Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

JMcS,

That you very much for helping to clarify this for me. The file system in the Hammond SK series is very archaic to say the least.

If there is no way to know what Library is needed for a given SETUP file, then what library voices are needed for the SETUP files listed on the Hammond Download page?

Bill

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

I'm pretty sure the setup files you can download use only the System libraries that come installed from the factory except for the one Whole setup file.

The process that I use is to load the libraries I want to use, set up the patches I want and then save it as a Whole setup. Then save it again as a regular setup for quick loading if necessary.

If I change installed libraries I do the same process again. I try to name the Whole and related regular setup files in a way that helps me remember what they contain.

Thanks again JMcS for your help.

So last night I followed the steps you outlined above and first Loaded a WHOLE file that contained the Library files I wanted to use. Then I loaded in some SETUP files that were compatible and saved the individual patches that I needed to a USB stick. Finally, I loaded back the WHOLE file I began with and loaded the individual patches in the User bank. I recorded/registered the patches as favorites. As I was nearing the end of this process, something happened and the UPPER manual became unresponsive to changes when I selected a PRESET or USER patch. The bottom manual changed as expected, but the drawbar settings, Leslie, Chorus/Vibrato, Percussion, OD on the top manual would not change.

I tried everything I could think of find out if somehow the UPPER manual was locked, even powering the unit off and on. The only solution I could find was to do a factory reset, which wiped out all of my work. I have the individual patches saved on the USB drive, but some of the "tweaks" I made did not seem to been kept, despite re-saving the file after I made the changes

Needless to say, I have lost some enthusiasm for going through this again, especially when I have no idea what happened in the first place. Does anyone have any insight on what would have caused the UPPER manual to become unresponsive to changes in PRESETS or USER patches? I think that my idea of trying to make this a one keyboard rig, may not be work the time invested.

Thanks,

Bill

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

When you make changes to a User patch and then save it as a separate patch file I don't think that also saves it in the currently loaded setup. Is it possible you turned the organ patch load parameters off (Pg. 76)?

Either I misunderstand what you are doing or you are making this much more complicated than it needs to be. Why are you saving patches as separate files?

Try this:

Load the Whole setup.

Pick a user patch like #99 just to pick a number.

Go through it and change the EV to something you want, set the drawbars and other features etc. Keep it simple just for test purposes.

Save the patch to User patch 99 again.

Save it as a new Whole setup.

Save it as a new setup.

Does all that work correctly?

JMcS,

I do remember reading something about the load patch section you referenced on pg. 76 and I think I may have done just that while trying to get the organ sound to not play with an EV voice. My error for sure.

I understand the process you described, but I guess it seemed easier to use parches that already had parameters set for things such as tonewheels, Leslie, OD, effects, rather than trying to just pick a number and use any User patch. I will try and see what I can come up with.

Thanks,

Bill

I was just suggesting a number you probably hadn't already done something with. If there is a given organ patch you like and want to use with a variety of EV's, just save that patch to a number of other patches and then change the EV in each one and save it with another name.

For example try this, if you like Patch 1 (or any other patch) for its organ, save it to patches 21 - 30 and select the EV you want to use for each one and resave them. Go through each patch and tweak them as you want them. Tweak them one at a time and save each one when you finish it. After you have saved each patch, assign them in order to the Favorites buttons so that you can get to them with one button press.

Because I only want the EVs to change and not have to worry about organ things such as drawbars, Leslie speed, and C/V etc. I have all the organ patch load parameters turned off. I have each of the favorites buttons assigned to a Patch with an EV I use. I can get the EV I want with a button press and that is the only thing that changes. The organ is always just live.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I think the way to get what you want would be to save the two tonewheel sets as tonewheel files and them load them into the other location. Put Noisy 60 in the BType2 1 spot and Real B3 in the BType2 4 spot. This will cause any presets saved with the BType 4 tonewheels to use the Real B3 tonewheels for example but if you want to start with the Noisy 60 this should do it. Good luck.

When you go to the load a tonewheel set file screen you should be able to select which location you want to put it in. I haven't tried it but I think you have to save them to the USB drive first. You can't just copy location 1 to location 5(the extra location) and then location 3 to location 1.

The ability to save and load individual tonewheel sets was added in update Rel. 8 so make sure you have that installed.

Just save your setup file to a USB drive. If you have installed libraries that the presets use, save a Whole setup. IIRC, whenever I installed an update the presets were still there afterward. But there is a risk of losing them so save the setup first.

If you go to the Custom Tonewheel menu page (the screen that displays Custom Number) and can scroll to the left you have the most recent version. Or scroll up to the System menu page and the main version should be 1.621

Trying to update for the very first time.

I have followed the directions on the HS site; I can confirm the sys files are loaded on the USB.

I get here and nothing else happens:

"The Information Center Display will show the following:

SK series system, insert USB memory..."

I insert the USB per the directions and nothing happens.

Advice?

SK is sensitive to the brand and type of USB. I have several 2 Gig made by Sandisk in the Cruzer series that work well. Some 4 Gb seem to work. Larger ones are a problem if the unit has a very old OS. BTW, SOME of the Sandisk are formatted weird to have a partition that is read only and a larger write partition. These will not work unless you get the software from Sandisk to remove the odd formatting. The SK can not see the files.

Found the 2GB in a pack of five at a reasonable price new on EBay, don't think the little ones like that are made now.

I think that there are mentions of this by a number of people on the first 5 or 10 pages of this thread.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Pretty sure that 32 GB is too large. Get on EBay and search 2 GB and 4 GB - not as many as a year ago, but still some available.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Could be something wrong with it, I suppose. One other thought: See if you can format the drive IN the SK1 instead of on a computer, then see if you can copy the update to the drive.

I did format mine in the SK1, it has been long enough that I don't remember if it worked before doing that or not. I've just learned over the years that many musical devices have something slightly different in their format than a Windows/DOS/Mac computer.

Jim

• 1 month later...
What does the "update" add?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

It depends on the update. Firmware fixes, updated extra voices, etc.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• 3 weeks later...

sorry if that was already covered (this is a long thread), but is it true that SK1 does not send any midi events for anything except for drawbars, keys and pedals ?

i mean, i try to assign buttons like percussion on/off and leslie slow/fast in software sequencer, but all buttons send the same CC (i think it's CC#6 or CC#99)

• 3 months later...
Yeah they are, just check them out , bear in mind no PB / Mod wheels. The stars I think are the mellotron sounds....

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

• 1 month later...
Lately it has seemed to me that the organ sounds are not as loud as the extra voices. The volume is set at 127 in the drawbar section and I keep turning down the volume in the EV section but it just seems the organ voices are weak, volume wise. Is there something else I'm missing? Does the organ section have its own separate section of circuitry that might be going bad in the gain stage? Let's hope it's not the last one since that would cause quite a few headaches schedule and pricewise. Thanks in advance for any expertise anyone can shed on this.