Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT Bikes

Does somebody want to explain the allure of bikes with no coaster mechanism? I know a couple of bike fanatics who ride these things and crash them regularly trying to avoid pedestrians and stop at the bottom of hills.

Do you mean fixed-gear bikes?

Yes.

Ok. I have no use for them myself, but found this article a fun read:

http://www.outsideonline.com/1929501/why-i-dont-ride-fixie

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been riding a Gary Fisher Big Sur I bought in 1997 all over Vegas, Utah, Colorado & now Tennessee. Last year on a biz trip to Vegas I rented a Santa Cruz Tall Boy - WOW! I had no idea how much bikes had changed in almost 20 years. New GAS for sure.

One of my favorite riders in one of my favorite videos;

Yamaha P22 Upright / Nord Stage 2 SW73

Wow, tons more advice... thanks, guys!

I'm not really in the mountain bike camp as I don't see myself using it to its full potentialI'm pretty tame. Yeah, go figure this Coloradoan doesn't get up into the mountains as much as I'd like, and while I'm at it gotta say I've only been skiing a couple times in my lifetime. Yeah, I'm that guy.

I'm thinking 90% road and 10% mountain in the way of the hybrid I'm after. Or at least just enough mountain to tackle when the concrete city trails/pavement turn to dirt or I need to take a shortcut across some rougher terrain.

Instead of REI, you may want to check out Performance Bicycle, they have a wide range of choices, are located everywhere, and are a dedicated bike shop. Worth looking at...though even better would be your LBS (Local Bike Shop).

Hey now, this looks promising... and less than a minute or two away from my local REI. I'd saw them when I was looking, but didn't get much further than their location-specific website. I pretty much chalked them up to being to high-end and expensive for me. Definitely the upper-bounds of my somewhat cheap price range, but I've read good things about the Diamondback models here. I AM an REI member, so that's worth checking out too.

Marzzz, but what do you mean when you say my local bike shop would be event better? Better in what way?

Does somebody want to explain the allure of bikes with no coaster mechanism? I know a couple of bike fanatics who ride these things and crash them regularly trying to avoid pedestrians and stop at the bottom of hills.

Fixies. I don't get 'em. Worst, stupidest kind of bike ever. Period. Had one when I was kid and my older brother by 10 years dared me to race him. Hopeless.

One of my favorite riders in one of my favorite videos;

Wow. I thought his best trick was balancing and switching on the railroad tracks, then he topped that by riding a cable no wider than his tires... a freaking cable!!!

So here's a question... why don't websites list any straight-up MEN'S bikes? They say either Unisex or Women's. No disrespect to the ladies, I just don't get it.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Fixed gear bikes is what they race in velodromes. Racing bikes have a single fixed gear and no brakes. Nothing I would want to ride on the road.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Marzzz, but what do you mean when you say my local bike shop would be event better? Better in what way?

A good, dedicated bike shop that is local to your area will be the best bet for helping you select and maintain your bike. Good ones are a lot more personal and can steer you in the right direction, so to speak. As always, beware of the upsell....!

Fixies have the attraction of being the most direct connection between bike and rider. Sometimes touted as the rawest and most true proof of the mettle of the rider. Bike messengers in SF often choose fixies, and that's no joke with the hills, traffic and pavement they have to navigate.

I have a fixie. It's a bear to ride because you get no respite. If the bike is moving, you're pedaling. I mounted a front brake, and only dare ride it around my suburban neighborhood - it's an enormous workout, especially compared to my road bike, which is a carbon fiber Giant TCR, all Dura-Ace and such.

A good, dedicated bike shop that is local to your area will be the best bet for helping you select and maintain your bike. Good ones are a lot more personal and can steer you in the right direction, so to speak. As always, beware of the upsell....!

Yeah, a good local bike shop (LBS) is especially great for those who have not been riding bikes for a long time or are new to cycling. If you break something on your bike or even just have a question or two about it, a good LBS will give you the service you need without much of a wait. The one in my neighborhood has done stuff on my bike for me without charging a penny.

Some people avoid LBS because they assume the prices will be higher. This isn't always true. LBS's sometimes have sales too.

Also, you may have noticed Trek mentioned several times here. It's because Trek is a well-respected brand. And in my area, you can only find Treks at LBS's - not at big chains like REI or Performance Bicycles. Seems to be a similar deal with similarly respected brands like Jamis and Bianchi. You know that $350 Trek FX hybrid I mentioned? That's the price at my closest LBS.

I ended up getting a Diamondback Insight 1 for $350 at Performance Bicycles. It seems comparable to the Trek FX. I had read really good reviews of them online. Took the kids out for a ride the same night and felt good about my purchase.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1185492_-1___000000

I also shopped Bicycle Village just before and they had Trek bikes as well. I thought they were chain since there's 5 in CO, but not sure if they're anywhere else. I'm pretty sure they were $400 and they didn't have much in stock. Not a huge difference in price, but the bike I ended up with just felt right.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

I went up there this morning. The trail head gate is 1.7 miles from my driveway. Kicked my butt as always. 52 minute climb. :cry: Started at 6:30 AM . It's perfect before the heat and sun get too intense. So lucky to live in an area like this. :)

Wow, those views are breathtaking Dave!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I ended up getting a Diamondback Insight 1 for $350 at Performance Bicycles. It seems comparable to the Trek FX. I had read really good reviews of them online. Took the kids out for a ride the same night and felt good about my purchase.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1185492_-1___000000

I also shopped Bicycle Village just before and they had Trek bikes as well. I thought they were chain since there's 5 in CO, but not sure if they're anywhere else. I'm pretty sure they were $400 and they didn't have much in stock. Not a huge difference in price, but the bike I ended up with just felt right.

My nearest Trek dealer is Spokes Etc. - it's a small chain of 5 stores, all in No. VA. Sounds similar to Bicycle Village. Spokes Etc. is unusual in that they also sell Specialized - apparently rare to see both brands in the same shop.

Congrats on your new bike purchase!

Here in the urban burbs around NYC - suburbs with too many dang people, homes, and cars I've been riding this little pleasure....Love it. Made by http://www.electrabike.com/ Model: Townie. It's good to get out from behind the keyboard!

Thanks for the heads up on the Electra brand. I just picked one up. It's the Townie 21D. Road it last night after dark around the neighborhood and it is so much more comfortable than my other bikes. Sitting with a straight back, no pressure on my wrists, it's great.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr1/wdmcmahan/ElectraTownie21D_zpsljsailk5.jpg

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

I went for a ride this morning. Conditions were not great so I took my mountain bike. Good thing. One of the connector trails I took to get to main route was over grown. The main route was nice. I saw a plaque dedicating the trail to a guy I used to ride with on club rides. They installed bike service stations at the trailheads. The first four miles were miserable but I settled into the saddle and embraced the pain and it was fine after that.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/CEB2/56BD8651-3A3A-40F6-9855-33411360BC10_zpsqcf3vpxu.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/CEB2/7D595522-79A7-4E02-BE42-3475DC1E0245_zpsbqrkkzqm.jpg

I suffered a DVT (blood clot) back in april. I was ready to get back riding but my wife nixed street riding with blood thinners on board, as there is too much risk of a wreck with motorists. Since I'm relegated to riding the trails (I mean the paved walking/biking sort, not off road) I wanted something with a more upright riding position. Picked up one of the Trek FX, the 7.2, and for my purposes it's a real nice bike....

The FX are nice bikes. Be careful on the blood thinners. If you are using clipless pedals and been away from riding it is easy to have a brain fart moment. If you are using regular platform pedals that may be a good thing.

Dunno why this doesn't embed, but I took this on a day that I rode my bike to work.

2011 Cannondale CAAD10

AwUkyu2t2QyiFiXXA

The purchase of this bike was my first return to bike riding since my freshman year of college, and my first foray into actual road cycling. If all goes as planned in this, my 5th year of road cycling, I'll surpass 5,000 miles ridden in 2016.

WMATA's SafeTrack program hit the Metro line I ride to work this past week, so bike commuted two days in a row. It's just a preview of this coming work week, in which I'll be bike commuting 5 days in a row. I now have three moisture-wicking pieces of head gear that I wear under the helmet - an Art Crank cycling cap, Halo headband, and Halo skullcap - to minimize sweat dripping over my eyes. I plan to rotate them. In 90F evening commutes, they get saturated about 2/3 of the ride home. I plan to stop at one of the exercise stations along the trail I ride on, and wring out and hang-dry the head gear while I use the station.

I think I'm getting used to riding a full commute in a proper road bike posture. All of the saddles I've tried on the Renegade hurt my undersides when I was riding in a posture that was too upright, so the saddle wasn't supporting the parts of the pelvis it was designed to support. Now I'm working on riding with my hands on the drops and the hooks, to better take advantage of the variety of hand positions offered by drop bars. Riding on the hoods all the time was tiring out my hands.

Here in the urban burbs around NYC - suburbs with too many dang people, homes, and cars I've been riding this little pleasure....Love it. Made by http://www.electrabike.com/ Model: Townie. It's good to get out from behind the keyboard!

Thanks for the heads up on the Electra brand. I just picked one up. It's the Townie 21D. Road it last night after dark around the neighborhood and it is so much more comfortable than my other bikes. Sitting with a straight back, no pressure on my wrists, it's great.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr1/wdmcmahan/ElectraTownie21D_zpsljsailk5.jpg

I missed this thread. I have the Townie 7D that I bought about 5 years ago and loved it for a few years. I stored it in the garage and kind of forgot about it, as I was getting most of my cardio exercise from running. My daughter is an avid mountain biker and she has a high-dollar Cannondale bike, while making fun of my '92 Trek bike and totally laughing at my "hipster" Townie.

I was just about to sell off the old Trek (which was nearly the best that money could buy in '92) as well as the "hipster" Townie to get some kind of new road bike, but I took the Townie on beach vacation this past week and loved it! I had not really ridden it for a few years and it is a cool and comfortable bike!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Nice bike, Dave. I assume you a choice of full suspension but decided against it. Curious about your thinking on that.

I don't know how I missed this thread before. Yeah, biking has exploded, for some pretty obvious reasons. Here in Marin people are going nuts with it.

With small children I don't have time for 2+ hour rides, and what's the point of having a road or mountain bike if you can't do that. But I was commuting 17 miles each way every day on either my hybrid or, if I'm in a big rush, my electric. I actually think that's what I miss most about working from home. Riding across the Golden Gate Bridge twice a day doesn't suck.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Along with my running, it seems I'm riding a lot more too. Both the street and the newly opened Verdugo Mountain trails this week. I enclosed a shot of my pride and joy that I got 6 years ago -- a Steve Potts 29er MTB. Even on the street it's fun - less traffic doesn't hurt either- and doesn't feel like a clunky mountain bike. It really flies along, very stealthy feeling.

Nice looking bike!

In the intervening time between 2016 and now, I continued the hour each way bike commute, splitting time between the Renegade and the Breezer Uptown 8. Then I changed jobs and the commute shortened to 35 min. each way. Then I changed jobs again and the commute got cut in half again to 12-15 minutes. Loved the short ride, but at this latest job I could only park my bike outdoors, so the Renegade's been gathering dust. Now I'm between jobs again and shopping for neck gaiters, so I have something I can wear around my neck and quickly pull over my face if I have to pass within 6' of anybody.

I love riding my bike. It's a ~1995 Gary Fisher that I've converted into a hybrid (with road-friendly tires, trigger shifters, new grips, etc).

I once thought about getting a new one, but there is something about my current ride that is really comfortable.

It's such a great way to get exercise and fresh air, without realizing you're getting exercise.

Todd

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase