Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Bach to another SUBject; Has anyone bought and/or tried this $220 powered SUB from Monoprice?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=605999&utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=retargetting&utm_content=2x2&utm_campaign=q2_2016_test

I like the 1/4 TRS or TS in/outs (which are balanced, or not) so no special (read: expensive) 1/4" to XLR cables needed for use with the SS3. I also like the compact size and power...200RMS w/ a 10" is more than enough LF for the SS3 package (on paper anyway). They say it does 110Spl from 20-150Hz...that's also very good (on paper). And as a pro audio studio design for serious monitoring I suppose it sounds good (which of coarse, is SUBjective)

It's smaller than either the B1200 or Mini Tremor and the SS3 should fit nicely atop it's platform.

But also I like what says about the Low Pass Filter design passing thru the cutoff point to the following L&R outputs (NOTE: the Behringer B1200 has the same 'speak' but in practice it sucked gain from the system chain if you place it before the SS3, so I usually suggest using it post SS3):

(from the manual) "This (low pass filter) knob will determine which frequencies are sent to the subwoofer and which are cutoff and sent to the outputs. Rotate the knob clockwise to increase the cutoff frequency to a maximum of 150Hz. Rotate the knob counterclockwise to decrease the cutoff frequency to a minimum of 50Hz."

One more thing I noticed that I have never seen on any SUB; a foot switch that turns it (and the low pass filter) off on demand, again via a common 1/4" common jack. Useful in case the Bass player starts complaining you are stealing his space..."

So I am just curious if anyone here has tried it, and has an opinion.

If not, I may get one and see if it delivers as promised...right after the other two dozen things on my 'to do' list are crossed off! (Christmas around the corner and then NAMM show a few weeks later!)

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

I wouldn't trust anything from mono price based in my experience. Granted, I haven't purchased speakers from them, but their cables constantly fail. We eventually went through all the cables we had and pulled out anything mono price, working or not, and replaced them.

It doesn't look very stage worthy with a cloth grill cover, unless I'm seeing that wrong.

The frequency response does not specify +/- 3dB, +/- 10dB, +/- ??? Many speaker manufacturers will put something ridiculous as to what they consider "usable" vs "actual". This may simply mean that if you boost 20Hz EQ by 24dB at a low volume, you can hear something.

Max SPL is "peak" and doesn't specify a frequency. I can guarantee you based on physics alone that a 10" driver is not mechanically capable of producing 20Hz at 110dB with a 200W input.

All that being said, maybe for some situations it would be a decent match, I just don't trust the specifications or the quality.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I've had good luck with all of the cables I've ordered from monoprice + they seem really sturdy.

I have a KRK 10s that has the footswitch toggle feature. I don't use it with a footswitch, but I don't move this sub much less gig with it. Somewhere earlier in this thread someone had asked about using this monoprice sub with the SS3. I never saw a follow-up if they bought one.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Thanks for the comments guys.

Believe it or not we not have at least two SS3 adopters using it for composition in their home studios (synth and KB), and it never leaves their work space. One CPS family member I am in touch with is even using it for mixing in his project studio, albeit as an alternate speaker system and for listening at a distance. I actually cautioned him against it for that application, so as not to get his expectations up, but he likes the 'perspective' it gives him...go figure.

We also have several installs where the SS3 is mounted (upside down) in the ceiling of small bar/clubs where foot print is an issue. It's used as full time background music system and sometimes PA on week ends. I helped install one at a local micro brewery here in SoCal (I loved helping with that install!), and they seem to like it and we used a small cheap HiFi sub w/ a 10" and 100 which works great).

As I have always maintained, the SS3 LF response is fine for most applications all by itself. And 'when/if' you need to fill in b/w 30-80Hz...it doesn't take much. Remember our max SPL is around 106db, so a sub around 110dB is well suited for the task (f you can believe he stats).

So finding a small decent sounding studio studio SUB for around $220 is interesting to me. Actually, I may have already talked myself into trying one out as I have yet another micro brewery install in 'Gentrified' downtown LA on the radar soon, so I may try it out there.

Boom for buck I remain a big fan of the B1200. But I caution that it may be overkill...too much sub sucks the air out of the room so watch our for dagger stares from your bass player.

Then again, when they ask you to turn down...that is what I call a premium problem.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Hi Aspen....would it be a total waste to upgrade the 6" speaker as well?....I have a feeling your answer is going to be yes.

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

... 'when/if' you need to fill in b/w 30-80Hz...it doesn't take much.

... our max SPL is around 106db, so a sub around 110dB is well suited for the task (if you can believe the stats).

Boom for buck I remain a big fan of the B1200. But I caution that it may be overkill...

Well, actually I fancy the Alto TS212S because it has built in LP and HP filters,- so HP filtered outputs usable to go to the SSv3 like the intention was w/ the behringer 1200,- but according to your info, the Behringer sucks 10dB of gain, which IMO is a lot.

Now, the Alto´s HP filter for the outputs is 80Hz fixed,- not 100 Hz.

Is that still acceptable for the SSv3 ?

According to your 2nd line above,- I don´t believe most specs I read,- so I´m in doubt those Class-D power ratings are real and might be advertising show up in most cases.

Overkill or not, when it sounds good, has phase reverse and a volume knob, it should work, but the LP/HP filter specs might be the most important.

80Hz x-over to SSv3,- does that work ?

A.C.

... 'when/if' you need to fill in b/w 30-80Hz...it doesn't take much.

... our max SPL is around 106db, so a sub around 110dB is well suited for the task (if you can believe the stats).

Boom for buck I remain a big fan of the B1200. But I caution that it may be overkill...

Well, actually I fancy the Alto TS212S because it has built in LP and HP filters,- so HP filtered outputs usable to go to the SSv3 like the intention was w/ the behringer 1200,- but according to your info, the Behringer sucks 10dB of gain, which IMO is a lot.

Now, the Alto´s HP filter for the outputs is 80Hz fixed,- not 100 Hz.

Is that still acceptable for the SSv3 ?

According to your 2nd line above,- I don´t believe most specs I read,- so I´m in doubt those Class-D power ratings are real and might be advertising show up in most cases.

Overkill or not, when it sounds good, has phase reverse and a volume knob, it should work, but the LP/HP filter specs might be the most important.

80Hz x-over to SSv3,- does that work ?

A.C.

Aspen is obviously the final authority here, but I do recall him saying that the bass response starts to attenuate gradually after 100 Hz. That means that you're still getting plenty of response from the SSv3 at 80Hz.

Also, I guess you're thinking of putting the Alto ahead of the SSv3 in the signal chain? If so, I bet it's not a shelving filter, e.g. it just starts to attenuate at 80Hz which means the sub is still helping out above that point.

The 10db attenuation was never a big deal for me, as I had plenty of hot gain coming out of my mixer.

Looks like a nice piece of gear :)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

1.5 Year review:

Do the speaker lugs ever need to be tightened? Sometimes I get a harmonic buzz on certain notes. However, also I have my 1202VLZ-4 on top of the CPS.

I no longer use stereo monitors anymore, I only use headphones for sound creation, and the CPS for live playing.

Once you dial it in for the Waldorf Blofeld's tone, with the CPS amount, mid and highs, you are off the the races.

IT IS THE BEST MONITOR for a Korg MS-20 EVER IMHO. Also, my new old Yamaha CS-40M just sings through it!

Centre Point Stereo Monitor

10" mini tremor sub

Hey Zaphod

I've run into that before - one time it got real bad, took it apart and found that the tweeter that screws into the back of the larger speaker (to produce a coaxial speaker) had gotten slightly unscrewed, and thus buzzed on some notes.

Simply screwing it back in, firmly, solved that.

Contacted Aspen about that, and he confirmed it can happen (I think he noted it here somewhere as well).

Anyway, give that a shot - didn't take long to fix, I think I accessed it by simply (and carefully) removing the control panel.

I just received my SSv3 yesterday and I had a harmonic vibration buzz out of the box coming from the side speaker only. Upon further investigation, pressing hard on the cabinet next to the grill would stop it, but tightening the screws didn't help, so I removed the side speaker and discovered painted splinters around the edges of the cutout that had been rubbing on the speaker surround when mounted. I filed them off, remounted the speaker and everything is fine now.

I notified Aspen about it, but thought it might be relevant to you folks here, in the context of zaphod's question.

Now the fun of finding the best location in my room to get the best bloom (and bass).

To all,

Its been a while since Ive been here. Thought a few people might find this video interesting. A fellow Chapman Stick player/multi-instrumentalist, Jeremy Cubert, is playing his Stick in a live solo performance through an SSv3 and a Seismic Audio Mini Tremor 12 subwoofer. The SSv3/Mini Tremor combination works very well to my ears. It allows Jeremy to explore the full range of the Stick. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okIElfQKc1I

There's an explosive charge in my head. I'm gonna die if you don't kill me!

To all,

Its been a while since Ive been here. Thought a few people might find this video interesting. A fellow Chapman Stick player/multi-instrumentalist, Jeremy Cubert, is playing his Stick in a live solo performance through an SSv3 and a Seismic Audio Mini Tremor 12 subwoofer. The SSv3/Mini Tremor combination works very well to my ears. It allows Jeremy to explore the full range of the Stick. Enjoy.

Great video on the Chapman stick played thru the SS3, I really enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing! I also like my mini Tremor, it is also a good fit to the SS3.

BTW, I will have a few SS3 surprises to share in the upcoming weeks...so stay tuned!

I have a 'Lite Christmas' announcement for you about our latest run of SS3 amps; we've lost some weight!

I had been making 3 different AC powered versions of the SS3 since the reintroduction of the Spacestation v.3 about 2 years ago. One version for Japan (100vac), one for Europe and Australia (230-240vac), and the original version for North America (120vac). This makes more work and complicates planning each time I do a new run.

So I've been working on a new 'universal' DSPU (Digital Switching Power Supply) that auto ranges from 90vac to 250vac...no special rewiring or custom AC transformers needed. It also eliminates the heavy toroidal power transformer used in the old power supply.

Another benefit is that digital switching power supplies are far more efficient and so use less energy...not a bad thing in today's green conscious world!

So finally the design phase was completed and we have now incorporated the new DSPU into the latest run #9, which BTW is our largest run ever..thank you KC guys for spreading the word! These Run #9 amps are now in stock at all our Dealer Partners around the world.

This was an expensive 6 month design adventure followed by an even more expensive all new certification process (just this was about $25K out of pocket!) but which also now added the TVA Canadian approval label to our back panel. So now we can finally find a Canadian Dealer Partner who can import and supply our CPS fans up North! ((Note; I will continue to supply and support Canadian musicians directly from my shop here in SoCal w/ subsidized shipping until we have finalized a Canadian Dealer Partner...which I am working hard to find).

Additionally for Run #9, and while we were at it, I decided to switch over from MDF board to solid plywood for the SS3 cabinet. This also increased my cost of material but it reduced weight plus makes our SS3 cab even stronger....and no more stripped screws in case you want to 'Go Black' on your grill cloth material!

Neither of these 'in line' changes will make any change to the appearance, power or audio performance as compared to the previous versions of the SS3. However eliminating the power supply transformer, plus the lighter plywood material, means we 'lost some weight"! How much?

Well, the first SS3 version in Run #1 weighed 42 lbs, then some minor changes in Run #2 brought us down to 39 lbs, which is what the vast number of SS3 amps out there have weighed.

So now the latest Run #9 SS3 amps weigh just 32 lbs., down between 7 and 9 lbs just depending to which version you compare. Not drastic, but a 25% reduction is noticible!

Guys, this was an expensive adventure for me, but I think it will be worth it in the long run. It means some savings on shipping for my Dealer Partners (and you too), streamlines production planning for me as we expand into new world markets, and will also save a few old backs schlepping their SS3 to gigs!

Also, now when SS3 users travel abroad they will just need to change power cords (or convert their AC plug) for use anywhere in the world, or on those cruise ship gigs!

So I believe this was a good investment for the future of the SS3, especially as I have no plans to either replace or discontinue the SS3 in the foreseeable future. On the contrary, this little amp has been a God send for me and my most successful and rewarding product ever (on many levels) over my 40+ years of product introductions.

Lastly, and in case I do not get another chance to say this to you before Sunday; Merry Christmas and Happy 'Holy Days' to all of my friends here on KC, and THANK YOU for your many kind words and support over the last year. Wishing you the best year ever in 2017!

So I believe this was a good investment for the future of the SS3, especially as I have no plans to either replace or discontinue the SS3 in the foreseeable future. On the contrary, this little amp has been a God send for me and my most successful and rewarding product ever (on many levels) over my 40+ years of product introductions.

Lastly, and in case I do not get another chance to say this to you before Sunday; Merry Christmas and Happy 'Holy Days' to all of my friends here on KC, and THANK YOU for your many kind words and support over the last year. Wishing you the best year ever in 2017!

Right back at you, and thank YOU, Aspen! I'm so glad your life's work is paying off.

Here for the gear.

Yes, I would be interested in brining in my existing first gen for a swap out as well (not a full unit swap of course). Aspen, if you have considered it, I'd love to know the price to get the new cabinet and PS to do the swap? I happen to be in SoCal...but not sure where you assemble them? It would be worth the cost for me to get a lighter load for sure.....

Sweetwater still has 40 pounds listed under tech specs on the CPS SS3 page.

Good catch Dave, but of coarse that is because I always make these important CPS announcements here on KC first!

Then also, I think the team at SW is a touch busy a few days before Christmas...but they know about it. I expect they will make those changes in due time.

Yes, I would be interested in brining in my existing first gen for a swap out as well (not a full unit swap of course). Aspen, if you have considered it, I'd love to know the price to get the new cabinet and PS to do the swap? I happen to be in SoCal...but not sure where you assemble them? It would be worth the cost for me to get a lighter load for sure.....

That probably will not happen folks, sorry to say. The cabs and electronics are made in Don Guang China, near Hong Kong, while the primary speakers are made in Kentucky USA. So just removing these USA made speakers from the SS3 package probably wouldn't reduce the end price that much.

So probably it would be impractical (and very expensive) to just import these partial components.

Also, I have to plan runs 4+ months in advance so even if I could run extra cabs and power supplies...these would still be 6 months away and after importation (the DIM weight would make them the same cost) these would still be vey expensive, maybe 75% or more of current brand new SS3 prices.

Then also consider what an adventure you are asking for; you would have to remove all components from the old SS3 amps and then reinstall these into the new one...you would essentially be building an entire amp w/ these new components (handles, four speakers, 4 speaker wiring looms, 4 feet, grill...etc.)

So...it would probably be wiser to sell your SS3 and buy a new one...that would probably cost less $ (net) and save a bunch of time (many hours) and lots of effort!

And remember, the most important thing to most of us is sound quality...and that would remain unchanged.

Aspen, I'm not personally a user, so take this for what it's worth. See,s like interest and satisfaction is relatively high. Also seems there's a lot of discussion around needing a sub and requests for larger speakers. Any chance you're approaching a point where you'll introduce something larger?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Aspen, I'm not personally a user, so take this for what it's worth. See,s like interest and satisfaction is relatively high. Also seems there's a lot of discussion around needing a sub and requests for larger speakers. Any chance you're approaching a point where you'll introduce something larger?

+1

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

To all,

Not to hijack, but I must be living in a cave because I had never heard of the Stick before. I'm hunting for video now, and what a beautiful instrument. Thanks much for the enlightenment!

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

I suspect that there will be quite a few lightly used SS3's for sale for a while as folks like me sell their heavy ones to purchase one of the lighter units. (yes I want one...10 pounds less is a lot)

Great Boogie there Junkcar, love that groove and it was a nice recording too. Thanks for sharing!

But just to restate, the SS3 'Lite' is probably only 7 pounds lighter if you bought yours within the last 18 months or so (32lbs vs. 39lbs.)

Dan, string players who use stereo FX and/or the new modeling amps are just recently waking up to the 3D soundscape of the SS3 so maybe you can join the party soon! And if so, I doubt you'd need a sub!

In fact, and regarding the sub discussions here, while I like a sub in some applications I really would not consider one is really 'needed' in many (if not most) situations, especially if there is a bass player in the band. As has been mentioned here repeatedly during the first season, many SS3 early adopters who have bought a sub leave it home (or in the car) for some gigs as the SS3 can hold it's own nicely in those smaller venues.

Hi CDom, have you had a chance to replace the Eminence CX2008 with the new speaker already. I would be interested to hear about your perception of sound improvement for acustic piano? Thanks
Steinway M!70 - Hammond B3 - Nordstqge - Physis piano H1 - Moog Prodigy - Piano Rodes MK2

However, if I were ever to release a new CPS product, I will announce that here on KC first...as I just did with the Run 9 SS3 'Lite'! I 'officially' announce our new lighter SS3 amp at NAMM next month, but you heard about it here first on KC!

As a service to KC members, I am glad to stop by and gauge the weight. I can do a few tests: a straight pick-up off the ground. A little walking around with it. Carrying it to my car. Driving away with it. Using it from then on instead of my original one. I am happy to do all that if it will be of any use to other people. I am a giver.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com