Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2788687 - 07/03/16 09:59 PM Fender Bassman '59 LTD 4x10 Combo Amp... for bass :-)
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Yeah, I know that "these days" this is thought of as a guitar amp, but I bought one a few days ago primarily for baritone guitar and lap steel, and decided to try it on bass at my jazz gig today, and it amazed everyone. It sounds good, balanced, articulate, and focused at all settings. A perfect match for a P-Bass maple w/ flats.

I much prefer this combination to my Mesa setup, for this specific bass and string choice. It was a bonus that this is the case; it wasn't my primary reason for buying the amp. I like it on Tele but despise it on Strats; too boomy, muddy, and woofy at all settings.

Of course the amp was originally designed for bass, and specifically the one I used it for today. But I was nervous as I keep hearing that basses will blow out guitar amps as they aren't built to handle the low frequencies. Yet this amp sounds voiced for bass. Even though it was the amp that inspired Jim Marshall.

Does anyone know if it is dangerous to use the LTD reissue on bass? I had heard different stories on this. Of course, we're talking jazz gigs so I only turned up the master volume to 2.5 or 3 and even then had some headroom on the bass itself.

At Summer NAMM, Fender just announced the reissue of the '57 Pro amp, which is similar to this one except for being a 1x15. Apparently that one was also oriented towards pedal steel players originally, just like the Bassman.

BP Island
#2789944 - 07/11/16 08:00 AM Re: Fender Bassman '59 LTD 4x10 Combo Amp... for bass :-) [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I can't speak to this specific model, but my first bass amp was a Fender Bassman Ten, a silver-face series 50 watt 4x10 combo. It served me well as a bass amp for 20 years, in church and small clubs, until I started playing bigger venues and needed more power and clean headroom. It's also not very distinct when playing the lower notes on a 5 string.

If you're keeping the master volume low, I don't see it being a problem to use it as a true bass amp. If this is a new reissued amp, it is probably in much better shape than my old abused piece. It should hold up well for you. Footprint may or may not be an issue on the stages you're playing.

The last time I used it in the studio, I used my Spector Legend (P/J). Combining a DI channel with the mic'ed amp, we got a reasonable Rickenbacker-ish sound out of it. Nice warm lows, with just enough bite on it. And yes, it does sound good with a guitar - my ES335 loves to run through it at high volume.

#2790037 - 07/11/16 08:29 PM Re: Fender Bassman '59 LTD 4x10 Combo Amp... for bass :-) [Re: Danzilla]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks for reminding me that I forgot to try my five-string basses through it yet. :-)

#2798106 - 08/21/16 01:58 PM Re: Fender Bassman '59 LTD 4x10 Combo Amp... for bass :-) [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I meant to add that the Pro 15" model from '57 was released in similar format a few weeks back. Sounds great in on-line audio demos.

I learned of that model a week after ordering my Bassman, but have no regrets as I already have a standalone 15" cabinet from Mesa, and didn't like the 4x10's I tried (except for the now-elusive one from Bergantino) so for me the Bassman fills a void.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd probably buy the Fender Pro instead, as it also might be the best-of-all match for lap steel, pedal steel, and baritone.

#2798404 - 08/22/16 01:49 PM Re: Fender Bassman '59 LTD 4x10 Combo Amp... for bass :-) [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm not sure how related the designs are, but the Bassman Head that got popularized in the 60's, now has an 800-watt version announced by Fender a few days ago, targeted towards bassist vs. guitarists, but being of an hybrid design vs. all-tubes.

#2808352 - 10/09/16 01:54 AM Re: Fender Bassman '59 LTD 4x10 Combo Amp... for bass :-) [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

This is still working great as a bass amp for the jazz combo I belong to.

I still haven't gotten around to spending much time on it using my lap steel. I've almost forgotten that it's usually thought of as a guitar amp, or an amp for electrified folk/bluegrass instruments like mandolin, lap steel, and pedal steel.