Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo 61 Review - (LONG)

And it's something that is completely adjustable with ease. I'm not sure why you are posting this in a Mojo thread to begin with.

Dan, isn't it obvious? We post Hammond stuff in the Mojo topics, and Mojo stuff in HX3 topic. This is how we utilize Sven to go find stuff for us. Now where were those hammond percussion settings? Sven knows, he'll check the Mojo thread and then tell us how we don't use the search function correctly. You gotta admit, you gotta love this place.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I just received my Mojo 61.

Love it - but do some of you find it "Bass Light?"

It would be great if there were a way to have the EQ boost the bass of just the lower section. The middle to upper octaves are perfect so I don't want to use the EQ to boost the bass up there.

I'm coming from an original Korg CX-3 which has *balls* so maybe I am just spoiled?

The bass on the combo organs (the lowest octave) is barely existent. The pedal bass is also pretty wimpy. Am I missing something? Is there a way to adjust this in the editor?

drockfresh,

I have used a vintage cx-3 through a leslie (now a vent) for years...and for years I have tried to upgrade to a modern clone. Each time I try, our front of house engineer tells me the same thing, not enough bass. I even had Jim Alfredson almost drive out mid tour to tweak a loaner xk-3c and it did not pass. (I cancelled having Jim come out once the stock xk3c demo did not pass...) I just returned a mojo 61 for this very reason. All the new clones rock and sound vastly more B3ish than a korg cx-3, but you may have trouble trying to match the bass that a vintage korg puts out...let me know if you have any luck.

Will be bringing a hammond xk5 to our pre-production rehearsal next week, will let you know if I am finally able to stop playing the korg. Lol. Great forum btw, love the passion!

It would be great if there were a way to have the EQ boost the bass of just the lower section. The middle to upper octaves are perfect so I don't want to use the EQ to boost the bass up there.

I'm coming from an original Korg CX-3 which has *balls* so maybe I am just spoiled?

The bass on the combo organs (the lowest octave) is barely existent. The pedal bass is also pretty wimpy. Am I missing something? Is there a way to adjust this in the editor?

Yes, the bass is very quiet on mine too. I don't want to mess with the EQ either.

Yes, I do also. I use the pedal to lower drawbar coupler and pull the 16' pedal drawbar. Then it kicks noticeably better bass.

Do you know if there a way to shorten the decay on the bass pedals? I tried coupling to the lower drawbar but the bass pedal tones have a long tail that makes things "mushy."

Yes, I do also. I use the pedal to lower drawbar coupler and pull the 16' pedal drawbar. Then it kicks noticeably better bass.

Do you know if there a way to shorten the decay on the bass pedals? I tried coupling to the lower drawbar but the bass pedal tones have a long tail that makes things "mushy."

Yes, there's a drawbar for that. 3rd drawbar when the pedals are selected is for decay.

Moe

---

Yes, there's a drawbar for that. 3rd drawbar when the pedals are selected is for decay.

Awesome. Thank you.

I wonder if the "light bass" is in the software or the hardware/converters.

I am no engineer, but suspect its hardware because all of the models have light bass.

The only way to know is to compare to the *beefiness* of the VB3 plugin on a PC.

It would be perfect if they could give it some *balls* in an update, but if its hardware that's unlikely.

A software *tilt* eq that boosts only the bass area could help.

It would be spectacular if those low octaves on the Combo Organ and the Pedal tones had a kick to them. This would be the clone-wheel of the century- to me - that's all it's missing.

I don't think that it's "bass light", it's just a more realistic Hammond low end, which is not as punchy as clones have been, and this is the first thing I noticed about my Mojo and was thrilled with, smears sound so much better on the Mojo than any other clone. To me the low end of other clones sounds very "techno", which is a huge turn off IMO, but that techno bass is also very big which would explain a new Mojo player to wonder about this.

I don't think that it's "bass light", it's just a more realistic Hammond low end, which is not as punchy as clones have been, and this is the first thing I noticed about my Mojo and was thrilled with, smears sound so much better on the Mojo than any other clone. To me the low end of other clones sounds very "techno", which is a huge turn off IMO, but that techno bass is also very big which would explain a new Mojo player to wonder about this.

If they put a "bass boost" parameter on the pedal tones (and certainly the combo organ bass tones - lowest octave) it would "fix" the situation.

This way you can have your smears, but add pedal tones for your "techno" bass if required :).

For me, the best classic Hammond sound is, as often described, "throaty" rather than bass heavy. You don't always get this with all combinations of classic consoles and Leslies. But, when it is there, even on recordings, e.g. Bill Champlain, it is wonderful "glue" even on simple comp chording in a full band context. I wouldn't want a software update that increases bass note loudness if it is at a cost of less "throatiness." Is it related to smeared sound? Perhaps.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

If they put a "bass boost" parameter on the pedal tones (and certainly the combo organ bass tones - lowest octave) it would "fix" the situation.

This way you can have your smears, but add pedal tones for your "techno" bass if required :).

The Gemini module has an EQ in the effects section where you can add bass. I imagine the same thing exists for the Mojo. Also, adding 16 to pedal should also supply the extra bass need. There is really no need for additional features or asking for adjustments; the adjustments are already there.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The Gemini module has an EQ in the effects section where you can add bass. I imagine the same thing exists for the Mojo. Also, adding 16 to pedal should also supply the extra bass need. There is really no need for additional features or asking for adjustments; the adjustments are already there.

Adding bass on the EQ effects does boost the pedals but also the rest of the board (not in a desirable way).

It would be useful (to me) to EQ *only* the bass tones. A bass boost parameter.

I add the 16, but it doesn't do it (for me). The Farfisa bass is pretty much unusable (which is a shame because it's such a useful part of a real Farfisa). It really needs to be pumped up on the model.

• 3 weeks later...
Adding bass on the EQ effects does boost the pedals but also the rest of the board (not in a desirable way).

It would be useful (to me) to EQ *only* the bass tones. A bass boost parameter. I add the 16, but it doesn't do it (for me). The Farfisa bass is pretty much unusable (which is a shame because it's such a useful part of a real Farfisa). It really needs to be pumped up on the model.

Did you try the Tonewheel Shaping parameter "Boost 1" as suggested above?

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• 1 month later...

Great thread. Reading here has me inching towards ordering a Mojo 61 instead of an SK-1. There are mainly 3 things I care about: action playability, Jimmy Smith B3 emulation, and Herbie Hancock clean Rhodes emulation. There are no Mojos to demo anywhere in the Bay Area. And the only thing that gives me pause is the "shallow" action depth. I remember a B3 being too shallow for my chops; I remember the SK1 as being about right for my chops after playing an Electro 3 next to it with its frustrating up-spring tension that made it impossible for me to enjoy.

So, it's been 6 weeks since the last comment here. How are you all loving your action? Is it as shallow as the real B3? I am hoping not. How's the Jimmy Smith organ simulation and your Herbie Hancock clean Rhodes patch? They really sound good in the online demos I've heard... you think they're better than SK's ??? Is Sk modeled???

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I am still trying to make a decision on whether to get a Mojo 61 or the Gemini module.

My question for today is - how well would the Mojo 61 stack together with a lower manual controller. My hope is that the metal rail under the keybed is not too deep. It was a bit too deep with my Numa....which I was using with a Hammond XK-2 as a lower manual.

Though I still use and love the Numa 1, I sold some stuff and have the funds for a Mojo 61 or a Gemini. I am taking my time with a decision on this and trying to gather info, mostly on the Gemini which seems to offer a few more options.

Unfortunately I haven't had much hands on time with the Mojo in any form. But I am highly intrigued by all those organ samples and at least having the ability to add EP's, which I recall as being excellent on the Mojo 61 when I played it over a year ago at NAMM- though under very limited circumstances.

The Hammond action is better to me and I have both.

A very interesting comment from somebody who owns both. I have only played and SK-1 and a Electro 3. Dug the SK-1 action, but not Electro's up-spring pressured action.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

GAS attack... I just ordered both: Mojo 61 and and SK1 so I can compare their actions, there J. Smith soulfulness, and their Herbie Rhodes.