Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Pre-CBS 1961 Fender Jazz Bass (aka, The Holy Grail of bass guitars) that I found at an estate sale. Not original and needs some work, but still a very rare find! I paid far less than what it's worth. . .

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I picked up a Lester K in a holiday sale--an impulse buy--and am running a little-used digital CX3 through it in my practice space. I'd been steeling myself to get rid of the old Korg board, but thanks to the Lester K's sonic magic, it's once again a lot of fun to play....

It's like getting two new toys for the price of one.

“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Not a purchase, but a friend of mine gave me a mid 2010 MacBook Pro. I just put Mainstage onto it, works great but a bit sluggish. I will be upgrading the MB Pro to 8GB of RAM, and swapping out the hard drive for a solid state drive.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Upgraded Arturia V-Collection to version 5. That should keep me busy for a while. Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more...

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

A set of bomb-ass patches for my Nord Stage 2. Got the board a few years ago, never really got into the synth section, and come to find out that it doesn't suck, and there are folks out there who know how to make it shine. Worth the $$$ as time is money.

New band project is looking for the aggressive synth thing. Maybe a Virus? We'll see.

Oops, almost forgot the Presonus AR16 mixing board (sold the QSC TouchMix) and a 20-channel 50' stage snake. And a butttload of mikes and mic stands. I be the sound dude these days. I could write a book about mixing small bar bands, e.g. here's what NOT to do ...

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I just picked up a CP60M. Needs a bit of tuning and maybe a couple of adjustments. If gilwe still pops in around here maybe I could get some tips and advice?

You've got some nice stuff there!

Thanks, I have the piano nearly in tune. I had a chance to use it in band practice tonight. I'm quite pleased with it. It blends nicely with the Rhodes and the Hammond. Still need to finish tuning it and fix a few double striking keys.

2 x modified Bellari RP562 using NOS/NIB RCA 5751s, sounded so good I broke down and bought a Radial Space Heater.

Actually made Keyscape Rhodes into a fat beast.

Bought the Tubed gear for HX-3 and Mains out to FOH.

Got addictive rather quick.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Last year at the annual AHMW synth-geek get-together, one of the folks there brought an old ARP 16 voice piano. He had been looking for the schematics. A few months ago I found an original service manual, so I scanned it for him.

The rumor about the noise in these things is not untrue, but I gotta say that I love the action on this piano - it really feels like you are setting hammers in motion. It's not the same action as the Chroma or Rhodes Four Voice Piano, and is not as stiff as modern DPs. Wurlitzer and Kimball were suppliers for the keysets.

After studying the schematics, it was pretty clear why they were noisy; the progress of technology since they were introduced in 1979 has promises to tame the noise. Knowing their notorious reputation for being unreliable, a study of the patents made it clear why they were unreliable, which was further confirmed from online interviews with former ARP engineers. The key contact system had an inherent flaw (the source of the melted membrane switch problem) and ARP had to replace it with a leaf contact system, the same system used in the Chroma and Rhodes 4 voice piano which were originally ARP products.

There would be few working specimens left - they rarely show up for sale, and they are generally not worth fixing up.

Last month a fixer-upper ARP 16 Voice Piano showed up on the 'bay and I grabbed it. It was in excellent physical condition, came from a studio. This one happened to be one of the last pianos made at ARP - there's a datestamp of January 1981 on the front panel, shortly before the courts shut down ARP. Being a very late model, this specimen has none of the problem components that plagued early models. I found substitute components - factory installed - that appeared to be an attempt to tame the noise.

When I got the piano, there was no audio output and two of the keys were sticking. The latter was easy to fix. All the power rails are working. At the moment, I'm in the processing of restoring the audio output which is stuck at DC (DC coupling the outputs on these things is another potential problem to correct...!).

No legs included but Rhodes legs are almost the same threading. I intend to use this for practice and for impromptu performances. Surprisingly, this is no heavier than modern DPs. And ARP put carrying handles on the bottom, including one in center front and it's not too heavy.

• 2 weeks later...
Oops:

240790.jpg

It was on eBay, it was cheap...?

I need help. :freak:

So I wasn't getting on with the Prophet so started looking to sell it - a process that was drastically sped up by the Rev 2 announcement! First offer I got was a trade for an as-new Sub 37. Fine, I thought, I can sell that for more than I could ever sell the Prophet for.

Then I got it home, unboxed it and fell completely in love. It sounds incredible. It looks gorgeous. I'm considering completely reworking the studio to fit it in, including the old ROMpleers I waxed about last week. I don't even know if it'll fit into any of my projects. Argh! :freak:

1. Dave Smith OB-6 module.

2. 26 unit DOTCOM format modular that also came with 2 standalone sequencers, 2 Moogerfooger pedals and a Moog CP-251, all cabling and power.

Ditched some other gear to make it all happen.

I had a big week.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Mutable Instruments Rings:

http://cymrubeats.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Rings.png

This is actually waiting for me at my local FedEx office, and it may be a few days before I can make it down to pick it up. Kinda frustrating! Really looking forward to playing with this, I really like the sounds from the demos I've heard, and from reading the manual and tuorials online, I have no idea how it actually works. Which to me is a good thing!

Arturia KeyStep:

http://www.producerspot.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/arturia-keystep-midi-keyboard.jpg

This is on order, should arrive in a day or 2. I'm actually a bit ambivalent about this, I'm putting together a new band that is playing with a lot of live looping and sequencing. I was hoping to make use of the step sequencers in my Euro Modular, but I'm finding for live work, a keyboard interface and sequence storage will make my life easier. I'm also using a Microbrute in this band, so I'm familiar with the sequencer interface, I find it pretty intuitive on the Mb.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

My latest music purchase was the ZVex Fat Fuzz Factory pedal. My main intention is to play this with guitar. It's a rude sounding out-of-control sort of pedal, with odd, capable of abrupt modulations, although it will do smoother fuzz sounds if you try hard enough. :D

At some point, of course, I will need to try this on keyboards, but it's primarily going to be used for guitar, I anticipate.

Just bought an Alesis iO dock today. I've been using Korg Module for jams and practice using an Alesis QS8.2 which I leave at our practice space. The action on the Alesis is fantastic. Best balance for organ and piano that I have ever played. The Korg Module sounds are great too.

http://momupro.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/iodockii_web_angle1_lg-620x360.jpg

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv94/ouananiche1/IMG_2024.jpg

Wow! What fun this is! Even my wife likes it! I set it up, and shes all let me try it. Who knew? :idk Shit, had I known thats all it took, I would have gotten one years ago! :facepalm:

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues