Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2829837 - 01/20/17 06:41 PM Korg Grandstage
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
KORG Grandstage

I understand this stand is a new product as well.

Looks like a very simple user interface. Small screen for patch/parameter viewing. Dedicated knobs. Recall buttons. Very much in the style of the SV-1. Unlike the VOX - this one looks AP/EP centric - makes sense given the action is RH3. The VOX is similar concept organ centric.

They've put a backlit glowing logo on it - user can turn on or off, ie. the Yamaha CP1. Not a fan of this, I'd definitely have mine turned off. Probably black gaff the Grandstage logo as well. YMMV

Very boxy, square and flat design. Looks like some room to put your phone or tablet - unlike the SV-1's curvy build.

The below might be accurate, I don't have a confirmed source on this:

88/73 key versions?

Pianos included:
New Italian Grand (assume Faziloi)
New Yamaha Upright
German Grand
Yamaha Grand
Austrian Grand
Berlin Grand
New CP80

The seven engines are:
SGX-2
EP-1
CX-3
HD-1
AL-1
Vox Organ
Farfisa Organ

Comes with 400 programs
Layers/Splits

No indication of timeframe nor price.

Opinions on the RH3 for acoustic piano playing?

KC Island
#2829843 - 01/20/17 07:13 PM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: ElmerJFudd]
johnchop Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Georgia, US
Like the look. Like the immediacy of control.

RH3 though... really not my favorite. I prefer lighter actions. RH3 always felt really sluggish to me.

#2829844 - 01/20/17 07:14 PM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: ElmerJFudd]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Listened to a 25 minute jack hotop performance of the grand stage. I think korg has taken the stage piano to a new heighth

#2829845 - 01/20/17 07:16 PM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: ElmerJFudd]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
Small screen for patch/parameter viewing.

If it indeed has the CX3 engine, I'd guess there would also be some way to set the levels of the 9 drawbars via that screen?

Opinions on the RH3 for acoustic piano playing?

I kind of put it in the same category as the Yamaha GH. Not bad, though perhaps a bit heavier than I'd prefer, not the quickest action out there. The RH3 did feel particularly nice when playing EPs on the SV1, though.

#2829846 - 01/20/17 07:17 PM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: GregC]
EscapeRocks Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
I really like the design. Having the controls all pushed toward the keys, with the open space in the back allows an upper board to be lower without covering the controls.

I miss those days of flat topped boards that you could place your top board directly on.

#2829847 - 01/20/17 07:18 PM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: GregC]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: GregC
Listened to a 25 minute jack hotop performance of the grand stage. I think korg has taken the stage piano to a new heighth

any link?

#2829853 - 01/20/17 07:58 PM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: AnotherScott]
BrandonBruce Offline

Loc: Ontario (ON)
Nice, intuitive interface - I like it.

#2829854 - 01/20/17 08:01 PM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: BrandonBruce]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Looks like it's designed to go up against the Nord Piano 3.

Keys: Nord Stage 2, Piano 2, Electro 4D
Practice: Yam N3, Bosie 200 Klimt Model
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Spider Pro, MG06, etc.

#2829858 - 01/20/17 08:29 PM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: cphollis]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
As a descendent of the SV1 -- which it surely seems to me -- then it's interesting how they completely ditched the hip design in favor of functionality. I liked the unique look of the SV1, but fingers banging against the control panel and occasionally changing favorites (even after they supposedly fixed this) was just stupid.

I'm hoping the 73 is around 31-32 lbs. If so, I'd be interested.

roccoromanucci.com

#2829859 - 01/20/17 08:44 PM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: cphollis]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: cphollis

Interesting comparison. Both (presumably) mid-weight stage pianos with a lot of emphasis on direct hands-on controls. I expect that the Korg will probably be lighter and cheaper, and will be better sounding for the non-piano sounds. Nord may have the edge on acoustic piano sounds, at least to the extent that many people seem to prefer the Nord piano sounds to those on the Kronos, though perhaps there will be some other piano-specific enhancements on this new board. I think EPs favor Kronos, though Nord has its fans there too. Nord allows you to load custom samples, I don't know if that Kronos functionality will make it to the Grandstage. To some people, a deciding factor could be the actions, which I think will feel quite different. Both good, but neither likely to be favored over the top-of-line actions offered by Yamaha/Roland/Kawai (generally in heavier boards). Also, if it has the CX3 engine in it, even without the realtime controls, it adds another dimension that could even help persuade someone looking at an Electro or Stage.

#2829860 - 01/20/17 08:47 PM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: AnotherScott]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott

Interesting comparison. Both (presumably) mid-weight stage pianos with a lot of emphasis on direct hands-on controls. I expect that the Korg will probably be lighter and cheaper, and will be better sounding for the non-piano sounds. Nord may have the edge on acoustic piano sounds, at least to the extent that many people seem to prefer the Nord piano sounds to those on the Kronos, though perhaps there will be some other piano-specific enhancements on this new board. I think EPs favor Kronos, though Nord has its fans there too. Nord allows you to load custom samples, I don't know if that Kronos functionality will make it to the Grandstage. To some people, a deciding factor could be the actions, which I think will feel quite different. Both good, but neither likely to be favored over the top-of-line actions offered by Yamaha/Roland/Kawai (generally in heavier boards). Also, if it has the CX3 engine in it, even without the realtime controls, it adds another dimension that could even help persuade someone looking at an Electro or Stage.

Yep. That's the post I would have written. Thanks!

#2829861 - 01/20/17 08:50 PM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: Adan]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Adan
As a descendent of the SV1 -- which it surely seems to me -- then it's interesting how they completely ditched the hip design in favor of functionality. I liked the unique look of the SV1, but fingers banging against the control panel and occasionally changing favorites (even after they supposedly fixed this) was just stupid.

I agree that the SV1 looked super cool, but didn't seem to be designed with the utmost in practicality in mind. Besides the issue you mention, as as often been discussed in the past, the curved edges and top made it somewhat difficult/uncomfortable to pick up from any angle, and also interfered with the ability to put anything on top of it. It was an Italian design, and in that respect, stereotypically so, like their history of sports cars with fantastic aesthetics but all kinds of practical issues.

Originally Posted By: Adan
I'm hoping the 73 is around 31-32 lbs. If so, I'd be interested.

Ditto. That's about my limit.

#2829864 - 01/20/17 09:10 PM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: ElmerJFudd]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Small screen for patch/parameter viewing.

Looks to be the same OLED from the Mini/Monologue synths.

#2829865 - 01/20/17 09:28 PM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: DulceLabs.com]
10k Club

If it's got a lot of the Kronos' guts in it, it might have the same kind of USB support... then maybe you could use something like a Korg Nanokontrol for real-time CX3 engine drawbar control, that would be cool...

#2829867 - 01/20/17 09:55 PM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: AnotherScott]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Not that it matters to most folks, but stage aesthtics matter to me.

As it is, I show up with All Red keyboards: Nord Stage Two, Nord Piano 2 HA 88 and Nord Electro 4D.

I'm a red boy, It doesn't suck.

The question for me?

Is it worth disinvesting in my stage stack philosophy, just to engage with the latest greatest, or stay the course?

#2829868 - 01/20/17 10:06 PM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: cphollis]
10k Club

Not that it matters to most folks, but stage aesthtics matter to me.

As it is, I show up with All Red keyboards: Nord Stage Two, Nord Piano 2 HA 88 and Nord Electro 4D.

I'm a red boy, It doesn't suck.

The question for me?

Is it worth disinvesting in my stage stack philosophy, just to engage with the latest greatest, or stay the course?

It might not take much effort to turn the Granstage largely red, if it floats your boat.

#2829900 - 01/21/17 02:35 AM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: AnotherScott]
Nadroj Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Anyone speak Japanese?

This has been the most exciting thing from NAMM this year for me. May tick all the boxes in my long sought after Electro 4 replacement.

#2829902 - 01/21/17 02:59 AM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: Nadroj]
marczellm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Budapest, Hungary
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G

#2829903 - 01/21/17 03:05 AM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: marczellm]
vanderSchoot Offline
Gold Member

Loc: The Netherlands
So can we 'hear' the thing now ? The looks are known.........now i want to hear the thing smile

Edited by vanderSchoot (01/21/17 03:06 AM)

#2829907 - 01/21/17 04:12 AM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: vanderSchoot]
TomKittel Offline

Hope it doesn't take a coffee break to boot.

#2829917 - 01/21/17 05:54 AM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: AnotherScott]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: GregC

any link?

its on FB. Some dealer made a smart phone recording- the recording quality is average at best, and video/audio jumps out of sync.

I think Korg will do a proper demo soon.

#2829918 - 01/21/17 05:59 AM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: TomKittel]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Kronos 88 - $3700
Kronos 73 - $3400
Kronos 61 - $3000
SV-1 88 - $1700
Krome 88 - $1650
SV-1 73 - $1500
Krome 73 - $1250
Krome 61 - $1050

So, if it has trickle down Kronos engines - it probably also has similar silicon inside unless they've recompiled to run on older pcb designs. So, I am going to guess, yes - it will need to boot more similarly to a Kronos. But maybe it's just lighter in that regard, so not as noticeable.

So, Kronos engines means Korg doesn't value it in the same category as the Krome. So it's going to me more expensive than a Krome. So do they insert it in the same pricing scheme as the SV-1 now? I doubt it. It will probably launch at CP4 matched pricing $2300 for the 88 and $1800-2000 for the 73.

Love the concept - not sure I can bite if the RH3 isn't the shit.

#2829921 - 01/21/17 06:10 AM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: ElmerJFudd]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Kronos 88 - $3700
Kronos 73 - $3400
Kronos 61 - $3000
SV-1 88 - $1700
Krome 88 - $1650
SV-1 73 - $1500
Krome 73 - $1250
Krome 61 - $1050

So, if it has trickle down Kronos engines - it probably also has similar silicon inside unless they've recompiled to run on older pcb designs. So, I am going to guess, yes - it will need to boot more similarly to a Kronos. But maybe it's just lighter in that regard, so not as noticeable.

So, Kronos engines means Korg doesn't value it in the same category as the Krome. So it's going to me more expensive than a Krome. So do they insert it in the same pricing scheme as the SV-1 now? I doubt it. It will probably launch at CP4 matched pricing $2300 for the 88 and $1800-2000 for the 73.

Love the concept - not sure I can bite if the RH3 isn't the shit.

I don't have a problem with the RH3 ( have the 88). It took some adaptation but that was a minor consideration for me.

I would guess that the grand stage will be on the high price side compared to its many competitors ( Roland, Yamaha, Nord). The Korg has added a few new AP's to it.

I like what I am hearing and seeing but I have preferred the Korg sound for some time. The NAMM instrument was a prototype. So I don't expect any hard data about boot time, etc.

Maybe William Bush got a good listen to Hotop's performance. I recall that Korg might not let guests try a prototype

#2829932 - 01/21/17 07:18 AM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: GregC]
DanL Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
Nice easy patch recall with the favorites.

Effect section looks a bit anemic, I'm guessing any modulation effects would be built into the sounds themselves.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2829934 - 01/21/17 07:23 AM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: DanL]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Offering the sound of Kronos at a stage piano price is going to have compromise for sure... the UI suggests that compromise will be limited editability - unless! they offer sound programming via app or software. Over WiFi would be top modern... browser based, even. but I don't think that's where they are going here.

#2829943 - 01/21/17 08:25 AM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: ElmerJFudd]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Somethings I recall from the presentation.

I believe it was said there are four inserts FXs available. So yes it would appear that they're built into the preset as there are no specific controls for modulation FXs, etc. Assume SW#1/2 would turn these on/off with other controllers for speed/depth.

Heard the CX3 distortion has been improved. Possibly other tweaks to the CX3.

It sounds like a Kronos of course. I thought the new Italian sounded less percussive than other Korg pianos but my listening was from afar, not through headphones so I can't be certain.

I think it's reasonable to assume the PROTOTYPE Vox Continental has the same engines as the PROTOTYPE Grandstage but with semi weighted keys and organ appropriate controls. So rather than the more generic approach of Nord, Korg will offer two models one more stage piano and the other more organ. I would say these are more like an Electro than a Stage. There is a clear distinction between these and the much more powerful Kronos. There shouldn't be any reason for the buyer to be confused. The action on the Grandstage is the RH3 while the Vox seems close to the Kronos LS.

Also, I wasn't put off by the looks. The grayscale wood grain section appears to be metal, with brushed aluminum used on the faceplate. The sides I believe are plastic but not the shiny plastic of the original Kronos. I thought the whole thing worked. The large Korg and Vox logos on the back light up.

There is an element who are resistant to digital keyboards and would rather play something like 200a all night. For them, the Nords are an acceptable replacement where a Kronos or Montage screams DIGITAL. Korg's thinking on both these new prototypes reflects that, IMO.

Busch.

Edited by burningbusch (01/21/17 08:30 AM)

#2829945 - 01/21/17 08:35 AM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: ElmerJFudd]
10k Club

I agree that, within the Korg lineup, it makes sense that the 73 would have to sell for less than the Kronos 73 and more than the SV1 73. Competitively, though, I'm not sure the best comparison is with the CP4 (or CP40, which may actually be closer in terms of action, probably the biggest differentiator between the 4 and the 40). I think its the knobby ergonomics that will create its immediate appeal, and there its competitor is really Nord, which gives them a little more upside latitude to price above Yamaha and still seem competitive, i.e. with both the Nord Piano 3 and the Electro 5HP selling for $3k (even despite less than ideal action). Plus it's easier for a company to come out high and reduce the price later than it is to do the reverse. Not that I'm hoping for a high price, and I imagine that, with no pricing announced, Korg themselves may still be trying to figure the best way to price it, but I would not be surprised to see it priced more like, say,$2400- $2500 for the 73 and a couple of hundred more for the 88. And they may keep the SV1 in the line too, at its lower price point. So then the Grandstage ends up falling just about exactly halfway between the SV1 and the Kronos, and you could make the argument that, functionally, that sounds about right too. (Though we still need to get a bit more detail about the exact functionality of the Grandstage.)

#2829950 - 01/21/17 08:43 AM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: burningbusch]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: burningbusch

I believe it was said there are four inserts FXs available. So yes it would appear that they're built into the preset as there are no specific controls for modulation FXs, etc. Assume SW#1/2 would turn these on/off with other controllers for speed/depth.

Though if the actual Kronos engines are inside, it's not inconceivable that parameters like this could be edited via an iPad app or computer-based editor. I also wonder about to what extent they have provided editing functions onboard, for things that have no other obvious control. I mean, if there's a CX3 engine in there, presumably there's an edit screen that allows you to adjust the 9 drawbar levels...?

Heard the CX3 distortion has been improved.

Improvements in the sound of the overdrive could also benefit the EPs. I'm not sure how much difference it actually made, but one of the few SV1 features that has disappeared is the tube. So if they have a good tube-sounding circuit/algorithm in there, there could be multiple benefits.

#2829951 - 01/21/17 08:43 AM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: burningbusch]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have played the Kronos 88 - many times in shop. So I do know the RH3. It's just ok - as mentioned I found it sluggish not like my acoustic (in sig) and not like an ES8 or CP4. I'd be more inclined to check these engines out on the synth action VOX if it ever comes to fruition.

If they do make the VOX how do you guys feel about them not making the keys waterfall and going with these touch pad drawbars rather than pulls?

#2829956 - 01/21/17 08:56 AM Re: Korg Grandstage [Re: AnotherScott]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet

Though if the actual Kronos engines are inside, it's not inconceivable that parameters like this could be edited via an iPad app or computer-based editor. I also wonder about to what extent they have provided editing functions onboard, for things that have no other obvious control. I mean, if there's a CX3 engine in there, presumably there's an edit screen that allows you to adjust the 9 drawbar levels...?

Heard the CX3 distortion has been improved.

Improvements in the sound of the overdrive could also benefit the EPs. I'm not sure how much difference it actually made, but one of the few SV1 features that has disappeared is the tube. So if they have a good tube-sounding circuit/algorithm in there, there could be multiple benefits.

You have to assume there will be an editor. Hopefully it might allow loading of Kronos programs because of the high degree of compatibility.

There is overdrive built into the CX3 engine. It went through a significant improvement with the Kronos updates allowing you to select between the harsher original and newer overdrive. All that was mention was the CX3. The overdrive found in the EP-1 generally comes from the preamp sims in that engine (unless you add a OD/distortion FX). I saw no mention of the NuTube technology in the GS and am wondering if the latest Vox prototype still has that label, I can't recall. That would be the interesting technology, IMO.

Busch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner