Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

Glad to see someone making an amp which isn't just about distortion.

Well, it isn't- and it is. Not distortion generated on its own, but from whatever pedals one puts in front of it.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Glad to see someone making an amp which isn't just about distortion. But pretty far out of my tax bracket.

Most of the stuff Wampler makes is out of my tax bracket.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Seems like Mr. Black has produced the Bizarro World cousin of Earthquaker Devices Rainbow Machine and Arpanoid.

[video:youtube]

Sounds pretty!

I've programmed several patches in my old Yamaha SPX900 to do that, or the up & down version of it. It's just a pitch shifter in the feedback loop of a delay, so, pretty easy to do. But kinda only good for one use in a whole gig, cause, yeah, it IS sorta cheesy.

This is one of my personal favorite odd FX stunts! I've set up some very similar patches in my various GT-processors, and my old Digitech Studio 5000 (essentially the final version of the DHP-66), and even composed several pieces of Music using them. Any device that has Pitch Shift + Regeneration should do it for you.

@Scott: you can set this up easily within the GT-10, using the Pre-Delay in the Pitch Shifter or Harmonist effects. If you create a two-channel patch, you can have FX-1 and FX-2 each set to Pitch Shift, and have the two stereo channels Pitch Shifting in different directions at the same time.

@Caevan: You can probably set up something like this in your Digitech MFX?

FWIW, just running a Pitch-Shifter pedal or effect into a Delay pedal (or vice-versa, running a Delay pedal into a Pitch-Shifter) will NOT give you this effect, and many Pitch-Shifter/Harmonist pedals won't do it, either. The trick is that each repeat of the Delay line is Pitch-Shifted once again, so you get a cascade of descending, or ascending, intervals, at a fixed time rate. You can even try to sync this to a Drum Machine, Sequencer, or anything that sends MIDI Clock.

My general formula is to set the interval at a 4th or a 5th, either Up or Down, with 125-200ms of Delay Time, and around 90% Regeneration. Shorter Delay Times, and incremental amounts of Pitch-Shifting (Say down into Cents, as opposed to Semi-tones) will give you a cool "Barber-Pole Flanger" effect.

That's a lot of function, for a small pedal footprint. I'm sorely tempted . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

The only thing they really showcase in that video is the H9000; everything else, they just blow through. I still have no idea what that pedal is or does, and that's the product I'd be most likely to buy . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

• 2 weeks later...

I have had several Boss pedals over the years. They hold up very well and hold their value for resale as well. You can argue over whether or not they get the best sound, but Boss has always made a great product when considering quality and price... :cool:

ps. MXR is another great old quality standard...

Take care, Larryz

+1. While I've moved more into Boss Multi-effects in the last few years, Boss pedals always held up well for me, and delivered consistent sound and build quality. I've been very excited to see the Waza Craft re-issues of the VB-2 Vibrato and the DM-2 Delay. Now, if they would only bring back the SG-2 Slow Gear . . .

Very cool!

I have had several Boss pedals over the years. They hold up very well and hold their value for resale as well. You can argue over whether or not they get the best sound, but Boss has always made a great product when considering quality and price... :cool:

+1. While I've moved more into Boss Multi-effects in the last few years, Boss pedals always held up well for me, and delivered consistent sound and build quality. I've been very excited to see the Waza Craft re-issues of the VB-2 Vibrato and the DM-2 Delay.

Agreed. I currently have, use, and love two Boss pedals: an RT-20 Leslie/rotary-sim that I bought brand-new, and an RC-20XL Looper that I bought used for $50. I would have to spend a lot of money to get anything appreciably yet only marginally better than the RT-20 Leslie-sim (especially when heard through a full band mix), so it's not going anywhere anytime soon. And for an 'outdated', discontinued and relatively simple looper, that RC20XL is a LOT of fun!

ps. MXR is another great old quality standard...

I have an original 1970's-vintage MXR M-117 Flanger that sounds FANTASTIC, and I've also got an MXR Blue Box that is a lot of fun.

My VFE Enterprise Phaser is based, in part, on the venerable classic MXR Phase 90, and calls up its sounds with aplomb...

Now, if they would only bring back the SG-2 Slow Gear . . .

I'll tellya, Winston, that a used VFE Bumblebee will make you smile and forget about the Boss SG-1 Slow Gear and Guyatone SV2 Slow Volume; it might just be the very best envelope-triggered volume-swell ever made! It easily buries those two. They turn up on Reverb, eBay, etc.; get the latest-model, full-on Bumblebee with the optical compressor, not the Bumblebee Jr.; the compressor-circuit makes all the difference.

The only MXR pedal I do not recommend to others is the Dyna Comp. They do work great in combination with other pedals like OD's and Distortions, but I do not notice a lot of effect when using them on their own. I do love my MXR Carbon Copy Delay pedal but my Memphis Sun by Keeley makes a nice compromise for the sound I like. I still regret selling my MXR Comp pedal... :cry:
Take care, Larryz

The only MXR pedal I do not recommend to others is the Dyna Comp. They do work great in combination with other pedals like OD's and Distortions, but I do not notice a lot of effect when using them on their own. I do love my MXR Carbon Copy Delay pedal but my Memphis Sun by Keeley makes a nice compromise for the sound I like. I still regret selling my MXR Comp pedal... :cry:

After not using it for maybe a dozen years I took my MXR DynaComp to a rehearsal a few years back. I couldn't believe how much I disliked its quality of compression. I ended up doing that whole gig with no pedals. Maybe it never sounded good & I just didn't realize it, but I've been using a Barber TonePress for compression in recent years & it's light years beyond the MXR in my opinion. Or maybe the MXR caps have gone bad over time.

Scott Fraser

After not using it for maybe a dozen years I took my MXR DynaComp to a rehearsal a few years back. I couldn't believe how much I disliked its quality of compression. I ended up doing that whole gig with no pedals. Maybe it never sounded good & I just didn't realize it, but I've been using a Barber TonePress for compression in recent years & it's light years beyond the MXR in my opinion. Or maybe the MXR caps have gone bad over time.

I've found them to be hissy, breathy/pumpy in a bad way, unpleasant, new or old.

+ I think the Dyna Comp knobs are too big...I think they made them that way so you could make adjustments with your feet and not have to bend over. The only problem with this is I would accidently bump the output knob while stomping on other adjacent pedals. Then when I clicked on the Dyna Comp expecting some nice output, I would kill my signal LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Old effect but for the life of me I never thought about using the Kaos pads with a guitar.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have one of the original Mini KP's, the little red one. The main difficulty in using it with Guitar is that you really need at least three hands; two to play the Guitar, and one to manipulate the Kaoss Pad. Lacking the 3rd appendage, I like using it to process loops . . .