Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2830802 - 01/24/17 07:50 PM OT: Turntables
Skinny Offline
Platinum Member

Belt drive vs. direct drive... which do you prefer, and why?

KC Island
#2830806 - 01/24/17 08:07 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: Skinny]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I prefer direct drive. DJ's use direct drive for the torque and getting the platter up to speed fast. I like it because I feel like it's more durable over time - no belts to stretch, rot, come off, etc. Some audiophiles prefer belt because the belt absorbs rumble from the motor makeing for a lower noise floor. I'm not convinced.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2830811 - 01/24/17 08:32 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: J. Dan]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

At least in the old days, the cheaper turntables were typically belt, and the high end stuff was more often direct. For whatever that's worth.

#2830819 - 01/24/17 09:11 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: AnotherScott]
justin_havu Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somersworth, NH
I could go either way. Mine happens to be a belt-drive, and I still get a little rumble, however that is easily taken care of by engaging the subsonic filter on my control center (I have a Marantz 500 series system with a separate control module and power amp.)

#2830822 - 01/24/17 09:15 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: justin_havu]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/

Not sure where in the quality level you're aiming for, but the guys at The Wirecutter's best pic is a direct drive. I have that exact one, and I've been very pleased with it.

#2830825 - 01/24/17 09:35 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: zxcvbnm098]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

IMHO, you can't go wrong with a relatively vintage technics direct drive Mine is an SL-3300 I got for $50 at a pawn shop. The ortofonafom cartridge was probably worth more than that, I recently replaced the stylus, which cost more than I paid for the turntable,

High end turntables break down this way:

1). Base, more mass the better, means to isolate the music from environmental effects
2) platter - the skinny part. It rotates.
3) tone arm: this is where you get into tracking force, angle and all kinds of stuff - just need to make sure it's adjustable enough to match the cartridge and stylus.
4) cartridge/stylus: probably the single most important thing, frequency response, channel separation, dynamic range, distortion....all defined by the cartridge/stylus combo. Period.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2830828 - 01/24/17 09:48 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: J. Dan]
davedoerfler Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
'88 Kawai 52" Upright,'61 Hammond A100,'81 Rhodes 88 Mark II Stage,'71 Wurlitzer 200, Clavinet E7, Moog Voyager, Leslies 142/Studio 12, Yamaha CP70, DSI Prophet 08, Arp Solina, Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo

#2830838 - 01/25/17 12:13 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: davedoerfler]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
My rig is a VPI HW19 III (a belt drive audiophile table), Rega RB300 tonearm, and Dynavector 10x MC cart into a Hagerman tube phono preamp.

Which basically means this stuff can get ridiculously expensive quickly - and more importantly to Skinny's question - I think there are a lot of additional variables that go into the end result of your vinyl than simply chocolate vs. vanilla / PC vs. Mac / belt drive vs. direct.

#2830859 - 01/25/17 05:54 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: davedoerfler]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

LOL Dave. smile

I remember going to my best friends house in the late 70's. I had loaned him a stack of LP's and found them stacked up on the floor, all out of the covers, and all scratched up. After that I never loaned any of my LP's to anyone.

Now my nephews all want turntables and LP's. Inside I'm thinking "Why do you want to go there?" Outside I'm offering to give them my old LP's just to get rid of them.

Just when we reach a point of making digital sound good, LP's come back into vogue.

#2830865 - 01/25/17 06:10 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: RABid]
Strays Dave Offline

I have maybe about 400 albums from back when I was playing them and they were "current" technology. I'm looking at buying a turntable and moving my stereo to my living room (it's in a room in the back of the house currently).

I've been reading and pondering the Sony hi-res turntable linked below. The price was $600 and has been dropping. I'm wondering if some other companies will venture into high resolution. So I'm waiting, pondering and reading. But I like the idea of ripping UP instead of down to mp3's. Time will tell.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-PSHX500-Res-Turntable-Black/dp/B01D8RWMGQ

#2830867 - 01/25/17 06:15 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: RABid]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
I've got a Rega Planar 2 (belt drive) which occasionally gets a spin. You can still get replacement belts, and it sounds just fine.

#2830869 - 01/25/17 06:39 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: RABid]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Bought my last turntable in 1976, an AR XB1. It has a compression spring sub chassis, a design that was later implemented in the Linn Sondek LP12 and others like Roksan.

It does both 45 and 33. Just lift the really heavy platter off and move the belt to change speeds. Yep it ramps up to speed so not suitable for a DJ. But once it gets up to speed it will hold it all night night night night night.

Still got it, don't use it, might sell it to a vintage loving hipster who relishes expense and inconvenience. I will throw in a cartridge alignment protractor.

The vinyl snap, crackle, pop reminds me of eating rice bubbles while listening to music.

#2830882 - 01/25/17 08:01 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: zxcvbnm098]
Skinny Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: zxcvbnm098
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/

Not sure where in the quality level you're aiming for, but the guys at The Wirecutter's best pic is a direct drive. I have that exact one, and I've been very pleased with it.

I was contemplating that one... it seems that the tonearm does not return when the record is done; is that true?

#2830884 - 01/25/17 08:05 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: Skinny]
Skinny Offline
Platinum Member

BTW, right now I'm using a lower-end belt-driven model that I got at Radio Shack about 8 years ago; I think the original price was $100. It seems to play records slightly fast, although the overall sound quality is fine. So, really, I'm looking for a more speed-accurate model, although I know that can be affected by other factors, too (fluctuating AC power? )

#2830906 - 01/25/17 09:21 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: Skinny]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Most decent turntables have pitch controls. Mine uses a strobe - the 60Hz power flashes a light on reflective squares on the side of the platter and you adjust the speed until they look like they are standing still.

#2830922 - 01/25/17 10:50 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: J. Dan]
Skinny Offline
Platinum Member

Dan, once you get it set, does it stay pretty solid, or does it fluctuate at all?

#2830923 - 01/25/17 10:54 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: Skinny]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

I go years without touching it, and if it does end up off it's very minor (not audible)

#2830925 - 01/25/17 10:57 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: J. Dan]
hazerkeys Offline

Loc: canandaigua, ny
I recently got an entry level ProJect Debut turntable and am incredibly happy - yes, not a "convenient" as Cds .. but there really is a sonic difference (much better, warmer, etc) - regular CDs are great, but try making one from over compressed itunes and your ears will bleed - at the risk of coming across like an audio snob, listening to quality music through quality speakers, etc has been lost these days I fear

#2830928 - 01/25/17 11:08 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: hazerkeys]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Agreed on analog.

But be prepared for the backlash. I've found lots of naysayers that digital is more accurate, analog is dirty, etc. I trust my ears and far prefer vinyl on great speakers.

The difficult part for me is only 20 minutes before you have to get off your tush.

#2830938 - 01/25/17 11:32 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: timwat]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: timwat

The difficult part for me is only 20 minutes before you have to get off your tush.

Remember the record players where you could stack records and when it would get to the end, it would drop the next one and keep playing?

#2830939 - 01/25/17 11:34 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: J. Dan]
Skinny Offline
Platinum Member

My parents still have theirs. It's a Lear (or Learjet?) console from the mid 70's.

#2830941 - 01/25/17 11:46 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: J. Dan]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: J. Dan

Remember the record players where you could stack records and when it would get to the end, it would drop the next one and keep playing?

Yeah, I grew up listening to my folks Garrard changer.

#2830966 - 01/25/17 12:44 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: J. Dan]
harmonizer Offline
Gold Member

Loc: NJ, USA
4) cartridge/stylus: probably the single most important thing, frequency response, channel separation, dynamic range, distortion....all defined by the cartridge/stylus combo. Period.

J. Dan made an excellent point, which I think is being overlooked. All this talk about "which turntable is best" is rounding error, when you consider the impact that the cartridge will have on the sound quality.

The guy who had the best stereo on my dorm floor at college had spent more money on his cartridge than on his turntable. And his speakers were absurdly efficient stage monitors (with 15 inch woofers). Every piece of his stereo between his cartridge and his speakers was crap, but the sound of his stereo blew away everyone else's because he had put his dollars in the right places.

#2830968 - 01/25/17 12:50 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: harmonizer]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Belt drive is FAR preferable. The myth of "direct drive superiority" was blown apart decades ago. Much less reliable, more to go wrong, harder and more expensive to fix, less flexible, etc.

#2830980 - 01/25/17 01:18 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: Mark Schmieder]
richforman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
Anybody watch the IFC series "Marron"? There was a funny scene where our hero Marc Marron is in a hipster record store, and the guy is telling him he needs to buy an expensive amp in addition to a turntable to play his vinyl. He gets excited and asks (something close to) "Will I hear the pain more clearly?"

#2831002 - 01/25/17 02:35 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: richforman]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
I have the early '70s Pioneer belt drive turntable that my dad bought when I was a young kid. He eventually gave it to me and it sat unused in my basement for a couple of decades until I brought it back from retirement a few years ago.

It is in near immaculate condition, using all the original parts and it works great! I remember my dad teaching me how to properly care for records and the turntable when I was young, so we've kept it in great condition!

I'm a big fan of vinyl - I had a halfway decent collection from childhood and have continued collecting over the years. I was lucky to source a giant record browsing bin from a small local shop that was downsizing, so I have a careworn relic now in my music/party room with all the records organized alphabetically with dividers, etc.

We have parties (usually centered around some kind of sports on TV), but we mute the TVs and listen to albums all night long. People love browsing through my collection and finding music and I love hearing the albums from start to finish, they way the artist sequenced them from the start. It is also really fun to look at the cover art and lyrics (sometimes posters) in album covers.

#2831035 - 01/25/17 04:51 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: eric]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
I have a 70's Dual 1228 (belt drive). I didn't use it for a few years and the belt stayed in one position. When I used finally used it I got a little warble because of the belt being 'out of round', so I would vote direct drive.

#2831130 - 01/26/17 04:32 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: MorayM]
scriabin Offline

Loc: Royal Tunbridge Wells
Originally Posted By: MorayM
I've got a Rega Planar 2 (belt drive) which occasionally gets a spin. You can still get replacement belts, and it sounds just fine.

#1 for the Rega Planar 2. Must be a UK thing. Did they ever export?

#2831135 - 01/26/17 05:07 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: harmonizer]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: scriabin

No idea I'm afraid. They're lovely machines though. The belt occasionally slips off mine as I had to get a replacement for the ball bearing that the main spindle sits on and couldn't find out the exact size for it. Mine was missing it when I bought it.

Which is why my dad's turntable sounds SO much better than mine (we have the same base model). His tonearm/cartridge combo costs more than twice as much as my whole hifi setup.

#2831143 - 01/26/17 05:43 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: scriabin]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yep widely available out here.

#2831154 - 01/26/17 06:14 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: timwat]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Agreed on analog.

But be prepared for the backlash. I've found lots of naysayers that digital is more accurate, analog is dirty, etc. I trust my ears and far prefer vinyl on great speakers.

Each to their own, but the vinyl v digital argument seems like a nostalgia trip to me.

The original recording was on tape, vinyl was just the mass distribution medium de jour. Every thing about vinyl is a compromise, wears out with every play, deep bass wide grooves V maximum play time and finicky to maintain.

Then came consumer tape cassettes, versatile, portable, compromised frequency response, tape hiss, falls apart with time.

Digital, long lasting in CD format or as a file on a computer, option for hi res audio. No maintenance.

I like digital because all I hear is the music, no surface or media noise. Same quality source material whether I listen to it at home on the hi-fi, in the car or on my phone.

#2831170 - 01/26/17 07:28 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: Markay]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Digital is certainly lower noise, but there are downsides compared to analog. They are samples, which limits resolution in both the level and time domains. On top of that, you have errors between the sampling and reconstruction stages, not to mention losses due to file compression. Theoretically, these issues should be inaudible if the A/D and D/A converters are of the highest possible quality and matched, and the sample rate and resolution are as high as possible, and lossless formats are used, but in the real world this isn't always the case, especially when it comes to mp3s.

#2831261 - 01/26/17 01:12 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: J. Dan]
Lindaru Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Idaho
Oddly I have noticed that some modern music artists (EDM, pop, hip hop) are deliberately adding "record player pop and static" into their digital recordings.

So that sound may be coming back in style.

smile

#2831266 - 01/26/17 01:15 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: Lindaru]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Lindaru
Oddly I have noticed that some modern music artists (EDM, pop, hip hop) are deliberately adding "record player pop and static" into their digital recordings.

smile

It's available as an effect on the Kronos. I added it when for a short time I was in a project that was doing Jump Around by House of Pain.

#2831276 - 01/26/17 01:29 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: MorayM]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

I have a Rega Planar 3, bought it back in 1980 when I was into that "Audiophile on a Budget" thing. Still works great, the few times I have used it. Where did you get replacement belts, I am sure I'm due...

#2831291 - 01/26/17 01:54 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: J. Dan]
MIDI2XS Offline

Originally Posted By: Lindaru

smile

It's available as an effect on the Kronos. I added it when for a short time I was in a project that was doing Jump Around by House of Pain.

The Motif Classic, ES, XS, and XF all have several "Lo-Fi" effects, including "Digital Turntable". Some preset voices in those models use that effect.

Personally, I don't see the attraction, but to each his/her own. idk

#2831424 - 01/27/17 05:24 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: Marzzz]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Marzzz

I have a Rega Planar 3, bought it back in 1980 when I was into that "Audiophile on a Budget" thing. Still works great, the few times I have used it. Where did you get replacement belts, I am sure I'm due...

From Rega themselves! I believe their new RP tables use the same belt.

#2831562 - 01/27/17 03:08 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: J. Dan]
JazzPiano88 Offline

Loc: USA

I liken it to visual arts. You go to Yosemite and see Half Dome. Would you prefer your mind's eye image, Ansel Adam's photograph, or a perfectly rendered sterile photograph with the best SNR at high noon? I think most of us would agree we prefer Ansel Adam's. Ansel's photograph adds the most "color" or has the most inaccuracies in a mathematical sense, but is far and away more preferable artistically. It's all about perception and not fidelity or accuracy. This is why many(most?) people prefer the LP sound despite its provable inferiority from an accuracy/fidelity standpoint.

Ahh yes.... smile Did anyone ever have a record come crashing down on the tonearm?

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73

#2831618 - 01/27/17 09:43 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: JazzPiano88]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Just read THIS Bloomberg article.

I think the author nailed it, the vinyl - and hard copy book - renaissance is not about audio quality, it is about folks bringing more anti-machine elements into their lifestyle.

#2831626 - 01/27/17 10:21 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: Skinny]
KenElevenShadows Offline
10k Club

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: Skinny
Belt drive vs. direct drive... which do you prefer, and why?

This isn't very scientific. It's a small sample size.

But my turntable, which I purchased with my paper route money as a kid in 1979, is a Technics direct drive. And it still works. I still have it. I've never owned another turntable. It's rare that you buy anything mechanical from that long ago and still have it work as well as the day you bought it.

#2831686 - 01/28/17 08:28 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: MorayM]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

From Rega themselves! I believe their new RP tables use the same belt.

DOH!! Of course....thx!

#2831739 - 01/28/17 12:51 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: Marzzz]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I didn't realize this was a topic about analog vs. digital.

There's a TON of material that has never been digitized and likely never will. This especially applies to bands on small indie labels, 50's through 80's and even beyond.

I have exactly one cube of 12" vinyl. Every five years or so, exactly ONE of those records gets rereleased digitally -- usually as part of an uber-expensive boxed set for "completeness".

The 30 or so awesome Boston and New England bands that didn't make it to the majors -- and even some that did -- will unlikely ever see the light of day as digital product.

There is one area though where vinyl can trump digital in raw quality, and that is the 12" single at 45rpm, which has incredible dynamic range.

I lost interest years ago in audiophile issues, as I'm too busy making music to listen to music casually anymore. I got rid of my entire high-end stereo system and am now stuck having to upload/digitize to my computer to listen, which would be OK except my awesome Onkyo Integra cassette deck broke yet again.

I bought a Stanton STR8-50 turntable in the mid-90's after I realized a lot of stuff was never going to make it to the digital world. I was unable to find a turntable that also plats 16rpm or 78rpm.

My parents have a lot of original 78's they inherited, for classical works that haven't been re-recorded since. When recording technology was new, it was where new music went as concerts tended to have to cater to a crowd more resistant to newness and change. We had to flip over the stylus for the 78's; maybe there was an MM vs. MC difference? Or maybe just a difference in depth/width/angle as 78's were lathed differently.

16rpm was common for spoken voice recording, as less dynamic range or frequency response was needed and so they could pack a lot more onto a single mono disc that way. But most of that stuff is probably available in digital format by now.

I don't recommend buying a 33rpm-only turntable, as you will inevitably come across a 45rpm long disc, whether 10" or 12" or even a hybrid disc that is 33rpm on one side and 45rpm on the other.

#2831740 - 01/28/17 12:52 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Before I moved from MA to CA in late '91, I had a wonderful Rega (Scottish brand as I recall) glass turntable. I thought one couldn't play records in CA due to all the earthquakes, so gave it to my sisters (along with all my vinyl), then a few years later realized I was going to need a turntable again but no longer cared about hi-fi as long as it was adequate.

It's been a decade or so since I last checked, but I recall Rega still being considered a "bargain" and great bang-for-buck in terms of high-end without the high cost.

#2831741 - 01/28/17 12:54 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

KenElevenShadows has a good point about buying used from an older era. In the 70's, direct drive was the way to go at the consumer or prosumer level, for the reasons he mentions.

That began to change by the late 70's -- at least from the higher end of the prosumer level on up. I liken it to tubes vs. solid state in amps, in that you can achieve great results with either, but it is easier to get good results with one technology vs. the other, at a lower price point.

#2831791 - 01/28/17 04:16 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: Mark Schmieder]
MIDI2XS Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
[...] My parents have a lot of original 78's they inherited, for classical works that haven't been re-recorded since. When recording technology was new, it was where new music went as concerts tended to have to cater to a crowd more resistant to newness and change. We had to flip over the stylus for the 78's; maybe there was an MM vs. MC difference? Or maybe just a difference in depth/width/angle as 78's were lathed differently. [...]

The tip radius for a spherical stylus meant to play LPs (16/33/45) is approximately 1 mil (0.001 inch) or a bit less than that. For 78s, it's about 3 mils, or somewhat less. The size variations relate to things such as age, mono versus stereo, and whether transcriptions. With elliptical and other non-spherical styli, those dimensions are for the major axis. Non-spherical styli are closer to the shape of the cutting stylus, and tend to better follow groove undulations, usually providing better high-frequency reproduction and lower distortion.

#2831794 - 01/28/17 04:22 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: MIDI2XS]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

I remember having a record player with the stylus you could flip over - it was 2-sided.

#2831800 - 01/28/17 04:37 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: Skinny]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Where the wild things are
I trust my ears and far prefer vinyl on great speakers.

Same here (hear?). It's an odd example, but I've yet to hear a CD of Jethro Tull's Aqualung album that sounded as good as the vinyl.

Originally Posted By: Skinny
My parents still have theirs. It's a Lear (or Learjet?) console from the mid 70's.

The inventor actually named his daughter Crystal Shanda Lear. smile

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2831829 - 01/28/17 08:03 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: J. Dan]
JazzPiano88 Offline

Loc: USA
I remember having a record player with the stylus you could flip over - it was 2-sided.

I had one too. We called it the "needle". One side was for 33/45 rpm. The other side was for 78 rpm. Also had fond memories of a bunch of dust that would build up on the needle after the record was over. You had to wipe it off and hear the "Wuf" "Wuf" "Wuf" through the speaker smile. Great memories!

Did you use the cylindrical toilet-paper-cardboard-shaped thingy (that slipped over the spindle) for 45's, or the individual wafer-like adapters?

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73

#2850721 - 04/20/17 07:38 PM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: JazzPiano88]
Skinny Offline
Platinum Member

I just got one of these tonight as an early b-day gift from my wife. A nice upgrade from my $50 Radio Shack clearance special that I've been using for about 8 years. cool

#2850748 - 04/21/17 01:24 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: Skinny]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
I have a Stanton T62 direct drive TT. It is great for mining audio. cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2850762 - 04/21/17 03:07 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: ProfD]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
My Dad's last job before retirement was VP at Pickering working directly for Walter Stanton. IIRC they also made gyroscopes for military aircraft. I also remember he scored a nice turntable cartridge for me.

#2850823 - 04/21/17 10:00 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: Marzzz]
Desert Rat Offline

Loc: Arizona, U.S.

An alternate source and one that has just about anything you could ever ask for when it comes to turntables is http://www.needledoctor.com

I have a Thorens TD 126 Mk III with a Shure V-15 Type 5 cart and get my belts, etc. from Jerry at very reasonable prices.

#2850829 - 04/21/17 10:46 AM Re: OT: Turntables [Re: Delaware Dave]
Jazzmammal Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
Originally Posted By: Delaware Dave
I have a 70's Dual 1228 (belt drive). I didn't use it for a few years and the belt stayed in one position. When I used finally used it I got a little warble because of the belt being 'out of round', so I would vote direct drive.

That's no problem Dave unless it's really extreme. Just let it run as long as it takes for the belt to sort itself out. A few hours at the most should do it.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner