to use it again but mine was the Boss GT-3. It had some sort of quasi-synth section that I used for special effects like the synthy sounds like in the intro to Gunpowder and Lead.

You could actually do quite a bit with the synthy patches. Not really sure how it worked. I don't think it had actual oscillators. maybe it was something like a Pog.

The Ampeg Patch 2000 was really cool and the tracking was instantaneous because the synth was hardwired to the frets. The one I played came with a Hagstrom Swede controller which was one of my favorite guitars. I still have an early 70s Swede gig with when I need a humbuggy guitar.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I gave it away. I have way too much gear and I was never going to use it again but mine was the Boss GT-3. It had some sort of quasi-synth section that I used for special effects like the synthy sounds like in the intro to Gunpowder and Lead.

You could actually do quite a bit with the synthy patches. Not really sure how it worked. I don't think it had actual oscillators. maybe it was something like a Pog.

The Ampeg Patch 2000 was really cool and the tracking was instantaneous because the synth was hardwired to the frets. The one I played came with a Hagstrom Swede controller which was one of my favorite guitars. I still have an early 70s Swede gig with when I need a humbuggy guitar.

Still have my GT-3 . . . and an ME-25, a GT-6b, and a GT-10. I still use them all, especially for live set-ups. The Ring Mod in the GT processors is pretty sick, too. I also have four different Roland Guitar Synths . . .

Looking more for a stand-alone, Pandora's Box kind of effect, a pestilence in pedal form.

That Ampeg rig is very cool! Never seen one before, so many thanks for that!

Y' know, one hallmark of that Sustainiac Model C is literal, actual infinite sustain, as well as fattening harmonic-overtones.

That lends itself greatly to crafting all manner of sounds.

Add a volume-pedal or, say, a VFE Bumblebee (HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended!!), along with whatever you may choose, and you can make all kinds of cool and/or weird noises!

Y' know, one hallmark of that Sustainiac Model C is literal, actual infinite sustain, as well as fattening harmonic-overtones.

Add a volume-pedal or, say, a VFE Bumblebee (HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended!!), along with whatever you may choose, and you can make all kinds of cool and/or weird noises!

You and I are often following similar paths, from slightly different directions, brother! Just as we're both fans of Attack Delay devices, that Infinite Sustain thing has been part of my quest for some time. I wore out one E-Bow - the switch, at least - which I've replaced. I load up most of my GT patches with the Feedbacker effect, and I've been looking for a nice used Fernandes Montery with a Sustainer built in. +10 on the Volume Pedal: With just a Volume Pedal and an E-Bow, you can manage some monstrous sounds.

I'd like to hear more about the various Bumblebee models? The Quantum Drive seems like it would go nicely with a Compressor and an Attack Delay, and it would be nice to have both functions in one pedal.

.... that Infinite Sustain thing has been part of my quest for some time. ....

Dildo vibrator..... seriously.

In pedal steel the formula for infinite sustain besides humungous wound pickups is very large amplifiers cranked up and very good volume pedals. As notes start to die you feed the amp a little more with the pedal. It takes a while to learn how to really use the volume pedal. The volume pedal is the heart of a steel rig. That is why everyone uses Hilton and Goodrich volume pedal. A cheap pedal volume pedal starts at $300. I sort of had a similar 6 string setup till the guitar got stolen in 87. It was a Japanese Strat with a Dimarzio X2N installed in the bridge. At the time I think is was the hottest electric guitar pickup ever. I was a beast. Together with dirt pedals and volume pedal and a good amplifier preamp section it did the infinite sustain thing.

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

.... that Infinite Sustain thing has been part of my quest for some time. ....

Dildo vibrator..... seriously.

IF you don't mind having your hand full.

In pedal steel the formula for infinite sustain besides humungous wound pickups is very large amplifiers cranked up and very good volume pedals. As notes start to die you feed the amp a little more with the pedal. It takes a while to learn how to really use the volume pedal. The volume pedal is the heart of a steel rig. That is why everyone uses Hilton and Goodrich volume pedal. A cheap pedal volume pedal starts at $300.

I'd bet that a really high-quality studio-grade compressor would really help there, as well.

I sort of had a similar 6 string setup till the guitar got stolen in 87. It was a Japanese Strat with a Dimarzio X2N installed in the bridge. At the time I think is was the hottest electric guitar pickup ever. I was a beast. Together with dirt pedals and volume pedal and a good amplifier preamp section it did the infinite sustain thing.

I'd also bet that some feedback was also a part of that sustain, too.

I like hot pickups; they help with feedback, sensitivity, and allow me a broad range of dynamics from my fingerstyle-picking "touch" , from soft to loud, clean to dirty.

You and I are often following similar paths, from slightly different directions, brother! Just as we're both fans of Attack Delay devices, that Infinite Sustain thing has been part of my quest for some time. I wore out one E-Bow - the switch, at least - which I've replaced. I load up most of my GT patches with the Feedbacker effect, and I've been looking for a nice used Fernandes Montery with a Sustainer built in. +10 on the Volume Pedal: With just a Volume Pedal and an E-Bow, you can manage some monstrous sounds.

I'd like to hear more about the various Bumblebee models? The Quantum Drive seems like it would go nicely with a Compressor and an Attack Delay, and it would be nice to have both functions in one pedal.

The last two or three iterations of the VFE Bumblee, going by external graphics, are the bee-all (pun intended!) and end-all of that line, and among the very, very best 'attack delay', 'envelope-controlled volume-swell' pedals ever. Peter had repeatedly, gradually tweaked its circuit and components to fine-tune it to quite an nth-degree. It's been discontinued- as were ALL of the VFE pedals up to that time, replaced with a simplified line- but there are plenty that turn up on Rever, eBay, Craigslist, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the Bumblebee Jr; I'm sure it's a great swell-pedal, but the optical-compressor in the full-on Bumblebee makes a BIG difference.

I view the attack-delay and optical-compression sides of the pedal to be part of the same whole, the 'swell' effect. Its optical-compressor circuit, which has but one control, "Sustain", is very good and transparent- but its primary function here is to keep the 'gate from prematurely cutting off the envelope-tail. Once dialed-in, it works very smoothly and intuitively! ESPECIALLY if fingerstyle picking and muting and damping are employed to effectively make it touch-controlled.

I still also have and use a good volume-pedal; it's good to have both at my feet. Sometimes I want a different swell-rate, if you will, than that of the Bumblebee, or even more detailed, rapid-fire control. When I'm good 'n' practiced-up, I'm pretty damn good at manipulating the volume-pedal with my foot, and the Bumblebee via my "touch", if I say so myself!

And I still think that a Sustainiac Model C and an Octron would REALLY serve you well! You'd love 'em!

Feedback. Oh yeah. You could nail the lick at 2:30.

[video:youtube]

Nice! Yeah, that's EXACTLY what the Sustainiac Model C (clamps a vibrating transducer on the headstock) can and will do VERY well- that harmonic-overtone laden feedback, swell, and sustain- but at ANY volume, even ZERO, with no speakers or anything, going silently direct.