Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2848909 - 04/12/17 11:07 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Nadroj]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Don't let them lure you in easily smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssiGC3BVotQ

"go thru the tone color evolution of piano sounds when playing live... that's also very cool...nuances that make your piano performance very special, that's also very cool too...you know; awesome... you can do some more modern stuff..." smile

At 47 pounds without internal monitors... no thanks I don't need to throw my back out again smile

KC Island
#2848911 - 04/12/17 11:31 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Jazz+]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Sounds very good on that Full Compass video imo. It always helps to have someone demoing that can play well. cool

I really liked it on a first short play at NAMM. Again like I mentioned earlier in the thread, in that short time I felt it was their best DP I'd ever played - both sound and action. Definitely a step up from the RD-800 on my first impression.

Even if the weight wasn't an issue though, not sure I'd part with the CP4 in favor of it. That mono CFX is such an important feature for me. Also the simple fact that it can sound decent through a brutal keyboard amp or the horrible "chick singer's entry level Carvin mono PA system" that you are forced to play through. razz

Wonder how the RD2000 would fare under those adverse sonic conditions ? wink

I'd have to have both side by side for comparison and both running through my speakers and preamp. It might take me 15 minutes to decide or maybe even two weeks.

All that said , I certainly wouldn't mind having the RD-2000 in our bedroom office to take the place of the CP5.

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2848918 - 04/12/17 11:52 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: George88]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
Originally Posted By: George88
I'll bite: "What?"

I looked it up. Paula White is apparently his third wife, and a well known televangelist and the personal minister to our president.

It was news to me...

#2848951 - 04/12/17 01:45 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: brooster1]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: brooster1
Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks
Jonathan Cain got his RD2000 and played it, as seen here, at his R&RHOF celebration party to benefit Make-A-Wish Foundation. It replaces his RD800.

Paula White's Hubby. Please send the Man a Bible!

In case you haven't heard, Jonathan did release a solo "Christian Rock" Album at the end of last year.

Forgetting any message, the music is quite good. Recorded at his studio in Nashville.

Yes, Paula is his wife. A very nice person to hang with, but privacy means I stop there.

As far as Jonathan, and the "give The Man a Bible,"

His good works for charity began long before he met Paula, and a bit before Journey.

Ever since he survived that horrible fire in Chicago, as a kid, that killed so many of his classmates, he's always been finding ways to pay it back.

#2849941 - 04/17/17 03:09 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: RABid]
Matthiola Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Some first impressions. The 'MD' piano’s (V-technology) are very special. The sound is rich, decay is very natural. You can play extremely soft with a lot of nuance. There is little listener fatigue. These sounds are all about the playing experience, I think. This is apparent when switching to the SN piano’s. These are still very good, but more static, your typical sampled piano sounds. Having both flavors makes a very versatile stage piano.

The e-piano’s are a bit of a revelation. I never really liked the Roland sound, always found them too produced and unnatural. Having owned several Rhodes pianos and boutique amps and FX, I can honestly say that the RD2000 reproduces these very fatefully. It’s all highly authentic. Roland nailed some of the modulation effects (CE1, SDD320). I’m basically a Nord user, but these e-pianos are in a different league. They may lack a bit of punch in a loud band (didn't try that yet). It’s nice to have the complete set of RD1000 sounds, these sound very authentic, but unfortunately I can’t compare as my mks20 has just died….

The action is fast and responsive, although a bit heavy for my taste. User interface is very intuitive. Didn't touch the manual yet wink I do miss SN bass sounds, these seem to be regular PCM type and not very special. The SN sounds are mainly pianos and organs. So no Integra soundset.

For anyone considering this piano, try to play it yourself as I think the V-piano tech is mainly about the playing experience.

#2849972 - 04/17/17 07:35 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Matthiola]
The_Star_Guy Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Originally Posted By: Matthiola

It’s nice to have the complete set of RD1000 sounds, these sound very authentic….

The action is fast and responsive, although a bit heavy for my taste. User interface is very intuitive. Didn't touch the manual yet wink

For anyone considering this piano, try to play it yourself as I think the V-piano tech is mainly about the playing experience.

Well, I still own & use a MK-80 (Roland's previous last & IMHO greatest SA Synthesis Digital Piano), and I can attest that the sounds of the SA synthesis bank of voice are indeed authentic and respond like those of my MK-80, which I still play regularly. The SA synthesis voices sound very good live and have a character all of their own which is much more pleasing to my ears than straight sampled voices. I am seriously finally considering selling my MK-80, although the wooden key action on my MK-80 is still better (and faster) than the action of the 3 RD-2000's that I have played thus far.

Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Kawai MP-6, Hammond XK-2, Rhodes MK-80; Yamaha AW-1600, Yamaha QY-100, Yamaha TX-7

#2849978 - 04/17/17 08:12 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: The_Star_Guy]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: The Rig
Originally Posted By: The_Star_Guy

Well, I still own & use a MK-80 (Roland's previous last & IMHO greatest SA Synthesis Digital Piano), and I can attest that the sounds of the SA synthesis bank of voice are indeed authentic and respond like those of my MK-80, which I still play regularly. The SA synthesis voices sound very good live and have a character all of their own which is much more pleasing to my ears than straight sampled voices. I am seriously finally considering selling my MK-80, although the wooden key action on my MK-80 is still better (and faster) than the action of the 3 RD-2000's that I have played thus far.

Interesting observation !

I too own a MK80 in great condition (tact switches, key landing felts and some keys replaced) and play it all day.
In fact I have it midied up to my KurzPC361 which sits on itīs flat top.
The MK80īs action is great IMO,- but youīre wrong w/ the keys ... thereīs not a single piece of wood in those keys,- itīs all plastic, which I know since we had it apart completely !
The white keys are all hollow and their edges cut the key landing felts sooner or later.
The black keys are massive where they land,- thatīs why it makes a different louder noise while playing.
But I donīt care,- the action is heavy but fast and itīs "balanced" not "graded", which I prefer when controlling a multi-keyboard rig incl. modules.

OTOH, the RD2000 is also so much interesting because it is much more a fully fledged masterkeyboard controller than the MK80 w/ only 1 ext. zone is and the RD2000 is multitimbral in addition.
I really hope they nailed the chorus- and phaser FX in the RD2000 īcause the ones in the MK80 are real analog (the complete FX-board inside is !) and sound good.

I really think about keeping the MK80 for the home studioīs weighted keys MIDI controller and buy the RD-2000 in addition.

A.C.

#2849995 - 04/17/17 09:09 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Al Coda]
The_Star_Guy Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Thanks Al for the correction! Hmm....Didn't realize that the keys were not wooden, as they play with a certain amount of "heft" and seem so precisely balanced when playing it as well. But mine has never been apart and still functions great. I, too use it as my primary living room piano and home weighted controller because the action is so great! And I also agree with you regarding "balanced" versus "graded" as well.

Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Kawai MP-6, Hammond XK-2, Rhodes MK-80; Yamaha AW-1600, Yamaha QY-100, Yamaha TX-7

#2850064 - 04/17/17 01:14 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: The_Star_Guy]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

But mine has never been apart and still functions great.

The MK80 is an extremely rugged and reliable piece of gear and I wished all the gear would be that build quality today.
The fixes I had to do after ~28 years of intense usage were minor and cheap.
The 5 keys didnīt fail or break,- just only some cosmetic damage of the surface.

I hoped the RD-2000īs action would be on par or even better !

Is it so much different ?

A.C.

#2850131 - 04/17/17 05:58 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Al Coda]
Randelph Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Wow, the MK80 first came out in '89! 76 pounds! So all the sounds, not just the pianos, were modeled? Sounds like a great in-studio or living room keyboard

#2850209 - 04/18/17 08:24 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Randelph]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Randelph
Wow, the MK80 first came out in '89! 76 pounds! So all the sounds, not just the pianos, were modeled?

It uses some kind of early model of a tine piano "engine", there are no velocity jumps and it served me well for Rhodes sounds in the past.
The vibes are excellent and the clav is very usable in a band context or playback scenario.
For the Rhodes it needed a lot of tweaks for the sound I wanted, but todayīs sample libraries are far more "authentic".
Nonetheless it works great because the finger to ear experience/ key to tone generator connectivity is very good.

Originally Posted By: Randelph

Sounds like a great in-studio or living room keyboard

probably not because the acoustic piano patches sound , well ... mediocre at best.
Typical SA synthesis like MKS20 and RD1000.
But they have some charme when tweaked (and layered w/ other sounds).
Iīd say all these SA sounds were overbrilliant and thin always, but w/ some time investment itīs tameable to some degree.

I expect the RD-2000 to be WAY better soundwise and Iīd hate if the action is not that good as the action in the MK80 is.

B.t.w., most of the weight from MK80 comes from the action only.
The bottom is solid (ply-?)wood, sides are plastic, all the other in the middle is aluminium.

No really lightweight keyboards w/ good weighted actions.
Lightweight is compromize always.

Finally, the MK80īs service friendlyness is top notch !
PSU, output-terminals and 2 boards inside on the bottom, you lift the top and you have access.
1 digital board, 1 analog FX board.
DAC is on the digital board, so in theory, it would be easy modding a mono FX-loop to use a overdrive, wah and ringmod inserted before the analog modulation FX make all stereo which runs to the outputs then.
I think Iīll do that once I have another keyboard, just because I like modding my old gear being out of warranty.

Another smaller board for display and tact switches under the small tilted "front-panel".

A.C.

#2850216 - 04/18/17 09:19 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Al Coda]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Originally Posted By: Al Coda

Interesting observation !

I too own a MK80 in great condition (tact switches, key landing felts and some keys replaced) and play it all day.
In fact I have it midied up to my KurzPC361 which sits on itīs flat top.
The MK80īs action is great IMO,- but youīre wrong w/ the keys ... thereīs not a single piece of wood in those keys,- itīs all plastic, which I know since we had it apart completely !
The white keys are all hollow and their edges cut the key landing felts sooner or later.
The black keys are massive where they land,- thatīs why it makes a different louder noise while playing.
But I donīt care,- the action is heavy but fast and itīs "balanced" not "graded", which I prefer when controlling a multi-keyboard rig incl. modules.

OTOH, the RD2000 is also so much interesting because it is much more a fully fledged masterkeyboard controller than the MK80 w/ only 1 ext. zone is and the RD2000 is multitimbral in addition.
I really hope they nailed the chorus- and phaser FX in the RD2000 īcause the ones in the MK80 are real analog (the complete FX-board inside is !) and sound good.

I really think about keeping the MK80 for the home studioīs weighted keys MIDI controller and buy the RD-2000 in addition.

A.C.

You're right on the plastic. I had an MK-80 recently, though I sold it. Had it apart to fix something with the action (replacement keys are still available). The action is severely heavy by itself and you come to understand the overall weight of the instrument. I found a MKS-20 and prefer its sound. The chorus on my MKS-20 is wonderful, while on the MK-80 it was lacking, possibly out of adjustment or some other issue, being analog and all.

Busch.

#2850327 - 04/18/17 05:22 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: burningbusch]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: burningbusch

... I had an MK-80 recently, (replacement keys are still available).

Yep,- Syntaur.
Also got the key return felts from Roland, but the key landing felts were unavailable.
Had to look for others elsewhere.

Why did I do all that ?

Well, the flat-top ... it makes it so easy to use a simple K&M stand w/o the need of any top-tier accessories, then put a 2nd keyboard directly on top of the MK80.
Kurz PC361 fits well and doesnīt need any additional support,- something bigger like the Yammi KX76 fits well too.
I donīt understand all the companies use the design w/ all the controls on top leaving no room for a 2nd keyboard.
Itīs so much better having both the keybeds (weighted and synth action so close together.

If there werenīt the action and the flat-top, I had something new since many years.

Originally Posted By: burningbusch

I found a MKS-20 and prefer its sound. The chorus on my MKS-20 is wonderful, while on the MK-80 it was lacking, possibly out of adjustment or some other issue, being analog and all.

Busch.

I used a MKS20 for a long time, bought one in a minute when it was released.
Great module !
Thereīs a real Roland SDD-320 Dimension-D inside which is hard to beat.
Dunno what it really is on the analog FX board in the MK80 ... needs some investigation, but I doubt itīs the same compared to whatīs inside the MKS20.
MKS20 and MK80 sound different,- and itīs not only because of the chorus alone.

A.C.

#2854791 - 05/11/17 09:55 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Al Coda]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Marko posted this on PW. I think it sounds pretty good. Still too heavy , for me at least, to cart around on gigs. But would be nice for home.

OT- I'm going to stop embedding You Tube videos from now on. I have the same problem as Steve Nathan and others where I can't view them in Safari, only Firefox.

Kraft RD-2000 demo with Scott Tibbs , playing only , no talking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrPH7H6-efk

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2854800 - 05/11/17 10:25 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Dave Ferris]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Among DPs, I was already impressed with the RD-800. Last Friday, I had a chance to demo the RD-2000. I am even more impressed with it.

I'm curious to see, hear and play the Korg GrandStage. If it combines the best of the SV-1 and Kronos, it is a winner.

Otherwise, as it stands right now today, if I were in the market for a DP, I would buy the RD-2000 immediately.

IMO, KB players are living in wonderful times as it relates to the gear available to us. thu cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2854804 - 05/11/17 10:30 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: ProfD]
RABid Offline
10k Club

How good is the RD2000 at controlling an Integra 7?

#2856155 - 05/19/17 11:47 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: RABid]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN
Originally Posted By: RABid
How good is the RD2000 at controlling an Integra 7?

Don't know anyone that's tried to do that yet, but I suspect it would be stellar. From studying the manuals and watching a few tutorials, the depth of controller capability reminds me a lot of the A90.

As mentioned in a concurrent thread, I just picked one of these up; and I think it's going to be around for quite awhile. I got the RD-2000 a week ago, on Thursday, and had it set up with a dozen scenes in time for a weekend gig. It's super-easy to work with, and appears to be quite the toolbox for stage. I'll post more as I get further in, but based on last Friday's gig: Plenty of variety among the pianos (string/pad layers are gorgeous, btw..), Rhodes sounds are great - and nicely varied - right from the box, and Wurlis and clavs are solid (though I want to dial in both of those even more to my liking). Best added benefit: An actual clonewheel-style engine with 9-sliders. Though there's no dedicated CV, and the rotary sim. is slightly dated, it makes this one a no-brainer for single keyboard gigs.

#2856185 - 05/19/17 02:42 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: allan_evett]
b3plyr Offline

I got to play the RD2000 for a little while and thought it sounded great. The keybed with escapement is very nice. However, is it true that you can only have one split point? I'm not sure as I have not read the user manual. It was easy to get a single split, though.

#2856191 - 05/19/17 03:24 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: b3plyr]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: b3plyr
I got to play the RD2000 for a little while and thought it sounded great. The keybed with escapement is very nice. However, is it true that you can only have one split point? I'm not sure as I have not read the user manual. It was easy to get a single split, though.

I believe it has one assignable split point.

However, it does have 4 zones that can be layered, and the range of each tone can be assigned. AT least that's what I see with a brief overview of the manual

#2856220 - 05/19/17 06:12 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: EscapeRocks]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN
Originally Posted By: b3plyr

I believe it has one assignable split point.

That's correct, for doing basic, quick splits from the front panel - as detailed in the owner's manual.

However, it does have 4 zones that can be layered, and the range of each tone can be assigned. AT least that's what I see with a brief overview of the manual

That's also correct, for doing quick layers from the front panel.
The Parameter Guide also indicates that eight internal, or external zones can be range assigned. That indicates to me that one could do up to an 8-way split - if no external zone control was needed in a particular Program. I'll test that out tomorrow, when I'm at the keyboard next.

#2856227 - 05/19/17 06:44 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: allan_evett]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: allan_evett
That indicates to me that one could do up to an 8-way split - if no external zone control was needed in a particular Program. I'll test that out tomorrow, when I'm at the keyboard next.

Would be great to know since it could be 4 int. and 4 ext. zones as a fixed configuration too.
Means,- not using external zones doesnīt mean MORE internal ones.
But it would be awesome when it were fully user selectable though !

A.C.

#2856446 - 05/20/17 11:38 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Al Coda]
HSFlik Offline

Each of the keyboard's 8 zones can only be used for either internal or external, but not both. You can set all 8 to internal or external if you want. The configuration is not fixed.

In fact, it's a little weird that the keyboard does not transmit any data via MIDI OUT unless you have an active external zone.

While I haven't done it myself, theoretically, an 8 way split is possible.

I would also like to add that the keyboard technically has 16 zones, but 9-16 are only accessible via an external controller. These also correspond to MIDI channels (and 10 is of course, percussion). You can issue patch changes / volume / any other MIDI command and the RD-2000 will respond accordingly.

Here is a video I made of the Roland A-49 (controller only) being mapped to channel 9, plugged into the RD-2000's MIDI IN. The RD-2000 is plugged into my tablet via USB, and recognized as an external MIDI device. I am sending preprogrammed patch changes (LSB/MSB/PC) to channel 9 from my tablet to the RD-2000, and controlling with an external keyboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzl1gHC4C-0

#2856999 - Yesterday at 09:44 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: HSFlik]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I came across this RD2000 / Nord Piano 3 comparison yesterday fwiw. Certainly not a conclusive context but just going on the video, I preferred the Roland here. The Nord sounded kind of raw but that's what many people dig about them. wink

I would have liked to have heard a comparison with the newest Royal Grand 3D sample as opposed to the Fazioli/Italian. The Royal , just listening to "'Round Midnight " on the Nord site, is the warmest , has the most body and is the least strident sounding piano I've heard from them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=folEzGHQBjU

Originally Posted By: allan_evett
As mentioned in a concurrent thread, I just picked one of these up; and I think it's going to be around for quite awhile.

And congrats Allan !

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2857013 - Yesterday at 11:10 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: HSFlik]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: HSFlik

In fact, it's a little weird that the keyboard does not transmit any data via MIDI OUT unless you have an active external zone.

How is this weird? Seems pretty logical to me.
idk

#2857015 - Yesterday at 11:18 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Markyboard]
HSFlik Offline

Originally Posted By: Markyboard

idk

I think I'm just used to keyboards where I don't have to press a button to turn on "MIDI OUT". All my previous keyboards were wimps compared to the RD-2000.

From the perspective of controlling external layers / zones in MainStage or similar though, yeah, it makes perfect sense.

#2857025 - Yesterday at 11:57 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: HSFlik]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Bit brutal comparison vid between the timbre of the RD2000 and the NP3. Creators say they tried to be fair. However they recorded it, neither sounds amazing. But in some of the back and forth the NP3 samples come off more convincing and more pleasant than the RD's model. I think they did a shoddy job making this vid. But it's out there, so here it is.

#2857033 - Yesterday at 12:34 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: HSFlik]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

idk

I think I'm just used to keyboards where I don't have to press a button to turn on "MIDI OUT". All my previous keyboards were wimps compared to the RD-2000.

From the perspective of controlling external layers / zones in MainStage or similar though, yeah, it makes perfect sense.

Understood - I think this is fairly typical for keyboards with "external zones". IIRC the Yamaha S90ES and Kurzweil PC3x behave this way to mention a couple. I assume the RD2000 receives midi data independently on each of its internal zones?

#2857034 - Yesterday at 12:40 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: HSFlik]
Ashville.Guru Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: India

idk

Actually, I think it's the opposite. Many of us let the laptop do the zoning, so you can just hook it up to any keyboard that's available and you have all your splits and layers instantly ready.

This works when all keys transmit MIDI by default on Ch. 1. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't this what most keyboards do?

For those of us travel with only laptops to use backline boards at the venue, Roland's "feature" is an unnecessary hoop to jump through. I do wish manufacturers stick to the MIDI by default standard.

- Guru

#2857039 - Yesterday at 01:09 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: ProfD]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: brooster1
The most disappointing thing this year at a Musik exhibition was the Roland RD-2000 at NAMM 2017.

Roland took the OLD TECH from their previous-previous semi-supernatural RD's and NX's along with the PHA 1, 2, 3, 4 etc and threw in the new -old ?V-Piano? then put some racing strips on the sides to pretend that it is souped up. Souped up? More like re-heated Mulligan Stew.
What I was hoping for was

While it may not be what you were hoping for, for those who like the modeled V-Piano, the RD2000 drops the price of that technology from about $7k to about $2,500 and drops the travel weight a whole bunch, too. And adds a whole bunch of other functionality that the V-Piano didn't have (rompler sounds, clonewheel, MIDI controller functionality). It's kind of the way the Kronos brought the OASYS tech and a bunch more to the much cheaper Kronos. Not a bad deal if it's what you're looking for.

Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
Bit brutal comparison vid between the timbre of the RD2000 and the NP3. Creators say they tried to be fair. ... in some of the back and forth the NP3 samples come off more convincing and more pleasant than the RD's model.

I agree, I'd choose the Nord piano, personally.

And I'd even say this isn't the fairest comparison, despite your description, because as he says, he just used the default piano sound when you turn them on. That's arguably a fair starting point for most boards, which presumably put what they think is--at least technically--their "best" sound first, whether it's something that uses their biggest/newest sample set, or in the case of Roland, they're most sophisticated modeling technology. But Nord is a little different because they have numerous high quality sample sets, often in no way technically better than another, merely different... but they still have to choose something to put in the first preset. In this case, it's the Fazioli, but that's certainly not universally considered the best piano Nord has to offer, it's just an essentially random choice from among numerous high quality piano sets. I'm also not even sure whether, by default, the Fazioli is installed in its best ("XL") sample size, maybe someone else can confirm whether or not that's the case.

The Roland offers more total functionality for less money (they're closer in price in Europe than they are here in the U.S.), and I know a lot of people really do like the Roland piano sounds and/or actions, so I would not be surprised if it were the bigger seller, but the Nord piano sounds continue to just work better for me personally. Though I'd be curious to hear some EP comparisons, since there have been some good reports on the Roland there, and I don't find the Nord's to be first rate. The SV1 is still my reference there.

Originally Posted By: ProfD
I'm curious to see, hear and play the Korg GrandStage. If it combines the best of the SV-1 and Kronos, it is a winner.

I don't think there's anything SV1-like about it beyond the look/interface similarities. Sonically, I think it's strictly Kronos-based. I think it will still be a really nice board, but won't have the SV1-specific technologies or sound sets.

#2857046 - Yesterday at 01:59 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Ashville.Guru]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Ashville.Guru

Actually, I think it's the opposite. Many of us let the laptop do the zoning, so you can just hook it up to any keyboard that's available and you have all your splits and layers instantly ready.

This works when all keys transmit MIDI by default on Ch. 1. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't this what most keyboards do?

For those of us travel with only laptops to use backline boards at the venue, Roland's "feature" is an unnecessary hoop to jump through. I do wish manufacturers stick to the MIDI by default standard.

- Guru

Eh, you may be right. I don't know what default means because I set up my own defaults. But every keyboard should be able to do what you describe, and most can. You may however have to be in a particular mode (Voice vs Performance vs Master for example).

I prefer to set up each keyboard/synth on its own unique channel. Why? Because I don't want to mouse around to enable one keyboard vs another. I often leave all the tracks in my DAW enabled and hit any one of 16 physical buttons on my controller (or combination of buttons) to switch from controlling one synth(or set of synths) to another. Like I said, just my preference.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner