Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA-06 and FA-08

Hi all,

First time posting on the forums. I have a FA-08 that I use for both pads and organ sounds in the church band.

My question is this: What is the most ergonomic way to switch between the fast and slow Leslie effect?

Currently, I've set up the effect to latch on the S1 key, but it is a bit of a stretch at the end of the keyboard, and I have to take one hand off the keys. I would like to use a pedal to switch on/off the effect, but most keyboard-specific pedals are momentary. Is there a way to configure a momentary pedal to switch between fast and slow Leslie, or do I need to buy a more expensive latching pedal?

I'm open to other solutions if you've got them*, and I apologize if there is a simple method to do this that I couldn't figure out!

Thanks,

Brandon

*Note: I'd prefer not to buy a nice but pricey Leslie-simulator like the RT-20.

• 3 months later...

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi chaps, sorry to bump an old thread but it was an excellent resource when I bought my FA08, and now I wanted to add a link to my video review series.

Apologies for my terrible presentation skills, perhaps this will improve with time and practice... :) To compensate, the playing is not too shabby and I made an effort to capture a good quality audio recording of the instrument.

If you are considering the FA for it's acoustic or electric pianos then these vids might be informative and worth a watch. In upcoming episodes I will dig into the clavs, organs and synth tones.

cheers!

hang out with me at woody piano shack

My review of the tonewheel organs is up, the FA is as far as I am aware the only workstation in this price range to include a clonewheel organ. I believe it's basically the same old Roland VK emulation rebranded as "SuperNATURAL". It does a pretty decent job and I think this is captured in the video. I know a lot of guys are passionate about tonewheel emulations on this board so hopefully you will find it interesting!

hang out with me at woody piano shack

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So after a crappy experience with the VR09 I traded it in for an FA06 (approx 14 months ago)

I've gigged with the FA on several occasions as my upper synth/organs board (I've got an SV-1 on the bottom covering stage piano, electric piano, and clavs). Previously I used an Alesis Ion for my top board and while its organs certainly couldn't compare to the "not quite clone wheel" quality of the FA, the Ion allowed me to effectively map any parameter I wanted to the pitch wheel or two modulation wheels - resulting in Nord morph "like" affects.

Then steps in the FA. It's got decent organs (apart from some jaw dropping functionality omissions), but all in all for my purposes which includes performing live, I am unimpressed with the Supernatural synths. Not necessarily the sound quality, but rather I am unimpressed with the inability to assign synth parameters via cc to pitch/mod paddle, buttons, and knobs when used in a performance setting.

Obviously we all know that there is no good quality cost effective available solution for adding drawbar controllers to the supernatural organ, but also, unless I am completely missing the boat, it is not possible to assign controllers to any destinations in the supernatural synths - rather can only assign controllers to destinations of the current MFX effect.

So for instance, if I want use the pitch/mod joystick to change filter cutoff/resonance, etc on a Supernatural synth patch, I am out of luck. Not going to happen. Likewise I can't assign a knob to a CC to control key tracking on the filter.

I've found that really any of the cool performance options provided by the FA06 are only available if I'm willing to utilize the dated sound gen tech employed in Roland's earlier boards - which totally bums me out. Don't get me wrong, many of these still rock - it just puzzles me to no end that Roland releases a new product which much improve sounds but forgot to give us even 30% of the control we previously had to modify the old synth parameters in a live setting.

Hopefully one of you will tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about and all is indeed possible on the FA (without using the touchscreen - using that in a live situation to control parameters is a nonstarter and accident waiting to happen). But I'm not holding my breath. But it would sure be cool...

actually you can assign anything to the knobs, there is one setting in that matrix that is user parameters. You have to go into the studio set setup and assign them there.

Page 39 and 99 of the manual.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I just watched the Youtube video of the organ function. One thing that was missing was the C/V effect. Is that missing on the synth entirely? They abandoned the 76 note version on this one too, which seems to be a feature many keyboard players desire but manufacturers are ignoring lately.

I just watched the Youtube video of the organ function. One thing that was missing was the C/V effect. Is that missing on the synth entirely? They abandoned the 76 note version on this one too, which seems to be a feature many keyboard players desire but manufacturers are ignoring lately.

Here Here, I echo your 73/76 Trumpet! the only option for far too many models is a 61 or an 88 fully weighted.

Only top of line boards seem to bother with the mid-board. perhaps ironic as lower priced boards sell alot more units (to amortize development/tooling costs). I'm sure someone in the business development team does math on this, what do I know.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I just watched the Youtube video of the organ function. One thing that was missing was the C/V effect. Is that missing on the synth entirely?

I've never understood why this was omitted. Even the Jupiter's left it out. Frustrating. I add some tremolo and that works better than nothing. I compared it against my M3 and the rate and depth are close to the C3 setting. I also use the sub out for organs and route the sounds through a ventilator pedal (bypassing the internal sim). Sounds real nice.

actually you can assign anything to the knobs, there is one setting in that matrix that is user parameters. You have to go into the studio set setup and assign them there.

I wish this were the case. The problem is that the matrix is only available for the PCM sounds - not supernatural (synth and/or instrument). Realtime performance control assignments for the supernatural synths are virtually nonexistent - such a huge step back from the older PCM technology.

Re c/v - would love to know what Roland was thinking - something like - "hey guys, we absolutely cannot under any scenario cannibalize sales of the VR-09, so lets remove all physical realtime clone wheel controls. While we are at it, lets make sure that they can't assign any clone wheel controls. But we can't stop there, let's just remove a core piece of the clone wheel functionality altogether. Should we remove c/v or high trigger point? Why not both?"

I wish this were the case. The problem is that the matrix is only available for the PCM sounds - not supernatural (synth and/or instrument). Realtime performance control assignments for the supernatural synths are virtually nonexistent - such a huge step back from the older PCM technology.

Re c/v - would love to know what Roland was thinking - something like - "hey guys, we absolutely cannot under any scenario cannibalize sales of the VR-09, so lets remove all physical realtime clone wheel controls. While we are at it, lets make sure that they can't assign any clone wheel controls. But we can't stop there, let's just remove a core piece of the clone wheel functionality altogether. Should we remove c/v or high trigger point? Why not both?"

Its not only Roland that does these things, yamaha is also a champ at these things, even in their top of the line products...

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

As a note regarding Chorus Vibrato, if you download the EXP-02 Keys Collection from the Roland Axial site there are a few patches that feature Hammond organ with C/V.

I found them to be a very useful addition to my FA06!

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

• 5 months later...
Rik, yes, you can send program changes from the FA to the PC3. The limitation is that on the FA, there is no mapping of program numbers. Studio set 1 transmits to patch 1 of the external keyboard, 2 to 2, etc. You'll need to rearrange your PC3 sounds so when you send the program change from the FA, the right patch comes up on the PC3.

Could you get around that by using Songs on the FA?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 3 months later...
Could you get around that by using Songs on the FA?

No -- in fact (IIRC), selecting a song (unlike selecting a Studio Set) sends out no MIDI data at all.

According to the FA ref manual, you can embed MIDI Program Change messages as part of the Performance data in a track of a song. So in theory, I think you could create Songs that had no notes in them, but merely sent whatever Program Change you wanted to send. (You can also specify, for each track, whether MIDI data should be sent to the internal sound engine, an external sound module, both, or neither.) If anyone is up for trying this, I'd be curious to know how it works out.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 6 months later...

Hey, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this previously, but I found a YouTube Tutorial that show how you can load Integra synth soundsets into the FA-series workstations.

[video:youtube]

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Hello guys, I have a question. I plugged the headphones in the sub output jack, of my FA 08, but I can't hear anything. What should I do? Thank you! just that on the manual it put the headphones photo in that output, and I wanted to try it ...

I think you got this answered on the FA Facebook group? You have to route sounds to the sub output for anything to be heard.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• 5 months later...

Just had a shot of the FA-07. Feels like a completely different instrument to the 06. I know it is, but the sounds even sounded different.

On my 06 the EPs are pretty much unusable for my tastes. On the 07 keybed however, they played like butter and gave me Nord levels of satisfaction. Pianos responded well, and organ felt smooth and satisfying. Half tempted to sell the 06 for the 07, it felt that much more playable. Fatar semi-weighted synth action apparently.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I did exactly that a few months ago...sold my FA-06 to get an FA-07. It was definitely worth the investment. The keybed action and the expanded number of keys was a no brainer, especially with the enhanced functionality of part group selection with the latest OS. It's my upper tier kbd in my live rig (on top of a MOXF8). In fact, it's good enough where I'm thinking of ditching the MOXF8 and just using the FA-07 (single board rig with Mainstage).

Half tempted to sell the 06 for the 07, it felt that much more playable. Fatar semi-weighted synth action apparently.

I'd do it. You'll never look back! I tried my first 76-key synth as a teenager and lusted after one for years. That extra estate over my 5-octave boards was a real wake-up call..

I was so proud of my Ensoniq KS32 when I first got it. Heavy as anything, but an astonishing piano sample in 1MB.

Cheers, Mike.

Hi all,

First time posting on the forums. I have a FA-08 that I use for both pads and organ sounds in the church band.

My question is this: What is the most ergonomic way to switch between the fast and slow Leslie effect?

Currently, I've set up the effect to latch on the S1 key, but it is a bit of a stretch at the end of the keyboard, and I have to take one hand off the keys. I would like to use a pedal to switch on/off the effect, but most keyboard-specific pedals are momentary. Is there a way to configure a momentary pedal to switch between fast and slow Leslie, or do I need to buy a more expensive latching pedal?

I'm open to other solutions if you've got them*, and I apologize if there is a simple method to do this that I couldn't figure out!

Thanks,

Brandon

*Note: I'd prefer not to buy a nice but pricey Leslie-simulator like the RT-20.

Brandon, welcome to the forum, your post kinda got lost for a while in this huge thread! I am not at my FA06 right now but I know for sure you can assign a switch pedal to control Leslie fast/slow speed. I can take a look later and offer a solution when I am at my FA06 or maybe someone else will beat me to it. That being said, I am really not impressed with Roland's rotary effect on their organs and I purchased a Lester K (not too expensive, can find used <$160). I routed the supernatural organs (there is about 5 programs of these) out of the sub out (without internal effects) and into the Lester K. It made a BIG difference.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Half tempted to sell the 06 for the 07, it felt that much more playable. Fatar semi-weighted synth action apparently.

I'd do it. You'll never look back! I tried my first 76-key synth as a teenager and lusted after one for years. That extra estate over my 5-octave boards was a real wake-up call..

I was so proud of my Ensoniq KS32 when I first got it. Heavy as anything, but an astonishing piano sample in 1MB.

Cheers, Mike.

Ive been thinking about this FA-07 since it came out. I have an XF7 and MOXF6, the extra octave is nice.

On the flipside, the 6 can fly for free while the 7 usually costs $75 each way. I redesigned my set programs for my most frequent travel band to fit into the 6 layout, using more switching vs using more real estate. Now that i made the switch (same exact sounds), i use the 6 on local gigs too as its just easier to schlep in/out, it fits in a back seat horizontally, its less than half the weight, easier to one-hand on and off stage during fast set ups and strike ... etc etc.

FA-07 would be a great compliment for me and what i do. But then again, i think there might be something new and better coming out soon ... if I just wait a bit longer ... :)

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

• 10 months later...

I'm pulling this back up, rather than starting a new thread.

I am considering buying my buddy's fa 06, lightly used for a very good price. I went over and tried it out.

As a former owner of the vr700...I was *shocked* at the difference in the leslie. We went in and tried to deep-edit the thing, it sounded so bad. Like, the horn was "spinning" at double speed and in general sounded like an LFO. We turned off stereo spread since we were in mono. The lower sound was ok, it was mainly the upper that was so horrendous. This was "rotary 03" fwiw, the default one on the patch we were on. It's possible the others were better but none of the patches sounded any better. The underlying organ tone did sound like that from the vr700 though. AnotherScott did warn me in the modx thread that the leslie was different...I just wasn't expected it to be soooo bad.

This board is intended to replace a pc3, though for now I'd be using both. With that leslie and lack of draw-controls, and overdrive (though maybe I could map it to a knob) I'd have to keep using the pc3 primarily with organ.

All the other sounds were nice, even in mono, which was a concern. I liked the tap tempo, which will help hopefully with delays, and I'm hoping the vocoder is good as a nice extra. I wish it had more physical controls to help with part volumes, like the pc3 has.

Back to the leslie--I'm really considering a Lester K, even though I dislike adding more gear. The demos I heard sound nice, there was one in mono from a board member here, thanks for that! I suspect it would be far better than the Roland organ, and probably better than the pc3. Any thoughts? I'm not getting a vent, it would be most of the cost of what I'm paying for the fa06!

The unfortunate truth is that my buddy's Electro 5d was sitting below the fa06, and that didn't help me appreciate the Roland's organ sound! I think ultimately, if a work raise comes through, I'd like to end up with the Fa06, an electro, and the pc361 could retire to home studio duties before the screen craps out more than it has (I love the action).

Bottom line, everyone happy with their Fa?