Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2827451 - 01/11/17 07:17 PM I wish I could carry VAST around with me on my iPad...
Sundown Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
Hey all,

I joined the Kurzweil elite about a year ago, and VAST never ceases to amaze me... Hell, you can pitch a PCM sample down to subsonic levels and use it as an LFO waveshape. That's some serious engineering.

Unfortunately there is a very limited amount of time I can spend with the instrument on a daily basis, and programming may not always be how I want to use that time.

I would love an iPad app that could generate a facsimile of the PC3xx sound (perhaps not at the full fidelity of the actual instrument), and that could transfer programs to the instrument via USB, etc. Then I could program sounds anywhere, and get a lot more done.

I know this is impractical on many fronts, but Man it would be cool... I love playing, I love composing, I love mixing and mastering, and it's a tough balance. Being able to program complex patches with a portable solution would be awesome.

(P.S. I'd actually like to see Kurzweil tackle a software-only version of VAST, for VST, AU, etc).

Just Finished: Condensation; Two Button Press
Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Fishing in Kingsbury
Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361
DAW Platform: Cubase

KC Island
#2827461 - 01/11/17 08:08 PM Re: I wish I could carry VAST around with me on my iPad... [Re: Sundown]
roygBoo! Offline

Loc: Pacific NW
(Slightly OT but not too much) -

I hear you man - the ability to tweak sounds anywhere, and have them available anywhere is the main reason I've been tweaking with iPad sounds for the last 4 years.

Really like being able to sit on the couch and tweak sounds with a pair of headphones, but know I can take it with me and easily use live.

So far, only Korg Module gives the "ease of live use", although other programs are getting better (lots of great synths on iOs now, including iSEM Oberheim, Korg Arp Odyssey and MS20, etc.)

Back to your point - to stay relevant, I think manufacturers, including Kurzweill, should consider making modules again that are highly portable (maybe even battery driven so you don't have to drag along the power supply if you want to use it somewhere briefly), relatively inexpensive, and easy to interface with constrollers - some people are going to be spoiled by iPads, laptops, etc., and really want those options.

Seems like the Korg Kronos, for example, since it is PC based, maybe the software underlying it could run on some Windows tablets - would be cool if Korg released Kronos on a locked-down Tablet, so that it couldn't be pirated, but would be highly mobile. Then the touch surface could be the interface.

Anyway, just rambling - 14" of snow here in Portland, we're not used to that much, so the whole place is shut down, more or less.

#2827484 - 01/12/17 01:27 AM Re: I wish I could carry VAST around with me on my iPad... [Re: Sundown]
TomKittel Offline

Originally Posted By: Sundown
Hey all,

I joined the Kurzweil elite about a year ago, and VAST never ceases to amaze me... Hell, you can pitch a PCM sample down to subsonic levels and use it as an LFO waveshape. That's some serious engineering.

Unfortunately there is a very limited amount of time I can spend with the instrument on a daily basis, and programming may not always be how I want to use that time.

I would love an iPad app that could generate a facsimile of the PC3xx sound (perhaps not at the full fidelity of the actual instrument), and that could transfer programs to the instrument via USB, etc. Then I could program sounds anywhere, and get a lot more done.

I know this is impractical on many fronts, but Man it would be cool... I love playing, I love composing, I love mixing and mastering, and it's a tough balance. Being able to program complex patches with a portable solution would be awesome.

(P.S. I'd actually like to see Kurzweil tackle a software-only version of VAST, for VST, AU, etc).

Great idea! Technically this should be easy since VAST is still DOS based. iPads nowadays have a lot more processor power under the hood than the PC3. If the Kurzweil people would be smart enough to offer such an app it would breathe eternal life into their OS.

#2827544 - 01/12/17 08:04 AM Re: I wish I could carry VAST around with me on my iPad... [Re: TomKittel]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
Making VAST work so that it would sound like a Kurzweil would be complicated technically by the fact that several custom Large Scale Integrated Circuits are used in the hardware product to actually produce the waveforms. These would have to be emulated and the emulation would have to be as fast as the hardware.

On the corporate side, such a product would likely never be authorized. As long as VAST is only available in Kurzweil hardware, operating system copy protection is not needed. The second challenge in a software only version of VAST would be protection from piracy.

Admittedly, I would also like the idea, but I don't see it as likely to happen.
Jim

#2827570 - 01/12/17 08:58 AM Re: I wish I could carry VAST around with me on my iPad... [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
RABid Offline
10k Club

I was just thinking last night that the one keyboard that I would like to buy before I retire is a Kurzweil. Always wanted one. Never had one. Almost bought a K2600 once but could not get anyone at the Nashville GC to wait on me. May have to work an extra year just so I can afford a Forte.

#2827572 - 01/12/17 09:13 AM Re: I wish I could carry VAST around with me on my iPad... [Re: RABid]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa
I started thinking about a generic way to do this for any keyboard.

Suppose you have:

- a keyboard X at home
- a sound editor running on a computer Y attached to that keyboard X at home.
- an audio connection from Keyboard X to computer Y
- A remote PC R running something like PCAnywhere (or some web sharing technologies) so you could use the sound editor on your home computer Y.
- An audio connection (e.g. VOIP call) from your home computer X to your remote computer Y.

This could probably be prototyped with existing tools but would be a bit clumsy. It's possible it could be done entirely with web sharing/conferencing technology (not sure about that) With some development it could be integrated it into one nice package. The advantage of this approach is that there would be no need for MI manufacturers to go to the trouble of doing the emulation. This would work for any keyboard that has a computer editor. There are disadvantages of course (like having to leave your stuff on at home.)

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner