Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT Bikes

I tuned up my bike. The brakes are good and the derailleurs are shifting smooth. There have been some neat gear and accessory changes since I last rode. For one, insulated water bottles. We didn't have those before. I hit the local shop. Shoes have doubled in price but you can get into carbon road frames for a lot less now. I bought a larger fancy quick release seat bag but the quick release mounting bracket will not fit because the rails on my Selle San Marco saddle is too narrow. Maybe it will work on my Gary Fisher.

Maybe I can find some sort of tube mounted bag. I would like to not mess with a back pack. The thing that surprised me is I bought batteries for the Cateye cycloputer but the batteries are still working. It has been about 10-12 years.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/CEB2/49F85C09-E65F-43B6-B4C5-1B97CF1CDC49_zpsa3yjlscp.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/CEB2/5F05235E-F12F-4782-8E50-3E207C454EC2_zps6hl5dkbi.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my bike. Stevens Xenon, fully carbon. Campagnolo gear group. Now have it for about 4 months. Very happy with it! This summer I'm going to cycle the "Mont Ventoux" with it!

IMG_0827.jpg

Rudy

Great idea for a thread Ed!! :2thu:

Here is my bike. My experience with bikes is possibly not typical. I was not allowed to have one as a child, so never learned to ride one. My first real experience with one was, aged 18, when I was invited to take part in a biking weekend in Calais. I really wanted to, so I said "yes", neglecting to mention that I didn't know how to ride one. How difficult can it be, I thought?

Turns out that, in heavy traffic on unfamiliar roads, the answer to that question is: "extremely". Added to this the shock to my body of using muscles which it did not know it had..... That weekend had its challenges.....

Nevertheless, I survived. About three years ago I got my first mountain bike.

Mountain biking is one of my favourite outdoor activities. I found it extremely scary for at least the first year - (I think cycling is a bit like playing the piano: if you don't learn as a child it is much much harder) - but also enormous fun. So I gritted my teeth and persevered.

My bike may possibly be different to everyone else's because it has mud guards. I must say that I cannot understand why they are so unfashionable...... I would not want to be without mine.

I love my bike: It is a delight to ride - really comfortable and lightweight, and sometimes it gives me a feeling similar to the thrill I get from roller coasters. :)

image.jpg

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Here's my ride, a Schwinn Voyageur GS. Very comfortable bike, however...

I absolutely am uncomfortable with traffic, of any kind. No motor vehicle operator around here knows how to keep at least a 3-foot air cushion between them and the cyclist. It's just not safe to ride around here. Unfortunately, as I'm unable to drive due to a mental disability, the bike is my main mode of transportation.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k193/justinhavu/IMG_20160623_0950581.jpg

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Funny a thread about bikes show up. Just yesterday I was cleaning my two bikes with the thought of selling or trading them in on a new one.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr1/wdmcmahan/Cannondale%20Silk%20Path%20500_zps8icpd7m9.jpg

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr1/wdmcmahan/Schwinn%20Le%20Tour%20III_zpsjbnrierw.jpg

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Vintage steel Eddy Merckx. Purchased new in 1985 at Two Wheel Transit Authority in Huntington Beach, CA.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/2628713646_e4b795b6b8_m.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3054/2628714266_a2ef4f1275_m.jpg

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Here in the urban burbs around NYC - suburbs with too many dang people, homes, and cars I've been riding this little pleasure. 3 speed is plenty for mostly flat roads and the occasional hill (but it also comes in 7 and 8 speed). Seat is set back so you are actually pedaling with legs in front of you a bit, and the raised handle bars let you keep your back straight. Aluminum frame is very light. All cables are run through the frame. Fenders and front/rear LED lights are optional. Love it. Made by http://www.electrabike.com/ Model: Townie. It's good to get out from behind the keyboard!

http://www.backpacking-united.com/media/catalog/product/cache/20/image/650x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/e/l/electra_asset_228713/electra-original-3i-eq-mens-satin-graphite-30.jpg

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Anyone ever see one of these? Unique styling and extremely pricey ($4500 US).

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/news/2015/02/20/1424441287168-1vcjjzd3eodmq-960-540.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I was not allowed to have one as a child, so never learned to ride one. My first real experience with one was, aged 18, when I was invited to take part in a biking weekend in Calais. I really wanted to, so I said "yes", neglecting to mention that I didn't know how to ride one. How difficult can it be, I thought?

Turns out that, in heavy traffic on unfamiliar roads, the answer to that question is: "extremely". Added to this the shock to my body of using muscles which it did not know it had..... That weekend had its challenges.....

Nevertheless, I survived.

Nice bike!

I didn't learn how to ride a bike until May, 2015, when I completed a "how to ride" class taught by WABA (Washington Area Bicycling Association). My first bike is a Breezer Uptown 8, which I bought because it was on sale and seemed to come with accessories that looked useful for commuting to work by bike: fenders, rack, hub-powered lights. I later had a trekking handlebar installed to get more hand positions, which turned out to be a very nice-to-have for 25-mile round trip commutes. The stock handlebar had only one grip position.

Riding with colleagues, participation in several beginner-level group rides, and WABA's Confident City Cycling class gave me useful skills and confidence for street riding. The best experience so far in my young cycling career was the Halloween group ride in which riders decorated their bikes with festive lighting and rode around like a parade, with cheers from drivers and people on foot alike.

Here's the Uptown 8, with one loaded pannier, taken at National Mall on the way to work:

6460_uptown8newtape_1.jpg

Interesting that this thread popped up since I've been shopping for a bike. What a re-learning experience it has been!

I'm finding that your cheap bikes are found somewhere like a Walmart/Target from $100-$300. The next step up seems to be $250-$500 from sporting goods stores like Dick's, otherwise our local Sports Authority stores are all on "mock clearance" since they are bankrupt. Any other store that was the word bike/bicycle in its name seems easily $500 and on up... outta my price range.

I'm shooting for a nice hybrid (road/mountain) in the middle class... something to go ride with the kids once in awhile and assist with working off the dad bod. I'd love to find a Craigslist or garage sale deal, but it's really hard to find exactly what I'm looking for.

I'd welcome any ideas for stores in the Dick's price range, or even good brands for hybrid bikes and features to prioritize. I've done my share of internet searching and reading, but I value your opinions too.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

The next step up seems to be $250-$500 from sporting goods stores like Dick's, otherwise our local Sports Authority stores are all on "mock clearance" since they are bankrupt. Any other store that was the word bike/bicycle in its name seems easily $500 and on up... outta my price range.

I'm shooting for a nice hybrid (road/mountain) in the middle class... something to go ride with the kids once in awhile and assist with working off the dad bod. I'd love to find a Craigslist or garage sale deal, but it's really hard to find exactly what I'm looking for.

I'd welcome any ideas for stores in the Dick's price range, or even good brands for hybrid bikes and features to prioritize. I've done my share of internet searching and reading, but I value your opinions too.

REI, while also known as a "sporting goods" type store, has a good reputation as a bicycle retailer too. They have their own in-house brand (Novarra) which is respected, and they also sell a couple of big-name brands (Cannondale, Diamondback). They have some stores listed in CO.

My boss recommended Jamis Coda Sport to me when I was shopping for my first bike. It's one of the bikes reviewed in this hybrid shootout article:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-hybrid-commuter-bike/

I was thinking of going with Trek 7.2 FX or Trek Allant (another flat bar bike, marketed as a "city/commuter bike" rather than as a hybrid bike) before I found the Uptown 8 on sale. I could have picked up a 7.2 FX on sale for about $350 new but when I added the cost of fenders, rack, and lights, the price got closer and closer to the Uptown 8's price. I really wanted to start bike commuting, not just riding the bike for working out, so I went in the "commuter bike" direction, though some peeps in the cycling community argue that "commuter bike" is just another marketing gimmick.

I later discovered the other type of road/mountain hybrid bike - cyclocross bikes. But I was intimidated by drop bars so I stayed away from 'cross bikes.

I didn't go the used route because I, too, didn't know what to look for.

Oh if there's a bicycling association or similar group in your area, check if it offers discounts at bike shops to members. In DC for example, WABA membership gets you 10% off accessories at just about all the area bike shops, and 5% off new bikes at a fair number of them. You might also find local bike shops that have sales on their own - August and winter time seem to be the best times to shop for a new bike. August because the cycling equivalent of NAMM happens and so shops want to clear out current year models for the next years. Winter because business tends to be slow at that time.

I would give local bike shops a shot. Just tell them what your budget is and they may have something used or prior year model on clearence. What you are getting from the shop is a proper assembly and setup. They may not have anything but it is worth a shot.

My one instance of bike buyer's remorse was my first hybrid. I didn't know what I really wanted and I bought Trek hybrid with rear cargo rack and a mountain style fork. The bike was heavy and the fork slowed it down but it was useless as a mountain trail bike. I wish I had gotten a hybrid with a road style fork or bought a proper hard tail mountain bike. My particular hybrid was a bike that did neither role very well. I should have gotten a hybrid that was more of a road bike that could attack potholes.

Cyclocross bikes are cool and they have been around longer than mountain bikes. A hybrid styled more like a cross bike would be cool.

Around here there is a sporting goods chain called Scheels that has a proper bike department. Some of their guys know what they are doing and they carry the whole Trek line as well as some lower cost brands but the main thing is they know how to properly assemble their inventory. A lot of the department store bikes are producer by the same Asian builder. Used to be Pacific bikes. Sort of like the piano business. A lot of good brand names from yesteryear are now produced in Asia as stencil brands.

I think the main thing is to decide if you ever want to do any Mountain Bike trail riding. If you do get a Mountain bike and if not a hybrid with a road fork or a cross bike. If you get a mountaiin bike get a hardtail. A suspension bike is going to get you nothing but a lot of weight unless you spend big bucks. For the riding you are planning on a rear suspension is of no use anyway.

Thanks for the tips and input, GovSilver and CEB... lotsa good food for thought!

There's an REI super-close to me. They've always come across to me as a high-priced store, but I'm sure their products are high-quality too. However, it can't hurt to go and have a look! REI looks like they have some really good resources and articles for education's sake too. Doesn't look like there are any Scheels near me.

CEB, I hadn't really paid attention to the fork details. I will check that out. I'm not sure how concerned I am with weight, but that's probably mostly from lack of experience. I would've thought I'd want suspension regardless for smoother ride? I'll do some more reading on this for sure.

Thanks, fellas!

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Hardtail mountain bikes have a suspension fork. That is cool. What I would avoid is a cheaper bike with a full supension like this.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4101inmJOSL._Mongoose%20Maxim%2026-Inch%20Dual-Suspension%20Mountain%20Bike_.jpg

Thanks for the tips and input, GovSilver and CEB... lotsa good food for thought!

There's an REI super-close to me. They've always come across to me as a high-priced store, but I'm sure their products are high-quality too. However, it can't hurt to go and have a look! REI looks like they have some really good resources and articles for education's sake too. Doesn't look like there are any Scheels near me.

REI has sales with some decent discounts a few times a year - usually Memorial Day and a couple other holidays. Also if you're an REI member you might get a member discount on some things. Actually right now, they are selling quite a few hybrid bikes in your price range (under $500):

REI hybrid bikes under $500

As for suspension, I defer to CEB's and Dave's experiences if you're really into the mountain biking thing. I don't live close enough to MTB trails to get serious about it on a regular basis.

I can report though that suspension has nothing to do with a smooth ride on roads and paved/asphalt trails - even trails with tree roots growing under the asphalt, roads being resurfaced, potholes, etc. I now have two bikes, and one of them smooths out those bumps without any suspension. Both bikes have wide tires - 1.75" on the Uptown 8, and 35mm on the Jamis Renegade. Wide tires that are not too inflated make a difference in smoothness, usually at the cost of speed (rolling resistance). Another factor is the design of the frame as well as the frame material. The Renegade makes you feel like you're riding on a nice carpet even on the bumpiest roads - I think you'd have to take it onto a real MTB trail to start feeling bumps. The Uptown 8 and its aluminum frame lets a lot more "chatter" through, but I haven't yet tried lowering the tire pressure under 55psi. The specs on the tires say I can go as low as 40 - it's not a quick-riding bike to begin with and I'd probably sacrifice even more speed by doing that, but the grip should improve.

Cycling wisdom says suspension robs you of pedaling power, but for certain types of mountain biking (eg. downhill MTB) people will opt for them.

Hardtail mountain bikes have a suspension fork. That is cool. What I would avoid is a cheaper bike with a full supension like this.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4101inmJOSL._Mongoose%20Maxim%2026-Inch%20Dual-Suspension%20Mountain%20Bike_.jpg

...or $9000 full-suspension mountain bikes like this one. ;) At least until you really know what you want and have the benjamins

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/downhill/sworks-demo-8/106995

Those bikes with the shock didn't exist when I rode last.

That said, how do you avoid wasting pedal energy compressing the shock? That seems weird to me!

My last bike was a Specialized Hybrid. MAN it was fast. I could do 50 kph on flat ground. I owned it for 9 and a half days. 1994? $63 a day that bike cost me. I hate thieves.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

You don't. Power transfer sucks on a full suspension bike. If you lock the suspension then you just have more weight. The only reason IMO to get one is if you intend to do some extreme riding. If that is your intent then you are looking at an expensive bike or it won't hold up.

Nice bike!

I didn't learn how to ride a bike until May, 2015, when I completed a "how to ride" class taught by WABA (Washington Area Bicycling Association).

Thanks Gov! :) Hearing that there is so done else who didn't learn to ride as a child he cheered me up no end. I always felt a bit of a freak because of that...... :crazy:

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Does somebody want to explain the allure of bikes with no coaster mechanism? I know a couple of bike fanatics who ride these things and crash them regularly trying to avoid pedestrians and stop at the bottom of hills.

Do you mean fixed-gear bikes?

Yes.

Moe

---