Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2865390 - 07/08/17 09:59 AM Re: Do you have a maintenance & repair budget? [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Larryz
<BUMP> OK...it's been 2 1/2 months since my last bump and the jack has just started loosening up again! So, now it's going to be get serious time! I'm not too fond of Epiphone these days LOL! But, otherwise I still love this guitar! I'm going back in with the two wrenches and I'm going to use the blue Locktite this time! If it doesn't work, I'm going to take it to my tech and have him cut it a new hole and install a permanent new jack fitting that will not budge if we have to weld it in LOL! mad crazy cry cool

Get a jackplate & be done with it.

https://reverb.com/p/allparts-jackplate-...mp;hfid=2639801

GP Island
#2865395 - 07/08/17 10:19 AM Re: Do you have a maintenance & repair budget? [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
<BUMP> OK...it's been 2 1/2 months since my last bump and the jack has just started loosening up again! So, now it's going to be get serious time! I'm not too fond of Epiphone these days LOL! But, otherwise I still love this guitar! I'm going back in with the two wrenches and I'm going to use the blue Locktite this time! If it doesn't work, I'm going to take it to my tech and have him cut it a new hole and install a permanent new jack fitting that will not budge if we have to weld it in LOL! mad crazy cry cool

Damn, brother, I would have lost patience long ago! Long-shaft Switchcraft jack, along with the blue Locktite, maybe? There are a few threads online, discussing this issue, which seems pretty common among Epi hollow-body and semi-hollow Guitars. A long-shaft Switchcraft jack seems to be the fix, in many cases; the longer shaft lets you be sure there are enough threads to pass through the Guitar top, and still give you good purchase when you tighten the nut. Good luck!

Switchcraft Mono Jack, long thread, Stew-Mac

Edited by Winston Psmith (07/08/17 12:52 PM)
Edit Reason: more info

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2865454 - 07/08/17 02:21 PM Re: Do you have a maintenance & repair budget? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser

Get a jackplate & be done with it.

https://reverb.com/p/allparts-jackplate-...mp;hfid=2639801

+1 Scott, a jack plate would be an easy fix if you can find one that will fit the body contour. The stock ES-175 jack setups don't use them and just have a washer and a lock washer setup which works on everyone's guitars but mine LOL! The 4 screw LP one might be a little too flat. I'll know when I get my new LP this week and get a chance to check out the bodies! The one I have on my Taylor T3B is an oval one with 2 screws and has more of a bend to it, so it may do the trick. I may order one from Taylor. I'll give the Locktite a try 1st. cool

#2865458 - 07/08/17 02:28 PM Re: Do you have a maintenance & repair budget? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith

Damn, brother, I would have lost patience long ago! Long-shaft Switchcraft jack, along with the blue Locktite, maybe? There are a few threads online, discussing this issue, which seems pretty common among Epi hollow-body and semi-hollow Guitars. A long-shaft Switchcraft jack seems to be the fix, in many cases; the longer shaft lets you be sure there are enough threads to pass through the Guitar top, and still give you good purchase when you tighten the nut. Good luck!

Switchcraft Mono Jack, long thread, Stew-Mac

Thanks Winston, I think the Koreans may have left out the inside lock washer LOL! I'll keep that longer shaft jack in mind. I'll try the Locktite 1st and then go the jack plate route that Scott talked about, and maybe throw in the longer shaft jack too LOL! I have never had this problem with any other guitar...although I do remember my Strats coming loose once in a blue moon. Its and easy fix on a Strat jack plate, so I like the concept. cool

#2866813 - 07/14/17 10:09 AM Re: Do you have a maintenance & repair budget? [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
While I don't have a maintenance &repair budget, as such, whenever I buy a Guitar, new or used, I already have an idea of what it's going to cost me to get it the way I want it, and I figure that into the total cost of the Guitar in question.

New strings are a given, and I keep a drawer full of my favorite string sets, for the different Guitars. All my Electrics get a set of Schaller strap locks, no matter the make or model. After that, it varies, depending on the Guitar and what other features or accessories I want for it. There are a handful of improvements & additions I like to make to my Electric Guitars in particular, and while most of them are affordable enough (strings, strap locks, replacement knobs), it all adds up.*

I do enough of my own work that I don't figure a pro set-up into my cost. Anything that needs adjustment, I can do myself; anything major issue that reveals itself, well, that's why I like to buy my used gear from GC or my FLUMS, whenever I can, so I can return anything that's broken, defective or just plain disappointing. When I do buy something from an individual, it's someone I know and trust.

All that being said, I'd love to put aside a few hundred dollars just for a rainy day, and maybe some fret work down the line.

*For example, I've got around $350 in self-installed replacement parts in each of my Gibson SG's, not counting a HSC for each one.

Edited by Winston Psmith (07/14/17 10:09 AM)

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2866823 - 07/14/17 10:36 AM Re: Do you have a maintenance & repair budget? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I always figure $60 bucks in the price of a guitar for a set up...I have had two Taylors my tech said: "no set up necessary!" most of my guitars require at least one initial setup. I have a couple that need a truss rod adjustment, which I leave to the techs along with my acoustics. The rest I can do myself on the electrics. cool

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose