Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

(side note; I am 40 minutes late to work this morning after watching/listening to that AMAZING work from Heresy Scott linked us too in his comments...wow, what a beautiful production!)

Thank you so much, Aspen, you've made my day!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

BTW, currently I notice Eminence has the normally $35 ASD:1000 on sale for $30 with free shipping! (just a bit less than cdom paid :>)

Ain't that the truth!

Aspen, we all look froward to the results of YOUR experiment. And, even though some of us will always be searching for our own Holy Grail, let me just say, in all my years of playing live music using electric/electronic keyboards, I have never been as pleased with my stage sound as I am with the SS3. And, I get more compliments from those-in-the-know, witnessing the magic sound emanating from my little black box. Congratulations on a great product and for being there for us "little guys".

NS2 / NE2 / PX-5S / Monologue / Reface CP & DX / Organ Grinder / Vent1 / MXR Talk Box / L6DL4 / Zed10FX / SS3 / B1200D

BTW, currently I notice Eminence has the normally $35 ASD:1000 on sale for $30 with free shipping! (just a bit less than cdom paid :>)

Ain't that the truth!

Aspen, we all look froward to the results of YOUR experiment.\

OK, her's my first report back to you on possible upgrade from Eminence SS3 APT coax HF driver to new SXL ASD: 1000 HF driver; .

ooops, she no fits!

While the male/female parts do fit....the increased sized of the ASD (width/height) conflicts with the SS3 troidal Xfmr, and even moreso with the new SS3 'Lite' because it's lightweight DSPU box has an even larger footprint in that tiny cab and the ASD driver simply does mot fit! Oh well, good thought while it lasted!

I believe I could relocate the torodial Xfmr upward inside the SS3 cab...but I'd have to see if that had any negative consequence for Hum in that very small space.

But even IF I could move the xfmr and squeeze a ASD in there...I would still need to change 4 resisters and capacitors to lower the x-over from 15KHz to around 12,5 KHD Hz.

More when I Have more to report...meanwhile enjoy your SS3 'as is'...you really can't go wrong!

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Ain't that the truth!

Aspen, we all look froward to the results of YOUR experiment.

Ok, bad news guys; the ASD doen't fit in the SS3...the torodial xfmr interfers w/ the deeper and wider HF driver...so no room 'as is' to screw the larger ASD in....ooops!

The new SS3 'Lite' with a DSPU has even a wider footprint, so no way on that one either...shucks, I was looking forward to reporting back.

I think if i redrilled the mounting nut up and raised the Torodial Xfmr 'up', maybe 2", then it may work.

Some day I will get around to trying it (love a challenge), but that is alot more work and I haven't have ANY spare time for that adventure lately.

Hang in there and I'll report back shortly!

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Hi Aspen

Could you let us know please how we would identify the 'new' SSv3s (the lighter ones) for when they appear in retail chains...e.g. is there a serial number run to be looking out for?

Thanks

Nick

The last 4 digits of the serial number tell you the month and year of it's production; so Run #10 made in October of last year will read '1016'.

Guys -

I'm sorry to announce that I've just had to ban Aspen from the forum.

There are set rules about using this forum for marketing and promotion. Because I have a long relationship with Aspen, I've been more lax with him than I should have been (a mistake on my part). I've cleaned up multiple violations since he started posting here, and repeatedly asked him to stop putting me in an uncomfortable position.

Today, he unfortunately put up a post with multiple violations, including a request for forum members to help him grow his dealer network. That's simply not allowed here.

As most of you know, I typically do not discuss bannings. I'm making an exception and making this announcement because I'm sure people will notice Aspen is gone and it'll come up.

I have no wish to discuss or debate this decision. I do want to take a minute to assure anyone who is thinking of calling me out or questioning me on this that there is a whole bunch of stuff you didn't see, so you most probably aren't in a position to evaluate the situation.

I hope you guys will understand and respect my decision, and realize that nobody gets banned from here lightly. This is a good and informative thread - please do not derail it.

For anyone wanting to contact Aspen, he's plenty easy to find.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Guys -

There are set rules about using this forum for marketing and promotion. Because I have a long relationship with Aspen, I've been more lax with him than I should have been (a mistake on my part). I've clened up multiple violations since he started posting here, and repeatedly asked him to stop putting me in an uncomfortable position.

Today, he unfortunately put up a post with multiple violations, including a request for forum members to help him grow his dealer network. That's simply not allowed here.

As most of you know, I typically do not discuss bannings. I'm making an exception and making this announcement because I'm sure people will notice Aspen is gone and it'll come up.

I have no wish to discuss or debate this decision. I do want to take a minute to assure anyone who is thinking of calling me out or questioning me on this that there is a whole bunch of stuff you didn't see, so you most probably aren't in a position to evaluate the situation.

I hope you guys will understand and respect my decision, and realize that nobody gets banned from here lightly. This is a good and informative thread - please do not derail it.

For anyone wanting to contact Aspen, he's plenty easy to find.

dB

I'm with you on this issue.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

He seems like an incredibly kind, enthusiastic guy, always supportive but always positioning his feedback to highlight his product. this is normal, human, and to me - expected. no qualms. I've nothing but nice thoughts personally about him.

But i wondered how his singular promotional access squared vs all other manufacturers and developers. I wish him well, but i respect and support your decision 100%. it was an imbalance and i think you took the appropriate and measured step for what you see is the good of the forum.

KC is very important to us, you do a fantastic job and we soooo appreciate all you do.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

... as a rule you can multiply the raw component cost to the manufacturer by 5x to get the end cost for you...the end user. So a $30 mid driver (my cost) will translate to around $150 of the total cost of a speaker at your cost!

Sorry, I don´t understand that cost estimation.

There are 3 Eminence APT drivers models available, APT-50 (EUR 25.-), APT-80 (EUR 33.-) and APT-150 (EUR 35.-),- all end user prices incl. 19% VAT.

I assume you use the APT-80 in the SSv3.

EUR:USD relation is about 1:1 actually,- means "YOUR" price for the APT-80 is (about) EUR 3.- cheaper than the end user price and then you calculate by x5,- yes ?

That means to me, in your cabinet, I pay EUR 150,- for a driver I myself can buy for EUR 33.- enduser price.

Well, that´s a deal ! :D

B.t.w., I get the VAT back because I´m a pro (like you),- that´s about EUR 6.- ...

So, I can buy the part cheaper than you and even I only buy a single item.

Now, I expected, when buying in larger quantities, you get a much better price,- no ?

C´mon man, who believes this ?

No offense, since I accept you make the money w/ your idea, concept and patented technology for a device offering stereo from a single spkr-cab due to the built in M/S decoder encoder electronics.

(BTW, someone here asked why a 3 Ohm voice coil, and while we started with a 4 Ohm sample we later specified a 3 Ohm to get more energy from the Class D amp. This Class D can actually drive as low as 2 Ohms..and you do get significantly more power the lower you drive it. And, when designing a self powered cab we are not limited to standard 2/4/8 Ohm impedance loads because we are designing an integrated system with no 'extension speaker outputs'....so you cannot mis match the impedances.

Well, that was me asking.

Yes, you can suck more power from any amp when the impedance of the load is as low as possible.

But normally, the specified impedance of a speaker is the average impedance and it can go much lower as also higher.

I recognized MOST speakers being available are 8-ohms average, amongst other things by safety reasons.

To be fair, that´s somewhat exaggerated since most amps work well w/ 4 ohm loads,- but don´t you think an average 3Ohm load can become critical even w/ an amp being capable handling 2 ohm loads ?

So, when using a class-d amp offering, let´s say 500W RMS into 4 ohms, what´s the benefit in watts when using a load of 3 ohms w/ the background you´d drive a 12" Eminence (Beta?) speaker?

How hot does the amp run w/ that load ?

However, for the MId driver (and tweeter) of the SXL Front system I chose an Eminence catalog Titanium mid driver to complete the coax package. Their USA Made ASD:1001, see: http://www.eminence.com/speakers/driver-detail/?model=ASD1001S

Also EUR 33.- enduser price

This driver has an extended HF response (so that is why we could eliminate the super tweeter in the SXL) and also it has lower crossover (2.5K vs. 3.5K). So it 'goes lower' and is punchier than the APT ... .

Well, I appreciate the decision not putting all the load on the mid/hf driver in a 2-way system like many others do when choosing a x-over frequency (far) below 2KHz.

2.5KHz or higher is much better, thx.

But because I´m picky and your SXL cab will be about twice the price of the SSv3 but only a 2-way system vs 3-way (SSv3):

Why did you use a 1" mid/hi driver again even the x-over frequency is lower now and the front-system is only bi-amped ?

It´s well known, larger diaphragm diameters sound better (especially for keyboards/synths) in a 2-way cab w/ 15" or 12" woofer where the x-over frequency will be lower than in a 3-way system w/ a 8" woofer.

Another important question I always forgot asking in the discussions about SSv3 already:

Do the mid/hi drivers in the center of the coax speaker use their dedicated wave guide, avoiding frequency modulation of mid/hi signal by back and forth movement of the woofer cone ?

At least in the studio monitor department this is a critical feature when missing,- and I myself I wonder if that might be the reason, it sounds good for EP and organ (leslie sim) but not so much for acoustic piano samples/models.

A.C.

P.S.:

Just recognized Aspen is banned now,- bummer !

I always found the discussion interesting as also I had the impression he´s a cool guy.

So I avoid deleting my post hopefully including points worth to discuss.

Guys -

Thanks for the transparency, Dave!

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

I think the banning of Aspen is a drag. I love this forum and I totally appreciate your efforts, Dave. But Aspen's presence and perspective have been important factors for me as well. I hope you can find it in your heart to make it a temporary ban, and that he will stick to forum rules in case you let him back.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

I think the banning of Aspen is a drag. I love this forum and I totally appreciate your efforts, Dave. But Aspen's presence and perspective have been important factors for me as well. I hope you can find it in your heart to make it a temporary ban, and that he will stick to forum rules in case you let him back.

+1. It's rare to get such candid feedback publicly from the manufacturer/developer/inventor. Guess we just need to find another place to do that. Not mad at Dave, rules is rules, but the interaction here is why I bought my SS and love it.

dB

Can we please honour our moderators request and move on?

:nopity:

dB

Can we please honour our moderators request and move on?

Agreed. But I must insist that we stick to the American spelling of all words: it's "honor," damn it! ;)

Good on dB. Have quietly observed most of this thread, support our moderator that the rules have to apply equally to all.

Thanks for keeping everyone honest, dB.

Back on topic - Thursday SS gig - crazy funk gig. Friday SS gig - straight jazz combo. Tonight's SS gig - corporate affair @ the Ritz Carlton. Glad it provides me the flexibility for all these gigs. Hasn't failed me yet (knock on wood).

Has anyone else used both yet?

dB

I haven't heard the new, lighter one yet, let alone use one. Were I to purchase another it would be the XL. For my purposes the differences wouldn't be enough to justify something so similar.

:nopity:

Found a new talent for the SSv3 -- personal stage monitor. The trick is to get an amp stand that lays it back enough (oriented sideways) so that it's pointing right at your head. The side-firing (now bottom firing) speaker does its thing, so I get stereo. And the other musos say they hear "enough" of me.

Someone could write a book -- or at least a long blog post -- on all the placement tricks I've learned with this unit. It's the key to making it work for you.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Found a new talent for the SSv3 -- personal stage monitor. The trick is to get an amp stand that lays it back enough (oriented sideways) so that it's pointing right at your head. The side-firing (now bottom firing) speaker does its thing, so I get stereo. And the other musos say they hear "enough" of me.

Someone could write a book -- or at least a long blog post -- on all the placement tricks I've learned with this unit. It's the key to making it work for you.

I've been doing this where I've set up about 6' behind a horn section and they probably hear me better than I hear myself.

Here for the gear.

Received my SSV3 about a year. I've used it horizontally on an amp stand the whole time. Works great for me. Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference whether the side speaker is facing up or down, using the back wall or the floor as a reflecting surface.
Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

+1. It's rare to get such candid feedback publicly from the manufacturer/developer/inventor. Guess we just need to find another place to do that. Not mad at Dave, rules is rules, but the interaction here is why I bought my SS and love it.

I have to echo both these posts. While I understand that DB totally followed the forum rules in his decision, I don't understand the need for this rule. What difference does it make if a manufacturer is singing the praise of his product or if a fellow forumite is singing the praise of that same product? I'm actually going to be more influenced by the fellow forumite. It just seems like we're all adults who vet products according to our own needs and aren't easily swayed by a manufacturer's hype. That's my two cents.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Fwiw that's how I set up 90% of the time, horizontally on an amp stand.

I did that for the first couple of months, then got lazy and haven't really noticed a big difference. I do like to have the side speaker about a foot from the wall.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin