Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2872562 - 08/12/17 02:26 PM Re: Korg Kronos vs Yamaha Montage [Re: ApprenticeGary]
rickzjamm Offline
Gold Member

A while back I had the Korg Kronos2 88 & the RD-800 side by side in my home office, I really dig the action of the RD-800 & to my surprise the KK2 88 felt almost exactly like it.

KC Island
#2885748 - 10/18/17 01:02 PM Re: Korg Kronos vs Yamaha Montage [Re: RABid]
SEA Offline

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: RABid
but if I had to choose just one it would be the Kronos. Mainly because of the lack of MIDI input routing, but also because of the organ patches.

Did you here these organ samples for the Montage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-1C3bFdxac

#2885762 - 10/18/17 02:18 PM Re: Korg Kronos vs Yamaha Montage [Re: SEA]
GRollins Online   content
Gold Member

I know this probably won't apply to 98% of the people here, but I vastly prefer the pipe organ (separate and distinct from Hammond organ) voices in my Yamaha XS rack unit to anything else I've come across. My Kronos has one pipe organ that's pretty good for my purposes, but the XS has eight or ten that are all good.

Grey

#2885787 - 10/18/17 08:00 PM Re: Korg Kronos vs Yamaha Montage [Re: SEA]
jimmymio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: petaluma, ca
Originally Posted By: SEA
On the used market the best buy (IMHO) would be the PC3K8. You can find them under 2K.

As a classically trained jazz/rock/contemporary pianist I'm very picky when it comes to actions. A few weeks ago I picked up a used S90 ES from Sam Ash for $1,350 just for the action in my studio. IMHO it beats every action out there period! The pianos sounded great so I thought I'd try the S90 XS ($1,360) with a 45 day return from Guitar Center. I hated the sound of it and the action wasn't as good as the ES! Felt more like a Motif. The headphone DAC was like 1/2 the volume of the ES. It totally sucked so back it went.

I have tried the Kronos. The action is "Ok" but a bit sluggish.

I own an S90ES and Kronos 2 73 and i agree with everything Sea says here. After many years of hard work my S90ES needs work and I didn't want to sink the $ into it. Bought the kronos and (a 3rd party piano) and I don't like the action or the piano sounds. In fact I avoid playing acoustic piano sounds and try to use EPs instead.
Yam S90ES
Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

#2885800 - 10/18/17 10:27 PM Re: Korg Kronos vs Yamaha Montage [Re: SEA]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: SEA
Originally Posted By: RABid
but if I had to choose just one it would be the Kronos. Mainly because of the lack of MIDI input routing, but also because of the organ patches.

Did you here these organ samples for the Montage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-1C3bFdxac

Not nearly as good as Kronos, based on that demo, not even counting the technical limitations like having only 8 sliders for 9 drawbars, which work the wrong direction besides. Sample-based organs also have phase and polyphony issues.

#2885802 - 10/18/17 11:15 PM Re: Korg Kronos vs Yamaha Montage [Re: AnotherScott]
theshinenz Offline

Not sure why people rave about the Kronos Organs either, IMO both the Montage and Kronos organs are ok but not great. I own a Montage and have owned quite a few Kronos I find the Blue3 Vst better than both for a budget friendly option.

#2885884 - 10/19/17 08:18 AM Re: Korg Kronos vs Yamaha Montage [Re: theshinenz]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: theshinenz
Not sure why people rave about the Kronos Organs either, ...

We are not claiming that the Kronos organs sound better or even as good as a clonewheel. But they do sound better than what you get from any other ROMpler workstation all around keyboard for stage. Yes I know the Nord stage has a better organ, but it is no Kronos when it comes to fulfilling all your stage sound needs.

#2885902 - 10/19/17 09:24 AM Re: Korg Kronos vs Yamaha Montage [Re: RABid]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I like the Motif organ ..... a lot. They make the best base pad sounds for Pop organ based pad sounds. The D-50 was pretty good also but sometimes the extra warble made them inferior to the more stripped down Motif tones.

I use the Kronos tonewheel sounds on Price Tag. It works really well for with no leslie effects at all. Ala tone cabinet or full stop type sound but the Kronos preset leslie effects over do it on the amp noises. It is to the point of being distracting.

But if I want to play Hammond parts .... they all suck.

Edited by CEB (10/19/17 09:27 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner