Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

CEB, here's a link, so you can hear how I used it.

Untouched By Human Hands - The Winston Psmith Project

Nice work, WPS!

It is surprisingly subtle in the mix.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Nice work, WPS!

You'd laugh if you'd seen the signal chain I assembled to get that particular sound. First thing, I tied a scarf around the guitar neck at the first fret, to act as a string damper; open strings are not your friends with this box. Next, I ran it into a simple Splitter box, to send the signal out to two different MFX processors.

(If you're using either Random 1 or 2, the MIKU Stomp won't repeat the same words/syllables you just played, as it's randomizing selections from among hundreds of mono-syllabic Japanese words. You can use one of the 'Ohh', 'Ahh', 'Lahh'-type sounds for consistency, but they're much less interesting. To get all three 'voices' to sing the same thing at the same time, I had to split the signal into multiple voices all 'singing' in chorus.)

One processor was set up for a Stereo De-tune, +/- a few Cents either way, to fill out the sound, the other for a Mono Echo, with an Attack Delay added, to give it a little depth, while taking out some of the initial attack on the notes. After that, I had both Processors going into a small sub-mixer, where I could work out the balance, then out to my digital recorder. Counter-intuitive as it may seem, all that processing helped to 'smooth out' the sound, and make it somewhat less artificial?!?!? Hey, it's what I do . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Nice work, WPS!

You'd laugh if you'd seen the signal chain I assembled to get that particular sound. First thing, I tied a scarf around the guitar neck at the first fret, to act as a string damper; open strings are not your friends with this box. Next, I ran it into a simple Splitter box, to send the signal out to two different MFX processors.

(If you're using either Random 1 or 2, the MIKU Stomp won't repeat the same words/syllables you just played, as it's randomizing selections from among hundreds of mono-syllabic Japanese words. You can use one of the 'Ohh', 'Ahh', 'Lahh'-type sounds for consistency, but they're much less interesting. To get all three 'voices' to sing the same thing at the same time, I had to split the signal into multiple voices all 'singing' in chorus.)

One processor was set up for a Stereo De-tune, +/- a few Cents either way, to fill out the sound, the other for a Mono Echo, with an Attack Delay added, to give it a little depth, while taking out some of the initial attack on the notes. After that, I had both Processors going into a small sub-mixer, where I could work out the balance, then out to my digital recorder. Counter-intuitive as it may seem, all that processing helped to 'smooth out' the sound, and make it somewhat less artificial?!?!? Hey, it's what I do . . .

:cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Talking about this fuzz box at the Tele forum. You may have already discussed it. I think it sounds nasty but the vid is funny.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

New Version of the Pinnacle Deluxe.

Cool. A previous version is my high gain pedal. My main rock guitar has a Duncan Custom 5 with a coil split in the bridge and a Duncan P90 in the neck. My issue is the ideal clean pickup height creates a bunch sag with the humbucker when the pedal is active. It sags really badly and I needed to really lower the bridge pickup.

The real question is do I spend $240 just for the sag switch?

A version of the Faux Tape echo..... They are good delays. So is the Strymon so are Eventides and a bunch of other things. I doubt I buy this. Heck I'm still using my $50 Ibanez DE7 on my guitar board. I might pick up a used Boss with tap tempo one of these days.

^ love that delay. :)

In case anyone's as curious about the guitar in this video as me, I asked the guy at MOD what it was; he says Giannini made it, and the model is an AE-08s.

I'm sorry if this has been answered in this megathread, but has anyone tried the 9 series from EHX? The videos of the B9, C9, and M9 are incredible, but I'm wondering if there are some real life experiences anyone could share.

"For instance" is not proof.

I don't have any of them as I like guitars that sound like guitars LOL! But I remember the demos and discussions posted on this thread for the B9 C9 and M9 and they sure looked great! Hopefully Winston and Danny will tell us more on how they like them? :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I'm sorry if this has been answered in this megathread, but has anyone tried the 9 series from EHX? The videos of the B9, C9, and M9 are incredible, but I'm wondering if there are some real life experiences anyone could share.

They're a LOT of fun! I have the B9. I have tried most of them, and would love to have them all.

Running the B9 through my Boss RT-20 Leslie-sim pedal or my Strymon Flint Tremolo/Reverb makes it sound much more convincing than the B9's on-board modulation effects. But the B9's modulation effects are alright and certainly fun.

And while your mileage may vary, the B9 sounds too bright through my guitar-amp on settings that sound 'right' for my normal guitar (a Les Paul).

I have a B9. The tracking is very impressive. All the artifacts I used to get with any number of analog octave dividers or digital harmonizers are just gone. I'm not doing any Jimmie Smith-esque Hammond riffing, just making pads into a looper, but it does it very well. Only a few of the 9 presets seem worthwhile to me, but those that are, are very worthwhile. Thumbs up so far.

Scott Fraser

I have the Mel9, and like it very much. I've used it in some of my recordings already, although it might not stand out in the mix. I never picked up on the other three, as my mass of Synths cover all the Organ/Piano/EP sounds I might ever need.

The tracking is quite good, although I like dialing back the Attack knob, so the sound 'swells' when you play a chord. There's a built-in Vibrato effect on most of the sounds, which you can't dial out, although a detailed review in Electronic Musician said that part of what we're hearing is related to the sample looping? In either case, it's there.

Favorite sounds are Orchestra, Strings, Clarinet & Brass. I can get much more interesting Choir sounds out of my Synths, and IMHO, the Saxophone sound is just awful.

I mentioned this in a previous post regarding the Mel9, but bear in mind that the original Mellotron had a distinctive, slightly grainy tone, when playing back the tape loops that provided the sound banks; I suspect part of that sound was the playback mechanism itself. The Mel9 reproduces that tone, very well. Listen to the opening of Genesis' Watcher Of The Skies, or the opening of King Crimson's Court Of The Crimson King, for some good examples. EHX included both of those tunes in their demo video, and the results are pretty convincing. If you've ever wanted the sounds of the Mellotron, it's well worth the $200+/-.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

A friend is using a B9 to add an additional voice in some of the their material. He and his twin brother have a kickass Rockabilly 3 piece called Iron Horse. The first time I heard it I asked Aaron if he was running tracks and told I thought I was hearing Hammond parts. He showed me his pedal board. He routed the B9 to a separate amp. He used a combo guitar amp for the B9. It sounds good through a guitar amp. Hammond emulations don't need high fidelity. But it worked better going through a separate amp with separate volume and EQ control.

Some of you may have seen Iron Horse on TV. Great trio if you like Rockabilly.

A friend is using a B9 to add an additional voice in some of the their material. He and his twin brother have a kickass Rockabilly 3 piece called Iron Horse. The first time I heard it I asked Aaron if he was running tracks and told I thought I was hearing Hammond parts. He showed me his pedal board. He routed the B9 to a separate amp. He used a combo guitar amp for the B9. It sounds good through a guitar amp. Hammond emulations don't need high fidelity. But it worked better going through a separate amp with separate volume and EQ control.

Some of you may have seen Iron Horse on TV. Great trio if you like Rockabilly.

Been thinking about doing EXACLY that kind of thing. Good to hear how well it works!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

• 2 weeks later...
Strymon has a new power supply; North American customers can get one of a limited run now at Strymon's online store while they last. Full production models coming soon to everywhere.

df9a72eb-e0c0-4af9-8bf6-d95e6ce188c4.jpg

Love the major power output, but will it mount underneath my Pedaltrain boards, like the Voodoo Lab PP2+ does?

Ah, just checked the site, and they say they'll have a mounting bracket available soon. Excellent . . .

I like the expandable/modular aspect of the Zuma and Ojai; nice... :cool:

Love the major power output, but will it mount underneath my Pedaltrain boards, like the Voodoo Lab PP2+ does?

Ah, just checked the site, and they say they'll have a mounting bracket available soon. Excellent . . .

Yhup:

...we've designed a Pedaltrain mounting bracket that should be available within the next few weeks. It will work with the newer Pedaltrains. We'll announce when it's ready via our email newsletter: http://strymon.net/signup .

Also, since Zuma is lightweight, Dual Lock can be a great way to mount to the bottom of your board. We have a few mounted that way here without any concerns.

I like the expandable/modular aspect of the Zuma and Ojai; nice... :cool:

Yhup:

...we've designed a Pedaltrain mounting bracket that should be available within the next few weeks. It will work with the newer Pedaltrains. We'll announce when it's ready via our email newsletter: http://strymon.net/signup .

Also, since Zuma is lightweight, Dual Lock can be a great way to mount to the bottom of your board. We have a few mounted that way here without any concerns.

@Caevan - I'll wait and see how much it is, but that 500mA output is very impressive. Now, if only it had an AC out for old Whammy pedals, and a few other oddballs, like my Digitech Space Station.

Caevan - I'll wait and see how much it is, but that 500mA output is very impressive.

Note that the 12vDC output is good for 375ma, and the 18vDC is good for 250ma.

Now, if only it had an AC out for old Whammy pedals, and a few other oddballs, like my Digitech Space Station.

I know exactly what you mean regarding various voltages both DC and AC...

I have been a fan of the Visual Sound H2O Chorus/Echo V2 since I bought it. A little while ago, Visual Sound renamed themselves TrueTone, and started releasing new versions of some of their pedals. Among them was the H2O V3. It has improved on the V2 in many ways, and included a bunch of nifty new features...so I bought one.

I have been a fan of the Visual Sound H2O Chorus/Echo V2 since I bought it. A little while ago, Visual Sound renamed themselves TrueTone, and started releasing new versions of some of their pedals. Among them was the H2O V3. It has improved on the V2 in many ways, and included a bunch of nifty new features...so I bought one.

Niiiiiice. :cool: Looks- sounds- good and impressively versatile, and coming from someone who often detests chorus effects, that should say somethin'...

Niiiiiice. :cool: Looks- sounds- good and impressively versatile, and coming from someone who often detests chorus effects, that should say somethin'...

I generally prefer Chorus effects that create that "pitch-bending" sound, like the H2O, and this one has it. Just wish the Delay Time was longer? 500ms just doesn't do it for me.

On a separate note, Bob Weil is one of the good guys in the industry. I bought one of the first 1 Spots, back when they had the skinny power cord and only 500mA output; it failed on me, and I returned it to my FLMS. For some reason, I felt compelled to write to Bob Weil about it, maybe because he was just starting out, and I really liked the idea behind the product. He sent me a new one, free of charge, just for my troubles. I now have a drawer packed with 1 Spots, and adapter cables for them, because I could see that the man stood behind his product. Respect . . .

Big fan of the company's products, for sure. Like you, I have s verbal One Spots. I've also got a couple of Visual Sound pedals, and plan on ga thing their TrueTone descendants. PLUS at least one of his power supplies.