Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2822126 - 12/18/16 04:37 PM FS: Warmoth Fretless P-Bass (Ebony) w/ Fender Pro Tweed Case
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Hit me up if interested; if no early responses here, I will place on the bay either MON or TUE, most likely. I'll copy most of what I put in the CL ad now. Photos can be sent.

Warmoth 34" regular scale, fretless bass in style of Fender P-Bass, with P-Bass pickup and controls. Bought used and the store label said rosewood neck but I'll be a monkey's uncle if that's rosewood and not ebony. Not even due to the dark hue but because of the grain. Others agree. But I can't know 100%.

Separately, I bought the high-end ($180) Fender Pro Tweed Hardshell case, which has never left the house. The bass hasn't been gigged by me; not sure about previous owner, but it checked out OK with my techie (no fret work needed or neck reset or the like).

I used this for a metal recording session. It's the nicest fretless bass I've ever owned, tonally, but after owning many over the year (the longest ownership was the Godin Acoustibass), have decided I simply must go to an Electric Upright so that my acoustic upright skills and fretless bass skills reinforce each other more closely.

I had to do a LOT of research to figure out the specs based on Warmoth's website (some I could measure myself):

Warmoth Fretless Precision bass
34" Scale Length
1.6875" Nut Width
10" Neck Radius, Standard "C" Shape, 1-Piece Hard Maple
Ebony Fingerboard
Alder Body
Graphite Truss Rod w/ 4-Bolt Neck Plate
Fender Standard Precision Bass Split-Coil Middle Pickup
Top-Load Strings; no Through-Body Strings
LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass Flat Wound (.043, .060, .082, .104)

I'm also throwing in a spare set of the LaBella strings, and these have only been played a few hours.

Price is what I paid ($600), or best offer, bearing in mind that it's only seen a few hours of play since being bought and that this will go on the bay if no interest expressed locally via CL or on this forum ASAP. I have an appropriate Fender shipping box, so it would be well-protected if shipped, but also not cheap.

It's frankly worth far more than $600; I got a bargain because the seller (or Guitar Center) didn't know what they had. But the bay is a hassle, so I do have some room for negotiation. The lower the offer though, the more likely I wait and/or just put it on the bay.

For those who provide emails for me to send the photos, sorry that the photos are a bit milky -- it's hard in the winter as it never gets very bright, and I hate flash photography. Everything looks much richer and deeper than in the photos.

For those who are local, this can be seen in Concord at or near where I live, or in the community building in Berkeley where my company rents offices.

Edited by Mark Schmieder (12/18/16 09:53 PM)

BP Island
#2827452 - 01/11/17 07:33 PM SOLD: Warmoth Fretless P-Bass w/ Fender Pro Tweed Case [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
SOLD locally on Sunday. I can't edit the title anymore.
Oh, I see now: the final reply replaces the visible title if you edit the title here.

Edited by Mark Schmieder (01/11/17 09:24 PM)