Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OT Bikes
#2786599 06/22/16 11:42 PM
CEB Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
I tuned up my bike. The brakes are good and the derailleurs are shifting smooth. There have been some neat gear and accessory changes since I last rode. For one, insulated water bottles. We didn't have those before. I hit the local shop. Shoes have doubled in price but you can get into carbon road frames for a lot less now. I bought a larger fancy quick release seat bag but the quick release mounting bracket will not fit because the rails on my Selle San Marco saddle is too narrow. Maybe it will work on my Gary Fisher.

Maybe I can find some sort of tube mounted bag. I would like to not mess with a back pack. The thing that surprised me is I bought batteries for the Cateye cycloputer but the batteries are still working. It has been about 10-12 years.

Last edited by CEB; 06/23/16 11:07 AM.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt
KC Island
Re: OT Bikes
CEB #2786604 06/22/16 11:57 PM
P
P
Nice Trek! My bike currently has a child seat between the handlebars and the rider's seat. Life is different with a toddler.

Pigmeat #2786616 06/23/16 01:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Yay, Trek FTW! Love the dual water bottles! wink

Here's my ride:

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
Kawai James #2786617 06/23/16 01:53 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Every time I try and post a pic from FB it never works …so here's the link.

My Ti Potts 29er in it's finished state at Black Mountain Cycles in Point Reyes, Ca. Sept. of '14.
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...amp;oe=58011192

Owner Mike Varley suggested the components and did the build. Wheel building is his specialty so I had him make the custom wheels - Stan's NoTubes ZTR Arch EX rims with White Industries MI6 hubs.

It's XT group with the Ti Potts stem, Eriksen "sweet post", Fox XC 100mm fork, Schwalbe Rocket Ron tubeless tires, Chromag Trailmaster saddle and I switched out the grips to the Ergons.

It accelerates and climbs like a rocket ship. And eats the dry, loose, rocky and rutted fire roads and trails of SoCal for breakfast. cool

Dave Ferris #2786624 06/23/16 03:08 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Here's my bike. Stevens Xenon, fully carbon. Campagnolo gear group. Now have it for about 4 months. Very happy with it! This summer I'm going to cycle the "Mont Ventoux" with it!

Rudy

RudyS #2786627 06/23/16 03:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Woah!

Look at the height of that seat post? Dutch guys are bloody tall!

Kawai James #2786628 06/23/16 04:03 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Haha, I am just an average guy here with my 1.83m.

Rudy

RudyS #2786632 06/23/16 06:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Great idea for a thread Ed!! twothumbs

Here is my bike. My experience with bikes is possibly not typical. I was not allowed to have one as a child, so never learned to ride one. My first real experience with one was, aged 18, when I was invited to take part in a biking weekend in Calais. I really wanted to, so I said "yes", neglecting to mention that I didn't know how to ride one. How difficult can it be, I thought?

Turns out that, in heavy traffic on unfamiliar roads, the answer to that question is: "extremely". Added to this the shock to my body of using muscles which it did not know it had..... That weekend had its challenges.....

Nevertheless, I survived. About three years ago I got my first mountain bike.
Mountain biking is one of my favourite outdoor activities. I found it extremely scary for at least the first year - (I think cycling is a bit like playing the piano: if you don't learn as a child it is much much harder) - but also enormous fun. So I gritted my teeth and persevered.

My bike may possibly be different to everyone else's because it has mud guards. I must say that I cannot understand why they are so unfashionable...... I would not want to be without mine.

I love my bike: It is a delight to ride - really comfortable and lightweight, and sometimes it gives me a feeling similar to the thrill I get from roller coasters. smile

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" wink Bluzeyone
xKnuckles #2786642 06/23/16 11:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member
Here's my ride, a Schwinn Voyageur GS. Very comfortable bike, however...

I absolutely am uncomfortable with traffic, of any kind. No motor vehicle operator around here knows how to keep at least a 3-foot air cushion between them and the cyclist. It's just not safe to ride around here. Unfortunately, as I'm unable to drive due to a mental disability, the bike is my main mode of transportation.

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD/Behringer DeepMind12, Model D/Roland RD-1000
justin_havu #2786648 06/23/16 11:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Funny a thread about bikes show up. Just yesterday I was cleaning my two bikes with the thought of selling or trading them in on a new one.

Wm. David McMahan
I Play, Therefore I Am
DaveMcM #2786665 06/23/16 12:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
Vintage steel Eddy Merckx. Purchased new in 1985 at Two Wheel Transit Authority in Huntington Beach, CA.

Last edited by Shamanzarek; 06/23/16 12:22 PM.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact
Shamanczarek #2786671 06/23/16 12:29 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
That Merckx is a classic, which you probably already know. wink

Hold onto that one ! thu

Dave Ferris #2786673 06/23/16 12:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
This is my kind of OT thread! Some very nice bikes here - I'll have to find a pic of mine to post. Road cycling has been a healthy obsession for me over the last few years.

Dave Ferris #2786675 06/23/16 12:41 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Here in the urban burbs around NYC - suburbs with too many dang people, homes, and cars I've been riding this little pleasure. 3 speed is plenty for mostly flat roads and the occasional hill (but it also comes in 7 and 8 speed). Seat is set back so you are actually pedaling with legs in front of you a bit, and the raised handle bars let you keep your back straight. Aluminum frame is very light. All cables are run through the frame. Fenders and front/rear LED lights are optional. Love it. Made by http://www.electrabike.com/ Model: Townie. It's good to get out from behind the keyboard!

Live: Casio PX-560, Roland VR-700
Home: Rebuilt 1910 Chickering 5'2", Fender Rhodes MKI 88k, Yamaha S90ES
CEB #2786705 06/23/16 02:26 PM
10k Club
10k Club
Anyone ever see one of these? Unique styling and extremely pricey ($4500 US).

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.
xKnuckles #2786710 06/23/16 02:41 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: xKnuckles
I was not allowed to have one as a child, so never learned to ride one. My first real experience with one was, aged 18, when I was invited to take part in a biking weekend in Calais. I really wanted to, so I said "yes", neglecting to mention that I didn't know how to ride one. How difficult can it be, I thought?

Turns out that, in heavy traffic on unfamiliar roads, the answer to that question is: "extremely". Added to this the shock to my body of using muscles which it did not know it had..... That weekend had its challenges.....

Nevertheless, I survived.

Nice bike!

I didn't learn how to ride a bike until May, 2015, when I completed a "how to ride" class taught by WABA (Washington Area Bicycling Association). My first bike is a Breezer Uptown 8, which I bought because it was on sale and seemed to come with accessories that looked useful for commuting to work by bike: fenders, rack, hub-powered lights. I later had a trekking handlebar installed to get more hand positions, which turned out to be a very nice-to-have for 25-mile round trip commutes. The stock handlebar had only one grip position.

Riding with colleagues, participation in several beginner-level group rides, and WABA's Confident City Cycling class gave me useful skills and confidence for street riding. The best experience so far in my young cycling career was the Halloween group ride in which riders decorated their bikes with festive lighting and rode around like a parade, with cheers from drivers and people on foot alike.

Here's the Uptown 8, with one loaded pannier, taken at National Mall on the way to work:

GovernorSilver #2786721 06/23/16 03:25 PM
H
H
Interesting that this thread popped up since I've been shopping for a bike. What a re-learning experience it has been!

I'm finding that your cheap bikes are found somewhere like a Walmart/Target from $100-$300. The next step up seems to be $250-$500 from sporting goods stores like Dick's, otherwise our local Sports Authority stores are all on "mock clearance" since they are bankrupt. Any other store that was the word bike/bicycle in its name seems easily $500 and on up... outta my price range.

I'm shooting for a nice hybrid (road/mountain) in the middle class... something to go ride with the kids once in awhile and assist with working off the dad bod. I'd love to find a Craigslist or garage sale deal, but it's really hard to find exactly what I'm looking for.

I'd welcome any ideas for stores in the Dick's price range, or even good brands for hybrid bikes and features to prioritize. I've done my share of internet searching and reading, but I value your opinions too.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;
Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay
hatricklov #2786736 06/23/16 04:11 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: hatricklov
The next step up seems to be $250-$500 from sporting goods stores like Dick's, otherwise our local Sports Authority stores are all on "mock clearance" since they are bankrupt. Any other store that was the word bike/bicycle in its name seems easily $500 and on up... outta my price range.

I'm shooting for a nice hybrid (road/mountain) in the middle class... something to go ride with the kids once in awhile and assist with working off the dad bod. I'd love to find a Craigslist or garage sale deal, but it's really hard to find exactly what I'm looking for.

I'd welcome any ideas for stores in the Dick's price range, or even good brands for hybrid bikes and features to prioritize. I've done my share of internet searching and reading, but I value your opinions too.

REI, while also known as a "sporting goods" type store, has a good reputation as a bicycle retailer too. They have their own in-house brand (Novarra) which is respected, and they also sell a couple of big-name brands (Cannondale, Diamondback). They have some stores listed in CO.

My boss recommended Jamis Coda Sport to me when I was shopping for my first bike. It's one of the bikes reviewed in this hybrid shootout article:
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-hybrid-commuter-bike/

I was thinking of going with Trek 7.2 FX or Trek Allant (another flat bar bike, marketed as a "city/commuter bike" rather than as a hybrid bike) before I found the Uptown 8 on sale. I could have picked up a 7.2 FX on sale for about $350 new but when I added the cost of fenders, rack, and lights, the price got closer and closer to the Uptown 8's price. I really wanted to start bike commuting, not just riding the bike for working out, so I went in the "commuter bike" direction, though some peeps in the cycling community argue that "commuter bike" is just another marketing gimmick.

I later discovered the other type of road/mountain hybrid bike - cyclocross bikes. But I was intimidated by drop bars so I stayed away from 'cross bikes.

I didn't go the used route because I, too, didn't know what to look for.

Oh if there's a bicycling association or similar group in your area, check if it offers discounts at bike shops to members. In DC for example, WABA membership gets you 10% off accessories at just about all the area bike shops, and 5% off new bikes at a fair number of them. You might also find local bike shops that have sales on their own - August and winter time seem to be the best times to shop for a new bike. August because the cycling equivalent of NAMM happens and so shops want to clear out current year models for the next years. Winter because business tends to be slow at that time.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 06/23/16 04:25 PM.
hatricklov #2786744 06/23/16 04:45 PM
CEB Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
I would give local bike shops a shot. Just tell them what your budget is and they may have something used or prior year model on clearence. What you are getting from the shop is a proper assembly and setup. They may not have anything but it is worth a shot.

My one instance of bike buyer's remorse was my first hybrid. I didn't know what I really wanted and I bought Trek hybrid with rear cargo rack and a mountain style fork. The bike was heavy and the fork slowed it down but it was useless as a mountain trail bike. I wish I had gotten a hybrid with a road style fork or bought a proper hard tail mountain bike. My particular hybrid was a bike that did neither role very well. I should have gotten a hybrid that was more of a road bike that could attack potholes.

Cyclocross bikes are cool and they have been around longer than mountain bikes. A hybrid styled more like a cross bike would be cool.

Around here there is a sporting goods chain called Scheels that has a proper bike department. Some of their guys know what they are doing and they carry the whole Trek line as well as some lower cost brands but the main thing is they know how to properly assemble their inventory. A lot of the department store bikes are producer by the same Asian builder. Used to be Pacific bikes. Sort of like the piano business. A lot of good brand names from yesteryear are now produced in Asia as stencil brands.

I think the main thing is to decide if you ever want to do any Mountain Bike trail riding. If you do get a Mountain bike and if not a hybrid with a road fork or a cross bike. If you get a mountaiin bike get a hardtail. A suspension bike is going to get you nothing but a lot of weight unless you spend big bucks. For the riding you are planning on a rear suspension is of no use anyway.

Last edited by CEB; 06/23/16 04:50 PM.

CEB #2786755 06/23/16 05:32 PM
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club

Moe
---
"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com
mate stubb #2786764 06/23/16 06:06 PM
H
H
Thanks for the tips and input, GovSilver and CEB... lotsa good food for thought!

There's an REI super-close to me. They've always come across to me as a high-priced store, but I'm sure their products are high-quality too. However, it can't hurt to go and have a look! REI looks like they have some really good resources and articles for education's sake too. Doesn't look like there are any Scheels near me.

CEB, I hadn't really paid attention to the fork details. I will check that out. I'm not sure how concerned I am with weight, but that's probably mostly from lack of experience. I would've thought I'd want suspension regardless for smoother ride? I'll do some more reading on this for sure.

Thanks, fellas!

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;
Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay
hatricklov #2786768 06/23/16 06:26 PM
CEB Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Hardtail mountain bikes have a suspension fork. That is cool. What I would avoid is a cheaper bike with a full supension like this.

hatricklov #2786772 06/23/16 06:42 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
The fit is all important. Make sure the REI has knowledgeable people that would be qualified to size you. Around here, it's hit and miss.

We have so many dedicated bike shops to choose from, ranging from high end to entry level, to in between. That's where I've always shopped dating back to the early '80s. Of course with the exception of my most recent purchase of going with this custom builder.

I like that article Gov posted. I think around that $500 price point is about as low as I'd go with getting a quality bike that you'd want to keep for say 5 years, would want to ride and can have a fun experience on. If you get into it, like anything else, you can always upgrade.

My wife has about a 9 year old Trek hybrid that I think we paid around $420. The thing is heavy and rides like a boat anchor but she loves it. laugh She just tools around the neighborhood and Lacy pup and I run along side her. She has to take breaks on the hills as there are quite a few. It's all good fun though.

The frame and component technology have improved -lighter , better shifting etc- just like keyboards in most areas. So for around $500 you can get a pretty smoking starter bike.

Like I said in the other semi bike thread - I'm partial to steel and ti frames. Although for the road it's hard to beat carbon and depending on the frame, some aluminum.

hatricklov #2786776 06/23/16 06:53 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for the tips and input, GovSilver and CEB... lotsa good food for thought!

There's an REI super-close to me. They've always come across to me as a high-priced store, but I'm sure their products are high-quality too. However, it can't hurt to go and have a look! REI looks like they have some really good resources and articles for education's sake too. Doesn't look like there are any Scheels near me.

REI has sales with some decent discounts a few times a year - usually Memorial Day and a couple other holidays. Also if you're an REI member you might get a member discount on some things. Actually right now, they are selling quite a few hybrid bikes in your price range (under $500):
REI hybrid bikes under $500

As for suspension, I defer to CEB's and Dave's experiences if you're really into the mountain biking thing. I don't live close enough to MTB trails to get serious about it on a regular basis.

I can report though that suspension has nothing to do with a smooth ride on roads and paved/asphalt trails - even trails with tree roots growing under the asphalt, roads being resurfaced, potholes, etc. I now have two bikes, and one of them smooths out those bumps without any suspension. Both bikes have wide tires - 1.75" on the Uptown 8, and 35mm on the Jamis Renegade. Wide tires that are not too inflated make a difference in smoothness, usually at the cost of speed (rolling resistance). Another factor is the design of the frame as well as the frame material. The Renegade makes you feel like you're riding on a nice carpet even on the bumpiest roads - I think you'd have to take it onto a real MTB trail to start feeling bumps. The Uptown 8 and its aluminum frame lets a lot more "chatter" through, but I haven't yet tried lowering the tire pressure under 55psi. The specs on the tires say I can go as low as 40 - it's not a quick-riding bike to begin with and I'd probably sacrifice even more speed by doing that, but the grip should improve.

Cycling wisdom says suspension robs you of pedaling power, but for certain types of mountain biking (eg. downhill MTB) people will opt for them.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 06/23/16 07:00 PM.
CEB #2786781 06/23/16 07:07 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: CEB
Hardtail mountain bikes have a suspension fork. That is cool. What I would avoid is a cheaper bike with a full supension like this.

...or $9000 full-suspension mountain bikes like this one. wink At least until you really know what you want and have the benjamins

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/downhill/sworks-demo-8/106995

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 06/23/16 07:09 PM.
GovernorSilver #2786816 06/23/16 10:08 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Living in Colorado, you're in MTB paradise. The only other state that has as much riding in the dirt is Ca.. It's a whole other consideration and skill requirement then riding on the streets or even light trails. There's no shortage of info around..in fact probably too much to the point where it would confuse anyone. confused

This is most popular forum on MTN biking. Everything you'd ever want to know. laugh Like any forum, there are plenty of idiots but also some very cool, knowledgeable, giving people.
http://forums.mtbr.com/forum.php

I've only owned 3 MTBs since I first started riding in the Santa Monica mountains in the early '80s. I've borrowed friends or have test ridden dozens of MTBs though. From full suspension to hard tail to rigid fork on all the frame material - aluminum, titanium, steel and carbon. My favorite is Ti for the dirt. A tie between Steel and Ti for the road.

The bike I own now, the Potts 29er hardtail, I'd been gassing for since I first started riding trails and a friend lent me his Merlin (the first makers of ti mtn. bikes). Later on the Ti epiphany continued in the '90s when I first rode the, still popular today, Moots YBB.

I'm far from being an expert with regard to skill level …in fact I'm very conservative to the point of probably being very boring to your average Mtn. biker who is in it for the adrenaline/thrill factor.. laugh But I'm always thinking about my hands, fingers, arms and shoulders because of course the piano. wink

I stick to fire roads, double track and non-technical single track. If I come upon a section that looks sketchy, I have no pride. I get off and walk it through. I've had a few nasty crashes when I was younger taking chances and it messed with my playing and gigs big time. It's just not worth it. Plus the technical end of Mtn. bike riding is more about skill then fitness. No one ever got more fit by clearing a gnarly rock garden, or hopping over a log as opposed to doing a 2000' climb in 3 miles. wink

If you or anyone else is going to jump into that end of cycling, I'd do a lot of reading up. Things have changed dramatically from my first Mtn. bike in the '80s- the Specialized Stumpjumper.

There are different bikes for different styles of riding. The huge industry changes in the past 5-10 years are the new radical geometry (not really my thing as I'm old school) , the amount of travel of the shock and the departure from the stock 26" wheel size to the 29er, 27.5/650B. And now the "new thing" are the + sizes in the 650B & 29er. Again all of this is a lot to take in, easily to the point of confusion.

I've alway been what's considered a cross country rider (an extension of the road rider) , as I'm more into it for the fitness then the thrill of screaming downhill at 30mph. shocked cry

Basically the hard tail is the most versatile choice if you think you want to ride it on the road too. The FS can be really clunky, no matter how high end. Not to mention expensive to maintain with the two shocks. Of course riding a FS on the road is not its intended purpose.

I owned, until recently, what was considered at one time, one of the most popular and highest end FS bikes available- the Ellsworth Truth. Today they have long been considered passé by the younger generation, yet they still have their die hard fans. I paid $4200 for it in '05 and just sold it late last year for $800.

Fwiw I have just under 9K into my Potts. But between the Ellsworth and a bunch of gear I sold, that covered over half of it. I'm 63 now and God willing, I hope to be on that bike well into my '80s …both on the trails and street. A Ti or steel bike of that high quality is considered a "lifetime/forever bike".

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 06/24/16 08:52 AM. Reason: added thoughts
mate stubb #2786871 06/24/16 10:28 AM
10k Club
10k Club
Originally Posted By: mate stubb

Looks a bit Klingon. laugh

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.
Synthoid #2786886 06/24/16 11:32 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Those bikes with the shock didn't exist when I rode last.

That said, how do you avoid wasting pedal energy compressing the shock? That seems weird to me!

My last bike was a Specialized Hybrid. MAN it was fast. I could do 50 kph on flat ground. I owned it for 9 and a half days. 1994? $63 a day that bike cost me. I hate thieves.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3
Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H
Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9
Roland: VR-09, RD-800
WesG #2786895 06/24/16 11:55 AM
CEB Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
You don't. Power transfer sucks on a full suspension bike. If you lock the suspension then you just have more weight. The only reason IMO to get one is if you intend to do some extreme riding. If that is your intent then you are looking at an expensive bike or it won't hold up.

Last edited by CEB; 06/24/16 12:01 PM.

WesG #2786896 06/24/16 11:56 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: WesG

That said, how do you avoid wasting pedal energy compressing the shock? That seems weird to me!My last bike was a Specialized Hybrid.
Wes

The wasted energy happens mostly on the climb and it's referred to as "pedal bob".

When you "lock" a shock out on higher quality FS frames, you can certainly feel less bob but you still don't have the power transfer as you do on a hardtail.

And the real old school/hard core/purist guys that want ultimate pure transfer, always ride the rigid fork. I almost went with rigid on my Potts as his Type II fork is probably the most revered in the industry. But at 60 when I placed the order, I wanted to have the option of the 100mm shock for the rough downhills and rock gardens. Plus like I said, I want to be riding well into my '80s. The Fox Float 32 locks out on the road very nicely. Hard core pursuits will say it still isn't the same as rigid - well it isn't but they're 23 or 33 not 63. smirk

Btw Specialized has the same presence as Yamaha in our world. Both on the road and mountain.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 06/24/16 12:14 PM.
Dave Ferris #2786914 06/24/16 01:11 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Instead of REI, you may want to check out Performance Bicycle, they have a wide range of choices, are located everywhere, and are a dedicated bike shop. Worth looking at...though even better would be your LBS (Local Bike Shop).

GovernorSilver #2786957 06/24/16 04:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: GovernorSilver

Nice bike!

I didn't learn how to ride a bike until May, 2015, when I completed a "how to ride" class taught by WABA (Washington Area Bicycling Association).

Thanks Gov! smile Hearing that there is so done else who didn't learn to ride as a child he cheered me up no end. I always felt a bit of a freak because of that...... crazy

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" wink Bluzeyone
xKnuckles #2786961 06/24/16 04:07 PM
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Does somebody want to explain the allure of bikes with no coaster mechanism? I know a couple of bike fanatics who ride these things and crash them regularly trying to avoid pedestrians and stop at the bottom of hills.

Moe
---
"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

mate stubb #2786973 06/24/16 04:51 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Does somebody want to explain the allure of bikes with no coaster mechanism? I know a couple of bike fanatics who ride these things and crash them regularly trying to avoid pedestrians and stop at the bottom of hills.

Do you mean fixed-gear bikes?

GovernorSilver #2787018 06/24/16 09:13 PM
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club

Yes.

Moe
---

mate stubb #2787020 06/24/16 09:20 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yes.

Ok. I have no use for them myself, but found this article a fun read:

http://www.outsideonline.com/1929501/why-i-dont-ride-fixie

GovernorSilver #2787038 06/25/16 12:39 AM
I've been riding a Gary Fisher Big Sur I bought in 1997 all over Vegas, Utah, Colorado & now Tennessee. Last year on a biz trip to Vegas I rented a Santa Cruz Tall Boy - WOW! I had no idea how much bikes had changed in almost 20 years. New GAS for sure.

One of my favorite riders in one of my favorite videos;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShbC5yVqOdI

Yamaha P22 Upright / Nord Stage 2 SW73
Karl Sutton #2787045 06/25/16 01:18 AM
H
H
Wow, tons more advice... thanks, guys!

I'm not really in the mountain bike camp as I don't see myself using it to its full potential—I'm pretty tame. Yeah, go figure this Coloradoan doesn't get up into the mountains as much as I'd like, and while I'm at it gotta say I've only been skiing a couple times in my lifetime. Yeah, I'm that guy.

I'm thinking 90% road and 10% mountain in the way of the hybrid I'm after. Or at least just enough mountain to tackle when the concrete city trails/pavement turn to dirt or I need to take a shortcut across some rougher terrain.

Originally Posted By: Marzzz
Instead of REI, you may want to check out Performance Bicycle, they have a wide range of choices, are located everywhere, and are a dedicated bike shop. Worth looking at...though even better would be your LBS (Local Bike Shop).

Hey now, this looks promising... and less than a minute or two away from my local REI. I'd saw them when I was looking, but didn't get much further than their location-specific website. I pretty much chalked them up to being to high-end and expensive for me. Definitely the upper-bounds of my somewhat cheap price range, but I've read good things about the Diamondback models here. I AM an REI member, so that's worth checking out too.

Marzzz, but what do you mean when you say my local bike shop would be event better? Better in what way?

Fixies. I don't get 'em. Worst, stupidest kind of bike ever. Period. Had one when I was kid and my older brother by 10 years dared me to race him. Hopeless.

Originally Posted By: Karl Sutton
One of my favorite riders in one of my favorite videos;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShbC5yVqOdI

Wow. I thought his best trick was balancing and switching on the railroad tracks, then he topped that by riding a cable no wider than his tires... a freaking cable!!!

So here's a question... why don't websites list any straight-up MEN'S bikes? They say either Unisex or Women's. No disrespect to the ladies, I just don't get it.

Last edited by hatricklov; 06/25/16 01:23 AM.

hatricklov #2787057 06/25/16 02:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My old faithful:

hatricklov #2787058 06/25/16 02:44 AM
CEB Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Fixed gear bikes is what they race in velodromes. Racing bikes have a single fixed gear and no brakes. Nothing I would want to ride on the road.

hatricklov #2787060 06/25/16 02:53 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Marzzz, but what do you mean when you say my local bike shop would be event better? Better in what way?

A good, dedicated bike shop that is local to your area will be the best bet for helping you select and maintain your bike. Good ones are a lot more personal and can steer you in the right direction, so to speak. As always, beware of the upsell....!

Marzzz #2787064 06/25/16 03:37 AM
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member
Fixies have the attraction of being the most direct connection between bike and rider. Sometimes touted as the rawest and most true proof of the mettle of the rider. Bike messengers in SF often choose fixies, and that's no joke with the hills, traffic and pavement they have to navigate.

I have a fixie. It's a bear to ride because you get no respite. If the bike is moving, you're pedaling. I mounted a front brake, and only dare ride it around my suburban neighborhood - it's an enormous workout, especially compared to my road bike, which is a carbon fiber Giant TCR, all Dura-Ace and such.

"I'm not just untalented. I'm multi untalented."
timwat #2787135 06/25/16 06:08 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I would go with a single speed before one of those fixed gear bikes. It's safer and simply more fun.

I borrowed a Potts 29er SS that was two sizes too big for a few days, and it was incredible on the road. Also SSs lend themselves more to rigid forks on MTBs, which this fellow had in the Potts Type II.

I was thinking about going with the rigid and SS with the Potts until I got to the first steep hill of my normal trail that I ride by my house. I simply don't have the chops to climb this trail on a SS. I'm in the lowest gear with my XT 2X10 24/38 a good 70% of the time on this climb.

a view from the top

I went up there this morning. The trail head gate is 1.7 miles from my driveway. Kicked my butt as always. 52 minute climb. cry Started at 6:30 AM . It's perfect before the heat and sun get too intense. So lucky to live in an area like this. smile

Marzzz #2787310 06/26/16 08:37 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Marzzz

A good, dedicated bike shop that is local to your area will be the best bet for helping you select and maintain your bike. Good ones are a lot more personal and can steer you in the right direction, so to speak. As always, beware of the upsell....!

Yeah, a good local bike shop (LBS) is especially great for those who have not been riding bikes for a long time or are new to cycling. If you break something on your bike or even just have a question or two about it, a good LBS will give you the service you need without much of a wait. The one in my neighborhood has done stuff on my bike for me without charging a penny.

Some people avoid LBS because they assume the prices will be higher. This isn't always true. LBS's sometimes have sales too.

Also, you may have noticed Trek mentioned several times here. It's because Trek is a well-respected brand. And in my area, you can only find Treks at LBS's - not at big chains like REI or Performance Bicycles. Seems to be a similar deal with similarly respected brands like Jamis and Bianchi. You know that $350 Trek FX hybrid I mentioned? That's the price at my closest LBS.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 06/26/16 08:39 PM.
Dave Ferris #2787311 06/26/16 08:39 PM
.. my 2015 S works Tarmac.. Sram red, full carbon... i ride it like i stole it.. about 150-200 miles a week in good weather..

Last edited by zaj58; 06/26/16 08:41 PM.
zaj58 #2787348 06/27/16 12:59 AM
H
H
I ended up getting a Diamondback Insight 1 for $350 at Performance Bicycles. It seems comparable to the Trek FX. I had read really good reviews of them online. Took the kids out for a ride the same night and felt good about my purchase.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1185492_-1___000000

I also shopped Bicycle Village just before and they had Trek bikes as well. I thought they were chain since there's 5 in CO, but not sure if they're anywhere else. I'm pretty sure they were $400 and they didn't have much in stock. Not a huge difference in price, but the bike I ended up with just felt right.

Dave Ferris #2787349 06/27/16 01:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
I went up there this morning. The trail head gate is 1.7 miles from my driveway. Kicked my butt as always. 52 minute climb. cry Started at 6:30 AM . It's perfect before the heat and sun get too intense. So lucky to live in an area like this. smile

Wow, those views are breathtaking Dave!

hatricklov #2787430 06/27/16 11:44 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I ended up getting a Diamondback Insight 1 for $350 at Performance Bicycles. It seems comparable to the Trek FX. I had read really good reviews of them online. Took the kids out for a ride the same night and felt good about my purchase.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1185492_-1___000000

I also shopped Bicycle Village just before and they had Trek bikes as well. I thought they were chain since there's 5 in CO, but not sure if they're anywhere else. I'm pretty sure they were $400 and they didn't have much in stock. Not a huge difference in price, but the bike I ended up with just felt right.

My nearest Trek dealer is Spokes Etc. - it's a small chain of 5 stores, all in No. VA. Sounds similar to Bicycle Village. Spokes Etc. is unusual in that they also sell Specialized - apparently rare to see both brands in the same shop.

Congrats on your new bike purchase!

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 06/27/16 11:45 AM.
ElmerJFudd #2788165 06/30/16 02:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
Here in the urban burbs around NYC - suburbs with too many dang people, homes, and cars I've been riding this little pleasure....Love it. Made by http://www.electrabike.com/ Model: Townie. It's good to get out from behind the keyboard!

Thanks for the heads up on the Electra brand. I just picked one up. It's the Townie 21D. Road it last night after dark around the neighborhood and it is so much more comfortable than my other bikes. Sitting with a straight back, no pressure on my wrists, it's great.

Wm. David McMahan
I Play, Therefore I Am
DaveMcM #2788760 07/04/16 03:03 PM
CEB Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club

CEB #2788762 07/04/16 03:31 PM
CEB Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
I went for a ride this morning. Conditions were not great so I took my mountain bike. Good thing. One of the connector trails I took to get to main route was over grown. The main route was nice. I saw a plaque dedicating the trail to a guy I used to ride with on club rides. They installed bike service stations at the trailheads. The first four miles were miserable but I settled into the saddle and embraced the pain and it was fine after that.

Last edited by CEB; 07/04/16 05:02 PM.

CEB #2788767 07/04/16 03:49 PM
A
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
A
I suffered a DVT (blood clot) back in april. I was ready to get back riding but my wife nixed street riding with blood thinners on board, as there is too much risk of a wreck with motorists. Since I'm relegated to riding the trails (I mean the paved walking/biking sort, not off road) I wanted something with a more upright riding position. Picked up one of the Trek FX, the 7.2, and for my purposes it's a real nice bike....

area51recording #2788776 07/04/16 05:07 PM
CEB Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
The FX are nice bikes. Be careful on the blood thinners. If you are using clipless pedals and been away from riding it is easy to have a brain fart moment. If you are using regular platform pedals that may be a good thing.

CEB #2788785 07/04/16 05:52 PM
A
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
A
Yeah, no clipless on this bike....I figured the same thing

area51recording #2789503 07/08/16 06:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dunno why this doesn't embed, but I took this on a day that I rode my bike to work.

2011 Cannondale CAAD10

[img]https://goo.gl/photos/AwUkyu2t2QyiFiXXA[/img]

The purchase of this bike was my first return to bike riding since my freshman year of college, and my first foray into actual road cycling. If all goes as planned in this, my 5th year of road cycling, I'll surpass 5,000 miles ridden in 2016.

CEB #2789754 07/10/16 03:17 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, that's a great video. Saw it on the Radavist website:
http://theradavist.com/

I like how your Gary Fisher matches the bike station

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 07/10/16 03:17 PM.
GovernorSilver #2789757 07/10/16 03:31 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
WMATA's SafeTrack program hit the Metro line I ride to work this past week, so bike commuted two days in a row. It's just a preview of this coming work week, in which I'll be bike commuting 5 days in a row. I now have three moisture-wicking pieces of head gear that I wear under the helmet - an Art Crank cycling cap, Halo headband, and Halo skullcap - to minimize sweat dripping over my eyes. I plan to rotate them. In 90F evening commutes, they get saturated about 2/3 of the ride home. I plan to stop at one of the exercise stations along the trail I ride on, and wring out and hang-dry the head gear while I use the station.

I think I'm getting used to riding a full commute in a proper road bike posture. All of the saddles I've tried on the Renegade hurt my undersides when I was riding in a posture that was too upright, so the saddle wasn't supporting the parts of the pelvis it was designed to support. Now I'm working on riding with my hands on the drops and the hooks, to better take advantage of the variety of hand positions offered by drop bars. Riding on the hoods all the time was tiring out my hands.

DaveMcM #2789811 07/10/16 10:03 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: DaveMcM
Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
Here in the urban burbs around NYC - suburbs with too many dang people, homes, and cars I've been riding this little pleasure....Love it. Made by http://www.electrabike.com/ Model: Townie. It's good to get out from behind the keyboard!

Thanks for the heads up on the Electra brand. I just picked one up. It's the Townie 21D. Road it last night after dark around the neighborhood and it is so much more comfortable than my other bikes. Sitting with a straight back, no pressure on my wrists, it's great.

I missed this thread. I have the Townie 7D that I bought about 5 years ago and loved it for a few years. I stored it in the garage and kind of forgot about it, as I was getting most of my cardio exercise from running. My daughter is an avid mountain biker and she has a high-dollar Cannondale bike, while making fun of my '92 Trek bike and totally laughing at my "hipster" Townie.

I was just about to sell off the old Trek (which was nearly the best that money could buy in '92) as well as the "hipster" Townie to get some kind of new road bike, but I took the Townie on beach vacation this past week and loved it! I had not really ridden it for a few years and it is a cool and comfortable bike!

eric #2819926 12/08/16 12:14 PM
CEB Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
The latest in Galactic Imperial technology.

CEB #3045173 05/21/20 04:28 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Bumping this old thread. In these times more people are on their bike more then ever ! Our house sits back and elevated off the street a little. Every time I look out during daylight hours, I see more bicycles, in addition to walkers and runners, then I ever have. It's literally like Grand central station out there. I like it !

Along with my running, it seems I'm riding a lot more too. Both the street and the newly opened Verdugo Mountain trails this week. I enclosed a shot of my pride and joy that I got 6 years ago -- a Steve Potts 29er MTB. Even on the street it's fun - less traffic doesn't hurt either- and doesn't feel like a clunky mountain bike. It really flies along, very stealthy feeling.

Attached Files
Image 2.jpg (406.94 KB, 70 downloads)
CEB #3045179 05/21/20 05:02 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Nice bike, Dave. I assume you a choice of full suspension but decided against it. Curious about your thinking on that.

I don't know how I missed this thread before. Yeah, biking has exploded, for some pretty obvious reasons. Here in Marin people are going nuts with it.

With small children I don't have time for 2+ hour rides, and what's the point of having a road or mountain bike if you can't do that. But I was commuting 17 miles each way every day on either my hybrid or, if I'm in a big rush, my electric. I actually think that's what I miss most about working from home. Riding across the Golden Gate Bridge twice a day doesn't suck.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Subsequent 37, Roland VR09, Yamaha P121
Traveling: Yamaha MX49, Reface CP and CS
Home: Vintage Vibe 64
Dave Ferris #3045205 05/21/20 08:00 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Along with my running, it seems I'm riding a lot more too. Both the street and the newly opened Verdugo Mountain trails this week. I enclosed a shot of my pride and joy that I got 6 years ago -- a Steve Potts 29er MTB. Even on the street it's fun - less traffic doesn't hurt either- and doesn't feel like a clunky mountain bike. It really flies along, very stealthy feeling.

Nice looking bike!

In the intervening time between 2016 and now, I continued the hour each way bike commute, splitting time between the Renegade and the Breezer Uptown 8. Then I changed jobs and the commute shortened to 35 min. each way. Then I changed jobs again and the commute got cut in half again to 12-15 minutes. Loved the short ride, but at this latest job I could only park my bike outdoors, so the Renegade's been gathering dust. Now I'm between jobs again and shopping for neck gaiters, so I have something I can wear around my neck and quickly pull over my face if I have to pass within 6' of anybody.

CEB #3045218 05/21/20 09:10 PM
10k Club
10k Club
Need to get my bike serviced. The tires keep going down. I have not ridden in 3 years. My local bike shop closed a year after I bought my bike. Closest shop is now about 30 miles away. It is a Marin Dual Sport San Rafael 3.

This post edited for speling.
Adan #3045358 05/22/20 08:02 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Thanks Gov. Both of you guys - that's a serious commute. Impressive !

Originally Posted by Adan
Nice bike, Dave. I assume you a choice of full suspension but decided against it. Curious about your thinking on that.

I don't know how I missed this thread before. Yeah, biking has exploded, for some pretty obvious reasons. Here in Marin people are going nuts with it.

With small children I don't have time for 2+ hour rides, and what's the point of having a road or mountain bike if you can't do that. But I was commuting 17 miles each way every day on either my hybrid or, if I'm in a big rush, my electric. I actually think that's what I miss most about working from home. Riding across the Golden Gate Bridge twice a day doesn't suck.

Adan - I'd owned an Ellsworth Truth FS bike in the past. When I bought it it was considered cutting edge but it's ancient tech compared to today. I've demoed quite a few different FS models years back but basically I'm not at all a fan of the look of the new FS bikes. The geometry is such that is intended mainly for bombing downhill faster and to coin the term today - 'shred' more technical terrain.

Imo no one ever got more fit doing either. wink Plus, I feel FS bikes get clunky feeling with age, also there's more parts to keep up with maintenance wise. I'm in it for an alternate workout from running. Get the heart rate up, stay off the street away from the cars and don't crash.

My MTB skills are limited and I want to keep them that way. I ride non-technical fireroads or double-track and I'm very conservative going downhill. In my experience, the faster you get, the more you challenge yourself, both downhill and tackling technical single track. I have too many years and hours invested in my hands, and know too many people that have gotten major f***ed up pushing the envelope. In fact a guy I used to ride with, a Trombone player that was in the Leno house band, crashed and severly injured his back.. He was a highly skilled rider and was always pushing it, riding with other like guys. He had to take an extended leave from the show, it cost him well into 6 figures. When he was finally able to come back, Leno had called it quits. Probably had one of the highest paying jobs for a Trombone player ever !

Most of my rides are 90 minutes in the Verdugo Mountains behind my house. Occasionally I'll stretch it to two hours going all the way across the Verdugo range into Burbank, turn around and come back.

I simply love the feel of a quality Titanium Hardtail ! I've wanted one my since I rode a Merlin in the early 80s. Definitely a *forever* bike.

CEB #3045515 05/23/20 07:23 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Back home after a nice ride in the Verdugos. A lot of people on the Beaudry North trail though.

Attached Files
Image 1.jpg (247.98 KB, 47 downloads)
CEB #3045565 05/24/20 02:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I love riding my bike. It's a ~1995 Gary Fisher that I've converted into a hybrid (with road-friendly tires, trigger shifters, new grips, etc).

I once thought about getting a new one, but there is something about my current ride that is really comfortable.

It's such a great way to get exercise and fresh air, without realizing you're getting exercise.

Todd

Sundown

Just Finished: Condensation; Two Button Press
Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Fishing in Kingsbury
Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361
DAW Platform: Cubase
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner 

Link Copied to Clipboard