Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2805276 - 09/20/16 05:33 AM Soma Lyra synthesizer/whale charmer
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
Looks like this lot have just beaten Elektron in the "weirdest product demo" stakes:

Klonk for video
There's an 8 voice version for 500 (the 4 voice shown is 350) and the website mentions a half price kit version coming in a few months time.

It sounds utterly mad, it looks gorgeous and I have no idea what I'd use it for. But I want one!

Edited by MorayM (09/20/16 05:34 AM)
Edit Reason: Added link as video seems broken again

KC Island
#2805293 - 09/20/16 06:35 AM Re: Soma Lyra synthesizer/whale charmer [Re: MorayM]
smanzella Offline

Loc: New Orleans, Louisiana
I have an old black and white TV that can make most of those noises. I'll sell it to you real cheap!

Scott

#2805295 - 09/20/16 06:48 AM Re: Soma Lyra synthesizer/whale charmer [Re: smanzella]
EscapeRocks Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: smanzella
I have an old black and white TV that can make most of those noises. I'll sell it to you real cheap!

hahahahahahha twothumbs

dammit.... soda on the laptop...

If you need these sounds, I can record a HAM radio tuning session for you. wink

#2805298 - 09/20/16 06:55 AM Re: Soma Lyra synthesizer/whale charmer [Re: EscapeRocks]
iluvchiclets Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I think that sounds fantastic! The whole video makes me feel like they're playing a joke on me though, so I don't know if it's a real synthesizer or not?

The fact it does not play "tonal" sounds is what interest me most. I have lots of keyboards that play musical notes, but this looks like an awesome drone/landscape generator.

#2805308 - 09/20/16 07:32 AM Re: Soma Lyra synthesizer/whale charmer [Re: MorayM]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

#2805309 - 09/20/16 07:32 AM Re: Soma Lyra synthesizer/whale charmer [Re: smanzella]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: smanzella

roll

Originally Posted By: iluvchiclets
The fact it does not play "tonal" sounds is what interest me most. I have lots of keyboards that play musical notes, but this looks like an awesome drone/landscape generator.

Me too. I'm too wedded to melody to use it on its own but it would be a fantastic mood setter for more ambient pieces. I'd love to make it from a kit, if I can wait that long.

#2805317 - 09/20/16 08:35 AM Re: Soma Lyra synthesizer/whale charmer [Re: MorayM]
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Washington DC
I signed up for the waitlist, as mentioned in the other thread a couple of weeks ago.

#2805319 - 09/20/16 08:37 AM Re: Soma Lyra synthesizer/whale charmer [Re: GovernorSilver]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: GovernorSilver
I signed up for the waitlist, as mentioned in the other thread a couple of weeks ago.

Cool, I completely missed that thread! Hope you have fun whenever it arrives smile

#2805344 - 09/20/16 10:10 AM Re: Soma Lyra synthesizer/whale charmer [Re: MorayM]
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, it's the "cool new synths" thread that, I think, hurricane hugo started and bumps every couple of months or so.

I occasionally help out a friend with her music and she's always asking for sounds like that.

#2805348 - 09/20/16 10:31 AM Re: Soma Lyra synthesizer/whale charmer [Re: GovernorSilver]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Sounds like physical modelling of a pipe and the exciter piece can be set to overblow.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2805361 - 09/20/16 11:20 AM Re: Soma Lyra synthesizer/whale charmer [Re: mate stubb]
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I love how Vlad has whales on his hands for the Lyra-4 demo.

I neglected to mention it's the Lyra-8 for which I signed up. More info on both synths here, including links to PDF manuals and the Youtube channel:

https://somasynths.com/

Quote:
In many aspects, LYRA-8 is a double version of LYRA-4. This applies to the voices (LYRA-4 has four, while LYRA-8 has eight of them), as well as to the delay LYRA-8 has two delay lines, instead of one.

In addition to doubled polyphony, LYRA-8 has a lot more FM modulation and synthesis algorithms available, as each voice in LYRA serves as an FM operator and LYRA-8 has more of them.

Doubled delay with an unusual structure, cross feedback and mutual modulation creates the unique sound of LYRA-8. Delay is basically the main difference. While LYRA-4 has a more traditional sound, LYRA-8s sound has more of an alien origin

Demo of the Lyra-8 as an FX unit:

#2855943 - 05/18/17 05:46 AM Re: Soma Lyra synthesizer/whale charmer [Re: GovernorSilver]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Ordered the Lyra-8 kit today, 131! It'll probably take a while to get here and even longer for me to build it but I don't care, it'll be a cool thing to have. Just got to decide what sort of box to put it in now...

How are you getting on with yours, GS?

#2855997 - 05/18/17 12:24 PM Re: Soma Lyra synthesizer/whale charmer [Re: MorayM]
marino Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
Originally Posted By: MorayM
Ordered the Lyra-8 kit today, 131! It'll probably take a while to get here and even longer for me to build it but I don't care, it'll be a cool thing to have. Just got to decide what sort of box to put it in now...

Where did you find the Lyra-8 for 131 Euros? I'm interested.

#2855999 - 05/18/17 12:31 PM Re: Soma Lyra synthesizer/whale charmer [Re: marino]
marino Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
Originally Posted By: marino

Ok, I have visited the site - I didn't know it was available in kit form.

#2856103 - 05/19/17 06:32 AM Re: Soma Lyra synthesizer/whale charmer [Re: marino]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Ok, I have visited the site - I didn't know it was available in kit form.

Yeah, it was only just announced. It's only the PCBs and a couple of the rare chips, going to have to find the rest of the bits and a suitable box. Should be a fun project though, and an excuse to get my scope set up again.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner