Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2825753 - 01/04/17 09:23 AM OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer?
Baldwin Funster Offline
Has been warned....
Platinum Member

Loc: On top of the world ma, I fina...
Im tired of looking for a drummer. Both have great sounds. Im curious about which has the best workflow for writing rhythms then arranging songs.

KC Island
#2825757 - 01/04/17 09:48 AM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: Baldwin Funster]
justin_havu Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somersworth, NH
I haven't messed with EZDrummer, but I love Addictive Drums. Plenty of patterns, and the kits just sound great.

#2825759 - 01/04/17 09:51 AM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: Baldwin Funster]
BbAltered Offline

Hello. I was an early user of Addictive Drums (AD). I thought it sounded wonderful (for all-natural drums - the early version did not include synthesized drums - some hip-hop style processing was available, but I did not use it because it didn't fit my musical productions). However, in it's newer versions, AD required your music computer to be internet-connected, and in my studio the computer is intentionally not internet-connected (I'm a Luddite that way), so this was a deal-breaker for me (Which is actually pretty funny, because now Sonar - my DAW of choice - includes AD as part of the software that comes with Sonar. So even tho' I get AD now for free, I don't use it because because I keep my studio computer off the intertoobz.)

I now use EasyDrummer (ED - insert penis joke here). Likewise, ED has great natural sounding drums.

For writing drum tracks, I use JamStix. JamStix will compose your drum tracks for you, and also includes sampled drums. To my ear, the drum samples in AD and ED are better-sounding than the drum samples in JS. So I do the composing of drum parts with JS, and then use the midi track to drive AD, and now ED.

Both ED and AD have included drum midi sequences. If you are doing typical rock or pop, those midi sequences may be all you need. I think you are in a win-win situation: both AD and ED will give you great drum sounds, and both give you midi sequences to speed drum arrangements.
Charlie Parker Omnibook
Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life
Weather Report Mr. Gone

#2825764 - 01/04/17 10:10 AM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: BbAltered]
davinwv Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Bridgeport, WV, U.S.
I've used both Addictive Drums and EZDrummer. I would choose EZDrummer by a wide margin. If you invest in some EZX Expansions and some MIDI packs, you will really begin to get the sense that EZDrummer is a platform - and not a simple plugin. I can't imagine creating music in a DAW without something like EZDrummer (or maybe Logic's Drummer or JamStix).

#2825836 - 01/04/17 04:05 PM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: davinwv]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I have all of the big ones, but still prefer BFD as it has so many features the others don't, and as I am extremely good at recording and mixing drums (wish I was as good with other instruments), I like for my VI-based drums to follow my session drums workflow.

Recently, however, I have taken to using EZDrummer occasionally for auditioning and modifying MIDI patterns to serve as a basis for already-finished songs that need for the drums to take them to the next level.

I own Superior but haven't yet tried it for the same features; not sure it has them. Higher level detail in sound though.

I own most of the libraries for each product, including Addictive Drums, which at one point covered some stuff the others don't but by now may be outmoded in that regard as the app itself is lower audio quality, less flexibility, and fewer features than the Big Two (EZ/Superior and BFD).

You kind of have to go BFD if you want to tightly control resonance, bleed, tunings, etc.

#2825864 - 01/04/17 05:29 PM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Baldwin Funster Offline
Has been warned....
Platinum Member

Loc: On top of the world ma, I fina...
Thanks everybody. I have been checking out youtube reviews and am liking the idea suggested above about writing drum parts in jamstix and maybe mixing better samples in ez or addicted.

#2825883 - 01/04/17 06:35 PM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: Baldwin Funster]
midinut Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: North Carolina
Another EZ Drummer user. If i'm just throwing things together while jamming along, I'll sometimes use the drummer in Logic or GarageBand which gives some flexibility, but I will usually go back in and replace these tracks later with EZ Drummer where you have much more control. I have thought about upgrading to Superior for some time, but really like the workflow and am happy with the flexibility I have now. I bought a bucketload of expansions too and if I ever do upgrade to Superior they will still work and I can still use them.

#2825888 - 01/04/17 06:51 PM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: midinut]
t9cstudio Offline

Loc: TX
Chaulk me up as another happy EZD user. I used to use Jamstix too and made 4 albums with it. EZD is just simpler for me. I hear JS4 is in alpha now, and from the screenshot of it, it looks much less busy and more intuitive than JS3.
I have Superior Drummer as well, but it's so far out of my pay grade I don't use it.

I also use several midi loop libraries that some are cheaper than the Toontrack loops.

#2825911 - 01/04/17 08:55 PM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: t9cstudio]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
I've been using EZ Drummer for a while now....it's....well.....easy. Sounds good for what I use it for, and simple to work with....

#2825937 - 01/05/17 03:10 AM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Indianapolis
Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
You kind of have to go BFD if you want to tightly control resonance, bleed, tunings, etc.

Superior has the same capabilities along with a whole set of plug-ins for sound shaping. It's very deep & very good IMO. YMMV

#2825953 - 01/05/17 05:01 AM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: mcgoo]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
If you use Logic for a DAW, it includes "Drummer", which I think is similar to the two you have mentioned. So if you happen to be on Apple that might be an option (of course you'd be switching to a new DAW, not a light decision). The many other Logic instruments are awesome.

I'd be curious though if Drummer is in the league of those others. I use it for the same things you describe, as a writing tool. I have the impression it's more "lite" than those at least at this time (they've added more drummers and patterns with patches).

#2825961 - 01/05/17 05:19 AM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: Stokely]
TomKittel Offline

I've been using Addictive Drums for years. The new version AD 2.0 is terrific. Great sounds, very easy to use. Plenty of drumkits available.

I am also using DrumMic'a, the free VST Drums from Sennheiser which sounds amazing. Check it out:

https://powerhell.wordpress.com/about/zourman/poor-mans-td-20/free-drum-vst-sennheiser-drummica/

#2825962 - 01/05/17 05:22 AM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: Stokely]
tucktronix Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: Stokely
If you use Logic for a DAW, it includes "Drummer", which I think is similar to the two you have mentioned. So if you happen to be on Apple that might be an option (of course you'd be switching to a new DAW, not a light decision). The many other Logic instruments are awesome.

I'd be curious though if Drummer is in the league of those others. I use it for the same things you describe, as a writing tool. I have the impression it's more "lite" than those at least at this time (they've added more drummers and patterns with patches).

I use drummer in Logic extensively. It's a great tool for lazy folks like me who don't want to spend a crazy amount of time on drum tracks. I'm relatively new to Logic, so it was of a big surprise for me. I may consider going to EZDrummer in the near future to increase my options.

Me & The Boyz
Chris Beard Band

#2825966 - 01/05/17 05:42 AM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: Baldwin Funster]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Baldwin Funster
Thanks everybody. I have been checking out youtube reviews and am liking the idea suggested above about writing drum parts in jamstix and maybe mixing better samples in ez or addicted.

Yep ^^^^ this. I own EZ BFD and AD2 - each has it's qualities over the other, but if I HAD to choose it would be AD2 simply on the drum kits, however the key would be to use Jamstix as the engine driving everything - soooo easy to create songs! Forget using DAWs haha!

And Jamstix 4 is not far away!

#2825969 - 01/05/17 05:47 AM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: Stokely]
RABid Offline
10k Club

I use both in addition to BFD3 which is the standard for Zendrum players. All are very usable. There were some really good sales between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Maybe you can still find some good deals.

#2826328 - 01/06/17 02:30 PM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: RABid]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

McGoo, what are these plug-ins you speak of? I thought Toontracks was a closed shop.

If anyone here has BFD, I'd be happy to share my presets, including all of the ones for percussion vs. drum set. I finally have them all up to BFD3 standards from BFD2, as of the holidays.

#2826570 - 01/08/17 03:58 AM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Indianapolis
Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
McGoo, what are these plug-ins you speak of?

Superior 2.44 has some basic stuff- EQ, compression, a gate, a filter (LP & HP) and a transient shaper. Each drum has its own output channel (which can be routed to any of its busses or your card's I/O individual outs) and can be bled into the mics of any other drums. There are also room mics (close, med, far, mono & bullet). You also have pitch & envelope control of each articulation of each drum. One can get pretty carried away!

#2826575 - 01/08/17 04:47 AM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: mcgoo]
fjzingo Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
EZ drummer when using Cubase which is my primary song writing tool, I have quite a few extensions to EZ drummer (percussion, funk and extra midipatterns like disco and a few from groovemonkee like fusion, funk...).

I also use tools like korg gadget and Logic drummer(which is awesome).

There are so many tools today so the difficulty is in selecting and limiting yourself to a tool which fits you're workflow. If I were you I would start with the tools included in you're DAW before buying something new, if they are not sufficient try out EZ drummer.

Cantaloop
Soulfetch
Soulbox

#2827459 - 01/11/17 07:56 PM Re: OT: Anybody use Addictive Drums or Easydrummer? [Re: fjzingo]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

OK, I'll have to explore Superior in more depth when I start my next album -- I am wrapping up the five current ones (working in parallel) with BFD.

I did spend four hours with Superior 2 after I bought it, and couldn't find the listed features, so I probably missed them due to not wanting to use built-in effects or mixers since I record Virtual Drums the same way as live drums and mix in-the-box.

Recently, I discovered the MIDI pattern modes of EZKeys and EZDrummer and am finding them useful as I can play the standalone version of those products while doing production work inside Digital Performer, and thus more quickly and easily make choices about whether something is going to work for a song or not.

In fact it was someone's advice here about Toontrack MIDI patterns that got me to look into them more, and I bought a bunch more of them this weekend during a sale. They are indeed of similar quality to the ones from Twiddly.BITS, and I'd say a good measure better than Groove Monkee's (though I got those so cheap that I don't mind).

I know that BFD has its own pattern mode, but I've never liked it, preferring to use their Guru product instead (and the other one whose name I temporarily forget as I tend to conflate it with the names of their virtual synths).

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner