Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Can we just get a Music Movie/Documentary Megathread?

I like several of the "Classic Albums" documentaries, which interview the musicians and producers on how certain albums were made, but the best "Classic Albums" show I have seen is the one for the Tom Petty "Damn the Torpedoes" albums. I could not find the entire episode on Youtube, although I did see some snippets there. The full episode does a fantastic job at explaining how the songs were made.

The Stevie Wonder SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE and Band "Brown Album" episodes are also generally amazing. Plus you get to see little snatches of Garth Hudson playing some of the later Roland digital/VA synths, and Stevie doing the multitracked intro to "I Wish" on a Kurzweil after his ARP 2600 refuses to behave . . . not to mention seeing him play the "Village Ghettoland" string arrangement in real time on the old Yamaha "Dream Machine."

"Digging in the Carts":

For those who like chip tunes and video game music. Amazing how much they were able to do with such a limited soundset:

Part 1:

[video:youtube]

(there are 5 other parts, links are in the YT side bar. Make sure you have CC on for the Japanese parts)

Thanks for this! They seemed to focus more on the consoles - there were amazing composers for computer games as well, Commodore 64 (and later, Amiga) had some classic tunes...

• 1 month later...
I just received "Jaco" from Amazon which was just released. It's a new documentary about the brilliant bassist Jaco Pastorius and is directed by Metallica's Robert Trujillo. Haven't watched it yet but it's gotten many favorable reviews so far.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

• 3 months later...

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

• 4 months later...

I just heard about this one this week. I've never heard of any of these cats, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Deep City: The Birth of the Miami Sound preview, clips, and full episode

(Sorry, it's probably U.S. only)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 3 months later...

Anyone watch "Soundbreaking" on PBS last night?

Good stuff.

http://soundbreaking.com/

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Good stuff.

I did. It's very cool. I have the DVR set for all new episodes. :thu:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Good stuff.

I did. It's very cool. I have the DVR set for all new episodes. :thu:

Good stuff. Watched the first two episodes last night. Any series that has both George Martin discussing the tape loops on "Tomorrow Never Knows" and Questlove admitting he didn't get Dr.Dre's "The Chronic" for 10 years....is ok-dokey with me.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

My favs (in no particular order)

U2 Rattle and Hum, or U2 Popmart Live from Mexico City - all the U2 concert dvds I have seen are great IMO

The Grateful Dead Movie - also the Grateful Dead Downhill from Here has great performances and cool visuals

The Last Waltz

Festival Express - a movie that includes live concert footage by the Grateful Dead and Janis Joplin, and you get to see Jerry Garcia jamming with a very drunk Rick Danko

Stop Making Sense

I have a dvd of the Eric Clapton/Steve Winwood tour - great performances throughout.

George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic Live at Montreaux 2004 - super funky

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching Leonard Cohen I'm Your Man documentary on late night TV.

Includes concert with an eclectic selection of artists covering Cohen's songs including Anohni, Nick Cave, Rufus Wainwright.

[video:youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bFnZjrqV1Ds

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• 3 weeks later...

AXS TV has a series called Reel to Real that seems to be music documentaries. I've recently seen two. The first was very good and interesting, though didn't really have the closure that I expected.

Ain't in It for My Health: A Film About Levon Helm

One, the description says "Leon Helm" so if you search for it, it might be under that. Second, it was done before Levon passed away, but he was battling health issues at the time, yet still smoking.

The second one was really interesting. Despite being mentioned here and elsewhere, I knew nothing about him until watching this. Note that this is different than "22 Short Films About Glenn Gould." This is more of a "normal" documentary. At least, as normal as you can get about Gould...

Genius Within: The Inner Life of Glenn Gould

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Genesis: Together and Apart (2014)

This was on TV over here last night, watched it with my wife. We both loved it, and we're not even huge Genesis fans.

As a result we've been listening to Genesis all day. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it. For our friends overseas the BBC link probably won't work, so just google the name and you should find something.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Marley - Bob Marley bio

Wattstax

Co-sign on these. There are many more, but these jumped out at me. When music is integral to human struggles and cultural movement, it transcends the music itself and takes on added significance.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Just saw "Chasing Trane" over the weekend. Wonderful film. Which brings me to mind does anyone know if "Play That Teo" was ever released or distributed?

One of my fave rock docs is "Dig!" About the Dandy Warhols and Brian Jonestown Massacre. How one band did things right and the other did everything wrong. Great stuff. Also like "It Could Get Loud" only because I love Jimmy Page's story telling. Plus the scene where he starts to play "Whole Lotta Love" and the ear to ear grins on Jack White's and The Edges" faces is classic.

http://bigfun3.bandcamp.com

www.facebook.com/BigFunThree