Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

1) Yes

2) No

;-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Hey Folks...

I've been reading this thread for a while, hope this isn't a dumb question...

How does the sound of the HX3 module stack up to the Hammond XK1C?

I currently own the Hammond and was wondering what the advantages are with this module over the XK1C.

It's really tough to find good demos of the module, even with googling it...

Since I've been considering upgrading the organ's leslie sim (which would not be so cheap to do anyway, since I would want to upgrade the leslie and the overdrive), I was wondering if the "sim" in the HX3 has a great overdrive sound (my primary complaint about the XK1C). If I could hear some really good demos of the module, that would go a long way for me. Thanks in advance!

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Demos ?

-> Youtube -> Uhl Instruments X3 (HX3 inside)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

yes, these organs are build around the HX-Board....

Thanks again mate stubb for the advice on Recapped or 1955, 1961, 1972.

I switch over, via MIDI, to 55 from Recapped (Clean)

The upper registers on 55 are perfect for heavy overdrive.

I use some really top shelf Distortion/Overdrive modules and the high end coming from HX-3 was too hot for heavy OD.

Now instead of adding Filters in post DSP FX I stick with only drive modules and 150 on the Tube Amp of HX-3.

Gnarly accurate stuff....

image.jpgfree image hosting

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Has anybody figured a way to control the HX-3 lower manual from a Nord C1 which sends lower manual from Midi CH 2?

Thanks,

Mr. Anxiety

Not possible.

From the WIKI:

MIDI Custom CC

FW #3.6x and up provide a "custom MIDI CC" set which may be altered to your needs by using HX3 Remote application. By factory default, it is set to accept Nord C2 MIDI data (also compatible with Ocean Beach DB-1 controller). See wiki page HX3_Remote_Application#Editing_MIDI_Custom_CCs how to create a custom CC set and store it to HX3. Please note that currently the custom MIDI CC set only accepts controller commands on upper manual MIDI channel (1 on factory default).

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought a used 2101 MkII.

Not that the HX3 rotary emu isn't good it's just I lost too many transients adding digital Tube OD.

Paid 750 since it was beat up but sounded fine.

HX3 Tube OD sounds good until I go over 120/250.

Leslie sounds good at less than half of it's OD.

HX3 is kind of like an 122 AMA pre to a solid state Leslie.

I'm using a little OD from each unit and use an AKG C414 brass cap on the rotor.

All goes into my XITE-1 where I use a TC Fireworx.

SSv3 gets the signals QSC KW Series PA is FOH.

This sounds like any old Hammond I want now.

I kept looking for a reason to get a Hammond XK and HL21 but my investment of 2100 USD being a 2101 MKII, HX3 and SSv3 is tough to beat.

No need for a firmware update.

I like things the way there are.

my investment of 2100 USD being a 2101 MKII, HX3 and SSv3 is tough to beat.

No need for a firmware update.

I like things the way there are.

Heywood you are always on the bleeding edge. I owned a 2101 quite some time ago (sold it long ago), heard the MK II is much improved. Another variation of the SS3 plus another speaker. You should cross post on the CPS SS3 thread, more people will read about it there.

:nopity:

Im getting a 2nd SSv3 so maybe I should.

FWIW The C414 seemed to work but last night I tried the 90 degree horn micing using a pair of BETA 98 H/Cs.

Run those into a Rolls Pro Mix box (9 volt 4 in 2 out XLR) with the Low rotor out and mix all 3 into stereo.

Really good for the phase quality of the horn.

The 98s are made for brass winds and high SPL percussion.

Designed to clamp onto a reed or brass bell theyre perfectly suited for wind and the clamps a bonus.

Not a fan of the stock 3300, just want to get as close to the 122/147 I was spoiled by.

Cheerz

• 1 month later...

unfortunately....

no way to update my USB expander....

I used the last HX3 flash update software, it recognize the expander, the correct licence numbers, the correct user, the correct FW (3.83), everything is fine.

but when I click on "upade" it find dozens of errors and the process can't be finalized.

now the flash software do not recognize the expander, no licence number, no user, everything is lost.

really tired with the upgrade method (with the first - no usb - HX3 expander was the same, I had to send back to manufacturer in order to fix it). I thought the USB version solved these problems....

I am quite expert with pc upgrade with many other devices, never had a problem in the last 15 years.

but the HX3 is really discouraging.

so I'll have to wait an unknown number of months in order to contact the manufacturer, send the expander and wait for repair....

really disappointed, one of the best sounding organ clone ever, but awful upgrade process....

I loaded 4.1. It's a big improvement!! The HX3 engine is a major contender.
According to the KeyboardPartner changelog for firmware version 4.1, a lot of attention has been paid to vibrato/chorus. Is that the big improvement you're hearing, Mitch?

Dennis

Dennis

"..I am quite expert with pc upgrade with many other devices, never had a problem in the last 15 years but the HX3 is really discouraging.."
This is the reason I went with the Gemini module rather than HX3. I just upgraded from version 1.14 to version 1.15. Put the update on a USB stick, hit update and in less than three seconds the process was done.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

unfortunately....

I used the last HX3 flash update software, it recognize the expander, the correct licence numbers, the correct user, the correct FW (3.83), everything is fine.

but when I click on "upade" it find dozens of errors and the process can't be finalized.

now the flash software do not recognize the expander, no licence number, no user, everything is lost.

really tired with the upgrade method (with the first - no usb - HX3 expander was the same, I had to send back to manufacturer in order to fix it). I thought the USB version solved these problems....

I am quite expert with pc upgrade with many other devices, never had a problem in the last 15 years.

so I'll have to wait an unknown number of months in order to contact the manufacturer, send the expander and wait for repair....

really disappointed, one of the best sounding organ clone ever, but awful upgrade process....

Marco,

do you have a MK2 board inside? I think so....

The BETA (use on YOUR OWN risk!!!) is MK3/4 board ONLY!!!

As always: be careful with betas !!!!

I loaded 4.1. It's a big improvement!! The HX3 engine is a major contender.
According to the KeyboardPartner changelog for firmware version 4.1, a lot of attention has been paid to vibrato/chorus. Is that the big improvement you're hearing, Mitch?

Dennis

Yes, that's exactly it. The CV is much improved. That was one thing that I wasn't happy about the first time I owned an HX3. (I just bought another one used.) I decided that I should have one because they are always making improvements. You never know when they might hit the perfect spot! They have definitely taken a step towards that with this update. I've always felt the clone with the best CV was the Mojo (and I still do) but this update brings the HX3 into the discussion for sure.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

unfortunately....

Marco,

do you have a MK2 board inside? I think so....

The BETA (use on YOUR OWN risk!!!) is MK3/4 board ONLY!!!

As always: be careful with betas !!!!

thanks Mitch :like:

no, it was not the beta, it was the 3.9...

in any case I have the mk3 board.

PS so my board will not support future upgrades?

as the previous boards are not supporting the last one?

so in order to have future sound improvements you have to change all the board?