Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2829698 - 01/20/17 09:01 AM New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
Just announced at NAMM, the larger version of the Space Station V3.
Aspen Pittman Designs
  • 12" coaxial main driver
  • 700 watts
  • biamped
  • two pairs of stereo inputs
  • three outputs: L, R and L+R
  • All outputs 1/4" or XLR
  • 65 lbs
  • $1399 MAP
  • Offset recessed inputs, side facing
  • 50Hx to 20kHz response
  • plywood construction

KC Island
#2829705 - 01/20/17 09:17 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: timwat]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa
Interesting...is part of the target market the people who might buy the Bose L1?

Too big for me to be interested in. I would be interested in the smaller V3 if it had the two features I like most about my Motion Sound KP 200SN: two inputs (to avoid bringing mixer) and monitor input (MS calls it "click track input") to avoid bringing a vocal monitor.

#2829707 - 01/20/17 09:22 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: timwat]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN
This intrigues me. Has almost always been a challenge to hear my keys accurately on stage. I considered the SS V3, but was concerned about having enough volume reserve for louder stages. Looks like the SS XL might provide clarity of perception and ample volume for my rig.

#2829710 - 01/20/17 09:27 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Sam Mullins]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Sam Mullins
I would be interested in the smaller V3 if it had the two features I like most about my Motion Sound KP 200SN: two inputs (to avoid bringing mixer)

I suppose you could just velcro a very small mixer to the V3 itself.

#2829725 - 01/20/17 09:59 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: AnotherScott]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
65 pounds vs. 40 pounds and $1400 vs $1000 MSRP.... For $100 less you can purchase a v3 with an independent sub-woofer like the Behringer everyone seems to match up with it. The bargain seems to have disappeared. Assuming a 20% discount the net price is around $1120; hmmm....

#2829730 - 01/20/17 10:18 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Delaware Dave]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Delaware Dave
65 pounds vs. 40 pounds and $1400 vs $1000 MSRP.... For $100 less you can purchase a v3 with an independent sub-woofer like the Behringer everyone seems to match up with it.

You'd still be missing the mixer, and the higher output of the XL, and giving up the all-in-one aspect (more audio and power cables to run). But yeah, each config will have its fans, I'm sure.
Assuming a 20% discount the net price is around $1120; hmmm....

$1399 is MAP, not MSRP, which means it it what it will typically actually sell for.

Edited by AnotherScott (01/20/17 10:20 AM)

#2829731 - 01/20/17 10:26 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: AnotherScott]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Funny thing is....for those gigs where an amp is my room sound, this one would generally be too much for the room. And for any gig where an amp is NOT my room sound (i.e., where there is FOH)....this one would be too much amp.

Who am I kidding, I'm still going to buy it.

#2829732 - 01/20/17 10:30 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: AnotherScott]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
I would be interested in the smaller V3 if it had the two features I like most about my Motion Sound KP 200SN: two inputs (to avoid bringing mixer)

Sure...the thought has crossed my mind. But I would still miss the monitor input feature.

#2829740 - 01/20/17 10:55 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Sam Mullins]
hazerkeys Offline

Loc: canandaigua, ny
Looks interesting - I have been thinking of replacing my KBR-3D (getting way to heavy) and I have a VENt now for my CX-3, was thinkng of the MS-500, but this looks appealing !!

#2829748 - 01/20/17 11:21 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: hazerkeys]
Beethree Offline
Platinum Member

I've shied away from the SS, thinking it would be under powered. This has my attention.

#2829749 - 01/20/17 11:22 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Sam Mullins]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE

Sure...the thought has crossed my mind. But I would still miss the monitor input feature.

The SS3 didn't cut it as a vocal monitor for me, I like my vocal monitor to be directional. It forced me to bring a 2nd speaker for a vocal monitor, which negated the 1 speaker stereo solution. I'd love to hear how the XL sounds, because I really did like the v3 for keys only, it just didn't have enough bottom end for some of the things I do.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2829751 - 01/20/17 11:25 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: DanL]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: DanL

The SS3 didn't cut it as a vocal monitor for me, I like my vocal monitor to be directional. It forced me to bring a 2nd speaker for a vocal monitor, which negated the 1 speaker stereo solution. I'd love to hear how the XL sounds, because I really did like the v3 for keys only, it just didn't have enough bottom end for some of the things I do.

Thanks....wondered about hearing the vocals through something that is so spatially distributed. I'll stop wishing now smile

Edited by Sam Mullins (01/20/17 11:27 AM)

#2829753 - 01/20/17 11:31 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Sam Mullins]
Polkahero Offline
KCFF League Champ '15
Platinum Member

Loc: Michigan
Both of my EV ZXA1 speakers weigh less than 40 lbs. I'll keep my true stereo sound vs. this "artificial" stereo imaging. I don't need a subwoofer in either a band or solo setting. No thanks!
Kawai MP7
Alesis QSR

#2829755 - 01/20/17 11:36 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: DanL]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California

Why wouldn't it be directional when fed a mono signal like a vocal feed?

#2829759 - 01/20/17 11:53 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: MathOfInsects]
BigJPatton Offline

Loc: LI
I like it, and if it turns out to be too much amp all the better I say, I like a bit of headroom, sure I don't want to carry more than I need but it's worth it for the payoff.

Looking forward to more photos.

#2829761 - 01/20/17 12:02 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: BigJPatton]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I would like to give this a test run and see how it would work as my utility amp. ( Banjo, Mandolin, A Guitar, Keys etc...) My concern is the Fishman banjo pickups I use are susceptible to feedback. Currently I repurpose my ZXA1s for this.

#2829769 - 01/20/17 12:47 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: DanL]
sleepngbear Offline
Gold Member

Loc: RI

Just curious, and not to hijack, but why wouldn't you want the vocals to come out as 'spacially' as the keys? The last few times I gigged with my SS3, I intentionally added a tiny bit extra stereo reverb to the vocal channel just so the little feller could do its thing. Small venues, so the volume was very moderate, and the effect wasn't huge, but I was very happy with the results. Although I am playing solo, so maybe your particular application has different needs?

#2829787 - 01/20/17 02:02 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: sleepngbear]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Originally Posted By: sleepngbear

Just curious, and not to hijack, but why wouldn't you want the vocals to come out as 'spacially' as the keys? The last few times I gigged with my SS3, I intentionally added a tiny bit extra stereo reverb to the vocal channel just so the little feller could do its thing. Small venues, so the volume was very moderate, and the effect wasn't huge, but I was very happy with the results. Although I am playing solo, so maybe your particular application has different needs?

I think there are times when you want that spatial effect, and times where you want to aim the sound in a specific direction. Depending on the gig, it's one or the other, or sometimes both for me.

Example: small, irregular room, intimate setting, no FOH except for vocals. Keyboards through CPS v3 every time. A bit of the vocal mix (plus stage wash) through my CPS so's I can hear what's going on. Same setup for small outdoor venues.

Example: band at one end of a larger shoebox. Decent stage room. Keyboards through pair of QSC K8s behind me, please. Again, a bit of the FOH mix so I can hear what's going on. Same for larger outdoor venues.

Example: larger stage, full band mix through FOH, stupidly loud guitar player who says he can't hear himself. One or two K10s on the floor, aimed at my ears, with some of the band mixed in. CPSv3 might do the job, but not what it was designed for.

Specifically, vocalists usually want a highly directional sound when they are using stage monitors at any sort of volume.

So, I see this in two applications for me.

One, gigs where it's an irregular room, I'm responsible for my own keys amplification, and the levels demand something with -- ahem -- more authority.

Second, want to try it out as an all-in-one PA for a band, see what happens. Positioning it will be interesting.

Keys: Nord Stage 2, Piano 2, Electro 4D
Practice: Yam N3, Bosie 200 Klimt Model
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Spider Pro, MG06, etc.

#2829797 - 01/20/17 03:10 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: cphollis]
hardware Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Nashville, TN.
Curious about the rubber stand offs on the right side.
Set that sucker on the top of a Walnut Leslie cab...

#2829799 - 01/20/17 03:16 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: hardware]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
700W?

#2829800 - 01/20/17 03:31 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: MotiDave]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: hardware

The ad copy on Aspen's website says you can use it either vertically or horizontally, I'm presuming that's why the feet on the side...at 65lbs, I think I'd have preferred wheels, at least as an option.

Originally Posted By: MotiDave
700W?

That's what Aspen's website says. It doesn't seem to detail how that "over 700w" is allocated per front, side and midrange (as it IS detailed for the SS v3), but given that the SS v3 is quoted as "100W RMS (Front/Side), 40W RMS (Midrange)", it seems like a healthy step up.

But of course that's only one side of the equation of apparent loudness - overall speaker efficiency is the other.

#2829809 - 01/20/17 04:02 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: timwat]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
Originally Posted By: timwat
Originally Posted By: hardware

The ad copy on Aspen's website says you can use it either vertically or horizontally, I'm presuming that's why the feet on the side...at 65lbs, I think I'd have preferred wheels, at least as an option.

700W?

That's what Aspen's website says. It doesn't seem to detail how that "over 700w" is allocated per front, side and midrange (as it IS detailed for the SS v3), but given that the SS v3 is quoted as "100W RMS (Front/Side), 40W RMS (Midrange)", it seems like a healthy step up.

But of course that's only one side of the equation of apparent loudness - overall speaker efficiency is the other.
From a loudness perspective the V3 106 Db spl, the XL is 116 Db spl. Reference points: EV ZXA1 126 Db spl; EV ZLX12p 126 Db spl; K10 129 Db spl; ELX112p 132 Db spl.

#2829810 - 01/20/17 04:03 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: MotiDave]
Polkahero Offline
KCFF League Champ '15
Platinum Member

700W?

Means nothing in this day of Class D power amps. The maximum SPL would be more interesting to note. FWIW, each of my EV ZXA1 speakers is rated at 800 watts.

Edited by Polkahero (01/20/17 04:03 PM)
Kawai MP7
Alesis QSR

#2829823 - 01/20/17 05:33 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Delaware Dave]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

From a loudness perspective the V3 106 Db spl, the XL is 116 Db spl. Reference points: EV ZXA1 123 Db spl; EV ZLX12p 126 Db spl; K10 129 Db spl; ELX112p 132 Db spl.

Also, though, if you're comparing a SpaceStation to a traditional stereo set up, you'd be comparing it to a pair of any of those other speakers, which means you'd add 3 dB to any of those other speaker figures.

#2829827 - 01/20/17 06:00 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: AnotherScott]
Polkahero Offline
KCFF League Champ '15
Platinum Member

From a loudness perspective the V3 106 Db spl, the XL is 116 Db spl. Reference points: EV ZXA1 123 Db spl; EV ZLX12p 126 Db spl; K10 129 Db spl; ELX112p 132 Db spl.

Also, though, if you're comparing a SpaceStation to a traditional stereo set up, you'd be comparing it to a pair of any of those other speakers, which means you'd add 3 dB to any of those other speaker figures.

Correct, and I might add the actual SPL for the EV ZXA1 is 126 dB! wink

EV Specs
Kawai MP7
Alesis QSR

#2829830 - 01/20/17 06:13 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: timwat]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: The Rig
Originally Posted By: timwat
... Space Station V3 xl.

When I see this pic I wonder why SSv3-xl, being larger and heavier, comes w/ the same strap-handle like the small SSv3 does.
I`d expect a pair of sprung-handles we find on pro flightcases or a pair of bar-handles we know from Marshall or other brandīs speaker cabs since decades.
Would make transport easier for sure.

When I see the rubber feet and the small rectangle grille between those on the bottom right, I guess thatīs the protective grille for one of the 6.5" side speakers.
Now, when operating the cab in a horizontal position while standing on itīs rubber feet,- is the heigth of the rubber feet and consequently the resulting distance to a surface big enough allowing developement of the "bloom" the overall design is famous for meanwhile ?

A.C.

#2829842 - 01/20/17 07:09 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Polkahero]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: The Rig
Originally Posted By: Polkahero

... each of my EV ZXA1 speakers is rated at 800 watts.

Yes, PEAK,- or program, or continuous or whatever BS !
Itīs 500W RMS at best.
EV zxa 1

In most cases, even the RMS power is more cosmetics than truth since speaker cabs, active or passive, were designed.
I really give a s##t on those specs.
Watts is just only energy, the stuff voice coils can take as fuel.
The acoustic result is a completely different story.
And donīt forget todayīs active speakers are almost all DSP controlled.
You get a class D amp pumping xxxx watts into some circuitry and the DSP, among other things, limits that input to a degree your 20 or 40W (program power) mid/hi driver (and possibly relatively cheap and weak woofer too) can handle halfway safe.
I say that because not every active speaker is really bi-amped.
If it is bi-amped, itīs somewhat the same.

Thereīs a class-D stereo amp module coming from a 3rd party manufacturer, both amps the same wattage into (most often) 4 ohms.
Now it begins,- the woofer is 8 ohms and the Mid/Hi horn is 16 ohms.
The reality is, the woofer gets half the power of 1 of the class-d amps and the Mid/Hi horn a quarter of the other.
The DSP is in between in addition, preforming "corrections".
In fact, w/ hi power rated amps, you get only the required headroom for your input signal, it not overdriving the amp.
But then, when pumping (advertised) 1000W into a 2" voice coil 12" speaker rated at 200W RMS, it might destroy the voicecoil and the speaker mechanics quickly.

According to power ratings, may it be music power, continuous power, program-, RMS or AES power rating,- there are so many measurement methods out there you better ignore most.

The only way is testing the unit yourself w/ the gear you use.
Talking about watts is like talking about my heating to me.

And, when we had no DSPs and software control/protection optimizing behaviour of speakers in a cab,- the quality and reliability of pro loudspeakers had to be much better.
I remember 4 inch voice coils, aluminium die-cast construction and large magnets.
Those were hard to destroy and without using any protections.
They had a weight though ...

A.C.

#2829849 - 01/20/17 07:25 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Al Coda]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Al Coda
Originally Posted By: Polkahero

... each of my EV ZXA1 speakers is rated at 800 watts.

Yes, PEAK,- or program, or continuous or whatever BS !
Itīs 500W RMS at best.
EV zxa 1

And IIRC, even the "800 watt" spec is based on a 400 watt-per-channel stereo amp integrated into a biamped system, meaning 400 watts (peak, whatever) into the woofer and another 400 watt amp driving the tweeter, though in reality, the tweeter never needs to see more than 50 to 100 watts of that. I know that's how the QSC specs work, I think the EV is the same.

But as you kind of say, wattage figures are useless in an integrated system. They are useful when you are buying an amp independent of the speakers, but when you can't use the amp separately from the speaker, it's a pointless figure, and says basically nothing about the volume level of the system. If nothing else, the same "400 watts" would behave very differently driving a speaker with an 85 dB efficiency vs a 95 dB efficiency. Although still imperfect, on an integrated system, the SPL spec is really what you need to look at, forget watts.

#2829862 - 01/20/17 08:53 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: AnotherScott]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
I use mfg specs as a guide, not as a bible.

I can't fully recall all the amplification gear that I've owned, or played with. It's a freaking long list. I've had gear with amazing specs that didn't deliver, and gear with more humble specs that brought serious game. Your mileage may vary.

Nothing matters until you get into the fog of war, and only then you figure out who's on your team, and who's not.

Just sayin'

Keys: Nord Stage 2, Piano 2, Electro 4D
Practice: Yam N3, Bosie 200 Klimt Model
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Spider Pro, MG06, etc.

#2829877 - 01/20/17 10:58 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: cphollis]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: cphollis
I've had gear with amazing specs that didn't deliver, and gear with more humble specs that brought serious game. Your mileage may vary.

True dat. For years I played thru a pair of small Peavey 3 way cabinets with a 150W amp built into each. They sounded really great, with a 12" woofer, a 6" cone midrange and a tweeter.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner