Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a young pensioner (74) I at last found the time to enjoy my Tyros3, now bought this B-5 App and the cheap, Chinese "World EasyControl 9" with Editor: http://en.worlde.com.cn/

After hours of trial & error, I figured out that the controller's communication only works, when the B-3 organ App is off or cancelled in B-3 organ App's "MIDI Devices". I know little about assigning CC# and thus, encounter problems:

For instance, when I change the button from CC# 3 to CC#12 , save it and then in "Communication" click "Read Scene Data", then the chosen CC#12 automatically returns to CC#3 and ... so I got nowhere! - How to make it stay in the CC# I have chosen?

Maybe it is not possible to change the CC# to any CC# I like, because only certain CC# are designed for buttons, others for potentiometer knobs and sliders? This might be the reason this "World EasyControl 9" rejects certain CC# changes?

Please kick me in the right direction, for I seem tapping in the dark... Thanking you in advance for your expert advice.

Warm Regards, from Joh in St'go de Chile

Besides, I used to be a whistler-Muso: Here's one of the 1000 pieces to which I used twitter: https://app.box.com/s/8513ykv7bcl8fuoyaw8sfb2snu3275cv

Can you provide some more info.

Are you referring to THIS controller?

Are you using B-5 in UVI Workstation as a standalone app?

Are you using a Windows or Apple device?

I am not sure why you want to change the CC#s sent. B-5 has an assign controllers feature. Click on 'Advanced Presets' then ' Assign controllers', scroll to the item you wish to assign, for example, Upper Drawbar 1 (16'), click on the number to the left and change it to match the CC# of the slider on the controller you wish to assign to the upper manual 16' drawbar.

Repeat for every other control. Save and job done.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys

Looks like Acousticsamples is having a sale again, and the B5 can be had for whatever 69 Euros is these days (~ 75$?)

https://www.acousticsamples.net/

Really want to buy this, but as a guy in his mid-50's, my eyesight aint what it used to be.

Are the graphics big enough to see on a smaller screen, like a Microsoft Surface? And can you resize the fonts, etc?

Thanks in advance,

An ever-aging roy

Really want to buy this, but as a guy in his mid-50's, my eyesight aint what it used to be.

right there with you my brother, wearing Costco cheaters as I type this. If I get any more helpful info I'll be sure to let you know. Really wish it was Kontakt based instead of the UVI player as the Pace system is involved. I know. :deadhorse:

:nopity:

The GUI resizes to full screen on my 15" laptop screen. To my eyes the GUI is legible and fonts are not tiny, compared to say some synths. Can't comment on how it works on a zoomable touch screen like a Surface.

I think there are 4 reasons devs and AS choose to use UVI.

1. I think it was AS that said UVI offers more advanced scripting options than Kontakt.

2. In the case of AS the rotary Sim was developed by UVI.

3. UVI's financial model for devs is better than NI's.

4. The copy protectipn arrangement with Pace is built-in to the UVI player so devs do not have worry about designing it or impementing it themselves. It is easier for them to let Pace clip the ticket each time their VI is authorised.

I have had no issues yet with Pace's software licensor. Yet to see how it works out when I next migrate to a new machine.

Nonetheless if there were similar VI's available and one used Pace and the other had its own authorisation process like say Pianoteq or U-He I would always choose the one that didn't use Pace.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• 1 month later...

A quick question - the B5 program by Acoustic Samples is called a "VSTi". Does that mean it is a VST?

I have only been able to run it in the UVI Workstation player. But, if it was a VST, could I run it in a VST host? I would like to try different VST rotary simulations after B5, but I can't figure out how to.

I am specifically trying to figure out how to use Melda's Vintage Rotary simulation with B5...

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

B-5 has to run in UVI Workstation. UVI is a shell similar to Kontakt. You can 'chain' other VI's inside UVI but they have to be designed to run inside UVI.

To chain unrelated VI's the way you want, B-5 to Melda Rotary, you need to use a Host app like Cantabile for Windows or MainStage for Mac. There is a free version of Cantabile available.

In a host you load UVI, select B-5 then direct the B-5 output to the input of Melda Rotary, and then output or the input of another effect.

In a host you can set up patches that enable you to change seamlessly from say B-5 inside UVI to another instrument running inside Kontakt/Komplete.

Thank you for the tips,

I kind of figured that would be how I would run B5 with another VST effect. But I can't see how UVI will run in a host?

I use VSTHost, and I don't see any UVI .dll's that I can open in that host. Unless I am looking in the wrong place?

(**Edit - arrrgh - never mind. I found the UVI .dll! Hidden in many layers of folders...program files/steinberg/vst plugins...)

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

Haven't used VSTHost but that is a kind of default folder on Windows where most VST's will install. Typically you can set a default folder in a Host which the host will then scan for available VST's.

A quick question - the B5 program by Acoustic Samples is called a "VSTi". Does that mean it is a VST?

The 'i' stands for 'instrument'; it sort of helps to differentiate the virtual instruments from the virtual effects. In your host software you may see separate folders for each which helps to manage these different types.

Thanks for your help :)

I want to really give this B5 a good try to see if it's a fit for me. When I first got it, I thought, "Yeah baby!"

Then an hour later, I was, "Hmmm...not sure..."

I would love to find a virtual Hammond that does it all for "my ears". Everyone seems to have certain points they are particular about.

The UVI player host has excellent effects you can add after the B5 VST...I have been using an EQ to make it sound less-muffled, as well as some post-reverb. (Why Hammond VSTs often use reverb before the Leslie always baffles me! NI's vintage Organs, VB3, and this B5...)

The one thing that always stands out when using the B5 program is the Chorus/vibrato on C3. I use that C/V almost exclusively, but I feel like I am hearing some amplitude tremolo as well as the Chorus vibrato...does anyone else hear that?

It sounds off to me.

Thanks for your help :)

I want to really give this B5 a good try to see if it's a fit for me. When I first got it, I thought, "Yeah baby!"

Then an hour later, I was, "Hmmm...not sure..."

I would love to find a virtual Hammond that does it all for "my ears". Everyone seems to have certain points they are particular about.

The UVI player host has excellent effects you can add after the B5 VST...I have been using an EQ to make it sound less-muffled, as well as some post-reverb. (Why Hammond VSTs often use reverb before the Leslie always baffles me! NI's vintage Organs, VB3, and this B5...)

The one thing that always stands out when using the B5 program is the Chorus/vibrato on C3. I use that C/V almost exclusively, but I feel like I am hearing some amplitude tremolo as well as the Chorus vibrato...does anyone else hear that?

It sounds off to me.

Muffled is the perfect word! I like B5 but, like you, I find there's something that I just cant put my finger on. I always come back to VB3. Also, I found that B5 taxed my CPU in Mainstage more than VB3. I know a lot of people prefer B5 so I'm always curious to hear other opinions.

Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

Last month, Acousticsamples sent an e-mail to various users of B5 asking for MIDI CC data for the controllers we are using with B5. In a resultant e-mail exchange, Arno stated that they are working on an update containing not only improvements to the MIDI CC mapping (including presets for the most popular controllers), but also a "big sonic update." He seemed very excited about the improvements.

Reverb is before leslie because thats how the spring reverb is routed in a real hammond. Its more authentic . If you want post leslie verb thats real easy. Turn of the built in verb and add a reverb vst in the effect chain. In the mix i dont hear an issue . Pre leslie reverb might even cut a little better. Im using vb3 though.

FunMachine.

Reverb is before leslie because thats how the spring reverb is routed in a real hammond.

I understand that...but who wants to do that? It sounds plain weird. I think I recall one record where jimmy McGriff (or someone else) was using a Leslie with reverb and it sounded horrible. With the leslie on fast, it sounded like he was underwater! I would be interested to hear if anyone else has used reverb before a Leslie in Hammond recordings. Ethel Grumblinski and the Burlington Mormon choir doesn't count. :)

I'm sure there's some model Hammonds that have spring reverb, but only for using with on-board speakers. (Like L101, M3, A100, etc...)

Anyone using an A100 will have the Leslie running without any reverb going into it.

Please, give us spring reverb models when we want the Hammond without a rotating speaker, and a proper ambient hall/studio/plate after the Leslie when we want some space...

Arno stated that they are working on... a "big sonic update."

I wonder if it's going to be a Leslie "tweak"? I don't have a big issue with the B5 Leslie sim, but I read a lot of people aren't thrilled with it.

I'm sure there's some model Hammonds that have spring reverb

Yes, and also some Leslies.

If you are trying to build a complete and accurate simulation, the spring reverb effect of course has to come before the in-the-room Leslie effect... it is the only way it could have been done. That's not a judgment on how musically desirable it is or how many people will ever want to use that combination, but for accuracy, it makes sense for it to be there.

Reverb after the Leslie doesn't exist in the real thing except as the actual room reflections from the room the Leslie happened to be in (or whatever effect was added in the studio). And there are plenty of plug-ins for simulating whatever room you'd like to put it in (or whatever studio reverb effect you like). I don't really see great purpose in building room simulations (or studio-style reverbs) into a hammond/leslie emulator. I guess maybe a simple reverb effect for convenience. But a proper external reverb sim is really a whole different animal, with lots of variables of its own.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Melting Pot by Booker T & MGs comes to mind...

Very cool - I will give that a listen to. (I bet there's lots of reverberated Leslie recordings out there that I don't know. I'm probably going to be dragged over the coals now! : :crazy:

• 3 weeks later...
I see VST Buzz Deals has sent me an email this morning saying B5 Organ is 50% off for a limited time...

Couldn't resist at that price.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I see VST Buzz Deals has sent me an email this morning saying B5 Organ is 50% off for a limited time...

Couldn't resist at that price.

I also couldn't resist. But it turned out to be the worst customer experience I ever made when buying a software product. I had to register to THREE websites (!): ilok.com, vstbuzz.com and acousticsamples.net. Therefore I had to create three user ids and three passwords, followed by three downloads and a ton of installations and PC restarts: UVI, ilok and the B5 samples. And in the end after I went trough all of that, the acousticsamples.net site didn't accept my authorization code saying that another user already authorized the product. No support link, no sorry, no contact or anything. What a ridiculously awkward procedure to just install a VST instrument! I know one thing for sure: never again will I buy anything from them. Nightmare!

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)