Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2829338 - 01/19/17 07:03 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: zephonic]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: zephonic
Prolly not gonna happen, but what if they made a 76-key version with aftertouch? drool

Originally Posted By: Rusty Mike
The weight is still a killer for me.

Yes and yes. As good as this looks for what it is, I could imagine a VR-2000, i.e. an organ-centric version of the same design, with the faders replaced by things that look like drawbars, and smaller and lighter by virtue of having 76 non-hammer-action keys, but a high quality action, along the lines of what they had in the VR-700 or what they have in the Jupiter 80 (or even Jupiter 50). If they feel it's important to maintain more distinction between "piano" and "organ" models, they could take the V-piano engine out of the "organ" version. Perhaps it could have the SN synth engine, even if only editable via iPad (as they did on the VR-09). Something like that, with aftertouch, down in the 30 lb range would be a pretty killer board, that would leverage a lot of the same tech but appeal to a different buyer.

KC Island
#2829339 - 01/19/17 07:08 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: RABid]
rickzjamm Offline
Gold Member

Love the action of the RD-800 & RD-700GX (Have both) but the Forte superior in sound IMHO.
Also, is it just me or does the front of the RD-2000 look familiar... cough, Forte envy,cough.

#2829352 - 01/19/17 07:52 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: The Rig
To me it looks like a serious piece of pro gear.

But for better portability, I wished they had listened to us and came w/ a 76 keys version A-C where we reach the piano´s top octave by an octave transpose switch and momentary ft.-switch on demand.

Now we get 2 wheels on the top surface,- that´s welcome.
But ditching the damn PB/Mod-paddle, make the left wheel spring-loaded and assignable as a pitch bend wheel as well,- that would cut the width of the board in addition and probably save some weight too.

2 more questions still open for the time being:

a)
Is there now C/V availble for the super natural organ model ?

b)
How does the machine handle incoming MIDI via physical MIDI and USB MIDI ports ?
There are 16 Parts and 8 MIDI zones available.
Color coded LEDs for each zone,- RED = internal usage, green = external usage,- but outgoing MIDI being demoed only.

A.C.

#2829363 - 01/19/17 08:06 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: rickzjamm]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: rickzjamm
Love the action of the RD-800 & RD-700GX (Have both) but the Forte superior in sound IMHO.
Also, is it just me or does the front of the RD-2000 look familiar... cough, Forte envy,cough.

I hate unreliability in KURZ PC3 series keyboards, especially pitch and mod-wheel pots as well as the sliders.
I had to replace pitchwheel pots in PC3 already 2 times and sliders start crapping out too.
Never had that w/ any other keyboard I bought before.
Many surprises during performance come from slider values jumping, being triggered by keyboard vibration while playing.
Even incomplete boot/scan cycles result from the cheapo components.
Do we have significantly better pots and sliders in the Forte ?
The customer reports @Thoman for the Forte 7 are not good b.t.w..
It doesn´t make sense getting great sound but cannot trust the machine when in use.
I don´t see many Kurzweils being used by pro touring bands.
What I see most is Roland and Yamaha followed by NORD.
I guess those are the most reliable 3.

A.C.

#2829383 - 01/19/17 09:08 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: ElmerJFudd]
RickShapiro Offline

I am pretty much bought into the purchase of the RD2000. I have an original Nord Piano 88 and it has no layering or splits or other sound engines. I own a PC3 and the flexibility for layering is outstanding, the problem is the triple-strike if horrible compared to what exists out there today. Many of the PC3 sounds are starting to sound a bit dated. The problem with the Forte, is yes, they provided a single new piano and some updated electrics but the majority of other sounds are again just holdovers of decades-old samples. Not saying they are bad just not so great compared to some of the new offerings from Korg and Roland.

Right now I gig with a Nord and a MOXF but could go down to one keyboard, if the bed is good, has a lot of bread and butter sounds and can at least layer/split 4 sounds. The CP 40/4 does not do that for me. To limited on other sounds.

The RD2000 looks great, the RD800 had very good pianos and tweekability, I am assuming the RD2000 is even better.

Edited by RickShapiro (01/19/17 09:08 AM)

#2829389 - 01/19/17 09:22 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: RickShapiro]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
The copy suggests 8 zones.

#2829398 - 01/19/17 09:48 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: marczellm]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
Originally Posted By: marczellm
My first reaction was a quiet WOWWOOHOO!
Originally Posted By: Rikismyname
frown. I'm sure the rd-2000 will be great but I was really hoping for an update to the FA-06 with integra sounds and 16 layers.
The FA does have 16 layers, doesn't it?

and a LOT of the Integra sounds- it's missing supernatural brass and woodwinds but synth, piano, ep, organ, strings- all there.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2829402 - 01/19/17 10:07 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: davedoerfler]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
BTW, Theo, good to see you posting again. thu

Thanks.

Yeah I saw just one price which was a little over $4000 when I did a quick search yesterday night.

#2829409 - 01/19/17 10:18 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Theo Verelst]
Alexander Nagel Offline

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Originally Posted By: Theo Verelst
Yeah I saw just one price which was a little over $4000 when I did a quick search yesterday night.

It's says 2425 EUR here.

#2829415 - 01/19/17 10:34 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: DanL]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: DanL
Originally Posted By: marczellm

The FA does have 16 layers, doesn't it?

and a LOT of the Integra sounds- it's missing supernatural brass and woodwinds but synth, piano, ep, organ, strings- all there.

In supernatural sounds, the FA has a very small subset of what's in the integra, it's missing a lot more than brass and woodwinds.

The FA has the following SuperNatural Acoustic instrument models:

piano
EP (tine and reed)
clav
organ
acoustic and electric bass
acoustic guitar
ensemble strings

The Integra has all of those plus:

vibes
marimba
harp
sitar
accordions
harmonica
tympani
solo brass (trumpet, trombone, french horn, saxes, etc.)
winds (oboe, bassoon, clarinets, piccolo, flutes)
solo strings (violin, viola, cello)
elec guitar
glockenspiel, xylophone, tubular bells, steel drums
choirs
bagpipes

Those are the ones in fixed ROM. Then there are even more that can be loaded into the virtual expansion slots (ethnic tones, and more in the way of brass, winds, acous/elec guitars and bass, brass)

Outside of the acoustic instruments, though, the FA and the Integra also both have the same SuperNatural synth engine.

#2829417 - 01/19/17 10:53 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: AnotherScott]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

A couple days ago I watched Minions on Netflix. I think this instrument is neither the queen nor the crown, I', sorry to say. It does the same I hated about all the other redos and suggested "great sound" digital instruments that do, just like this one, hold their own in having some nice sounds, variation, and usability, but furthermore continue to "get it wrong" all over the place. Like some dipsh*t just has to destroy the integrity of just about every sound element that's nice and usable with at least some movement sh*t. Sorry for that.

Seriously, I did enjoy the RD1000 videos a bit, apart from the above mentioned, and certainly it was interesting to hear from Miki, though there wasn't much hard science info there.

I think it would, apart from not even thinking about the resources to get one, make a great instrument if the sound of the Vpiano part of the instrument can get pretty close to the VPiano which is a lot more expensive. Together with some of the nicely made Integra compatible sounds sets out there (even though some of the examples of downloadable libs to me sounds strangely bad) that is a killer instrument to play with. I didn't much hear that type of potential in the demos, but of course YT aren't everything, and Duke-y's piano might require a new Duke to demo....

T.

#2829463 - 01/19/17 01:06 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Theo Verelst]
zephonic Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
I just noodled on it for about 15 minutes, and it feels and sounds very familiar in a good way.

Now waiting for Scott Tibbs, Mike Phillips and Omar Hakim to get down!

#2829479 - 01/19/17 02:05 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Alexander Nagel]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Originally Posted By: Alexander Nagel

It's says 2425 EUR here.

$2499 is the US MAP.

#2829481 - 01/19/17 02:11 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: DulceLabs.com]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
I am not wowed by the piano sound. I'm sure that's one of the darker presets though.

I'm happy with my CP4.

#2829522 - 01/19/17 03:48 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: AnotherScott]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott

piano
EP (tine and reed)
clav
organ
acoustic and electric bass
acoustic guitar
ensemble strings

The Integra has all of those plus:

vibes
marimba
harp
sitar
accordions
harmonica
tympani
solo brass (trumpet, trombone, french horn, saxes, etc.)
winds (oboe, bassoon, clarinets, piccolo, flutes)
solo strings (violin, viola, cello)
elec guitar
glockenspiel, xylophone, tubular bells, steel drums
choirs
bagpipes

Now I wonder if everything above is available in the RD-2000, making the FA-06 and Integra-7 obsolete in regards of the Super Natural sound palette.

Outside of the acoustic instruments, though, the FA and the Integra also both have the same SuperNatural synth engine.

The RD-2000 doesn´t ?

A.C.

#2829526 - 01/19/17 04:08 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Al Coda]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
I played a RD-800 a couple weeks ago. The sounds, split and layer capabilities could replace my entire rig.

Note to self...stay away from the RD-2000. laugh cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2829540 - 01/19/17 05:30 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Al Coda]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Al Coda

Now I wonder if everything above is available in the RD-2000, making the FA-06 and Integra-7 obsolete in regards of the Super Natural sound palette.

Based on the spec page, the only SuperNatural sounds specifically listed in the RD-2000 are piano, EP, and clav. Oddly, not even the "Virtual Tone Wheel Organ" is listed as SN, though I can't imagine it isn't using some variation of the same modeling system they use on other boards and have been using really even before they were calling it SN.

Other than those, it only talks about PCM sounds, which are their pre-SN sampled sounds.

OTOH, there is some ambiguity because of this paragraph elsewhere on the web site:

"Roland’s SuperNATURAL technology provides highly expressive Virtual Tone Wheel organs, modern and vintage synths, clavinet, orchestral strings, brass, and many other sound types. "

So maybe there are other SN sounds in there, it's not entirely clear. I'd still be very surprised if it included the entire SN sound library, though.

Originally Posted By: Al Coda

The RD-2000 doesn´t ?

The spec sheet and web site don't appear to say anything about a SN synth engine, so I was assuming it did not, but there is that ambiguous paragraph above which includes the thing about modern and vintage synths. So, it's vague. There's not really a suitable VA synth editing display on the board, and no mention of an iPad app (as there was with the release of the VR-09, for example)

#2829560 - 01/19/17 07:02 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: AnotherScott]
BbAltered Offline

So, I was looking around the Roland website at their new RD2000 keyboard. Like a lot of digital keyboards these days, it has a USB port with which the user can use to communicate with a computer. If I understand the video I saw correctly, the RD2000 can send midi data to a connected computer, and the computer can send to the RD2000 the digital data that represents the audio output of software. The RD2000 can then output that digital data as audio signal at the audio outputs of the RD2000. I think the website advertised that the RD2000 can accept up to 192 kHz, 24 bit audio data.

This is amazing capability, makes using a computer on stage quick and easy, and has lots of possibilities.

1) Do other digital keyboards do this? I do not know of any other digital keyboards that can receive digital audio, convert it to analog and then output it. But then again, I haven't been following the technology that closely.

#2829562 - 01/19/17 07:11 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: BbAltered]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Hmmm, so it seems they've allowed for audio and MIDI streams over USB to run both ways. I wonder if this will require a proprietary driver, or if it's class compliant USB audio and MIDI on OSX and Windows?

Yes, there are other synths that do this - I am brain freezing on which ones...

Others like the MP-11 do USB MIDI to host computer, and then you come back analog signal which can be mixed into the keyboards audio outs with the internal engine.

#2829565 - 01/19/17 07:34 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: ElmerJFudd]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
Hmmm, so it seems they've allowed for audio and MIDI streams over USB to run both ways. I wonder if this will require a proprietary driver, or if it's class compliant USB audio and MIDI on OSX and Windows?

Yamaha MOX/MOXF/MX

#2829595 - 01/19/17 08:33 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: AnotherScott]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
And the Roland FA boards, as well.

#2829598 - 01/19/17 08:55 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: slowtraveler]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Posted over on PW. Fwiw first impressions :

They had about a half dozen RD2000s to play, no lines. Not good phones - Roland's own - but I've heard worse. Definitely better then the Fostex phones Nord were using.

The action - wow, very nice ! On par with the CP4 definitely (I stilll prefer the CFX sample on the CP4 though). And blows away the Nord piano 3 as far as playability. The player connection is the best I've ever experienced in a Roland keyboard and yes better then the RD800. It also meshes well with the main V-Piano sample. And that sounds even in all the registers. No notes jumping out. or too soft. Chords sounded good. Jazz single note lines felt / sounded smooth and phrases were easy to connect. Something I've always had problems with on all Roland pianos in the past.

Part of the bad -- I had to deal with a EDM/ DJ production 25 yards away that was ridiculously over the top LOUD. Luckily I came in on the tail end of it and only had to endure about 7 minutes. Man that was some evil sounding sh*t. cry

I found the FP-90 to play but another electronic production was starting…of course at ear splitting volume level. So I just had a short play the FP-90. I did prefer the player connection on the 2000 over the 90. It sounded crisper and an overall more sophisticated sound….more Pro where the 90 felt more home hobbyist. Could be a better DAC in the 2000 ? You could somewhat tell the action was the same but the 2000 felt easier and more fun to play. To be fair I didn't spend all that long on the 90 -- I really wanted to get out of there at that point because of the sonic pollution.

I like the design of the 2000. I didn't try to lift it but the depth gives the keyboard a somewhat compact look. It didn't seem overly long either.

I didn't try any editing or any EP, pad or organ sounds. I did do a LH bass split with the Ac. bass. That's not on par with the CP4's but it's good.

I think most will highly dig this keyboard. cool

Edited by Dave Ferris (01/19/17 09:40 PM)

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2829605 - 01/19/17 09:56 PM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Dave Ferris]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
blows away the Nord piano 3 as far as playability.

thanks for the review, Dave. twothumbs

#2829622 - 01/20/17 01:27 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: davedoerfler]
M_G Offline

Loc: Germany
Wow, pretty nice Stage AND Studio-Piano!!!

I played the FP90 a few weeks ago and the keyboard
feels and plays very very good (liked it better than the
keybed in my CP4!).

Midi/Audio over USB is a nice feature too.

Hopefully it would be iOS compliant to integrate
an iPad too (with Auria and some Softsynth it would
be a nice workstation).

Edited by M_G (01/20/17 01:27 AM)

#2829623 - 01/20/17 02:00 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: RABid]
Nadroj Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Must say, I got excited when I first saw it. Love the Roland sounds and looks like a good all in one package, but come on Roland, seriously? No 76 version? I never buy any Roland 88 boards now because they put so much unneeded length on every single one of their 88 key boards. I'm not even going to mention the weight.

While I'd love the idea of gigging with this, from a practical perspective I can't see myself ever picking one up. A shame. That Korg Grand Stage 76, however, has my eye. Will be looking forward to hearing more about that.

#2829628 - 01/20/17 03:35 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: DulceLabs.com]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: DulceLabs.com
Originally Posted By: Alexander Nagel

It's says 2425 EUR here.

$2499 is the US MAP

The $4k price is here in Australia - AKA Treasure Island. Some mfger's charge us the highest price in the world.

On the other hand a Nord Stage 2 EX 88 can be had here for $4,200, for the same money which would you choose?

#2829648 - 01/20/17 05:46 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Markay]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Markay
mfger's
I totally didn't read this as "manufacturers" on first glance, though the word I did see it as doesn't have a "g". laugh

#2829658 - 01/20/17 06:22 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Joe Muscara]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
I hadn't made that connection but now you mention it both work smile

#2829668 - 01/20/17 07:07 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: AnotherScott]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa
Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd

Yamaha MOX/MOXF/MX

And keyboards as old as the Novation X-Station, which has been out for a dozen years.

#2829697 - 01/20/17 09:00 AM Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Markay]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Markay

The $4k price is here in Australia - AKA Treasure Island. Some mfger's charge us the highest price in the world.
On the other hand a Nord Stage 2 EX 88 can be had here for $4,200, for the same money which would you choose?

Personally if the action is comparable with the RD-800 I would choose the Roland. The driver is how I like to work. I like to program my sounds and have proper multizone control and execute a thought out setlist based plan. If you are more of a real time knob twidler fly by the seat of your britches kind of guy you may prefer the Nord. I like Controllers.

If I'm doing a jam, pulling stuff out your ass sort of thing then my rig are separate pieces, no MIDI playing a Hammond, a stage piano and maybe a synth. The RD-2000 still look like it would more than fit the bill for that also..... But I like my Yamaha and Kawai stuff.

Edited by King Of Angmar (01/20/17 09:08 AM)

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner