Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 19 of 21 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 >
Topic Options
#2827444 - 01/11/17 06:32 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: hardware]
VanZea Offline

Loc: Maarssen, The Netherlands
In Europe the first batch arrived and already sold out. People received theirs as early as the end of december. I received mine (from Thomann) on Januari the 3rd.

KC Island
#2827466 - 01/11/17 08:17 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: VanZea]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Kansas
I'll be bummed to miss out on a low serial number first run as I jumped on it soon as the buy option came available. However I know of sevreal U.S. sound designers and producers that have already been testing pre-production first run units for a little over a week. Perhaps this is what Seven refers to? Maybe a bit of a wait will benefit with newer firmware.

Anyway, the iOS editor just popped up. Most intriguing is the Preset Blender button. It appears that 4 different patches can be loaded at once and morphed around with a big X-Y pad.

Oh wait...maybe only the four effects can be morphed with the X-Y?

Edited by brenner13 (01/11/17 08:21 PM)
Edit Reason: On second thought

#2827467 - 01/11/17 08:32 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: hardware]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
So,e words in FB that those who are receiving the first units have some complaints on the action being clicky and noises. Rumor is that it will be fixed on future models and that a simple felt strip can fix the issue issue in the first units. Of course this is just FB rumors and innuendo.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2827589 - 01/12/17 09:59 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: J. Dan]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

Just got confirmation: "Your order is on its way!" like cool smile crazy laugh shocked smirk wink cry sick tired whistle wave idea freak love thu razz rawk eek keys cheers boing hitt roll twothumbs drool rockit w00t PianoBanana HeadPop puff

#2827688 - 01/12/17 03:05 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: brenner13]
hardware Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Nashville, TN.
Mine will be here tomorrow.
It has 2 Channels of a Radial Space Heater waiting.
If it sucks it will in the Classified ads above at a reduced rate.

#2827726 - 01/12/17 05:19 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: hardware]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Oh dang, so - what do you guys think? Surely you'll have to install latest OS to get the new patches and bug fixes... showing up tomorrow? The stock must be in dealers prior to them emailing you?

#2827762 - 01/12/17 07:57 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: ElmerJFudd]
hardware Offline
Gold Member

If mine sucks you can have it for 800.
If it sounds punchy (which is hard to tell as YouTube recordings are weak) I can make it scream.
The LPF & HPF sounded great, so we'll see if the DCOs got game.
Sounds like discrete audio though and if so I'll be keeping it.
Thought it was worth a shot for 1 large.

#2827770 - 01/12/17 09:30 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: hardware]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
you will sell it in less that 1 hour at that price.

Jethro Tull

#2827791 - 01/13/17 02:06 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: davedoerfler]
hardware Offline
Gold Member

Perfect timing too as I take off after CES every year to go to NAMM and do modifications to the rig.
No need for NAMM this year, NAMM came to me.
3 weeks to get the D12 ready and prep the new racks.

#2827953 - 01/13/17 02:01 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: tucktronix]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
OK, someone here must have received a DM-12 and is ready to give us a review.

What's the verdict? idk

#2828070 - 01/14/17 05:01 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Synthoid]
Joe Muscara Online   content
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
https://twitter.com/SweetwaterSound/status/820016421652590592

"Now Shipping: The @BEHRINGER #DeepMind 12"

#2828156 - 01/14/17 11:57 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Joe Muscara]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Edited by ElmerJFudd (01/14/17 11:58 AM)

#2828157 - 01/14/17 11:59 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Joe Muscara]
hardware Offline
Gold Member

WiFI connects easily for my iPad, preset manager is really useful as is selecting effects.
Being able to adjust the faders, knobs and wheels (which are more fun than touch crap) then using iPad to save from menu hopping.

Soundwise, it is very fat, big and plugging it into a Radial Space Heater is pretty sick.

For 999 and a 3 year warranty from Sweetwater who has stellar support should not be overlooked.
I didn't need this as Zebra2 HZ and Solaris are plenty these days.
But plan on using this as its smaller, easy to replace and Solaris can retire to bedroom/garage studio as it's been punished for 6 years now, time to treat her right.

#2828264 - 01/15/17 08:24 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: hardware]
RichieP_MechE Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: hardware
WiFI connects easily for my iPad, preset manager is really useful as is selecting effects.
Being able to adjust the faders, knobs and wheels (which are more fun than touch crap) then using iPad to save from menu hopping.

Soundwise, it is very fat, big and plugging it into a Radial Space Heater is pretty sick.

For 999 and a 3 year warranty from Sweetwater who has stellar support should not be overlooked.
I didn't need this as Zebra2 HZ and Solaris are plenty these days.
But plan on using this as its smaller, easy to replace and Solaris can retire to bedroom/garage studio as it's been punished for 6 years now, time to treat her right.

Well this all sounds very promising. How does the action feel?

#2828271 - 01/15/17 09:19 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: RichieP_MechE]
hardware Offline
Gold Member

Aftertouch is natural to me by default.
On my Physis K4 I have to program it.
But as far as "action" goes I dont have problems on any keyboard.
Played the very best and worst, springs, Poly AT, etc.
I just adjust but this synth has no issues other than the programmers had too much fun with Reverbs and Delays making their presets ineffective at anything other than emulating massive Caverns and Grand Canyons.
The fan cannot be heard even though it concerns people.

#2828274 - 01/15/17 09:52 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: tucktronix]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Any other reviews out there?

rockit

#2828317 - 01/15/17 01:59 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Synthoid]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

FedEx stalled out 70 miles away Friday night and chose not to run my route on Sat with no scheduled delivery at this point. Got hella lots o work at the day job next week, a family funeral and gigs all next weekend. Will likely not even get out of the box for another week, now.

#2829096 - 01/18/17 10:07 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: brenner13]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

It finally arrived yesterday evening, just in time to get a few plays during band rehearsal.

First some quibbles: The keybed is a bit clangy. The highest A note almost sounds like something is loose inside when played with fervor. The B below that is also notably noisier than the others. I do play rather heavy-handed so perhaps it is a matter of adjusting my technique. I am still able to play fast lead lines without much effort or thought, so we'll see how it does after some time. Further elaboration on my heavy handedness, the nice shiny keys are easily scratched, very similar to many of the newer synth keys I've experienced. Glissandos will leave their mark. Also there are slightly sharp seams under the lip, on the corners where the top of the white keys are joined to the body of the keys. They might be two pieces glued together? This will require closer inspection to confirm. Also, the outer edges of the white keys are exposed like so many other keyboards, so extra care is required when moving and packing. Some upper level stands might require a spacer or shims so the keys don't bottom out on the support arms' end caps.

The wheels are hard plastic and remind me of early Korg MS 10/20's mod wheel. But these are a bit larger than that. The pitch is heavily sprung like I like, but can slip a bit if not pressed with a little force. Would have been nice if they had a more rubbery feel, but they work just fine...more observation than complaint.

The octave buttons seem awkwardly too far away from the indicator lights during this first flight. Surely this will not be noticeable after some time as some muscle memory gets developed. 49 keys means those buttons will likely have to endure the most presses of the lot.

On the virgin voyage, I was just scrolling through presets. I did not immediately find a way to search by category. Perhaps it's there and I've yet to discover it, but really need a way to quickly find a handful of Leads, and then Pads for live use. Haven't hooked up the iPad yet, but that device is already busy with other tasks during a show and may not be convenient to also labor it with patch library duties. Better read up on the manual.

Now for the good stuff:
Holy SMOKES! This is HUGE analog sound! Blended in quite nicely with the band at first key press. Cuts through when needed and easily backs down to sweet sounding sonic support. Very anxious to spend some real time programming my own sounds for the set lists.

Despite my critique of the keybed above, the dang thing is VERY expressive. Velocity opens the filter nicely with a whack when set properly as on some presets. The aftertouch is perfect for me. Does not accidentally engage like on my EX5 and doesn't take a handstand on the keys to convey like on my JX10. The SY77 is still a better key bed probably due to the deeper travel, but despite the clangyness, DM12 should be able to support some soulfully weeping solos.

I heard some complaints about the Volume and Portamento knobs being too close to a stair-step ledge where fingers get pinched at the top while turning. I was aware of this before I got the board so maybe I had already compensated my technique, but I did not notice this problem. Perhaps I just have thin fingers? Speaking of the knobs...very high quality with nice resistance and smooth operation. Same goes for the sliders. Very quality feel to all of them.

I could go on gushing about how much I love this new synth, but time escapes me. Overall the thing feels like "instant vintage with modern amenities"...just what I was looking for. Happy Happy Joy Joy.

I'll surely share more as time allows for deeper diving.

#2829100 - 01/18/17 10:16 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Bucktunes]
dsetto Offline

I played the DeepMind 12 yesterday. The 12 voices, paired with excellent timing responsiveness & terrific action allowed me to get a long-sought after piano-like experience from the real-time sound-shaping ability of an analog synthesizer.

I was checking out the playing-responsiveness & developing a simple sound without use of effects, modulation, or menu-diving. Although, I was in a busy, noisy setting, with headphones, I easily got lost in it.

I had no pedal. But, with manipulation of the Amp & Filter Release faders, and the 12 voices, I stumbled upon a piano-like experience. This is "piano-like" in terms of response, not actual timbre. Without pedal, I was easily holding 10 keys at once. 12 voices seem to be a good number. 2 more for long releases, or when pedalís around. And the appropriate faders & buttons right there so it doesnít get too thick.

Somehow I stumbled upon making an analogy of a pianoís resonance sound-board. I had a percussive aspect of the sound; and a growing/evolving lower soup part of the sound. And, without the pedal. It was releated to the interplay of the AMP & Filter envelope settings.

#2829206 - 01/18/17 05:24 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: dsetto]
Buzzzzzzz Offline
Gold Member

I don't know if it's been posted here yet (I checked back two pages and didn't see it) but here is the Deepmind 12 manual:

https://media.music-group.com/media/PLM/data/docs/P0AC5/DEEPMIND%2012_M_EN.pdf

#2829271 - 01/18/17 10:51 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Buzzzzzzz]
U.Honey Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I finally got the DeepMind today. It's smaller than I thought but still weights 18.5 lb/8.4 kg. The build quality is very good, metal chassis and real wood side panels. The audio jacks are metal too. It's definitely gives you an impression of a pro instrument. Keyboard action is very good. Way, way better than in my Nord Lead 2x. I played it for an hour or so and my first impression is that it sounds really sweet but I'll post once I get to spend some time with it.

#2829274 - 01/18/17 11:30 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Buzzzzzzz]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Originally Posted By: Buzzzzzzz
I don't know if it's been posted here yet (I checked back two pages and didn't see it) but here is the Deepmind 12 manual:

https://media.music-group.com/media/PLM/data/docs/P0AC5/DEEPMIND%2012_M_EN.pdf

Took a look through the manual. Sheesh. You could spend a lifetime programming the thing, and never get to half of it.

Keys: Nord Stage 2, Piano 2, Electro 4D
Practice: Yam N3, Bosendorfer 200 Klimt Model
Amps: Fulcrum 12ac, QSC Ks, CPS SSv3
Support: Spider Pro, QSC TouchPro

#2829276 - 01/18/17 11:57 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: brenner13]
Ulf Offline

Originally Posted By: brenner13
I'll surely share more as time allows for deeper diving.

Thanks a lot for the review, and please do come back with more experiences.

#2829400 - 01/19/17 09:56 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Ulf]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

Good golly, that is a sweet filter! Very smooth frequency sweeps available with tons of different controllers and modulations. Resonance allows for some wacky overtones and crazy howls. Digging it!

Those Richard Divine presets are out there, man. He also made some fantastic basses. So much fun to take those and mutate and modulate so easily with all of the sliders.

Modulation matrix is huge. Assign upto 8 different destinations from the modwheel if you wish. Or like some U-toob reviewers suggest, modulate something that modulates something else that modulates something else... Can even modulate effects parameters.

I was a bit concerned that this was going to be too much synth for me, but the interface is very accessible and quite easy to learn some deeper synthesis that had previously baffled my understanding.

What a great synth.

#2830137 - 01/22/17 08:49 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: brenner13]
Bachus Offline

Seems people at NAMM agree with your findings about the Behringer deepmind 12

Best of NAMM 2017 keyszone award (unofficial)

#2830148 - 01/22/17 10:01 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Bachus]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Play it at NAMM, ambient noise caveats apply. Thought it did that smooth Rolandish sound very well, but was still pretty versatile. Noticed that many of the presets were doubled, making it a 6-voice synth. Dealkillerz for me are the 4 octave keyboard, and that it doesn't respond to PolyAT over MIDI. I'll make do with DIVA for now.

#2830154 - 01/22/17 10:25 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: Marzzz]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

Finally got a little time in the studio and made it through bank D while saving some extensive modifications to selected presets. While many of these factory patches are quite genius, many others lend themselves to be good starting points for one's own sonic tastes. As others may have already observed, many presets are swathed in effects, but the interface is so easy and fast to change them, or even bypass them altogether. The effects section is so immense that one could get lost for days in there...so much fun to have this on board, but it is easy to overuse them which can obscure the sweet, pure analog tone.

I was thinking to replace something in my studio and/or my live rig, but the DM12 has a unique character and sounds different than anything else I have. Korg MS2000 has a sizzle that DM cannot quite touch. SY77 has a much wider sonic palette (FM is a great big giant hairy beastie), JX10 has a broad lushness and is capable of some beautiful bells that I've not been able to coax out of the DM as of yet. EX5...well that's a multifaceted beast in its own right. However DM's raw tone has a warmth and smoothness that none of the fore mentioned can match. And they play so well with each other; fired them all up and every one had their own sweet spot in the mix with little effort on my part.

So the collection grows, sigh.

#2830259 - 01/22/17 05:11 PM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: brenner13]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2830340 - 01/23/17 03:52 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: ElmerJFudd]
brenner13 Offline
Gold Member

The iOS app just got an update. Larger font, YAY! Among other tweaks and fixes, support for another firmware update for the unit, 1.03.

It is impressive how hard Mr. Behringer and his team are working on this.

#2830356 - 01/23/17 05:06 AM Re: Behringer coming out with an analog synth..?? [Re: brenner13]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm not surprised - first synth from these guys is going to heavily scrutinized. And it's a UK synth labored on by Midas engineers who - as suggested by themselves - carries a bit of pride in the work.

Page 19 of 21 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner