Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stoopid with Tribal Tech

Scott Kinsey & Scott Henderson tearing it up as usually :) [video:youtube]

Badass would be an understatement :)

• Like 1

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

At the moment, this:

[video:youtube]

No keys, but possibly the best jazz album of 2016 so far. Always love Dejohnette, and teaming with Coltrane and Garrison was a brilliant idea. This is a flat-out amazing album/

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Steven_Wilson_Hand_Cannot_Erase_cover.jpg

I just recently (finally) picked up Grace for Drowning, I can't believe I waited so long, given how much I love Raven and Hand.

At the moment I am listening to the 2nd side of Suzanne Cianni's Buchla Concerts 1975. I'd ordered it on vinyl months ago, and when I got to work today, it was waiting for me! I'm not normally a vinyl fetishist, but this is only being released as a 180g pressing, no CD or download.

On first listen, I'm really digging it. So much of the (non-dance) music I hear produced on modulars lately falls into one of 2 camps: experimental atonal bleeps or Tangerine Dream-style endless sequencer loops. Not that there's anything wrong with either of those, mind you, I've been known to produce both. But what's cool about Cianni is the way she avoids those cliche, making music that is tonal and has harmonic/melodic interest and deals with some really interesting timbres as well.

Also, the LP includes a 9-page "Report to the National Endowment" paper, describing her approach with detailed patch diagrams, notation, and performance notes. I look forward to delving into this for inspiration.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Heard this dude's track on an Apple commercial last night. Super proud to say I knew him when.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Roxanne, by the Police. Then I have to play my last hour of this gig. :)

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I prefer Tom Cochrane's version.

I agree. Rascal Flatts is very wimpy.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I got home last night and was all set to watch the PBS fund drive rebroadcast of Simon & Garfunkel's Concert in Central Park that I had set up to record on my DirecTV DVR. Imagine my surprise when, even though it still said S&G, it turned out to be The Highwaymen: Willie, Waylon, Kris, & Johnny Cash live in, of all places, Long Island (Nassau Coliseum). I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I'm no fan of 'Outlaw Country'. They played truncated versions of their hits, and no one sang particularly well, but they had an obvious affection for one another, and that goes a long way.

Thanks for this! I was not familiar with Bernhoft, but this is fantastic.

The new Bernhoft EP is fire.

Dude is amazing. Definitely check out the EP and the last record. Also tons of YouTube goodness out there.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50