Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation

Spent an hour with it tonight. Sounds great and is one of those rare VI's like VB3 and Pianoteq that you just want to play and not tweak.

All the subtle Hammond elements that are around the core tone are there and well balanced. Volume balance between notes feels just right and the highest octave is creamy without being shrill. Down low it 'breathes' without getting muddy.

I'm no expert so will leave it to those that are to comment on how faithful it is to the original. Suffice to say I really enjoyed playing it and reluctantly dragged myself away to catch the last 30 klm's of the 2nd stage of the Giro.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW MS3 showed that it was using between 40% and 50% of CPU (i7) so might not be suited to low power or older machines. Also make sure you have UVI Workstation 2.6.5. I can guarantee the UFS file will not be recognised by earlier versions :D:facepalm:

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I bought this tonight and it is very inspiring. I have used VB3/L'otary for some time now, but can't imagine going back to them. The mic distance adds a great amount of air to a really fantastic tone. They did a marvelous job sampling with this set. I highly recommend.

No dongle required, I activated straight to my laptop, but I have two more authorizations available.

DaveinWV, thank you for raising our attention to this great set.

I love my HX3 because it has no ewual for the 70s rock sound.I actually have 8 different and distinct presets from Steppenwolf to Uriah Heep Argent (Zombies too) ELP and Deep Purple.

But the upper footages on the UVI have better fidelity on first listen.

Hammond emus are like string instruments.

Gotta have them all.

But somebody do some demos please.

Above demos sounded too much like Wersi or Wrigley Field.

But that scanner vibrato and upper footages caught my ear.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

AS are good in making new stuff available as 32 or 64 bit Windows and OSX and this can even be run in XP, using a legacy version of UVI and an iLok dongle. Computer authorization is not available on XP.

On reflection as B-5 requires the latest version of UVI WorkStation to load the UFS and the B-5 UFS will not load in earlier versions of the UVI WS it would not be available on any OS including XP that requires a legacy version of the UVI workstation.

I'm glad everyone is liking it so far! I actually haven't yet grabbed it, but I plan to do so sometime this week.

Is the MIDI CC mapping/learn pretty easy? I'll probably set it up to be driven by my Mojo 61 when it arrives.

Is the MIDI CC mapping/learn pretty easy? I'll probably set it up to be driven by my Mojo 61 when it arrives.

Yes midi mapping is an UVI function, right click on the item to be mapped for example 16' DB, move the 16' DB on the controller and its done.

Saying that I think I have found a few bugs with some CC's. Will update when I hear back from AS.

Is the MIDI CC mapping/learn pretty easy?

It is. I struggled at first trying to find the words "Midi Learn" somewhere, but then realized that all I had to do was right click and move the controller of choice.

One of my CME controllers is causing some weirdness, but I'm pretty sure it's in the CME not the B5.

I have to say, I load this thing up to experiment with it's features, but find myself "just playing" and forgetting everything else. I sounds like a real Hammond, and more than any other software organs I've ever played. Still can't weigh in on how it compares to hardware boxes, Mojos, HXs etc, but for tracking, in the box, it's wonderful.

One of my CME controllers is causing some weirdness, but I'm pretty sure it's in the CME not the B5.

Maybe not, here is the reply I got regardng my query that CC71,72,73 would not map to drawbars but always reverted to percussion and CV.

AS reply (received 5 minutes after sending the email to support - exceptional service)

"This probably has something to do with the CC assignment panel.

You cant use the MIDI learn and the assignments at the same time.

We had to create this panel as many buttons like the Leslie speed have specific behaviors.

To access it, just go in the advanced preferences and click at the top on the assign CCs button.

If you want to use the MIDI learn you already created, just set every controller value in here to -1 and they wont have any effect.

Alternatively, you can MIDI "unlearn" everything and use only this panel."

I agree just playing B-5 is a blast. I sat down to map things and got carried away for an hour playing John Lord style OD licks. Sublime.

Just as finished typing the above I received an email from AS advising they have updated the B-5 user guide to include instructions on how to map midi. Fast work - the updated guide is available online now.

I purchased this over the weekend. I have used (and own) Native Instruments B-4 II, VB3, Mainstage Vintage B3 with L'otary, and DB33 in software. I have a Mojo 61 on order, and have been using a Hammond SK1. I agree with the comments above about the addictive nature of playing this VI. Certainly in software, this will be my chosen organ. It has the right amount of "spit", among other things. I should also add that I am not a Hammond "expert" (though I certainly know the sound(s) I prefer), I only ever owned one (original Hammond) and that was an L series spinet/Leslie 145 and a very long time ago. Most of my organ playing these days is "band-gig" or blues organ. I keep the quasi jazz chops for home and shedding. This is great fun.

I have been exchanging emails with Arno at AcousticSamples regarding some naming and midi control assignment issues in B-5.

The response from AS has been exceptional, almost immediate responses and updates implemented in the form of new download within hours.

The most recent issue was raised two hours ago and added functionality coded and implemented in a revised download which is available now.

I have experienced nothing less than good service from VI vendors over the past 3 years but AS get my award for world's best service in terms of the speed of implementation of these enhancements.

For those who have already purchased B-5 when you can drag yourself away from playing it grab the updated download that will be available in your account to take advantage of the midi mapping enhancements.

I purchased the module and I have to say - it sounds great when put up against my DMC/Gemini (Mojo/VB3 2.0), the HX3 as well as my 1963 B3 w/ 147 and modd'ed 45's (2 speed MTCLogic controller board providing the Chorale setting). I haven't picked a favorite yet (I mean, the B-3 obviously is what I'm comparing against). But each has it's own nuances (much like different tonewheel organs do)...

Initial impression - it sounds super convincing and I'm digging it...

Maybe I can do a comparison video - but time is tight right now, so it's not something I can get to right away....

But I definitely don't have any buyer's remorse!

-John

Note - if anyone knows what the correct midi CC parameter values for the Chorus/Vibrato settings are that would be appreciated?

I know that its CC#73, but to change to each one (C1, C2, C3, V1, V2, V3) what is the value (between 0 and 127) for each setting? The default DMC settings (with the Generic or VB3 template) are skipping the C2 setting.

Thank you,

John Molino

@Markay - you are right about fast support! Arno replied back to my query about the parameter question in less than an hour - here is the reply in case others are trying to control this plugin from any controller:

Hi John,

Everything is divided equally into 6 zones, so 0 to 21 is C1, 22 to 43 is V2, etc.

Best regards,

Arno

samples@acousticsamples.com

www.acousticsamples.net

@Mate Stubb - Yeah I get what you are saying....how does one "sample" chorus and vibrato....I'm guessing that it probably has some kind of tech built into it whereby they sampled C/V on an arbitrary drawbar combination, then did some kind of modeling off that for when you hit the switch. I'll put a query to Arno as well as point him to this thread.

Thanks,

John

@Mate Stubb - More from Arno:

Hi John,

As much as i would like to answer on this forum, ive been banned from it for posting a news about a commercial product once a while ago

Anyway, regarding the vibrato, yes, we sampled it just like the regular tone and use it as the source whenever the vibrato is enabled.

I dont want to explain too much how it works though as it was actually one of the big challenges with this library, but basically, it was sampled for each of the 91 frequencies and since we do not stack samples but use the synthesis approach, we just add more or less volume of every selected frequency, just like for the regular non vibrato tone.

This is a bit different than what happens on the real machine but gives the same result.

Best regards,

Arno

-John

@Mate Stubb - More from Arno:

Hi John,

As much as i would like to answer on this forum, ive been banned from it for posting a news about a commercial product once a while ago

Anyway, regarding the vibrato, yes, we sampled it just like the regular tone and use it as the source whenever the vibrato is enabled.

I dont want to explain too much how it works though as it was actually one of the big challenges with this library, but basically, it was sampled for each of the 91 frequencies and since we do not stack samples but use the synthesis approach, we just add more or less volume of every selected frequency, just like for the regular non vibrato tone.

This is a bit different than what happens on the real machine but gives the same result.

Best regards,

Arno

-John

Hmm. So each tonewheel is sampled dry, and 6 times more with all the variations of CV? Then they play back all the samples needed and somehow the sample playback stays synchronized so that the CV remains cohesive? Seems like it could work I guess.

Moe

---

Moe the details on where the modelling takes over, other than for the Rotary sim are deliberately vague.

But once you start playing it there seems little reason to ponder the details. It just sounds right.

Here are the correct settings for the C/V controlling the B-5 with a DMC (and can be applied to other controllers, using the correct midi CC# (73) and the parameters for controlling each of the different C/V's: (the parameters are as follows: C3 = 0, V2=43, C2=64, V1=85, C1=106, V1=127 - obviously you could re-order them, I just did it in incrementing values on the DMC):

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah91/johnmolino/DMC-B5_zps62b3mvqp.jpg

(finally figured out how to upload an image!)

My CME UF80 does not want to get along with B5. It's hardly the best controller for organ, but it's my primary controller at home and I would have liked the option of using it when I didn't want to take the time to switch. It's clearly a new problem with the CME as it appears to have quit responding to "Pedal B" altogether regardless of how I set it or how many factory resets I try :mad:

FWIW: The sound of this thing is smokin' imho, but I agree that the Leslie sound, while very authentic, might occasionally be a little too "roomy" for some songs. I've found a workaround though. If you place a transient tamer after the B5, you can dial back the room sound. I put UAs SPL Transient Designer in the effects chain and it works brilliantly. :cool:

FWIW: The sound of this thing is smokin' imho, but I agree that the Leslie sound, while very authentic, might occasionally be a little too "roomy" for some songs. I've found a workaround though. If you place a transient tamer after the B5, you can dial back the room sound. I put UAs SPL Transient Designer in the effects chain and it works brilliantly. :cool:

What if you move the virtual mics closer? Still too roomy?

I was not aware that you could move the mics in the B-5/UVI Leslie sim. It works great in L'otary of course, but for people interested in this instrument (B-5), who don't have Vents, Burns, L'otarys or Meldas, I was offering my observation that you can dial out the room with a transient designer.

I was not aware that you could move the mics in the B-5/UVI Leslie sim. It works great in L'otary of course, but for people interested in this instrument (B-5), who don't have Vents, Burns, L'otarys or Meldas, I was offering my observation that you can dial out the room with a transient designer.

Whoops! It doesn't look as if you can adjust distance, only the "Air" parameter - my mistake. Sorry about that!