Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2807708 - 10/04/16 11:12 PM I'm in New York next week!
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Belgium
Hi gang,

Yep, Eddie's going to take a bite out of the Big Apple! I will be heading for NY this Sunday and will no doubt get to experience that jet lag feeling ...

It's a work visit (provide training to my US counterparts) so I will be leaving again Thursday morning already but I hope to have some time for fun and games! Who has a gig in NY on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday?

Everyone's giving me a hard time cos I wanna find a comic book store instead of doing the tourist things grin Hey, I like comics! But if you had 3 evenings to spend in NY, what would be the good places to visit?

PM me for contact details, if anyone feels so inclined. Absolutely no promises for a meet-up cos it's a work visit and I will be travelling with a colleague from the Netherlands. But I do promise I will try thu

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

BP Island
#2807718 - 10/05/16 05:51 AM Re: I'm in New York next week! [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Connecticut
Well, if you want comics books, here's my son's favorite midtown hangout: http://www.midtowncomics.com/

#2807741 - 10/05/16 08:04 AM Re: I'm in New York next week! [Re: jcadmus]
jeremy c Offline
10k Club

Loc: Berkeley,CA,UNITED STATES
Well, I'm a jazz fan so for me a visit to the 55 Bar (in Greenwich Village) is a must.

#2808243 - 10/08/16 05:39 AM Re: I'm in New York next week! [Re: jeremy c]
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Oh, and make sure you go to Ray's Pizza.

#2808797 - 10/12/16 11:00 AM Re: I'm in New York next week! [Re: jeremy c]
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: jeremy c
Well, I'm a jazz fan so for me a visit to the 55 Bar (in Greenwich Village) is a must.

Right so yesterday I was walking along East 55th street, looking for a jazz bar ... Did I remember this incorrectly! I wanted to visit Greenwich Village but today is my last day and I will not have time for much sightseeing after work.

I did find the comic book store, though! And saw Times Square, the Flatiron Building and Central Park by night smile I will definitely come back in my personal time to do a proper city trip. But as far as first introductions go, this one was very nice.

#2808812 - 10/12/16 12:38 PM Re: I'm in New York next week! [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
jeremy c Offline
10k Club

Loc: Berkeley,CA,UNITED STATES
The 55 Bar is not on 55th st. It's at 55 Christopher St. In Greenwich Village.

#2808914 - 10/13/16 05:21 AM Re: I'm in New York next week! [Re: jeremy c]
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: jeremy c
The 55 Bar is not on 55th st. It's at 55 Christopher St. In Greenwich Village.

Yeah I don't have a smartphone so I have to rely on memory after work hours - unfortunately mine is faulty smile

I did find a Guitar Center. Much like I read on TB, there was a lot of endless noodling going on. Few guys with nice licks, too. Some really nice-looking basses but obviously I wasn't going to walk out with a bass.

I did walk out with two John Liebman books (Funk Bass and Bass Aerobics). Could've got those in Belgium too but where's the fun in that, right?

Like I said, I really like the city and hope to be back again (perhaps next year) for a personal visit. Then I will make sure to go to Greenwich Village - I wanted to go find the Sanctum Sanctorum on this trip, so I will do that next time ;-)

(and yes, I know it's not a real place)

#2809117 - 10/14/16 05:41 AM Re: I'm in New York next week! [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Y'all come back now. Ya hear?