Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#2822767 - 12/21/16 03:19 PM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: ProfD]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Hey D'
chew on some TUMS.
It will pass. laugh

KC Island
#2822769 - 12/21/16 03:24 PM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: davedoerfler]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
Hey D'
chew on some TUMS.
It will pass. laugh

Yeah Dave, I'm hoping it will be that simple. grin cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2826631 - 01/08/17 10:03 AM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: ProfD]
Moonglow Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
I'm looking forward to trying out this synth. Regarding the plug-outs, I've always considered the Juno-106 to be a "poor man's" Jupiter-8. Given an on-board Jupiter, I'm wondering how much I would use the the Juno. What Juno-106 patch couldn't be accomplished, and even improved upon, with a Jupiter-8?

#2826684 - 01/08/17 03:31 PM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: Moonglow]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Moonglow
I'm looking forward to trying out this synth. Regarding the plug-outs, I've always considered the Juno-106 to be a "poor man's" Jupiter-8. Given an on-board Jupiter, I'm wondering how much I would use the the Juno. What Juno-106 patch couldn't be accomplished, and even improved upon, with a Jupiter-8?

The plug-out allows the System 8 to replicate the nuances of that particular synth i.e. Juno 106 or Jupiter 8. Otherwise, it should be possible to program a similar patch using either plug-out including the native System 8.

The System 8 is the front-runner in satisfying my poly synth needs. cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2826786 - 01/09/17 02:29 AM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: Mark Schmieder]
marczellm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
What I noticed instead is that the System-8 is ACB based, which someone did specify in the first post, but I forgot that System-1 was AIRA based.

So now I'm thoroughly confused, as System-8 will ship with ACB PLUG-OUTS, but the old PLUG-OUTS will be modified to work with System-8.

https://www.roland.com/global/products/system-8/

So does this mean that ACB actually derives from AIRA and is a newer generation? I thought we had found out earlier that they are two different development teams at Roland, with little (if any) crossover even though much of the intent is the same?

ACB is the technology on which both the AIRA and the Boutique product lines are built, as well as the System-8.
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G

#2826798 - 01/09/17 05:03 AM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: marczellm]
RABid Offline
10k Club

I thought the boutique line had a lower audio processing rate than the AIRA?

#2826872 - 01/09/17 10:17 AM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: RABid]
CEB Offline
10k Club

FYI

FWIW

EIEIO

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2827458 - 01/11/17 07:51 PM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: CEB]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks to marczellm; I had sort of reached the same conclusion based on a few posts I saw elsewhere, but it did seem to run contrary to statements on this forum a year or so ago about them being different development teams with no cross-pollination.

It's been a week since I've checked, but it looks like the new plug-outs aren't available as VST/AU plug-ins yet, and Roland said something to the effect that it's hard to do and takes them awhile with each new plug-out but that it is a goal for each one.

#2832600 - 02/01/17 07:54 AM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: Mark Schmieder]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Under the hood.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2832603 - 02/01/17 08:06 AM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: CEB]
#%$(# Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Orlando, Florida
I got to demo a System-8. Very nice instrument but I think I'm going to hold out for the Rev 2. $500 more gets true analog, 8 more voices, and 5 octave keyboard.

#2832606 - 02/01/17 08:15 AM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: #%$(#]
U.Honey Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Originally Posted By: DulceLabs.com
I got to demo a System-8. Very nice instrument but I think I'm going to hold out for the Rev 2. $500 more gets true analog, 8 more voices, and 5 octave keyboard.

So that's 16 voice analog synth with 5 octaves for $2000? When is it going to be available?

EDIT: I see, you're talking about DSI Rev 2. I thought there's going to be another synth by Roland.

Edited by U.Honey (02/01/17 08:20 AM)

#2832608 - 02/01/17 08:27 AM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: U.Honey]
#%$(# Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Originally Posted By: U.Honey
Originally Posted By: DulceLabs.com

So that's 16 voice analog synth with 5 octaves for $2000? When is it going to be available?

EDIT: I see, you're talking about DSI Rev 2. I thought there's going to be another synth by Roland.

Sorry I wasn't clear. Yes it's a Dave Smith. No word on ship date. BTW - You can also get an 8-voice model of the Rev 2 for $1,500. The synth war is really heating up and we are reaping the spoils! like

#2832678 - 02/01/17 01:02 PM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: #%$(#]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Roland System 8 inspired me to consider a poly synth. I still think it sounds very good. But, I'm glad I didn't buy one.

IMO, the Behringer DeepMind 12 crushes the System 8 across the board (no pun intended). Of course, the jury is still out on Behringer product reliability.

I believe Roland and every other manufacturer will have to drop their poly synth prices in order to compete.

Again, I'm not saying the Behringer DeepMind 12 is a game-changer but it is definitely going to sell a lot of units. cool

#2849402 - 04/14/17 09:38 AM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: ProfD]
Lula Nord Offline

Hi...i was watching a comparison video of the Jupiter 8/ JP08 that Nickndis and they sounded strikingly similar. No two Jupiters sound alike I bet in a blind test a lot of people might have mixed them up or thought they were both analog. Personally I think Roland's current crop of synths are really hideous and I wouldn't want one for myself. But I do give them kudos for the plug out concept and how far their modeling has come. I'm sure a lot of people, myself included are asking, "why won't Roland in the midst of the analog revival give us analog? The timing couldn't be better!" I'm sure they're aware of that, maybe they believe in what they're doing and maybe they want to push through those barriers and show a digital can sound just as good as an analog.

#2849433 - 04/14/17 11:17 AM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: Lula Nord]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Turns out I will be buying a System 8 in the very near future. wink cool

#2849472 - 04/14/17 02:23 PM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: ProfD]
whannah Offline

Loc: Livermore, CA
Originally Posted By: ProfD

What made you change your mind?

#2849510 - 04/14/17 05:30 PM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: ProfD]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Roland System 8 inspired me to consider a poly synth. I still think it sounds very good. But, I'm glad I didn't buy one.

Well, my KC brethren, I tried to make it work. But, my gamble and loss is your gain.

I'm selling a mint condition (less than 2 month) old Roland JD-XA synth. It does not have the audio crackling issue.

inquiring minds want to know. wave

#2849595 - 04/15/17 06:11 AM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: ProfD]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE

I thought you already bought one!
www.echoesrocks.com

#2849643 - 04/15/17 09:21 AM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: DanL]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, I made a KB geek, er, technical decision in buying the Roland JD-XA thinking that as an analog/digital hybrid it could be a System 8 on steroids. laugh

The JD-XA is a fine synth and covers a lot of ground. Yet, no amount of programming yields the FTEC and sonic gratification I expect to hear. It gets close but not quite.

OTOH, the System 8 has it. Starting a sound from scratch using the native synth engine, in a matter of seconds, I've got a funky phat playable sound. That sub-osc makes a huge difference too.

The Behringer DeepMind 12 (DM12) has more going for it than the System 8 especially with the onboard FX engine. IMO, the DM12 is hampered by lacking split/layer capability. I'm not too fond of the overhanging keys either.

While I still think the DM12 sounds better, I can live with the compromises of the System 8 because programming it provides instant gratification sonically and it is a blast to play.cool

#2854248 - 05/08/17 11:24 AM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: ProfD]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well my KC brethren, I picked up the Roland System 8 this past Friday. grin

Again, the FTEC doesn't lie. The JD-XA is a fine synth in its own right. But, the System 8 is definitely the synth I should have bought in the first place.

After swapping out the Moog Sub 37 and Yamaha DX7IID in an effort to consolidate synths, I truly feel that with the SV-1/System 8 combo, my KB rig is great again.thulaughcool

#2854305 - 05/08/17 04:08 PM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: ProfD]
Karl Schmeer Offline

Loc: State of Misery
Congrats!!

In the System 8 manual when it talks of editing a tone, it says something like " adjust a knob on the front panel " that's it! There is no
menu diving. Outstanding!!

I have been considering these two synths for awhile also" Sys 8 Vs JD-XA". To my ears the Utube videos for the System 8 sound better than the JD-XA. I keep thinking I should go with the latest tech as it "should" have better/faster audio converters in it.
Enjoy !

#2854317 - 05/08/17 04:49 PM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: Karl Schmeer]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The System 8 is a great sounding, performance-oriented VA. It is easy to program sounds and set up splits and layers.

No menu diving. Data wheel comes in handy too. Very user-friendly synth.

Looks cool too. I'm just trying to decide between the aluminum or wood end pieces. grin cool

#2854325 - 05/08/17 05:20 PM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: ProfD]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Well my KC brethren, I picked up the Roland System 8 this past Friday. grin

Nice Prof! Nothing like knowing what you want and taking a detour or 2 on the way to getting it. Congrats twothumbs

#2854329 - 05/08/17 05:35 PM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: ProfD]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
Hey D'
chew on some TUMS.
It will pass. laugh

Yeah Dave, I'm hoping it will be that simple. grin cool

Guess not. Good for you, D' keys

#2854386 - 05/09/17 07:39 AM Re: Roland System-8 [Re: davedoerfler]
Franz Schiller Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I feel that the JD-XA vs the System 8 is a little apples vs oranges. The JD-XA is certainly a lot more complex, and has lots of quirks and strange stuff going on. And while it has an analog side, it feels more modern and or futuristic.

I was in the same boat as a lot of you guys, considering one or the other. And frankly, the only reason I ended up picking up the JD-XA was because I already had a JP-08 and JU-06, so really I felt getting a System 8 would be duplicative.

And I was right, the JD-XA does not really sound like those. It can sound warm, and it is analog at times, and it has a nice hi fi character, which is a nice contrast for the Jupiter and Juno models.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner