Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
#2789268 - 07/07/16 10:35 AM Behringer coming out with an analog synth..??
tucktronix Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Apologies if this was posted earlier...

CLONK

Me & The Boyz
Chris Beard Band

KC Island
#2789271 - 07/07/16 10:53 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: tucktronix]
Bill H. Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Columbia River Gorge, US
Uli is a member of a couple of audio forums, and hinted in one that something along the lines of this synth might be announced "in a few days". That was just before this last Summer NAMM.

Nope not this time, and that's been the continuing story so far about this much leaked analog polysynth his Midas division is working on.

In that same post he said it would be available sometime later this year, so they must be getting close to release. I think it's going to happen, but exactly when who knows.

Edited by Bill H. (07/07/16 11:07 AM)
Edit Reason: oops

#2789277 - 07/07/16 11:17 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Bill H.]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Uli himself was actually on our forum talking about the synth a while back.

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNationSoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers • Cloud Microphones • Crumar/GSi • elysia GmbH • Roswell Pro Audio • TK Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2789302 - 07/07/16 01:13 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Dave Bryce]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Not in market, but I am definitely interested and seeing what they come up with. Korg's Minilogue (4 voice poly analog) showed what can be done for $500 -- let's start the insanity. drool w00t

#2789410 - 07/08/16 06:44 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: tucktronix]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Apparently, it’s “not an Arp Odyssey clone and leans more towards Roland than Moog in character”.

Ah, the new Jupiter-8 clone... $499. Pre-ordered. w00t

#2789541 - 07/08/16 06:36 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Synthoid]
iluvchiclets Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Very cool to see at least there is a synth in the video that people can play on - a prototype or whatever...

I think it's very interesting news. I've kind of run through a lot of the lower-priced keyboards out there (SH32, Gaia, M-Audio Venom, Microkorg, etc.) so something new with perhaps a different sound is exciting to me.

#2789550 - 07/08/16 08:10 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Dave Bryce]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
Uli himself was actually on our forum talking about the synth a while back.

dB

Link to earlier thread: Clonk

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2789620 - 07/09/16 11:36 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: mate stubb]
Mighty Ferguson Online   content

Loc: Massachusetts
From the screenshot they plucked out of the video, it looks like it might have full size keys which is nice to see.

#2789626 - 07/09/16 12:38 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Mighty Ferguson]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Still no word on polyphony? idk

#2789639 - 07/09/16 02:18 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: DulceLabs.com]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Where the wild things are
As long as the action isn't rinky-dink. Hopefully it will have actual MIDI din connections and not just USB.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2789673 - 07/09/16 07:56 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Synthaholic]
rod76 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: mate stubb

Link to earlier thread: Clonk

I'm pulling this comment from rereading that thread. I'm not saying the Behringer synthesizer is CEM based but since the 3340 VCOs have been reissued this year, who knows..

Originally Posted By: The Real MC

And I hate to rain on the parade, but no one is going to replicate the classic SSM/CEM ICs. The development materials critical to replication have been disposed of. They would have to be re-designed from the ground up, and that's not something that the "reverse engineering" modus operandi of Behringer is capable of. There's easily six figures in R&D alone. Then the fab houses to make the ICs mandate a minimum 100,000 piece order before they tool up. The market for polysynths is NOWHERE NEAR that lucrative to recoup the investment in R&D and capital to produce. Not gonna happen, despite the rosy stories from Behringer.

#2790101 - 07/12/16 08:39 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: rod76]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
Another video:

I've not gone through it with a fine tooth comb yet but I see two LFOs with a range of different shapes and button labelled "SYNC" so 2 oscillators? The wheels look distinctly Moog-ish and the filters sound nice. From what I've seen of the panel it reminds me of the various Roland polys with all the sliders - I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up looking a lot like the Gaia.

#2790181 - 07/12/16 02:17 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: MorayM]
iluvchiclets Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I can see it has 49 keys. Nice!

#2790297 - 07/13/16 05:19 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: tucktronix]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

61 keys would be better...

#2790332 - 07/13/16 07:31 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Synthoid]
vonnor Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Centreville, VA USA
Originally Posted By: Synthoid

+1

#2790361 - 07/13/16 09:32 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: vonnor]
AWkeys Offline

Originally Posted By: vonnor

+1

+2 Enough of this 49-key BS. Give us 5 octaves, please!

#2790507 - 07/13/16 06:46 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: AWkeys]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: The Rig
Originally Posted By: AWkeys

Enough of this 49-key BS. Give us 5 octaves, please!

76 keys, triple-sensor synth action, poly AT, the synth itself w/ dual-layer (incl. detune) and split modes please.
What about MIDI multi timbrality, top notch MIDI implementation, a "bug-free" OS/firmware and studio quality FX in addition ?

Well, I can dream ...

The reality might be it´s as cheap as possible, consequently somewhat "crippled", but sounds good enough for the most.

A.C.

#2790548 - 07/14/16 06:40 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: AWkeys]
joegerardi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Savannah,GA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: AWkeys
+2 Enough of this 49-key BS. Give us 5 octaves, please!

Absolutely. 49 keys on a polysynth makes it just another one like the Propet Six and new Obie for me to throw on the junkpile without ever playing.

..Joe

#2790560 - 07/14/16 07:14 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: MorayM]
Bif_ Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: MorayM
I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up looking a lot like the Gaia.

Given Behringer's engineering and design approach they had to copy somebody. laugh

#2790565 - 07/14/16 07:31 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: joegerardi]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: joegerardi
49 keys on a polysynth makes it just another one like the Propet Six and new Obie for me to throw on the junkpile without ever playing.

#2790571 - 07/14/16 08:16 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Bif_]
KenElevenShadows Offline
10k Club

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: Bif_

Given Behringer's engineering and design approach they had to copy somebody. laugh

I was starting to wonder whether people knew about their blatant business practices! Has there ever been a music instrument company that has been more blatant in ripping off designs than Behringer?

#2790573 - 07/14/16 08:26 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: KenElevenShadows]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: KenElevenShadows
Originally Posted By: Bif_

I was starting to wonder whether people knew about their blatant business practices! Has there ever been a music instrument company that has been more blatant in ripping off designs than Behringer?

Every guitar manufacturer ever? grin (Apart from two, obviously wink )

#2790599 - 07/14/16 11:17 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: MorayM]
RABid Offline
10k Club

I'm starting to wonder how anyone ever played a MiniMoog or Odyssey without 61 keys.

#2790613 - 07/14/16 12:32 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: MorayM]
JerryA Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England

I've not gone through it with a fine tooth comb yet but I see two LFOs with a range of different shapes and button labelled "SYNC" so 2 oscillators? The wheels look distinctly Moog-ish and the filters sound nice. From what I've seen of the panel it reminds me of the various Roland polys with all the sliders - I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up looking a lot like the Gaia.

I wouldn't mind it if they skimped on midi and the like ... as long as the hardware was solid, with a good playable keyboard. I have enough controllers.

I like the filter too. Definitely a Rolandish vibe to the design and I am glad it seems like at least a double oscillator. A Juno 60 reissue would suck, big time.

#2790630 - 07/14/16 01:45 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: RABid]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: RABid
I'm starting to wonder how anyone ever played a MiniMoog or Odyssey without 61 keys.

We're talking about a new analog polysynth... rockit

#2790684 - 07/14/16 07:27 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Synthoid]
Buzzzzzzz Offline
Gold Member

Who said? Ask Audio? What is their source? I didn't hear any polyphony in the teaser videos. It could very well be polyphonic and Behringer is simply holding out on us. But AFAIK there is zero proof right now that it's polyphonic.

PS. It would be strange for a mono synth to have 49 keys...but that's not proof.

#2790689 - 07/14/16 08:00 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: RABid]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well,- only those being good players though ... crazy

OTOH,- if it realy IS a poly, 61-keys don´t hurt, even a Oberheim 4-, 6- and 8-voice in the past was 4 octaves keyboard only too,- and good enough for not only,- Joe Zawinul.

wink

A.C.

#2790690 - 07/14/16 08:09 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: JerryA]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: JerryA

I wouldn't mind it if they skimped on midi and the like ...

No way would I accept any poor MIDI on any piece of electronic audio gear today and at any price.
Implementing MIDI is easy and doesn´t require any research,- it was all done in the stone age of the 80s and is well documented.

Originally Posted By: JerryA

as long as the hardware was solid, with a good playable keyboard. I have enough controllers.

But even you have enough CONTROLLERS, that new device should be able to be controlled flawlessly,- isn´t it ?

A.C.

#2791405 - 07/19/16 05:06 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Al Coda]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Another teaser:

So it's a 2 DCO polysynth, I guess modeled after various Junos.

#2791421 - 07/19/16 06:50 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Buzzzzzzz]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Who said? Ask Audio?

From their website. And I read it elsewhere:

"Now while we have very few details (read: none, really), we do know it’s an analog polysynth."

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 ... 20 21 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner