Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Running

Phred

Haven't been here in a while.

My running is still on hold. Had some knee surgery and now having some calf and back issues that I am getting treatment for.

My kids are still runners. Daughter runs in college and ran a 5k CC time of 19:21 this fall. HS sophomore son dropped his 5k down to 15:32. He won't turn 16 until after the school year is over, so I think he has some big upside still. He is looking to run a 3200 on the track in under 9:20 in the spring, and I think that's reasonable; he went 9:45 last year as a freshman on less training and a year younger.

I am hopeful that I can begin the New Year with some running, but right now I can not walk without pain, so I need to fix that first.

Happy running!

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Sorry if this was covered, but I don't normally read this thread. :)

What do you guys wear when it's too cold for just shorts and you're going to run outdoors?

I walk very briskly (nearly) every day for about an hour, but when it gets to this time of year I get cold so I have to wear long pants of some sort (yes, I'm in Houston, I'm from NY, but 50° is cold for me). I've been wearing old jeans but they're about done and kinda drafty to be honest. :laugh: I've seen stuff like leggings for men that I think I've seen some dudes wear. Other pants seem kinda floppy for this kind of activity.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Joe,

Why not sweat pants? Or "track pants"? Or, go to a running store and get some running tights (I have never had those, but I'm old school and just wear sweats).

Not sure what these are?

Sweat pants - https://www.google.com/search?q=sweatpants&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiplNyt_87JAhXE3SYKHRgoBsMQ_AUICCgC

Track pants - https://www.google.com/search?q=sweatpants&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiplNyt_87JAhXE3SYKHRgoBsMQ_AUICCgC#tbm=isch&q=track+pants

running tights for men - https://www.google.com/search?q=sweatpants&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiplNyt_87JAhXE3SYKHRgoBsMQ_AUICCgC#tbm=isch&q=running+tights+men

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Sorry if this was covered, but I don't normally read this thread. :)

What do you guys wear when it's too cold for just shorts and you're going to run outdoors?

I walk very briskly (nearly) every day for about an hour, but when it gets to this time of year I get cold so I have to wear long pants of some sort (yes, I'm in Houston, I'm from NY, but 50° is cold for me). I've been wearing old jeans but they're about done and kinda drafty to be honest. :laugh: I've seen stuff like leggings for men that I think I've seen some dudes wear. Other pants seem kinda floppy for this kind of activity.

I usually wear shorts year round unless it is <20F, then I wear some Nike tights. I find that the coldest parts of my body that must stay warm are hands and ears. I will wear layers of long sleeve clothing with running gloves and either a stocking cap or ear muffs. As long as my hands and ears are warm, the cold does not really bother my legs too much.

It has been awhile since I've posted about running. I hit my peak running shape three years ago and have let it slide a little bit since then. I may never achieve the PR time in a half, but I've continued doing 1-2 half marathons per year and I usually run 2-3 times per week throughout the year. I did a half in mid-November and have been taking a little bit of time off from running since then.

Good thread.

Many good memories of my "running years" which lasted from my late 20s to early 40s. Philadelphia has wonderful and spacious parks with miles of trails. IMHO the Philadelphia parks system is the best nationwide. Ran many half-marathons and only one marathon (Marine Corp Marathon). They were good years.

Running saved me when I managed Ensoniq's customer service. The 1989 through 1992 VFX and polypressure keyboard quality issues were brutal. I experienced lots of emotional stress and the running helped.

My team and I administered a factory recall, handling numerous litigious cases with customers, lawyers, State Attorney Generals, Better Business Bureaus, etc. and it was running (and endorphin) that kept me sane. Almost very day, a VFX owner would call Ensoniq's receptionist and yell, "I want to talk to the manager." It was during those phone calls that I learned about telephone therapy.

During the "quality issue" days, Ensoniq's president, Bruce Crockett, would invite me to go running with him after work. We'd run, talk and share ideas. I believe that it was his way of learning how Ensoniq's customer service was being handled. Bruce was a terrific leader who made time for people.

During my early 40s, my body and my schedule changed and running seemed less fun so I started biking, walking and kayaking.

These days, envy creeps into my psyche when I see young folks running through Philadelphia's beautiful parks. Good years indeed.

Steve Coscia

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd finally chime in here although I'm a light weight compared to some of you. I do about 4.25 miles 3-4 times per week. Always run the same route in my neighborhood and dread the 3 hills that still kick my ass (remember light weight here). When I visit LA I love to run on the strand in Redondo/Hermosa; flat flat flat!

Running is the one exercise I found I can discipline myself to stay with as it's hassle-free walking out my door and ready to go. Winter time I usually slack off for a few months but as said it's been great so far in Northern VA so hopefully my down time this winter will be minimal. I'm a shorts guy at all cost as well. My hands get cold anywhere in the 40s so gloves all the way. Wish I had them last week in LA :wacko:

It was without a doubt due to the two days off following the 11 days straight.

I've pretty much parked it for the holidays and I LOVE IT!

11 days in a row Dave - that is something to be proud of. I'll be back on THE MILL first week of the year. I think this year I totaled out at just shy of 600 miles.

Markyboard, keep running. If you want to go longer set a goal like a half marathon or a 10K. You can do it.

• 1 month later...

7 miles a day for me rain or shine. In Southern California that's pretty easy to say, however!

6'2 and 165 pounds and I can now eat pretty much anything I want and stay at this weight. At 48 years old this is exactly where I want to be.

I cycle a hundred or so miles a week and row 5000 meters a day on a Concept2 rowing machine.

Put all that together with an hour of accordion practice a day and I'm in the best shape of my life.

But running started it all....

• 3 months later...

Dave,

That 12 miler probably felt like a long time because it's a long way! :)

For me, this is prime season but little league is killing me. Along with everything else that comes with good weather: yard, pool, golf etc. etc.... :blah:

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
Running season for me finally started up last week--it's finally warmed up to manageable temps here in NH. Did 5 miles last Friday, and 4 more today. Looking to go out for a nice long run either tomorrow or Thursday.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

• 1 month later...
Good work Dave! And don't feel bad, your recovery run is my normal run, about 4.25 miles 3 days a week. I'm still at it but it never gets easier. My doctor pointed out that I have a sunken in chest (there's some fancy name for it) that may account for why my breathing is so labored. First time I ever heard this but maybe it makes sense. Anyway this is a challenging time of year in DC. Today was beautiful, dry and crisp at 6:30am when I typically run. Tuesday was quite different - extremely humid at the same time - killer when there's little oxygen in the air- or so it seems. Oh well, I'm now at my all time low adult weight record.

Got a couple of 5K races coming up. Working on getting back my sub-30 time from a couple years ago. It's hard to run outside for me due to my agoraphobia getting in the way.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Dave - very impressive. I'm at 180. ha-ha!

May - June Little League kills me every year, no time.

But that's over and now I am back to clicking off 5 milers with the wife.

Marky and Justin, keep running!

Joe

• 5 months later...

Very close to my goal of running 1700 miles for the year. I'm at 1693 with today and tomorrow to go. Waiting for the rain to subside a bit before I head out. I'll probably do an easy recovery of 4 today and get over the 1700 mark tomorrow. I ran a tad up the steep trail yesterday and the legs are still feeling it this morning. It had been awhile since I was up there.

In any case I'll be up from last year's total of 1167. Which was sort of my recovery year from the radiation for prostate cancer. Even though I felt fine my strength was not quite there last year. Tomorrow, 12/31, will be the two year anniversary of my last radiation treatment.

I don't know if I've got it in my legs to get back to 2000 miles a year - like I did 18 years in a row from ages 38 to 56 (63 now) - but I'm going to try and average 35 miles a week for '17 and see how that works out. That would put me around 1825.

I would like to start doing the steep trails by my home in the Verdugo Mountains reguarly again. I highly miss running trails and I'm really burnt out running on the street - hassling with cars, trucks and traffic lights. Even though I go to great lengths to map out routes that have the least amount of contact with cars, I still encounter problems it seems too often.

People just drive so fast and reckless around here it's insane !! And fairly certain it's not my imagination but there are just more cars then ever, everywhere !

All it takes is one semi-close encounter and it spoils the whole run for me. When I was younger I would just let it go. Now I get more agitated, more often and it stays with me longer. So staying off the streets as much as possible is probably my #1 goal for '17. I'd say 98% of my runs were on the road this year.that's WAY too much !

I still don't feel I'm at the level I was at before I started the treatments in Oct. '14. I'm running a good 2 to 2.5 minutes slower, per mile, then I was prior to the radiation. I'm not sure it will ever come back but at 63 , running for over 35 years and close to 60K miles total run , I take the attitude of -- it is what is and I'm just thankful to still be out there grinding away every day.

Do feel a little guilty in that I haven't been on the Potts mountain bike since Sept. 16. :cry: But just in this groove of running everyday or at least 6 days a week.

Hope everyone had a good year with regards to your fitness. :thu:

After avoiding a lot of this thread for however long it's been around, I have to admit that I've started running sometime the middle of last year. I had been walking, I've never been a runner, but I was walking about as fast as I could without breaking into a run. I finally said screw it, and started running a bit. I go about 6k. That started out as all walking and I'm still trying to get that to be all running. I've had a few setbacks like shin splints and other "minor" injuries. Before the shin splints, I could do 3k running straight, but now I'm working back up to that. As you guys probably already know, how well I can run depends on how much and how well I've slept, what I've been doing, etc. It's an interesting process.

This all really kicked off because I got an Apple Watch in the fall of 2015 and I've become obsessed with "closing the rings." The Activity app tracks stand hours, exercise minutes, and active move calories. I'm on a 290+ day streak of closing all three rings. My doctor was blown away when I told her I do "cardio" seven days a week. I have to - how else can I get those calories burned? :)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ended the year a little over 2400 miles. I burn around 800 calories each run and I noticed the total calories burned this year was 280,000. At 3500 calories a pound that means I'd weigh roughly 80 pounds more than I do had I not run at all this year!

What I take from that is that I eat like a horse!!!!

Happy New Year all and keep on running. It gets easier the more you run for sure!

Whoa Tommy. Man that's outstanding ! :2thu:

I'd have to go back and look through my "Jerome" logs going back about 24 years ago, and go up through age 39 into my late my 40s but I don't believe , even in my prime, I ever got up to 2400 miles for the year. That's around 46 miles a week average. That's a lot of running ! Congrats. Do you do races ?

Joe- yeah man just maybe alternate walking and running till those shin splint issues go away. Maybe concentrate on time as opposed to miles. Just make sure you have good supportive running shoes, not cross trainers or some other BS shoes they market as ok for running. ;)

Jeff Galloway , along with many, has a good and sensible program for beginning runners. A huge part of running is restraint and common sense.

Thanks, Dave. I've been going to a localish store for the running shoes, so I should be good there. Part of what happened was I had bought my last pair last January and I guess they were a bit worn by fall when I had started running in earnest.

I will check out stuff by Mr. Galloway.

.As you guys probably already know, how well I can run depends on how much and how well I've slept, what I've been doing, etc. It's an interesting process.

How well or how badly you feel sometimes can't be identified. Rest, food, whatever, sometimes you feel awful, and sometimes you feel great and there is no explanation for either. It's a mystery (this coming from a BSME, Joe!). Most of the time you feel the same, though.

Joe, stick with it. It is the best gift you can give yourself (quote from Kara Goucher).

My feeling is, if you can run, you should run.

.As you guys probably already know, how well I can run depends on how much and how well I've slept, what I've been doing, etc. It's an interesting process.

How well or how badly you feel sometimes can't be identified. Rest, food, whatever, sometimes you feel awful, and sometimes you feel great and there is no explanation for either. It's a mystery (this coming from a BSME, Joe!). Most of the time you feel the same, though.

Joe, stick with it. It is the best gift you can give yourself (quote from Kara Goucher).

My feeling is, if you can run, you should run.

Thanks, Joe - I'm a BSME, too. :) I'm only not running right now because there's a strong line of storms that might be headed this way. I'm lucky enough that I can postpone my daily run to after they blow over.

After avoiding a lot of this thread for however long it's been around, I have to admit that I've started running sometime the middle of last year. I had been walking, I've never been a runner, but I was walking about as fast as I could without breaking into a run. I finally said screw it, and started running a bit. I go about 6k. That started out as all walking and I'm still trying to get that to be all running. I've had a few setbacks like shin splints and other "minor" injuries. Before the shin splints, I could do 3k running straight, but now I'm working back up to that. As you guys probably already know, how well I can run depends on how much and how well I've slept, what I've been doing, etc. It's an interesting process.

Joe- almost the exact same story here from a number of years ago. One thing I found over the last 2 years is not to stop in the winter months; it's just to difficult to start over again in the Spring time with the shin splints and such. As I've said before it never seems to get easier for me over time although I also have good and bad days for no apparent reason. I thought the cold weather (25deg F) would be easier on my breathing but I had to take a walk break after about a mile the other day and every mile thereafter. :idk

Oh well, if you're out there don't beat yourself up too badly. At least you're out there. That's what I keep telling myself.

I'm lucky in that most days it doesn't stay below freezing here if it gets that low at all. I can wait out the temp a little if I need to. I've already made it through summer, I have enough gear to keep going through winter.

One of the hard parts for me is that I don't like to be cold. I tend to overdress for the start of the run because it's cold out there, and I sometimes end up wearing too much for when I've warmed up. Today was one of those cases. We had a couple of strong storms blow through and cool everything off. I checked outside and it felt chilly so I dressed for that. Part of the way through my run, I was too hot. I need to get better at suffering through the colder start of the run so I'm not overdressed for when I've warmed up.

Dave it looks like Galloway might have invented the "Couch to 5k" thing that's so popular now? I think I need to incorporate that into what I'm doing because I don't think I'm progressing with my run vs. walk time.

One of the hard parts for me is that I don't like to be cold. I tend to overdress for the start of the run because it's cold out there, and I sometimes end up wearing too much for when I've warmed up. Today was one of those cases. We had a couple of strong storms blow through and cool everything off. I checked outside and it felt chilly so I dressed for that. Part of the way through my run, I was too hot. I need to get better at suffering through the colder start of the run so I'm not overdressed for when I've warmed up.

Joe,

The rule of thumb is "dress for the second mile". :)

You'll get better at it. When me and my wife were doing the Philly Half last November, man the analysis we went through that morning! Undergarment yes or no? Okay yes. What type? And on and on. Gloves?

We were cold before we started for like an hour getting through security and finding our corral, but had a great race and wound up dressed perfectly.

But even after 20+ years and thousands of miles I still get it wrong sometimes. Generally, I think it is better to start cold than to be overheated later.

Weather is always a factor but find an excuse to go, not an excuse to bail.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. The "second mile" tip is a great one. I will remember that. :thu:

I never bail. I've gotten obsessive about doing this. I may even be doing it too much. But I have to get those calories to "close the rings" on my Watch, so I'm going to do something! I've even waited all day for it to stop raining, and when we were in NY last month, I ran on the hotel dreadmill all three days because it was sub-freezing outside.

I never bail. :D

P.S. I just got my wife to do one of those "Couch to 5K" apps. Today was her first day. She hated it. The jogging stints were killing her, and she was totally winded after each one and for a while after she got home. She's never liked running, but she seems to be willing to give this a shot. I'm really hoping she gets to the point where we can do this together. We used to walk together until she had some problems a year ago. But I do feel a little :evil: about getting her to do this, yet good, too.