Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2826584 - 01/08/17 06:03 AM Magpie Salute tribute to Eddie Harsch (Black Crowes)
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
https://www.yahoo.com/music/video-premiere-the-magpie-salute-performs-comin-home-live-173242207.html

Quote:
The Magpie Salute is a new band bringing together three key members of famed rockers the Black Crowes — guitarist-vocalist Rich Robinson, guitarist Marc Ford, and bassist Sven Pipien. The lineup is rounded out by members of Rich Robinson’s own band, plus several of their musical friends. The outfit, which started in October 2016, has garnered excitement from the get-go, having sold out a four-night run at New York’s Gramercy Theatre this month.

Yahoo Music is pleased to debut a very special performance video for the song “Comin’ Home,” which begins with a tribute to late keyboardist Eddie Harsch (who passed away on Nov. 4). Harsch was set to perform with the band during their engagement at the Gramercy. The video was filmed in Woodstock in August 2016 and features Harsch talking, rehearsing, and subsequently performing “Comin’ Home” with the band.

“This recording came from the last time I got to play with Eddie Harsch,” says Rich Robinson. “He was my friend and musical teacher. His mastery and subtlety will forever be an inspiration.”

KC Island
#2826588 - 01/08/17 06:37 AM Re: Magpie Salute tribute to Eddie Harsch (Black Crowes) [Re: Joe Muscara]
Dr88s Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
I wonder how much post processing there was on the track; if that's how it came out live in one take, that was smoking!

#2826627 - 01/08/17 09:52 AM Re: Magpie Salute tribute to Eddie Harsch (Black Crowes) [Re: Joe Muscara]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
that was excellent, Joe, thanks for posting. I've seen CRB twice since the Crowes disbanded. Great to see Rich and Sven together again, too bad without Eddie now. RIP Eddie.

Wes G

#2826754 - 01/08/17 08:26 PM Re: Magpie Salute tribute to Eddie Harsch (Black Crowes) [Re: davedoerfler]
Baldwin Funster Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: On top of the world ma, on top...
Love the Delany & Bonnie song. I do prefer a sparser mix but i can tell Rich chose it with love because of how true to Delany he played and sang it. Rock on wherever you are Eddie.

#2827124 - 01/10/17 10:31 AM Re: Magpie Salute tribute to Eddie Harsch (Black Crowes) [Re: Joe Muscara]
Joe P Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Long Valley, NJ
Good stuff!

I like the Take a Pebble snippets he played at the beginning of the video. thu

#2827135 - 01/10/17 11:25 AM Re: Magpie Salute tribute to Eddie Harsch (Black Crowes) [Re: Joe P]
Baldwin Funster Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: On top of the world ma, on top...
Funny how they had 2 keyboard players covering bobby whitlock though. I know this is an eddie harsch thread but why not more love for bobby whitlock around here? I bet this is the only mention going back 2 years.

#2827247 - 01/10/17 08:05 PM Re: Magpie Salute tribute to Eddie Harsch (Black Crowes) [Re: Baldwin Funster]
zxcvbnm098 Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
Bobby is a monster. Great player, great singer. Hanging around Stax as a teenager wore off on him...so soulful!

Edited by zxcvbnm098 (01/11/17 09:35 AM)

#2827308 - 01/11/17 06:42 AM Re: Magpie Salute tribute to Eddie Harsch (Black Crowes) [Re: zxcvbnm098]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
I saw the Crowes in August 1992 I think. They did a free concert in Toronto at Dundas and Finch St. It was the same time the 1989 Steel Wheels concert video was playing on IMAX over at Ontario Place.

noblevibes.com

#2827343 - 01/11/17 09:44 AM Re: Magpie Salute tribute to Eddie Harsch (Black Crowes) [Re: Outkaster]
Gold Member

I worked for the Crowes label during the early releases, and saw them many times. They were a really great live band in those pre-jamming days. I thought they lost the magic as they headed in Grateful Dead/jam band territory later on. But their early releases still hold up for me; great songs and punchy production.

Best tour I saw was the Crowes headlining and Jellyfish the opener. Kinda like seeing Faces and Wings....amazing concert.

#2827363 - 01/11/17 11:40 AM Re: Magpie Salute tribute to Eddie Harsch (Black Crowes) [Re: zxcvbnm098]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Saw Eddie originally with Albert Collins .... at the old Lone Star Roadhouse in NYC....played a Korg SG1 and an old Ver. Korg Organ (original ver. from the 80's)

Good Good blues player way before the Crows, nice they are doing that for him....

Edited by Legatoboy (01/11/17 11:45 AM)

#2827402 - 01/11/17 02:17 PM Re: Magpie Salute tribute to Eddie Harsch (Black Crowes) [Re: zxcvbnm098]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: zxcvbnm098

Best tour I saw was the Crowes headlining and Jellyfish the opener. Kinda like seeing Faces and Wings....amazing concert.

I also thought of the Faces comparison many times. Always thought "Jealous Again" specifically could have been a Faces song.

Wes G

#2827482 - 01/11/17 11:23 PM Re: Magpie Salute tribute to Eddie Harsch (Black Crowes) [Re: davedoerfler]
Gold Member

Supposedly Faces albums were played to the band by the producer as the direction he wanted them to go for the first album. I have heard they were more like REM sonically when signed...

#2827547 - 01/12/17 08:07 AM Re: Magpie Salute tribute to Eddie Harsch (Black Crowes) [Re: zxcvbnm098]
Tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Saw them for the first time in 99 in Albuquerque (I was there on vacation) with Jimmy Page. I thought they were great. Ive seen them a few times since, obviously with a shifting lineup, the last one featuring Jackie Greene.

I went to Phases of the Moon fest in 2013 to catch CRB, but the first day/nite was a washout/mudslide, so it never happened. They're in Taos next month on a Tuesday, but I'm making the trek.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner