Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2848262 - 04/10/17 05:21 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: mate stubb]
Six-string-man Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: U.K.
I know that Aspen f***** up on here, and I truly believe that Dave was 100% right to ban him, but at times like this, it would really be handy to have him around to answer questions!

iI guess what I need is for someone on here to A/B this against the original SS v3, not the new "improved" lightweight one, and give us all the lowdown on the XL.

Is it as good as the v3 + subwoofer? Is it reasonably move-able with no side handles? 65 lbs is a fair bit to dangle from a single strap. In short, is it a better buy than the SS v3 and sub. Not so much financially, but practically, and soundwise.

SSM

KC Island
#2848267 - 04/10/17 05:41 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Six-string-man]
Six-string-man Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: U.K.
Apologies. Dashed this off before I realised that there was a Page 2 to this thread!

Also, just checked, and this is WAY overpriced in Europe, more than $250 surcharge compared to the USA. I have just officially lost interest.

SSM

#2850455 - 04/19/17 01:22 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Six-string-man]
Tibbit Offline

Loc: DFW
I've put in a pre-order at Sweetwater for an XL and asked Aspen when to expect delivery. He said late June, or if production is delayed for some reason - which could happen, as I know for my product manager experience, it may be a month or so later. I'll A/B compare it with a pair of QSC K10's at a gig or two and post the subjective results. I won't be using it with my Hammond, I have a Leslie for that, but will be sending it stereo feeds from my Nord Stage2 and a wonderful old Motif Rack ES that I use as an electronic wind instrument sound engine.

Dallas

#2850548 - 04/20/17 02:50 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Tibbit]
TimA Offline

Loc: Nuevo Mejico
Wow, that's cool! Can't wait to hear what you think!

#2850840 - 04/21/17 11:40 AM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: TimA]
Jazzooo Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
I liked this a lot at NAMM--I played through it and it sounded like the Spacestation only bigger. I know that sounds glib but it's also accurate.

#2852523 - 04/28/17 10:36 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Jazzooo]
Alan Steinberger Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I tried an SXL at Aspen's shop for a few minutes today. Definitely loud, definitely punchy, and definitely not the right tool for my purposes if I don't want the entire violin section of the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra throwing things at me. But I think this is going to work really well for keyboardists competing with Guitar God or Drummer of Death. Yes, it's a chunk to schlep, but not nearly so awkward as that old Motion Sound behemoth with the spinning horn.

Aspen has heard the complaints about the strap handle (I was one of those complaining when I saw a prototype at NAMM) and has some good alternatives planned.

And since I had an easy opportunity to unload my original SSv3, I replaced it with a Spacestation Lite (knowing that I'm not the target audience for an SXL). As with the unit I tested a week or so ago, the sound of this one is either identical to or slightly brighter and clearer than my original.

#2852818 - 04/30/17 05:28 PM Re: New Space Station XL from Center Point Stereo [Re: Alan Steinberger]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Las Vegas
No test needed from me.
Are we still talking July for availability?
Anxious for more balls outdoors...

#2855896 - 05/17/17 05:26 PM Spacestation XL
doctorpong Offline

I contacted Centerpoint about an ordered Spacestation XL. It looks like it is 8+ weeks out before first deliveries at this time.

#2855919 - 05/17/17 09:12 PM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: doctorpong]
davedoerfler Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
So July it is. Seems like everything is going according to schedule. thu

#2856080 - 05/19/17 01:21 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: davedoerfler]
cphollis Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
I go back and forth on the XL.

Yes, I get the fact that it's a SSv3 only bigger and louder. That's appealing.

The things I don't like? No DSP to tame the sound. It's 2017 folks, a DSP is almost mandatory for products in this price class. Looking at Aspen's response curves, it's a no-brainer. Sure, I could do it external, but why?

Size and weight. A pair of awesome self-powered PAs bring game. The original SSv3 ducked under this approach in price, size and weight, but this larger unit??

Bottom line: if you love the surround sound effects (which I do), it's a strong contender. Heresy, I know, but a decent replacement for a Leslie. Plus chorus effects on DP, etc. Love the stereo sounds.

But if it's about getting loud, I'm still in the self-powered PA camp.

Keys: Nord Piano 2, Stage 3 Compact, other stuff
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2856098 - 05/19/17 06:23 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: cphollis]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: cphollis
The things I don't like? No DSP to tame the sound. It's 2017 folks, a DSP is almost mandatory for products in this price class. Looking at Aspen's response curves, it's a no-brainer. Sure, I could do it external, but why?

I suspect that one issue might be that Aspen is practically a one man shop, and he probably has no expertise in designing a DSP. (Which may also relate to the potential expense of it.) On a side issue, it's interesting that so many powered speakers use DSP, yet manage to still sound so different from each other, which implies to me that designing a DSP to improve a speaker's sound is more complicated than it might appear.

#2856100 - 05/19/17 06:27 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: cphollis]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Size and weight. A pair of awesome self-powered PAs bring game. The original SSv3 ducked under this approach in price, size and weight, but this larger unit??

Bottom line: if you love the surround sound effects (which I do), it's a strong contender. Heresy, I know, but a decent replacement for a Leslie. Plus chorus effects on DP, etc. Love the stereo sounds.

But if it's about getting loud, I'm still in the self-powered PA camp.

For me, the trick of adding another small full range cab (K8) really helped with this - not only is the overall system louder with even more low end, but I can break it into two small pieces to carry.

I tried the same thing with a sub, but liked the full range option better.

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2856105 - 05/19/17 06:42 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: Dave Bryce]
dsetto Offline
Gold Member

While a non-issue for most, I don't want the tiny amount (~ 6/10th ms) of latency that AD/DA add in a DSP device.

I wouldn't have a SpaceStation v3 if it had DSP.

#2856107 - 05/19/17 06:48 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: Dave Bryce]
dsetto Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
... For me, the trick of adding another small full range cab (K8) really helped with this - not only is the overall system louder with even more low end, but I can break it into two small pieces to carry.

dB
Is this trick where you add a single PA speaker to the SSv3 (full-range) output?

#2856108 - 05/19/17 06:50 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: Dave Bryce]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

For me, the trick of adding another small full range cab (K8) really helped with this - not only is the overall system louder with even more low end, but I can break it into two small pieces to carry.

Did you ever try flipping it so that the SS is on top of the QSC? There was that comment in the other thread that someone found it sounded notably better that way, though you'd have to rig up some contraption to keep it stable if you wanted to really use it that way.

#2856118 - 05/19/17 08:42 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: AnotherScott]
BigJPatton Offline

Loc: LI
The problem with using powered speakers for keyboard stage amps is the sound field, they're designed to throw and the best place to listen is way away from the speaker, so some people on stage will either get a poor sound and/or mixed volume levels.

Not a big deal for stages with good PA's and monitors, but the more common deal for us scrubs is you get what you give.

So the XL is a decent option on paper, it should cover a stage very nicely, but I'm balking at the size and weight, call me Goldilocks, I want one in the middle of the two SS options.

#2856224 - 05/19/17 06:35 PM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: BigJPatton]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've tried the "SSv3 main speaker pointing down, full range on top" a few times: QSC K8/K10/K12, RCF TTO8-a, and Fulcrum Acoustic FA 12ac.

Plenty of data points.

Yes, it always sounded better, no doubt. Particularly outrageous with the top of my line, the FA 12ac.

But now I'm lugging two thingies instead of one thingie. And my whole goal with the SSv3 was to get by with one thingie. For low-pay bar gigs and rehearsals, not worth the effort for me.

For larger gigs, I'll bring the pair of self-powered PAs. I think the approach works well for quieter gigs where you want the surround effect and the venue doesn't lend itself to a pair of self-powered PAs.

Not what I'm doing these days, but I get it.

#2856251 - 05/19/17 08:20 PM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: dsetto]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: dsetto
... For me, the trick of adding another small full range cab (K8) really helped with this - not only is the overall system louder with even more low end, but I can break it into two small pieces to carry.

Is this trick where you add a single PA speaker to the SSv3 (full-range) output?

Yes.

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Did you ever try flipping it so that the SS is on top of the QSC?

No.

Remember, the midrange of the v5 is something I want to minimize. I have both EQ controls on the SS turned all the way down, so that one stays on the bottom.

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2856280 - 05/20/17 01:37 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: Dave Bryce]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
Last couple of gigs I've had, I've sort of been alternating between the SSv3 alone (sideways in an amp stand, front speaker pointed at me, side speaker firing at floor) and with the DXR8 (Yammie on top of the SS, front baffles aligned).

The former I've been doing for "tight quarters" stages. But I just got back from tonight's gig using both the DXR8 and the SS.

From now on, I'm going to have to stomach the "two pieces" schlep and use both. Much as I love the one box compromise, I just get so much better from the two combined I'm no longer willing to live with the SS alone.

Personally, i prefer the "all hands forward" config much better than the "face on the floor" version, similar to db's preference.

I gotta tell ya, with both speakers and the new Radial Key Largo, I'm a happy camper.

Have no idea if this influences anyone either way w regard to purchase decisions, but it's my report from the field.

#2856297 - 05/20/17 06:10 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: timwat]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

I've noticed a number of people have talked about choosing to use the SS or not depending on the stage setup and/or the room. I guess that's useful if you play the same places all the time. Personally, doing a lot of weddings and such, I rarely know those details until I arrive at the gig. And I'm not sure I'd want to take two amp rigs with me so I could choose which to use when I got there.

OTOH, I posted a while back that I've thought about actually driving two keyboard rigs to the gigs... a super lightweight rig (say, a Numa Compact and a Yamaha MX49), which I'd use if it's a rough load-in/setup, and a heavier/bigger rig that I prefer to play when it's not a pain to set up! I haven't done it, but it's tempting. Well, it's tempting until the morning of the gig. ;-)

#2856475 - 05/21/17 07:19 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: AnotherScott]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Now clearly in the dual rig camp, depending on band and venue.

Small rig: NP2, NE4D, SSv3, small mixer, SpiderPro stand, amp stand, throne, bag 'o cables. One trip on the cart

Larger rig: add NS2, DeepMind-12, larger mixer, another stand, a pair of self-powered PAs, and a bigger bag 'o cables. Bringing along the SSv3 for more stereo fill wouldn't be a big deal.

I'll reserve judgment on the XL until later this year, but as others have said here many times, the way you make a SSv3 bigger and better is to add something to it: self-powered PA cab, bass cab, etc.

Using dB's approach? A SSv3 plus DXR8 at full retail sets you back $1350. A SSv3 XL lists for $1399. And we won't even get into all the advantages a separate DXR8 brings to the table.

Tough call.

#2856477 - 05/21/17 07:25 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: cphollis]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Small rig: NP2, NE4D
Larger rig: add NS2, DeepMind-12

Surprising that you have a 4-board rig, where three of them are Nords with so much sonic overlap!

#2856479 - 05/21/17 07:30 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: AnotherScott]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Small rig: NP2, NE4D
Larger rig: add NS2, DeepMind-12

Surprising that you have a 4-board rig, where three of them are Nords with so much sonic overlap!

You're quite right. The only advantage is that I dislike doing program changes in the middle of songs, keyboard splits and all that. Without pressing buttons mid-flight, I've got all sorts of color for every song.

The collection wasn't by design, it just sort of evolved that way. If something had to go, it'd be the NS2.

#2860402 - 06/10/17 11:51 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: cphollis]
Rofox Offline

Loc: UK
Anybody tried this yet?

#2860409 - 06/10/17 01:26 PM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: Rofox]
davedoerfler Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
can you be more specific? idk

#2860492 - 06/11/17 04:45 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: davedoerfler]
Rofox Offline

Loc: UK
Yeah, sorry, I didn't allow for thread deviation.
Anyone tried the Spacestation XL yet?
Aspen's pre-order form anticipated availability from the end of April and Thomann's site states "back in stock 31st July" which suggests that they once had it in stock but sold out.
I'm sure that when it becomes widely available quite a few of you will give us extensive reviews but i was curious as to why it was so quiet on this thread

#2860525 - 06/11/17 10:47 AM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: Rofox]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
I've not yet read here of any customers receiving and placing into service this large magical device. I would expect we would have heard these reports so I will guess initial launch was delayed to sort out a ramp-up issue.

#2860566 - 06/11/17 06:44 PM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: MotiDave]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yes, Aspen said in a private communication he was taking the time to make it all good. We should all be good with that.

#2863843 - 06/30/17 02:03 PM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: cphollis]
Alan Steinberger Offline

I'd been meaning to post this earlier, but got slammed with work:

I tried a late prototype SXL a couple of weeks ago at Aspen's shop. It was a huge improvement from the already impressive one I had tried several weeks earlier. It's really loud, and has a very bright, in-your-face sound. It's a noticeably different sonic signature than the SSv3.

I played big two-fisted polysynth chords across all registers well in excess of 100 dB, and the SXL was barely breathing hard. Definitely not the right tool for my orchestra gigs, but I think this will be a big winner for keyboardists who've had trouble keeping up with painfully loud bands.

#2863857 - 06/30/17 04:06 PM Re: Spacestation XL [Re: Alan Steinberger]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Isn't it like 80 lbs?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner