Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so tempted but I wish there was playable demo. A limited time demo or a demo with keys disabled or one that cuts out periodically like VB3 had. That made it easy for me to pull the trigger. I got to play it. $100 is much more than I paid for vb3 and I need to play before I buy.

I don't think you'll have a problem but I just thought of a deal for you. Use me for your demo. If it doesn't work for you I'll buy it, full price. Just make sure it can be transferred.

PM me. I don't have to get this immediately, I can wait for you to check it out.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

After having this for about a week I have to say, this plugin is probably the BEST sounding clone I have ever heard. It's almost UNREAL how realistic it sounds....its got that crunch, that woodyness, that keyclick sound - even the keycontact thing they got right (where you hear each individual of the 9 contacts coming in)... and the C/V is fantastic!

I put it up against my Gemini and my HX3 (as well as my B-3) and it's almost bothersome how good it sounds in comparison.....seeing as how I thought "how could it get any better than these two?"....(take your pick on which you think sounds better - for me, there are some things I like better about the HX3 and some things I like better about the VB3v2 in the Gemini/DMC-122).

Perhaps, the ONLY thing that needs a little work is the Leslie Sim which isn't quite as good as either the Mojo or the HX3 (both nailed the Leslie sim I think)....However, there are a lot of different settings, (cabinet selection, mic selection, etc - that I still haven't gone through completely yet that could maybe make this just a "settings" thing....)

If I think about how much time I put into getting my HX3 and my Gemini to sound the way I wanted - it isn't even fair to compare that yet since I don't have that kind of time into the plugin yet....

But you could also bypass the internal Leslie sim if you wanted and chain it through L'Otary or a Vent/Burn, etc as others have pointed out.

Also, to top it off, it has a ridiculous amount of presets that show the drawbar settings, percussion, C/V, and all the Mic tweaks that are possible to get the sound of many of your favorite organists as well as the settings from some notable songs, genre's, etc. This alone to me was also an added value since finding that right drawbar setting for a particular sound you are trying for is sometimes challenging.

All that said, I still don't think I would sell either my HX3 nor my Gemini - since they both have their place....but if I were to say which sounds the best - right now, this is it....I'm absolutely blown away!

Congrats Arno on an amazing plugin'!

I do agree with you about having a playable demo...there should be a way to accomplish this... I bet a lot more plugin's would sell if they can pull that off since many people (like yourself) aren't willing to pluck down $100+ if they can't try it out for themselves.

Regards,

-John

Acoustic samples don't do demo's. I guess as an established VI developer they have credibility and it works for them. They are not alone in not providing demo's but I agree it would be nice if they did.

GSI warn that VB3 may be incompatible on even 32 bit Macs and suggest downloading the demo and finding out for yourself. If it doesn't work - tough. If you upgrade to a current version of OSX then forget VB3, there is no interest in updating it to work with current OS's. On the other hand AS are guaranteeing their VI's work on 32/64 bit Windows and Mac and provide excellent support.

I would prefer to use software from VI developer that is committed to keeping them up to date with changes in the OS they are used on rather than be stuck in legacy land.

If that means I spend $100 on the odd occasion for something that doesn't work for me so be it. Most VI licenses can be resold so it you have the option of getting some of your $100 back if it is not for you.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I put it up against my Gemini and my HX3

Do you have the drawbar module for the HX3? Does B5 work with that? (IIRC, it's a little unusual in that, instead of each drawbar sending a different CC, they all send the same CC but on different channels...?)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Wow, this sounds so tempting - couple of quick questions for anyone that knows:

- How big is the download (couldn't find it on the site)

- is it a universal license, i.e., if I bought if for my PC, then later bought a Mac laptop for live use, could I use the same license for both?

- regarding live use - are the graphics reasonably large enough to see for patch selection, moderate live tweaking onstage (so many developers seem to forget this aspect and put key functionality in 9 point font).

OK, thanks, just desperately grasping at straws trying to find a reason not to buy :)

Hey guys, i'm glad you all seem to like the B-5!

I finally got an account to be able to answer here.

So, the download is about 250Mb (the info was just added to the website).

The license is of course universal, it is handled by iLok, but an iLok key is not necessary, you can register your library on up to 3 computers and deactivate / reactivate any of them any number of time.

The graphic size is 720 x 480, you decide if it is big enough for you ;)

www.acousticsamples.net

Thank you sir!

I was afraid of that - those are all positive answers to things I was worried about - that is a very reasonable files size for that much functionality, and the universality is nice to know

But now I'm running now out of excuses :/

After having this for about a week I have to say, this plugin is probably the BEST sounding clone I have ever heard. It's almost UNREAL how realistic it sounds....its got that crunch, that woodyness, that keyclick sound - even the keycontact thing they got right (where you hear each individual of the 9 contacts coming in)... and the C/V is fantastic!

I put it up against my Gemini and my HX3 (as well as my B-3) and it's almost bothersome how good it sounds in comparison.....seeing as how I thought "how could it get any better than these two?"....(take your pick on which you think sounds better - for me, there are some things I like better about the HX3 and some things I like better about the VB3v2 in the Gemini/DMC-122).

Perhaps, the ONLY thing that needs a little work is the Leslie Sim which isn't quite as good as either the Mojo or the HX3 (both nailed the Leslie sim I think)....However, there are a lot of different settings, (cabinet selection, mic selection, etc - that I still haven't gone through completely yet that could maybe make this just a "settings" thing....)

If I think about how much time I put into getting my HX3 and my Gemini to sound the way I wanted - it isn't even fair to compare that yet since I don't have that kind of time into the plugin yet....

But you could also bypass the internal Leslie sim if you wanted and chain it through L'Otary or a Vent/Burn, etc as others have pointed out.

Also, to top it off, it has a ridiculous amount of presets that show the drawbar settings, percussion, C/V, and all the Mic tweaks that are possible to get the sound of many of your favorite organists as well as the settings from some notable songs, genre's, etc. This alone to me was also an added value since finding that right drawbar setting for a particular sound you are trying for is sometimes challenging.

All that said, I still don't think I would sell either my HX3 nor my Gemini - since they both have their place....but if I were to say which sounds the best - right now, this is it....I'm absolutely blown away!

Congrats Arno on an amazing plugin'!

I do agree with you about having a playable demo...there should be a way to accomplish this... I bet a lot more plugin's would sell if they can pull that off since many people (like yourself) aren't willing to pluck down $100+ if they can't try it out for themselves.

Regards,

-John

Tried it out and the organ sounds good but hating the Leslie. I mean really hating it. I don't wanna buy a vent, burn or plunk down more $ on lrotary. Oh well, my bad for buying it without a demo. Live and learn. Maybe the license is transferable and I can sell it.

Specifically, tremolo barely sounds fast to me...

Thank you sir!

I was afraid of that - those are all positive answers to things I was worried about - that is a very reasonable files size for that much functionality, and the universality is nice to know

But now I'm running now out of excuses :/

Then don't fight it ;)

www.acousticsamples.net

Arno-

Good to see you here. :wave:

Keep up the good work. :2thu:

:cheers:

I'll do my best ;)

Kwyn, i'm sorry you don't like the Leslie. The license is in fact transferable.

About the Tremolo, it simply can't be too fast... that part was sampled, so what you hear is the real sound of the scanner vibrato of a real B-3...

www.acousticsamples.net

Wait Kywn are you talking Tremolo on the Leslie? That is controllable (the speed of both fast and slow Chorale/Tremolo) - theres a little button down in the lower right called "Speaker Prefs":

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah91/johnmolino/b5-1_zpsmxddlf0g.jpg

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah91/johnmolino/b5-2_zpsylmi1nbd.jpg

I put it up against my Gemini and my HX3

Do you have the drawbar module for the HX3? Does B5 work with that? (IIRC, it's a little unusual in that, instead of each drawbar sending a different CC, they all send the same CC but on different channels...?)

@AnotherScott: Sorry, I have the DMC-122 w/ the Gemini Module - but my drawbars worked off the bat - I just had to hit the "Invert Drawbars" button (under Advanced Prefs, then click Assign CC's) and change the 8' pedal (it was controlling the 5 1/4' by default)...each has its own CC# - 12-29 and pedals are 33, 34) - but of course this is all configurable in both the DMC as well as the plugin...not sure about the drawbar module however.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah91/johnmolino/b5-3_zpsr29i2z9i.jpg

John if you grab the current dpwnload of B-5 you will see there are added options in the CC assign page. There is now a toggle option to allow mapping of controller on/off buttons to, for example, percussion on/off.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I understand there is no demo version, but is there at least a downloadable manual? In a quick perusal, I could not locate that on the site...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

While those Goldings demos are very good and I really liked the percussion in Tight Shoes, there's only one little bit of fast Leslie and no clear C/V in any of them. Maybe do another set of demos featuring those things.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Hey Arno :)

Glad to have you back on the KC

I'm in the process of re-building my basic session template, but I've already removed VB3 and put B5 in it's place. :cool:

Using PSP for the rotary or what is built in?

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I just played B5 for about an hour and like it a lot. Although I didn't do a direct comparison it's safe to say that I like it better than Crumar's VB2 for Mac and Apple's Vintage B3 simply because I really enjoyed playing B5 and don't enjoy playing the others. Ahh, it's great to have such a fine B3 plug in! The B3 was the weak link in my Mainstage plugins so perhaps I'll now use the Macbook Pro setup more.

I didn't enjoy playing B5 as much as the Mojo's VB3 but to be fair I would need to do a direct compare using the same keybed and amplification. I'll do this compare the next time I have my Mojo rig setup.

Using PSP for the rotary or what is built in?

I haven't done enough real world testing yet. I don't mind the internal Leslie (other than the roominess that I've already found a solution for), but I like having the control options w/L'otary. I'll see what engineers think this week. Either way, I will still continue to use L'otary on other sounds (which I've been doing a lot lately). I like the tube drive better, and I like how you can set the speed lever to any position in the middle to get a speed that isn't slow or fast. Great on Wurly, and gritty synth patches.

Can't remember if I posted here yet or only elsewhere, as I've been super-busy. I bought this last weekend for well under $100; it seemed worth it from the audio demos, and though I haven't recorded it yet or done direct shoot-outs, I have a feeling it's even better than my XK-1c hardware clone.

What caught me right away was how well the tonewheels interact. This is the shortcoming of most clones, whether modeled or sampled. And it's also why I generally find it hard to get good jazz tones (Jon Lord-ish tones are relatively easy to capture).

Looking forward to having time to re-track some of my XK-1c tracks with B-5 to compare, as well as new material, but I'm mostly focused on my jazz album right now and the twelve pieces on this particular album have zero organ (instead, lots of piano, chromatic percussion, and accordion).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

FYI Arturia's modeled Hammond B3 finally came out today, as part of the affordable upgrade to the V Collection which also includes other new emulations. Audio Deluxe offers the upgrades.

Not sure if I'll have time to take care of this until next week, due to work. As with the Continental, the Hammond is a rebranding of a well-known free/pay-what-you-want emulation.

As I haven't had time to read the full description yet, that's as much as I can safely say at this point.

It will be interesting to do a three-way shootout between the best current sampled B3, the best modeled one, and the best (until XK-5 is released) hardware clone.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Over at V.I. Control in the B-5 thread, Arno just stated that a new update is live (with no version number change) that includes a mic distance parameter for the Leslie:

http://vi-control.net/community/threads/acousticsamples-releases-the-b-5-organ.53343/page-3

I was about to post it, but you beat me to it... ;)

www.acousticsamples.net