Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2829698 - 01/20/17 09:01 AM New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
Just announced at NAMM, the larger version of the Space Station V3.
Aspen Pittman Designs
  • 12" coaxial main driver
  • 700 watts
  • biamped
  • two pairs of stereo inputs
  • three outputs: L, R and L+R
  • All outputs 1/4" or XLR
  • 65 lbs
  • $1399 MAP
  • Offset recessed inputs, side facing
  • 50Hx to 20kHz response
  • plywood construction

KC Island
#2829705 - 01/20/17 09:17 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: timwat]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa
Interesting...is part of the target market the people who might buy the Bose L1?

Too big for me to be interested in. I would be interested in the smaller V3 if it had the two features I like most about my Motion Sound KP 200SN: two inputs (to avoid bringing mixer) and monitor input (MS calls it "click track input") to avoid bringing a vocal monitor.

#2829707 - 01/20/17 09:22 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: timwat]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN
This intrigues me. Has almost always been a challenge to hear my keys accurately on stage. I considered the SS V3, but was concerned about having enough volume reserve for louder stages. Looks like the SS XL might provide clarity of perception and ample volume for my rig.

#2829710 - 01/20/17 09:27 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Sam Mullins]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Sam Mullins
I would be interested in the smaller V3 if it had the two features I like most about my Motion Sound KP 200SN: two inputs (to avoid bringing mixer)

I suppose you could just velcro a very small mixer to the V3 itself.

#2829725 - 01/20/17 09:59 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: AnotherScott]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
65 pounds vs. 40 pounds and $1400 vs $1000 MSRP.... For $100 less you can purchase a v3 with an independent sub-woofer like the Behringer everyone seems to match up with it. The bargain seems to have disappeared. Assuming a 20% discount the net price is around $1120; hmmm....

#2829730 - 01/20/17 10:18 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Delaware Dave]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Delaware Dave
65 pounds vs. 40 pounds and $1400 vs $1000 MSRP.... For $100 less you can purchase a v3 with an independent sub-woofer like the Behringer everyone seems to match up with it.

You'd still be missing the mixer, and the higher output of the XL, and giving up the all-in-one aspect (more audio and power cables to run). But yeah, each config will have its fans, I'm sure.
Assuming a 20% discount the net price is around $1120; hmmm....

$1399 is MAP, not MSRP, which means it it what it will typically actually sell for.

Edited by AnotherScott (01/20/17 10:20 AM)

#2829731 - 01/20/17 10:26 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: AnotherScott]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Funny thing is....for those gigs where an amp is my room sound, this one would generally be too much for the room. And for any gig where an amp is NOT my room sound (i.e., where there is FOH)....this one would be too much amp.

Who am I kidding, I'm still going to buy it.

#2829732 - 01/20/17 10:30 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: AnotherScott]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
I would be interested in the smaller V3 if it had the two features I like most about my Motion Sound KP 200SN: two inputs (to avoid bringing mixer)

Sure...the thought has crossed my mind. But I would still miss the monitor input feature.

#2829740 - 01/20/17 10:55 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Sam Mullins]
hazerkeys Offline

Loc: canandaigua, ny
Looks interesting - I have been thinking of replacing my KBR-3D (getting way to heavy) and I have a VENt now for my CX-3, was thinkng of the MS-500, but this looks appealing !!

#2829748 - 01/20/17 11:21 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: hazerkeys]
Beethree Offline
Platinum Member

I've shied away from the SS, thinking it would be under powered. This has my attention.

#2829749 - 01/20/17 11:22 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Sam Mullins]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE

Sure...the thought has crossed my mind. But I would still miss the monitor input feature.

The SS3 didn't cut it as a vocal monitor for me, I like my vocal monitor to be directional. It forced me to bring a 2nd speaker for a vocal monitor, which negated the 1 speaker stereo solution. I'd love to hear how the XL sounds, because I really did like the v3 for keys only, it just didn't have enough bottom end for some of the things I do.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2829751 - 01/20/17 11:25 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: DanL]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: DanL

The SS3 didn't cut it as a vocal monitor for me, I like my vocal monitor to be directional. It forced me to bring a 2nd speaker for a vocal monitor, which negated the 1 speaker stereo solution. I'd love to hear how the XL sounds, because I really did like the v3 for keys only, it just didn't have enough bottom end for some of the things I do.

Thanks....wondered about hearing the vocals through something that is so spatially distributed. I'll stop wishing now smile

Edited by Sam Mullins (01/20/17 11:27 AM)

#2829753 - 01/20/17 11:31 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Sam Mullins]
Polkahero Offline
KCFF League Champ '15
Platinum Member

Loc: Michigan
Both of my EV ZXA1 speakers weigh less than 40 lbs. I'll keep my true stereo sound vs. this "artificial" stereo imaging. I don't need a subwoofer in either a band or solo setting. No thanks!
Kawai MP7
Alesis QSR

#2829755 - 01/20/17 11:36 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: DanL]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California

Why wouldn't it be directional when fed a mono signal like a vocal feed?

#2829759 - 01/20/17 11:53 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: MathOfInsects]
BigJPatton Offline

Loc: LI
I like it, and if it turns out to be too much amp all the better I say, I like a bit of headroom, sure I don't want to carry more than I need but it's worth it for the payoff.

Looking forward to more photos.

#2829761 - 01/20/17 12:02 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: BigJPatton]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I would like to give this a test run and see how it would work as my utility amp. ( Banjo, Mandolin, A Guitar, Keys etc...) My concern is the Fishman banjo pickups I use are susceptible to feedback. Currently I repurpose my ZXA1s for this.

#2829769 - 01/20/17 12:47 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: DanL]
sleepngbear Offline
Gold Member

Loc: RI

Just curious, and not to hijack, but why wouldn't you want the vocals to come out as 'spacially' as the keys? The last few times I gigged with my SS3, I intentionally added a tiny bit extra stereo reverb to the vocal channel just so the little feller could do its thing. Small venues, so the volume was very moderate, and the effect wasn't huge, but I was very happy with the results. Although I am playing solo, so maybe your particular application has different needs?

#2829787 - 01/20/17 02:02 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: sleepngbear]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Originally Posted By: sleepngbear

Just curious, and not to hijack, but why wouldn't you want the vocals to come out as 'spacially' as the keys? The last few times I gigged with my SS3, I intentionally added a tiny bit extra stereo reverb to the vocal channel just so the little feller could do its thing. Small venues, so the volume was very moderate, and the effect wasn't huge, but I was very happy with the results. Although I am playing solo, so maybe your particular application has different needs?

I think there are times when you want that spatial effect, and times where you want to aim the sound in a specific direction. Depending on the gig, it's one or the other, or sometimes both for me.

Example: small, irregular room, intimate setting, no FOH except for vocals. Keyboards through CPS v3 every time. A bit of the vocal mix (plus stage wash) through my CPS so's I can hear what's going on. Same setup for small outdoor venues.

Example: band at one end of a larger shoebox. Decent stage room. Keyboards through pair of QSC K8s behind me, please. Again, a bit of the FOH mix so I can hear what's going on. Same for larger outdoor venues.

Example: larger stage, full band mix through FOH, stupidly loud guitar player who says he can't hear himself. One or two K10s on the floor, aimed at my ears, with some of the band mixed in. CPSv3 might do the job, but not what it was designed for.

Specifically, vocalists usually want a highly directional sound when they are using stage monitors at any sort of volume.

So, I see this in two applications for me.

One, gigs where it's an irregular room, I'm responsible for my own keys amplification, and the levels demand something with -- ahem -- more authority.

Second, want to try it out as an all-in-one PA for a band, see what happens. Positioning it will be interesting.

Keys: Nord Stage 2, Piano 2, Electro 4D
Practice: Yam N3, Bosie 200 Klimt Model
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Spider Pro, MG06, etc.

#2829797 - 01/20/17 03:10 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: cphollis]
hardware Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Nashville, TN.
Curious about the rubber stand offs on the right side.
Set that sucker on the top of a Walnut Leslie cab...

#2829799 - 01/20/17 03:16 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: hardware]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
700W?

#2829800 - 01/20/17 03:31 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: MotiDave]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: hardware

The ad copy on Aspen's website says you can use it either vertically or horizontally, I'm presuming that's why the feet on the side...at 65lbs, I think I'd have preferred wheels, at least as an option.

Originally Posted By: MotiDave
700W?

That's what Aspen's website says. It doesn't seem to detail how that "over 700w" is allocated per front, side and midrange (as it IS detailed for the SS v3), but given that the SS v3 is quoted as "100W RMS (Front/Side), 40W RMS (Midrange)", it seems like a healthy step up.

But of course that's only one side of the equation of apparent loudness - overall speaker efficiency is the other.

#2829809 - 01/20/17 04:02 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: timwat]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
Originally Posted By: timwat
Originally Posted By: hardware

The ad copy on Aspen's website says you can use it either vertically or horizontally, I'm presuming that's why the feet on the side...at 65lbs, I think I'd have preferred wheels, at least as an option.

700W?

That's what Aspen's website says. It doesn't seem to detail how that "over 700w" is allocated per front, side and midrange (as it IS detailed for the SS v3), but given that the SS v3 is quoted as "100W RMS (Front/Side), 40W RMS (Midrange)", it seems like a healthy step up.

But of course that's only one side of the equation of apparent loudness - overall speaker efficiency is the other.
From a loudness perspective the V3 106 Db spl, the XL is 116 Db spl. Reference points: EV ZXA1 126 Db spl; EV ZLX12p 126 Db spl; K10 129 Db spl; ELX112p 132 Db spl.

#2829810 - 01/20/17 04:03 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: MotiDave]
Polkahero Offline
KCFF League Champ '15
Platinum Member

700W?

Means nothing in this day of Class D power amps. The maximum SPL would be more interesting to note. FWIW, each of my EV ZXA1 speakers is rated at 800 watts.

Edited by Polkahero (01/20/17 04:03 PM)
Kawai MP7
Alesis QSR

#2829823 - 01/20/17 05:33 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Delaware Dave]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

From a loudness perspective the V3 106 Db spl, the XL is 116 Db spl. Reference points: EV ZXA1 123 Db spl; EV ZLX12p 126 Db spl; K10 129 Db spl; ELX112p 132 Db spl.

Also, though, if you're comparing a SpaceStation to a traditional stereo set up, you'd be comparing it to a pair of any of those other speakers, which means you'd add 3 dB to any of those other speaker figures.

#2829827 - 01/20/17 06:00 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: AnotherScott]
Polkahero Offline
KCFF League Champ '15
Platinum Member

From a loudness perspective the V3 106 Db spl, the XL is 116 Db spl. Reference points: EV ZXA1 123 Db spl; EV ZLX12p 126 Db spl; K10 129 Db spl; ELX112p 132 Db spl.

Also, though, if you're comparing a SpaceStation to a traditional stereo set up, you'd be comparing it to a pair of any of those other speakers, which means you'd add 3 dB to any of those other speaker figures.

Correct, and I might add the actual SPL for the EV ZXA1 is 126 dB! wink

EV Specs
Kawai MP7
Alesis QSR

#2829830 - 01/20/17 06:13 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: timwat]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: The Rig
Originally Posted By: timwat
... Space Station V3 xl.

When I see this pic I wonder why SSv3-xl, being larger and heavier, comes w/ the same strap-handle like the small SSv3 does.
I`d expect a pair of sprung-handles we find on pro flightcases or a pair of bar-handles we know from Marshall or other brandīs speaker cabs since decades.
Would make transport easier for sure.

When I see the rubber feet and the small rectangle grille between those on the bottom right, I guess thatīs the protective grille for one of the 6.5" side speakers.
Now, when operating the cab in a horizontal position while standing on itīs rubber feet,- is the heigth of the rubber feet and consequently the resulting distance to a surface big enough allowing developement of the "bloom" the overall design is famous for meanwhile ?

A.C.

#2829842 - 01/20/17 07:09 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Polkahero]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Polkahero

... each of my EV ZXA1 speakers is rated at 800 watts.

Yes, PEAK,- or program, or continuous or whatever BS !
Itīs 500W RMS at best.
EV zxa 1

In most cases, even the RMS power is more cosmetics than truth since speaker cabs, active or passive, were designed.
I really give a s##t on those specs.
Watts is just only energy, the stuff voice coils can take as fuel.
The acoustic result is a completely different story.
And donīt forget todayīs active speakers are almost all DSP controlled.
You get a class D amp pumping xxxx watts into some circuitry and the DSP, among other things, limits that input to a degree your 20 or 40W (program power) mid/hi driver (and possibly relatively cheap and weak woofer too) can handle halfway safe.
I say that because not every active speaker is really bi-amped.
If it is bi-amped, itīs somewhat the same.

Thereīs a class-D stereo amp module coming from a 3rd party manufacturer, both amps the same wattage into (most often) 4 ohms.
Now it begins,- the woofer is 8 ohms and the Mid/Hi horn is 16 ohms.
The reality is, the woofer gets half the power of 1 of the class-d amps and the Mid/Hi horn a quarter of the other.
The DSP is in between in addition, preforming "corrections".
In fact, w/ hi power rated amps, you get only the required headroom for your input signal, it not overdriving the amp.
But then, when pumping (advertised) 1000W into a 2" voice coil 12" speaker rated at 200W RMS, it might destroy the voicecoil and the speaker mechanics quickly.

According to power ratings, may it be music power, continuous power, program-, RMS or AES power rating,- there are so many measurement methods out there you better ignore most.

The only way is testing the unit yourself w/ the gear you use.
Talking about watts is like talking about my heating to me.

And, when we had no DSPs and software control/protection optimizing behaviour of speakers in a cab,- the quality and reliability of pro loudspeakers had to be much better.
I remember 4 inch voice coils, aluminium die-cast construction and large magnets.
Those were hard to destroy and without using any protections.
They had a weight though ...

A.C.

#2829849 - 01/20/17 07:25 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Al Coda]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Al Coda
Originally Posted By: Polkahero

... each of my EV ZXA1 speakers is rated at 800 watts.

Yes, PEAK,- or program, or continuous or whatever BS !
Itīs 500W RMS at best.
EV zxa 1

And IIRC, even the "800 watt" spec is based on a 400 watt-per-channel stereo amp integrated into a biamped system, meaning 400 watts (peak, whatever) into the woofer and another 400 watt amp driving the tweeter, though in reality, the tweeter never needs to see more than 50 to 100 watts of that. I know that's how the QSC specs work, I think the EV is the same.

But as you kind of say, wattage figures are useless in an integrated system. They are useful when you are buying an amp independent of the speakers, but when you can't use the amp separately from the speaker, it's a pointless figure, and says basically nothing about the volume level of the system. If nothing else, the same "400 watts" would behave very differently driving a speaker with an 85 dB efficiency vs a 95 dB efficiency. Although still imperfect, on an integrated system, the SPL spec is really what you need to look at, forget watts.

#2829862 - 01/20/17 08:53 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: AnotherScott]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

I use mfg specs as a guide, not as a bible.

I can't fully recall all the amplification gear that I've owned, or played with. It's a freaking long list. I've had gear with amazing specs that didn't deliver, and gear with more humble specs that brought serious game. Your mileage may vary.

Nothing matters until you get into the fog of war, and only then you figure out who's on your team, and who's not.

Just sayin'

#2829877 - 01/20/17 10:58 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: cphollis]
mate stubb Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: cphollis
I've had gear with amazing specs that didn't deliver, and gear with more humble specs that brought serious game. Your mileage may vary.

True dat. For years I played thru a pair of small Peavey 3 way cabinets with a 150W amp built into each. They sounded really great, with a 12" woofer, a 6" cone midrange and a tweeter.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2829916 - 01/21/17 05:23 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: mate stubb]
JohnDoe Offline

Loc: Sweden
True dat. For years I played thru a pair of small Peavey 3 way cabinets with a 150W amp built into each. They sounded really great, with a 12" woofer, a 6" cone midrange and a tweeter. [/quote]

Do you recall the name of those Peavey speakers?

#2829935 - 01/21/17 07:23 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: sleepngbear]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE

It didn't work for me. Best placement of the SS3 is on the floor at a distance away right? The vocals didn't cut that way.

Solo act or duo type setting it would work but not in the 5+ piece band situations that I was using it in.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2829953 - 01/21/17 08:48 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: DanL]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

It didn't work for me. Best placement of the SS3 is on the floor at a distance away right? The vocals didn't cut that way.

Solo act or duo type setting it would work but not in the 5+ piece band situations that I was using it in.

Makes sense, especially if you're looking for the audience to hear the spacious effect of the Spacestation, yet your need to hear vocals is only as a stage monitor. In that case, the audience would probably need a different balance of keys and vocal than what you would need for yourself, especially if you're singing more backup than lead.

#2829963 - 01/21/17 09:35 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: JohnDoe]
mate stubb Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: JohnDoe

Prosys 112. The small ones (they later made them larger and more clunky.)

I am a big fan of cone midrange.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2830087 - 01/21/17 09:04 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: mate stubb]
TimA Offline

Loc: Nuevo Mejico
I kinda see the ssv3 as an Apache helicopter and the XL more like an A10 Thunderbolt.... just sayin'

#2830103 - 01/22/17 04:01 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: TimA]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
XL is getting into the range where I would actually consider switching from mono to stereo. The question still remains if it would make for a suitable stage monitor for the mono sources like my vocal. Basically, I'm ok with my instrument being spread around as folks can put less in their own monitor, but I want the rest of my mix (vocals, etc) to be heard by just me so we have control of our onstage monitor mix. It's a tough call.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2830104 - 01/22/17 04:07 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: J. Dan]
FunkKeyStuff Offline
Platinum Member

I can't believe no one has addressed this yet, but can it handle left-hand organ bass without a sub woofer?

#2830142 - 01/22/17 09:35 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: FunkKeyStuff]
cedar Offline
Gold Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: FunkKeyStuff
I can't believe no one has addressed this yet, but can it handle left-hand organ bass without a sub woofer?

It would be great to get a side by side comparison of this new amp compared to the SSv3 plus Behringer {with and without small mixer].

#2830156 - 01/22/17 10:26 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: FunkKeyStuff]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Given that it appears that Aspen is in early pre-production, I would guess it would be several months before anyone can authoritatively answer that question.

On paper, though, it looks like a "yes" -- 12" speaker, plenty of watts. Unless you're an 18" kind of guy smile

#2830158 - 01/22/17 10:30 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: cphollis]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Well, the Leslie 122 had a 15" woofer...

#2830223 - 01/22/17 03:20 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Sam Mullins]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

I think you could do what you want with the Alesis Multimix 8. Probably a little bigger than you'd like to velcro to a SS (though it would fit).

#2830278 - 01/22/17 06:52 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: AnotherScott]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

True, but not a DSP.

#2830472 - 01/23/17 02:58 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: AnotherScott]
elseif Offline

though the hole in the baffle is 12.5" diameter. roll

#2830594 - 01/23/17 11:29 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: elseif]
dsetto Offline

XL seems great. Thanks for making it, Aspen.

#2830596 - 01/23/17 11:39 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Al Coda]
Aspen Offline

Loc: So Cal
Originally Posted By: Al Coda

The only way is testing the unit yourself w/ the gear you use.
Talking about watts is like talking about my heating to me.
A.C.

I am in violent agreement with AC's conclusion here. There is no better measurement tool than your ears, and no better place to take those measurements than on your stage...using your gear.

Let's be honest, manufactures have tried for decades to 'out spec' each other in the interest of selling more gear. Consider the source, and take all these specs with a grain of salt.

Watts, Peak Watts, RMS Watts...and then factor that with speaker efficiency measured @ 1 watt, on axis one meter (some use 1/2 meter) and looking at peak, not averaged.

Comparing SPL is probably the best way...but not everybody uses the same test methods! Some use pink noise for a source, others use a 1Kc sine wave, and some even use Steely Dan. Some measure at 1/2 meter, other a meter..and some at 1 foot! Most all are measured where a speaker is loudest...directly in front (or 'on axis'). But mine sounds best and is nearly as loud everywhere...way off axis! All these methods can produce very different readings from the same speaker.

And while I prefer to talk about SPL (rather than watts) when comparing self powered speakers, how can you compare "loudness" with a speaker like mine who's energy is VERY diffused, spread around 300 degrees, with a conventional speaker measured 'on axis' (directly in front) with it's energy all focused within 15 to 45 degrees? Answer; you can't...not honestly anyway.

FYi: when I take SPL measurement I do it on axis @ 1 meter using pink noise...and I look for 'average', not peak SPL levels. And while I believe most companies may use a similar approach...I am sure many do not...looking for the highest 'numbers' possible.

This 'Kinda Standard' SPL measurement approach yields a lower SPL number for my box...as you might expect it would. But since I doubt I could convince the other companies to measure their frequency response and/or SPL at 90 degrees off axis...I chose to do it their way and probably got a lower SPL number as a result.

But I think I achieved the goal with the SXL; it goes 50 cycles lower before it starts to roll off and it's 10dB hotter...which is noticeably lower, and louder than it's little brother. This was the request heard loud and clear here on this forum, that and that you wanted 2 channels plus balanced in/out. It still may not be for everybody, but then neither was the SS3!

So as AC says; listening with your setup, is probably still the best way to compare. Your ears do not lie...

If anyone is in the SoCal area and would like to stop by to compare it with the SS3 and/or any other amps, I am open to that.

Edited by Aspen (01/24/17 12:56 AM)

#2830598 - 01/23/17 11:58 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: cphollis]
Aspen Offline

Loc: So Cal

Given that it appears that Aspen is in early pre-production, I would guess it would be several months before anyone can authoritatively answer that question.
)

Yes Chuck, this is the first run and it's a small number. The 2nd 'pipe line' run is due in April. So chances are that will be the first reviews.

My 1st runs are made mostly to beta test with my 'homies' (many saw and played the SXL at NAMM), to send samples to my Dealer Partners for their comments, and also have a few dedicated to get the UC/CE/PSE certification going, very expensive and can take months!

But so far, everyone who played it at NAMM seemed happy with it in direct comparisons to the SS3. It acted just as you might think a bigger brother would; bigger and louder.

And I have already received several great suggestions that will be visited on the next run including to radius the corners (like your SS3 amps...actually that was in the drawings...they just goofed), and also to better center balance the handle for weight distribution...all good stuff.

Regarding the request for adding wheels, I am not a big fan of that on a cab this size for several reasons:
1) the physical size of the" bottom (16x17") doesn't lend itself to stability when rolling (may tip over),
2) the added expense; I calculate x5 for BOM to MAP, so that would raise the price more than the cost of buying a decent Gear dolly like a RocknRoller mini cart,
3) I don't like adding something 100% of my users will pay for in the price, but less than half might use...so also anyone can add casters later
3) They can rattle...and I don't like rattles!

Edited by Aspen (01/24/17 12:14 AM)

#2830643 - 01/24/17 07:26 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Aspen]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Aspen
Comparing SPL is probably the best way...but not everybody uses the same test methods! Some use pink noise for a source, others use a 1Kc sine wave, and some even use Steely Dan. Some measure at 1/2 meter, other a meter..and some at 1 foot!

You're right that methods vary. One you didn't mention is that sometimes they don't use anything at all for a source! Rather it is (as I understand it) mathematically calculated, i.e. what you can theoretically get based on the engineering (x watts into a speaker of y efficiency). Mfrs do often specify the distance, though, and often whether they are referring to continuous or peak (and I'd assume peak unless they say otherwise). The EV ZXa1 is spec'd at 126 dB "Max. SPL/1m (calc)" - I assume max means peak, probably for something like a 1 kHz tone.

Most all are measured where a speaker is loudest...directly in front (or 'on axis'). But mine sounds best and is nearly as loud everywhere...way off axis!
And while I prefer to talk about SPL (rather than watts) when comparing self powered speakers, how can you compare "loudness" with a speaker like mine who's energy is VERY diffused, spread around 300 degrees, with a conventional speaker measured 'on axis' (directly in front) with it's energy all focused within 15 to 45 degrees? Answer; you can't...not honestly anyway.

True, it's hard to compare such different technologies with the same measure.

FYi: when I take SPL measurement I do it on axis @ 1 meter using pink noise...and I look for 'average', not peak SPL levels.

Since so many others use peak, maybe you should measure (or calculate) a peak figure as well, and provide both figures, to help you (honestly) look better competitively. And further point out with an asterisk that, even then, you're measuring straight ahead, and that other speakers can drop off much more substantially off axis than your design does.

#2830644 - 01/24/17 07:35 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Aspen]
BigJPatton Offline

It's funny how this was announced just after I was complaining about the issue I have with powered speakers in another thread, with no solution on the market, good timing!

This is great for certain keyboard players, it's a tad niche, I'm not sure those that enjoy good stage monitoring at their gigs will be interested, but for those that don't and have to get some sound to everyone in the band this is a much better solution than a powered speaker, I think, we shall see.

#2830645 - 01/24/17 07:39 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Aspen]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

[And I have already received several great suggestions that will be visited on the next run including to radius the corners (like your SS3 amps...actually that was in the drawings...they just goofed), and also to better center balance the handle for weight distribution...all good stuff.

The "strap" handles are tough with increased weight no matter how they're balanced. You really want something where the weight isn't so pulling down on the outer edges of your hand. Maybe a flip-up padded handle (though I know, things that are designed to move can sometimes rattle), or a recessed opening with a round metal bar (might be kind of costly)...?

Regarding the request for adding wheels, I am not a big fan of that on a cab this size for several reasons:
1) the physical size of the" bottom (16x17") doesn't lend itself to stability when rolling (may tip over),
2) the added expense; I calculate x5 for BOM to MAP, so that would raise the price more than the cost of buying a decent Gear dolly like a RocknRoller mini cart,
3) I don't like adding something 100% of my users will pay for in the price, but less than half might use...so also anyone can add casters later
3) They can rattle...and I don't like rattles!

1) maybe the "bottom" could be the side...?
2-3-4) to minimize expense and rattle possibility, maybe you could just have the openings for pop-in casters, and people can optionally buy the casters to pop in and out if they want them?

#2830655 - 01/24/17 07:54 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: AnotherScott]
BigJPatton Offline

The only thing that might stay my hand is the size, it's a big footprint at 29"x17x16, I think a 10" speaker model at 24"x14x14 would be the perfect size, and a 10" offers plenty of bass for most players.

#2830661 - 01/24/17 08:15 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: MathOfInsects]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects
Funny thing is....for those gigs where an amp is my room sound, this one would generally be too much for the room. And for any gig where an amp is NOT my room sound (i.e., where there is FOH)....this one would be too much amp.

Who am I kidding, I'm still going to buy it.

What is this "Too much amp" you speak of? cool

#2830665 - 01/24/17 08:24 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: BigJPatton]
16251 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: BigJPatton
The only thing that might stay my hand is the size, it's a big footprint at 29"x17x16, I think a 10" speaker model at 24"x14x14 would be the perfect size, and a 10" offers plenty of bass for most players.
facepalm (couldn't resist)

#2830668 - 01/24/17 08:40 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: mate stubb]
AWkeys Offline

Originally Posted By: mate stubb

I always seem to distort my K10s and my new ZLX112's with the midrange frequencies of Wurli and organ sounds at high SPLs. It got me thinking that maybe the route is to get a 3-way speaker and a good power amp instead. A lot of bassists I know show up to gigs with these featherweight class-D 1xxx-watt power amps and pretty lightweight, high power 3-way speakers. I know some of you have gone this route. Are you happy with it? Is this still a viable alternative?

I know, I could drop more money on a higher-end monitor too...

I had a Spacestation, but I'm so used to going mono and sending a stereo feed to FOH that I sold my v3. Nevertheless, Aspen makes a beautiful product, and I hope I get a chance to hear the new one!

EDITED: I didn't mean to hijack this post. Will start a new post.

Edited by AWkeys (01/24/17 08:43 AM)

#2830673 - 01/24/17 09:16 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: AWkeys]
Polkahero Offline
KCFF League Champ '15
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: AWkeys
Originally Posted By: mate stubb

I always seem to distort my K10s and my new ZLX112's with the midrange frequencies of Wurli and organ sounds at high SPLs. It got me thinking that maybe the route is to get a 3-way speaker and a good power amp instead. A lot of bassists I know show up to gigs with these featherweight class-D 1xxx-watt power amps and pretty lightweight, high power 3-way speakers. I know some of you have gone this route. Are you happy with it? Is this still a viable alternative?

I know, I could drop more money on a higher-end monitor too...

I had a Spacestation, but I'm so used to going mono and sending a stereo feed to FOH that I sold my v3. Nevertheless, Aspen makes a beautiful product, and I hope I get a chance to hear the new one!

EDITED: I didn't mean to hijack this post. Will start a new post.

Not sure if this is any help, but as a professional bassist I use a 3.5 lb. Aguilar amp head which is great, but to skimp on the cabinet size without adequate PA support is asking for trouble. I run either a Bergantino 6x10 or Berg 2x12 cabinet which are both fairly large cabinets. Law of physics apply here, you need a large cabinet to accurately reproduce lower frequencies at sufficient volume levels.
Kawai MP7
Alesis QSR

#2830678 - 01/24/17 09:39 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: 16251]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria, BC Canada
Originally Posted By: 16251
Originally Posted By: BigJPatton
facepalm (couldn't resist)

+1 on the facepalm

Why is it, that... oh, never mind.

#2830696 - 01/24/17 10:27 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: AWkeys]
Reezekeys Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: NYC area
Originally Posted By: AWkeys
I always seem to distort my K10s and my new ZLX112's with the midrange frequencies of Wurli and organ sounds at high SPLs.

Ks have DSP to automatically roll off lows when the speakers are driven to distortion so if you're clipping a K speaker (and the distortion is truly from the K's speaker or amp) then I would not want to be on your stage without some serious earplugs. I remember one gig with my 2 K8s where I drove them into limiting (the front LED can be set to indicate when that happens). My ears were ringing 2x their usual for days after that. One of the loudest gigs I've ever done.

#2830784 - 01/24/17 04:52 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Aspen]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

... radius the corners,

Great !
Iīd like to see protective nice "radius" flightcase corners too which are available for the end-user and for cents @Thomann.

... and also to better center balance the handle for weight distribution.

No offense, but I really HATE strap handles since I had several keyboard cases, ampheads and cabs (old Fender 210 p.ex.) using single strap handles in the past.
The cases bang against knee, wade or shin during transport and all of these handles teared off relatively quick.

IMO your larger model needs at least 2 handles.
When the cab is upright and the rubberfeet show to the right, it needs the handles on top (like the strap handle) and on the bottom,- but rotated by 90°.
So, when the box stands on itīs rubberfeet on a surface, you can grab it w/ both hands, lift and carry it the woofer facing away from you or to your belly.
But I think recessed folding sprung handle for about EUR 3,- a piece enduser price is the much better solution.

I understand you x5 calculation but weīre talking about parts for about EUR 12,50 at max here,- enduserprice @Thoman.

8 corners = EUR 6,-
2 sprung handles = EUR 6,44
Total EUR 12,44 incl. VAT

In large quantities, that should be significantly less !
I guess itīs all realizable for about 50 bucks more.

... adding wheels

Iīm with you here, adding wheels directly to the cab is nonsense.
There are so many options like wheel boards out there.
I have a few anyway.

A.C.

#2830808 - 01/24/17 08:09 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Al Coda]
elseif Offline

65 lb? Nah. Neo drivers, switching power supply and 12 mm Okoume, maybe.

#2830976 - 01/25/17 01:02 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: elseif]
TimA Offline

You want a 0.47244094488 Inch spittoon on the XL? Where would you mount it?

#2831717 - 01/28/17 10:54 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: elseif]
trebleclef Offline

Originally Posted By: elseif
65 lb? Nah. Neo drivers, switching power supply and 12 mm Okoume, maybe.

Aspen, I would pay more for Neodynium magnets and lighter weight, given equal performance. Many of us are trying minimize our weight and footprint but achieve equivalent sound.

#2848262 - 04/10/17 05:21 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: mate stubb]
Six-string-man Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: U.K.
I know that Aspen f***** up on here, and I truly believe that Dave was 100% right to ban him, but at times like this, it would really be handy to have him around to answer questions!

iI guess what I need is for someone on here to A/B this against the original SS v3, not the new "improved" lightweight one, and give us all the lowdown on the XL.

Is it as good as the v3 + subwoofer? Is it reasonably move-able with no side handles? 65 lbs is a fair bit to dangle from a single strap. In short, is it a better buy than the SS v3 and sub. Not so much financially, but practically, and soundwise.

SSM

#2848267 - 04/10/17 05:41 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Six-string-man]
Six-string-man Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: U.K.
Apologies. Dashed this off before I realised that there was a Page 2 to this thread!

Also, just checked, and this is WAY overpriced in Europe, more than $250 surcharge compared to the USA. I have just officially lost interest.

SSM

#2850455 - 04/19/17 01:22 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Six-string-man]
Tibbit Offline

Loc: DFW
I've put in a pre-order at Sweetwater for an XL and asked Aspen when to expect delivery. He said late June, or if production is delayed for some reason - which could happen, as I know for my product manager experience, it may be a month or so later. I'll A/B compare it with a pair of QSC K10's at a gig or two and post the subjective results. I won't be using it with my Hammond, I have a Leslie for that, but will be sending it stereo feeds from my Nord Stage2 and a wonderful old Motif Rack ES that I use as an electronic wind instrument sound engine.

Dallas

#2850548 - 04/20/17 02:50 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Tibbit]
TimA Offline

Wow, that's cool! Can't wait to hear what you think!

#2850840 - 04/21/17 11:40 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: TimA]
Jazzooo Offline

Loc: San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
I liked this a lot at NAMM--I played through it and it sounded like the Spacestation only bigger. I know that sounds glib but it's also accurate.

#2852523 - 04/28/17 10:36 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Jazzooo]
Alan Steinberger Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I tried an SXL at Aspen's shop for a few minutes today. Definitely loud, definitely punchy, and definitely not the right tool for my purposes if I don't want the entire violin section of the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra throwing things at me. But I think this is going to work really well for keyboardists competing with Guitar God or Drummer of Death. Yes, it's a chunk to schlep, but not nearly so awkward as that old Motion Sound behemoth with the spinning horn.

Aspen has heard the complaints about the strap handle (I was one of those complaining when I saw a prototype at NAMM) and has some good alternatives planned.

And since I had an easy opportunity to unload my original SSv3, I replaced it with a Spacestation Lite (knowing that I'm not the target audience for an SXL). As with the unit I tested a week or so ago, the sound of this one is either identical to or slightly brighter and clearer than my original.

#2852818 - 04/30/17 05:28 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Alan Steinberger]
hardware Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Nashville, TN.
No test needed from me.
Are we still talking July for availability?
Anxious for more balls outdoors...

#2855896 - 05/17/17 05:26 PM Spacestation XL
doctorpong Online   content

I contacted Centerpoint about an ordered Spacestation XL. It looks like it is 8+ weeks out before first deliveries at this time.

#2855919 - 05/17/17 09:12 PM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: doctorpong]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
So July it is. Seems like everything is going according to schedule. thu

#2856080 - 05/19/17 01:21 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: davedoerfler]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

I go back and forth on the XL.

Yes, I get the fact that it's a SSv3 only bigger and louder. That's appealing.

The things I don't like? No DSP to tame the sound. It's 2017 folks, a DSP is almost mandatory for products in this price class. Looking at Aspen's response curves, it's a no-brainer. Sure, I could do it external, but why?

Size and weight. A pair of awesome self-powered PAs bring game. The original SSv3 ducked under this approach in price, size and weight, but this larger unit??

Bottom line: if you love the surround sound effects (which I do), it's a strong contender. Heresy, I know, but a decent replacement for a Leslie. Plus chorus effects on DP, etc. Love the stereo sounds.

But if it's about getting loud, I'm still in the self-powered PA camp.

#2856098 - 05/19/17 06:23 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: cphollis]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

The things I don't like? No DSP to tame the sound. It's 2017 folks, a DSP is almost mandatory for products in this price class. Looking at Aspen's response curves, it's a no-brainer. Sure, I could do it external, but why?

I suspect that one issue might be that Aspen is practically a one man shop, and he probably has no expertise in designing a DSP. (Which may also relate to the potential expense of it.) On a side issue, it's interesting that so many powered speakers use DSP, yet manage to still sound so different from each other, which implies to me that designing a DSP to improve a speaker's sound is more complicated than it might appear.

#2856100 - 05/19/17 06:27 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: cphollis]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Size and weight. A pair of awesome self-powered PAs bring game. The original SSv3 ducked under this approach in price, size and weight, but this larger unit??

Bottom line: if you love the surround sound effects (which I do), it's a strong contender. Heresy, I know, but a decent replacement for a Leslie. Plus chorus effects on DP, etc. Love the stereo sounds.

But if it's about getting loud, I'm still in the self-powered PA camp.

For me, the trick of adding another small full range cab (K8) really helped with this - not only is the overall system louder with even more low end, but I can break it into two small pieces to carry.

I tried the same thing with a sub, but liked the full range option better.

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation • SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers • Cloud Microphones • Crumar/GSi • elysia GmbH • Electronic Musician Magazine • TK Audio

#2856105 - 05/19/17 06:42 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: Dave Bryce]
dsetto Offline

While a non-issue for most, I don't want the tiny amount (~ 6/10th ms) of latency that AD/DA add in a DSP device.

I wouldn't have a SpaceStation v3 if it had DSP.

#2856107 - 05/19/17 06:48 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: Dave Bryce]
dsetto Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
... For me, the trick of adding another small full range cab (K8) really helped with this - not only is the overall system louder with even more low end, but I can break it into two small pieces to carry.

dB
Is this trick where you add a single PA speaker to the SSv3 (full-range) output?

#2856108 - 05/19/17 06:50 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: Dave Bryce]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

For me, the trick of adding another small full range cab (K8) really helped with this - not only is the overall system louder with even more low end, but I can break it into two small pieces to carry.

Did you ever try flipping it so that the SS is on top of the QSC? There was that comment in the other thread that someone found it sounded notably better that way, though you'd have to rig up some contraption to keep it stable if you wanted to really use it that way.

#2856118 - 05/19/17 08:42 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: AnotherScott]
BigJPatton Offline

The problem with using powered speakers for keyboard stage amps is the sound field, they're designed to throw and the best place to listen is way away from the speaker, so some people on stage will either get a poor sound and/or mixed volume levels.

Not a big deal for stages with good PA's and monitors, but the more common deal for us scrubs is you get what you give.

So the XL is a decent option on paper, it should cover a stage very nicely, but I'm balking at the size and weight, call me Goldilocks, I want one in the middle of the two SS options.

#2856224 - 05/19/17 06:35 PM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: BigJPatton]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

I've tried the "SSv3 main speaker pointing down, full range on top" a few times: QSC K8/K10/K12, RCF TTO8-a, and Fulcrum Acoustic FA 12ac.

Plenty of data points.

Yes, it always sounded better, no doubt. Particularly outrageous with the top of my line, the FA 12ac.

But now I'm lugging two thingies instead of one thingie. And my whole goal with the SSv3 was to get by with one thingie. For low-pay bar gigs and rehearsals, not worth the effort for me.

For larger gigs, I'll bring the pair of self-powered PAs. I think the approach works well for quieter gigs where you want the surround effect and the venue doesn't lend itself to a pair of self-powered PAs.

Not what I'm doing these days, but I get it.

#2856251 - 05/19/17 08:20 PM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: dsetto]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: dsetto
... For me, the trick of adding another small full range cab (K8) really helped with this - not only is the overall system louder with even more low end, but I can break it into two small pieces to carry.

Is this trick where you add a single PA speaker to the SSv3 (full-range) output?

Yes.

Did you ever try flipping it so that the SS is on top of the QSC?

No.

Remember, the midrange of the v5 is something I want to minimize. I have both EQ controls on the SS turned all the way down, so that one stays on the bottom.

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation • SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers • Cloud Microphones • Crumar/GSi • elysia GmbH • Electronic Musician Magazine • TK Audio

#2856280 - 05/20/17 01:37 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: Dave Bryce]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Last couple of gigs I've had, I've sort of been alternating between the SSv3 alone (sideways in an amp stand, front speaker pointed at me, side speaker firing at floor) and with the DXR8 (Yammie on top of the SS, front baffles aligned).

The former I've been doing for "tight quarters" stages. But I just got back from tonight's gig using both the DXR8 and the SS.

From now on, I'm going to have to stomach the "two pieces" schlep and use both. Much as I love the one box compromise, I just get so much better from the two combined I'm no longer willing to live with the SS alone.

Personally, i prefer the "all hands forward" config much better than the "face on the floor" version, similar to db's preference.

I gotta tell ya, with both speakers and the new Radial Key Largo, I'm a happy camper.

Have no idea if this influences anyone either way w regard to purchase decisions, but it's my report from the field.

#2856297 - 05/20/17 06:10 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: timwat]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

I've noticed a number of people have talked about choosing to use the SS or not depending on the stage setup and/or the room. I guess that's useful if you play the same places all the time. Personally, doing a lot of weddings and such, I rarely know those details until I arrive at the gig. And I'm not sure I'd want to take two amp rigs with me so I could choose which to use when I got there.

OTOH, I posted a while back that I've thought about actually driving two keyboard rigs to the gigs... a super lightweight rig (say, a Numa Compact and a Yamaha MX49), which I'd use if it's a rough load-in/setup, and a heavier/bigger rig that I prefer to play when it's not a pain to set up! I haven't done it, but it's tempting. Well, it's tempting until the morning of the gig. ;-)

#2856475 - 05/21/17 07:19 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: AnotherScott]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Now clearly in the dual rig camp, depending on band and venue.

Small rig: NP2, NE4D, SSv3, small mixer, SpiderPro stand, amp stand, throne, bag 'o cables. One trip on the cart

Larger rig: add NS2, DeepMind-12, larger mixer, another stand, a pair of self-powered PAs, and a bigger bag 'o cables. Bringing along the SSv3 for more stereo fill wouldn't be a big deal.

I'll reserve judgment on the XL until later this year, but as others have said here many times, the way you make a SSv3 bigger and better is to add something to it: self-powered PA cab, bass cab, etc.

Using dB's approach? A SSv3 plus DXR8 at full retail sets you back $1350. A SSv3 XL lists for $1399. And we won't even get into all the advantages a separate DXR8 brings to the table.

Tough call.

#2856477 - 05/21/17 07:25 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: cphollis]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Small rig: NP2, NE4D
Larger rig: add NS2, DeepMind-12

Surprising that you have a 4-board rig, where three of them are Nords with so much sonic overlap!

#2856479 - 05/21/17 07:30 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: AnotherScott]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Small rig: NP2, NE4D
Larger rig: add NS2, DeepMind-12

Surprising that you have a 4-board rig, where three of them are Nords with so much sonic overlap!

You're quite right. The only advantage is that I dislike doing program changes in the middle of songs, keyboard splits and all that. Without pressing buttons mid-flight, I've got all sorts of color for every song.

The collection wasn't by design, it just sort of evolved that way. If something had to go, it'd be the NS2.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner