Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo 61 Review - (LONG)

And now a demonstration of why firmware updates are cool.

==========

Crumar is proud to announce the release of a new firmware update for the Mojo 61 that expands the sonic possibilities of this wonderful instrument, and adds new and improved functionailties to its control panel and to its exclusive web-app editor.

WHAT'S NEW

Two new piano sounds have been added, bringing the total amount of different sounds (and actual different synthesis engines) to eight.

First, we have added the classic "DX E.PIANO" mostly known for being a widely used electric piano sound in the majority of the pop music of the eighties. It is based on the very same "Phase Modulation" synthesis as used in the original instrument that first introduced this sound back in the days.

Second, we have added a sampled Acoustic Grand Piano based on more than 230 Mb worth of stereo multi-samples played back by our own GSP-01 synthesis engine also found in the GSi Gemini, which features our exclusive "physical modeling piano harp" that turns samples into an alive and natural sound by adding the sympathetic resonances also found in the real life instrument.

WHAT'S CHANGED

This new firmware update has changed some of the shortcuts used for switching sounds and effects from the physical control panel.

First, the two Combo Organ sounds and the four Piano sounds can now be recalled directly from the panel at the touch of a single button, by means of the four PRESET A-B buttons.

Second, all effects associated to either one of the two Combo Organs or to one of the four Piano sounds are now automatically "remembered" and stored permanently into memory, allowing the switch, for example, from a Tine Piano with stereo auto-panner to a Reed piano with mono tremolo, without having to reprogram the effect each time.

ONE MORE IMPORTANT CHANGE

One of the most asked for features was the implementation of more than one memory slot for storing all editing parameters. This new update replaces the old "SAVE ALL" button with a "SNAPSHOT" button that pops-up a window containing eight memory slots where all settings can be stored to or recalled from, setting the last used one as the default slot used by the instrument upon startup.

WHAT ELSE

Other two minor changes: first, the instrument TYPE button, that normally cycles instruments from top to bottom of the list, can now cycle from bottom to top if it is depressed along with the SHIFT button. With this little change it is now possible to switch between VB3 and Piano skipping the Combos and the Pipe organ in between. Second, the wi-fi reset button located on the back of the instrument now performs an automatic system restart when pushed.

IN CONCLUSION

The update can be downloaded, as usual, from the Crumar website by browsing the Support page and selecting the Mojo 61 from the drop-down list. The update file contains a README file with instructions on how to perform the update and a "Version history". The user manual has been updated as well.

A short video showing the new panel functions can be viewed at this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Qpki5Nn1U

We always try to do our best in order to meet our customer's requirements and make them the happiest people using and playing their favorite music with our instruments. To that end, we always feel glad to know that people appreciate our work and support us by offering suggestions and any other kind of feedback.

We hope that you appreciate this update and enjoy your Mojo 61 as much as we enjoy seeing you playing it!

:)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Nice. Was hoping for a clav to be added. I cannot tell you how much more I would appreciate a clav in place of a DX7 piano.

Nice also to see easier single button switching between sounds.

Next wish: remember individual FX depth and rate per instrument. If I set rate and depth to be right for a wurli tremolo, it's wrong for Rhodes stereo pan.

Moe

---

Can anyone speak to the quality of the acoustic grand piano that will be included in the update?
It's better than the acoustic piano on my Kurz PC3.

Here is a soundclip. Go to 4:00 mark

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2790438/all/Mojo_61_Hidden_Sounds

"Anyone know why Crumar would hide the acoustic piano and FM electric piano sounds from the Mojo 61? Are they in there by mistake? Seems odd to me that they didn't mention them in marketing materials."

To get the sounds:

- Press the EP button

- Hold down shift button and press Preset A or Preset B (left side presets)

So Mr BrandonBruce... you are the first one who discovered our "easter egg"? Congratulations!

They were there from the first release... waiting for someone to discover...

:cool:

---

I suspected from the start that the silicon in the Mojo61 was very similar or even exactly the same as what they put in the Gemini rack/desktop modules. In which case, at some point the decision was made not to offer the whole Gemini enchilada in the Mojo61 at $1499 (In particular, not the GVA-1 because it the design doesn't have the UI for it). But, if the flash ram in the Mojo61 is big enough for GSi/Crumar to include most or all of their Gemini libraries - then they had the making of a budget conscious alternative to the Nord Electro or SK-1 all along (and that's a good thing) but didn't market it that way from the start for some reason. Assuming the build quality and operation are solid - it's a great choice over the XK-1c and Numa Organ 2.

I'll go back to dreaming about their single manual 73 key DMC-1 now.... :bor:

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

These updates pretty much addressed most things I didn't like about the mojo61. I too would like to see a clav . The one thing that still hasn't been addressed is the ability to assign 2 knobs to control effect speed and depth. But this is a big step forward. I'm starting to regret giving the 61 back after a cpl weeks with it.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

I installed the 1.1 update tonight. Since I already knew about the 2 new pianos and had them before I won't comment on them much. Suffice to say the AP is quite useable and the FM piano gives me 80s flashbacks.

The real story is the UI useability tweaks. Now it is so much easier to switch to a particular piano or organ. It's also easier to switch CV on both manuals in split mode, thanks Guido!

It seems that more effects params are remembered per instrument than before (not completely sure I understood how it all worked before I updated.) Anyway, now Rhodes vib and chorus and wurli trem and chorus remember rate and level separately. If you switch FX1 or FX2 types they are not remembered separately.

All in all a great update that upgrades the useability significantly.

Moe

---

Being able to hit a button and go straight to a preset (sample set and all fx parameters, as well as organ presets) I would think is a VERY important feature. You don't really want to have to get to your patch step by step every time sit down at the keyboard.

So, tell me... do you still need to,

"- Press the EP button

- Hold down shift button and press Preset A or Preset B (left side presets)"

Because that is a pretty inconvenient sequence of steps to go through to recall your acoustic piano or FM piano a show. Is recall of patches generally just easier now?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Being able to hit a button and go straight to a preset (sample set and all fx parameters, as well as organ presets) I would think is a VERY important feature. You don't really want to have to get to your patch step by step every time sit down at the keyboard.

"- Press the EP button

Because that is a pretty inconvenient sequence of steps to go through to recall your acoustic piano or FM piano a show. Is recall of patches generally just easier now?

When you set the instrument button to EP, all 4 pianos are available on Upper A B and lower A B. Whatever piano you last used is lit and selected. No shift button necessary.

Moe

---

"- Press the EP button

Yeah I don't like the mapping on the Mojo. The Hammond stuff is a lot easier.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

As far as Hammond stuff is concerned, I played an SK2 in Los Angeles this weekend , and I have to say I don't get it....

The percussion seemed very strange to me. Not only that, but the percussion triggered loudly in the upper octave. No Hammond I have does that.

I do tend to prefer long percussion decay. The percussion volume overall was intense on the SK2.

I suppose I could have tried to tweak it to death, but the interface for that was daunting. But I would vote for a percussion volume dial for any clone if I had my way.

Somehow , I sense there is an allegiance to the Hammond logo. Or allegiances from endorsees...

I still don't get it.

As far as Hammond stuff is concerned, I played an SK2 in Los Angeles this weekend , and I have to say I don't get it....

The percussion seemed very strange to me. Not only that, but the percussion triggered loudly in the upper octave. No Hammond I have does that.

I do tend to prefer long percussion decay. The percussion volume overall was intense on the SK2.

I suppose I could have tried to tweak it to death, but the interface for that was daunting. But I would vote for a percussion volume dial for any clone if I had my way.

Somehow , I sense there is an allegiance to the Hammond logo. Or allegiances from endorsees...

I still don't get it.

So your comments about percussion are directly related to the "ease of access of other sounds" comment made by Outkaster. Your snide suggestion that Outkaster should be "outed" as a biased Hammond endorsee who mindlessly praises anything that has the Hammond name printed on it breaks new ground for this forum.

How about coming clean on the facts that support your comments.

I will publicly retract these comments if you can factually demonstrate the link between "other sounds" and "percussion" and provide indisputable evidence that all positive comments made on this forum about HS products are only made by disclosed or undisclosed Hammond endorsers.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

"the interface was daunting". I agree, pressing and holding a percussion button on the front panel, using the parameter knob to adjust the percussion level, then hitting the up arrow to get to the decay parameters can be daunting. A Motif is so much easier.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I still don't get it.

I have an SK2. Oh and a Gemini rack and an HX3 (I prefer the HX3 for blues gigs). So I have no particular allegiance, and am not an endorsee of anything. My SK2 doesn't trigger extra loudly in the top octave. The percussion sounds like I expect a Hammond to sound. It's just a few button presses and a twirl of a knob to alter the volume. It's a stage keyboard not solely a clonewheel so yes you have menus, but it's no rabbit warren, and the manual is online, so you could have chosen to inform yourself how to tweak it before going to LA. Maybe modern keyboards are just not for you.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

I wasn't necessarily referring to Outkaster as an endorsee. I don't know if he is or isn't.

But there are people who represent Hammond that show up on this forum from time to time. And to them Hammond can do no wrong.

As far as the SK2 percussion, I am just reporting what I heard. Through headphones the percussion tones were fairly loud in the upper octave. It's just one of the things about HS products that baffles me.

And it's something that is completely adjustable with ease. I'm not sure why you are posting this in a Mojo thread to begin with.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

As far as the SK2 percussion, I am just reporting what I heard. Through headphones the percussion tones were fairly loud in the upper octave. It's just one of the things about HS products that baffles me.

I recommend you not buy a Hammond. In fact, I forbid it. Who else has a comment? NEXT!

:roll:

I wasn't necessarily referring to Outkaster as an endorsee. I don't know if he is or isn't.

But there are people who represent Hammond that show up on this forum from time to time. And to them Hammond can do no wrong.

That's BS maybe a few but the crowd that doesn't like Hammond is far larger on this forum.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Perhaps it´s time for a poll:

1. I love Hammond.

2. I hate Hammond.

3. Does anybody really know what time it is?

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"