Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Memotron M2K vs Mellotron M4000D. Opinions wanted.

I believe I've wanted a Mellotron as long as I have known about their existence. In fact I almost bought one back in the early 80's, but backed out of the deal because it just did not seem to be a very reliable touring instrument. Anyway, my Mellotron fetish has never left me, and now that I am playing in a progressive rock style band I am checking out the newer digital options. And no, the software based things are just not my style so let's leave those out of the discussion.

Currently we have two to choose from, the Swedish Mellotron M4000D and the German Manikin Memotron M2K .

My problem is that I have no way to take these for a test ride or to compare them before I eventually purchase one, and there is not really a lot of information or comparisons to find on the net either to help me on the subject so I really need some help here.

If I got it right the Mellotron use HQ digital samples of the Mellotron and Charberlain Master tapes, while the Memotron use samples of the sound out of Mellotrones.

Hopefully someone here have tried them both or at least one of them and can tell about your subjective impressions of these instruments to help me make the right decision if I should go out of my mind and order one.

CP4 - Solaris - Kurzweil Forte - Minimoog -

- Mellotron M4000Dm - Motif rackXS - DX5 - SY99 - Rhodes 73 - HX3 - Hammond B3/2x147 - Montage7

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played both. Go with the M4000D. To me, there is really no comparison.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I have an M4000D and have compared it extensively with the Memotron. The Memotron is a definite second in the race.

Keyboard feel, quality of construction, quality of samples, quality of sound output and variety of outputs, all better on the M4000D.

I have also always wanted a real one and will be buying my first M400 on Thursday.............

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

You could always save money by going for the Mini version of the M4000D - depends on how important full authenticity of keyboard feel and form factor is to you. Plus, it says 'Mellotron' on the back. Remember, anything else is just a clone!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

The M4000D is based on the impeccable sample sets that David Kean has of the Mark II. Plus it is the most authentic non-tape based Mellotron with authentic feeling with a great user interface, Markus has done an amazing job with this instrument. Worth every cent!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

You are about to make my life miserable expensive. I was hoping someone would say the less expensive Memotron M2K was just as good as the Mellotron M4000D and that it would be a nice deal with the built in effects and so on. I was also expecting someone to say that the Mellotron sounds a little to "sterile" since what we hear are the master tapes without the "soul" from an actual Mellotron involved.

So let me ask, does the M4000D justify its higher price tag over the Mini? Sound wise they appear to be the same but the Mini has no real time control through after touch. Is that a feature you think I can live without or would it be wise to wait until I have the money to go for the best?

Thanks again.

CP4 - Solaris - Kurzweil Forte - Minimoog -

- Mellotron M4000Dm - Motif rackXS - DX5 - SY99 - Rhodes 73 - HX3 - Hammond B3/2x147 - Montage7

Differences between 4000 and Mini, as far as I'm aware, are the bigger (more traditional) cabinet form factor and a wooden keybed vs Fatar plastic keys. As far as aftertouch is concerned, the original didn't have it...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Not sure you need aftertouch as Aidan says: here's a review comparing them I found..

"Conclusions

Having previously worked with the M4000D and a vintage M400, I maintain that one of the special aspects of the instruments is inspiration; theres something about the combination of sounds that evokes realismcall it recordings of real people expressively instrumentswhile the mechanical limitations cause unexpected effects that give it a signature charm. The M4000D and Mini surely come as close as one can get to the vintage treasure, and in many ways add much-needed conveniences like portability, low maintenance, and instant access to up to 200 classic sounds (and live layering of any two).

Even at the lower price point than its big brother, the M4000D Mini is still a $2,000 boutique instrument. There are lower-cost sample-playback instruments that have user memory, more keys, effects, and modern keyboard-player features. One could also look at a Nord Electro, which has a large free library of official Mellotron sounds (reportedly using lossless compression), plus highly-rated organ and piano sounds, and hovers in the similar price range. However, there is something direct and elegant about a dedicated instrument like the M4000D Mini. For those with a passion for classic sounds and classic styling, the Mini will not disappoint.

PROS

High quality metal casing. Design and interface evokes classic Mellotron experience with modern conveniences. Expandable sound library. Instant layering of any two sounds. Lower price than M4000D.

CONS

Keys are not aftertouch-sensitive. Still could be considered pricey. Modified foot controllers required for some control features."

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Okay, while we're on the subject, what are the latest thoughts on IK's Sampletron vs Gforce's M-Tron Pro?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

screw them both! I have a mint M300 I will sell you for 10K

Okay, while we're on the subject, what are the latest thoughts on IK's Sampletron vs Gforce's M-Tron Pro?

I own SampleTron. It is 32 bit only, no upgrades to 64 bit. So now it's worthless to me. G Force software is dope. I own everything they make except for M Tron Pro ( which now I will be needing since I no longer have a Mellotron VST). M Tron Pro is certainly in my future. M400D is in my future if I win the lottery. :D

:nopity:

You could always save money by going for the Mini version of the M4000D

My friend has one of those. It's become her centerpiece instrument - she was previously known as a cellist. She plays locally under the name Mellow Diamond (usually accompanied by her husband on guitar and a drummer).

I think it sounds great.

[video:youtube]

:laugh: - I never got the Mellotron thing. I figured the Mellotron was relevant because that is all there was back in its day .... but it never went away. :cool:

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Nothing sounds like a Mellotron, especially the instruments it "sampled"!

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHJ7An2CMB4

Low Fi... Baby!

There was a time the Ensoniq Mirage sort of had a niche following in some Hip Hop circles because of the grainy gritty nature of those 8 bit samples. I don't know if this is still the case. I'm guessing with bit crushers and computers those days have now passed.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Low Fi... Baby!

Yes. That's it, isn't it? It doesn't sound like an orchestra at all. It sounds like a Moody Blues/ King Crimson record.

Exactly! Mellotrons have a distinctive sound mostly due to the state of the technology of the time...

I have the M4000D Mini. It's amazing and worth every cent. I've had mine a couple of years and am still finding new uses for it.

Key Master D

Kurzweil PC3(KORE64) & SP4-7, Mellotron M4000D Mini,Hammond XK1/Ventilator, MicroKorg XL, Oberheim OB3 Squared, Roland VR-09

Low Fi... Baby!

Yes. That's it, isn't it? It doesn't sound like an orchestra at all. It sounds like a Moody Blues/ King Crimson record.

Exactly! Mellotrons have a distinctive sound mostly due to the state of the technology of the time...

Lol!

That is truly awful and no wonder you lot across the pond think the English are quirky! :)

David Nixon was best known as a Magic Circle Magician BTW

Lol!

That is truly awful and no wonder you lot across the pond think the English are quirky! :)

Dude, you're no fun at all. :P That was awesome and you should be proud of your forebears. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Lol!

Dude, you're no fun at all. :P That was awesome and you should be proud of your forebears. :D

I have posted that many times before. It makes me laugh every time, I especially appreciate the end when the organist looks into the camera with that shit-eating smile quickly followed by the woman in the tophat sitting on the cock! So Amazingly Weird!

You can see where Monty Python came from........... :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'll chime in as I've recently bought the new Memotron M2K after much research.

First, both the Mellotron and Manikin sites are disasters! I had to email both Markus at Mellotron and Thorsten and Manikin to find out info that wasn't available on their sites. Thorsten answered me right away. It was only through scouring forums and Facebook groups I got all the info I needed.

I play in a NJ based Genesis tribute band covering the Seconds Out tour, and have been using M-Tron Pro with the Streetly expansions with a Receptor. We did our first show, 600+ sold out!, in April. I'm using a real RMI piano and ARP Pro Soloist, and the rest was plugins. Let's just say depending on vintage gear AND plugins on stage is scary! I was looking for more hardware to ease the load of the Receptor.

Our soundman is a Clair Bros. vet of Yes tours, plus he saw all the US Genesis tours of the 70s, and he's VERY critical of digital emulations. We decided I must have more flexibility and variety in regards to my Mellotron sounds.

I chose the M2K for its library of the most popular sounds. Having around 10 of the famous "3 Violins" sound is more vital than I would have thought. Now, in rehearsal, I can easily swap between Streetly's M400, Tangerine Dream's M400, King Crimson's MKII, and others to find the best EQ'ed version for each song. There are also quite a few versions of the "8 Choir" tapes.

Another draw of the M2K is the onboard effects. I need a big reverb on these Mellotron sounds that I don't need on the RMI, and my ARPs need tape delay.

Lastly, the M2K's FRAME options are great in a live setting. Take Genesis' "One For The Vine". All of my MIDI controllers are in use for this song. Now, with the M2K, I have the A/B/C tapes set to play always as a layer instead of crossfading across the dial. I have a 3 Violins in its original place across the keyboard. I can do those suspended chords Tony does at the beginning in the lowest octave. Then, when the big chords come in where Tony is playing two-handed on the record, I have a layer in the upper octave. Then, when the overdubbed "ah's" come in, I have the Fairlight's ARHH as a high velocity layer. I can do this all with my left hand while I play the RH piano part on Ivory with my Nord.

That said, there is very little info out there on the "new" M2K. The OS is the same as the M2D, with the FRAME/PLACE settings and the three levels of FX. It also has lost the CD drive and loads instantly. They do not have this on their site, incredibly!

EDIT: I should add that the build quality of the M2K is fantastic. It's lightweight to carry, but sits solidly without wiggling. It sits atop my RMI piano nicely without sliding around like my Novation Impulse 61 did previously. Also, the new M2K has 37 keys unlike the previous version. The M4000D non-Mini looks great with its wooden keys and XLR outputs, but with the new M2K at the same price point as the M4000D Mini, the M2K had more options I needed for this project: the many versions of the classic sounds, the effects, and the option to transpose and layer. If I wasn't in this band, I would have saved for a Streetly M4000!

HammondB3/M3/Leslie122, FarfisaCompact, RhodesStage88, Wurlitzer200A, HohnerClavinetE7/CembeletN, MoogMinimoogD/MP201, ArpSolina/ProDGX, KorgPoly800II/ARPOdyssey, RMI368, NordStage88, MemotronM2K

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that post. It's particularly helpful in light of the websites, as you noted.

I lucked into a used M4KD & a Mini at reasonable prices a while back and really like them. I have seen the M2K but honestly never looked in great detail since I was already in with the other company.

I think the different features you mentioned probably wouldn't benefit me too much for my particular uses, but I'd have to give them a hard look if I were a new buyer deciding between the companies.

It's also worth noting that the Mellotrons have some features that aren't on the website. E.g., you can choose the overall character of the sound (new tapes, classic eq (worn tapes), MkII, or Chamberlin), adjust motor modulation, choose the range and ramp time for the high/low octave switch, etc.

For anyone deciding between the M4K & the Mini, that's a close call. On the practical side, the M4K is a funny size and shape - essentially a square. So that may or may not fit in your setup. It's also a bit heavier. But the Mini is surprisingly heavy for its size - not that it's objectively heavy, just that it feels very solid and sturdy for such a small board.

If that's not an issue, the action is very significantly different. The M4K is very fast, light, and shallow, and is a constant tactile reminder that you're not playing a piano or organ clone. The Mini's action is fine, but has a generic Fatar feel.

Next I'd say is the aftertouch. Both keyboards have several settings for touch response. The Mini can be set to on/off or velocity sensitive, and then the M4K has two additional settings that respond to aftertouch. Personally, I appreciate the aftertouch when playing the M4K, but don't really notice its absence on the Mini.

Beyond that, the M4K has additional XLR outs (which I can't say I've used, since I pretty much always run it through effects). And the Mini jacks may not be gold plated (website is unclear) if that matters.

So IMO the M4K premium really comes down to the action and aftertouch as the main selling points. Otherwise, the Mini sounds the same (great) and is super compact.

It was certainly a tough choice for me between either of the Resch models and the M2K. Manikin really needs to get the word out about how much the new version is improved. They have with the tabletop M2D, but not the new M2K. The original model with the CD drive looked unappealing to me. It's also much better looking in person than the photos.

The M2K action is probably similar to the Mini. As cool as the non-Mini action seems, I told myself I wouldn't be shredding some hot licks on this instrument! I'll say it again - all this research has REALLY made me lust after a Streetly M4000! That looks and sounds like a dream machine.

If anyone with either of the Resch models is in the Northeast US and wants to meet up to play them side by side with my M2K, hit me up, I'm in southern NJ. You're welcome to swing by my studio, which if you check out my signature it's quite a vintage keyboard museum.

HammondB3/M3/Leslie122, FarfisaCompact, RhodesStage88, Wurlitzer200A, HohnerClavinetE7/CembeletN, MoogMinimoogD/MP201, ArpSolina/ProDGX, KorgPoly800II/ARPOdyssey, RMI368, NordStage88, MemotronM2K