Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - I'm pretty impressed - best plugin' I've seen yet. Not sure how it would hold up to HX3 or Mojo, but it's pretty dam good and comprehensive for sure. I might have a little GAS money to pick this up....

-John

digging the organ pic... but "BO"?

Perhaps they heard you. Now looks to be B-5. Notice the video at the top of this thread now is titled B-5, and the graphics on the organ say B-5, but it reverts to B-0 once the video starts.

I wrote to my friend w/acousticsamples, but I may need an updated email address for him. I stuck some feelers out through other sources, but it does look like it may very well be a significant step up in the software organ game. Reasonably priced too.

Since OSX moved to 64 bit and GSI chose not to release a 64 bit AU VB3 version the only available and decent sounding B3 emulation for OSX has been Vintage B3.

I think this will sell well to those on OSX and maybe to VB3 users on Windows as VB3 has not been updated for some time now.

Looking forward to auditioning B-5 and comparing it to Vintage B3.

Interesting they chose to use samples for core sounds at the same time Hammond has gone to modelling in the XK 5.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Got my email issues worked out, and a "test" copy is on the way so I'll be chiming in as soon as I get to running it through some paces.

It is mostly samples, but it occurred to me that I think their Wurly is the best on the planet and it is also samples, so I'm optimistic.

Just got it up and running. It's deep and sounds amazing :cool:

I'll be digging in for days, as it's a tweaker's dream, but first learning how to make it work with my various controllers. I don't see "midi learn" yet, but there is full cc assignment available. I also don't see horn/rotor acceleration timing adjustment, but the default is typical real world sounding.

The grand take away is by far the sound, which is the best "in the box" I've ever heard. Yes, it's samples, but has none of that harshness (especially high note harshness) so common to the clones. Perhaps not a fair fight, as VB3 has not been updated in some time, but this is light years better sounding to my ears. For anyone getting their organs out of "the box", this is a no brainer even if it were 3 times the price. At $109, it's a steal. As a 64bit Mac runner there's definitely no reason to stick with 32Lives/VB3 anymore.

Thanks for posting Steve.

I was going to pull the trigger last night but then saw your post and figured I would wait to read the Guru's first impressions.

I will grab it tonight. Do you know how much space it requires once installed?

AS are good in making new stuff available as 32 or 64 bit Windows and OSX and this can even be run in XP, using a legacy version of UVI and an iLok dongle. Computer authorization is not available on XP.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I know some people get excited about mentioning specific retailers but for anyone who is interested is saving some coin I just ordered through JRRShop and got an in cart discount. Think euro price in $US to get an idea of the amount.

And to be clear I am in no way associated with any MI retailer anywhere on this planet.

The first thing that struck me even thru my crappy iPhone earbuds was a certain woodiness regarding the tone.

Wasn't blown away by the rotor sim at first listen.

Is it possible to bypass the sim and use it with a Vent?

If so, I think I'll get it.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

I guess so, turn the rotary off and send the the output to a Vent, or PSP L'Otary or Melba sim. You could also substitute the PSP scanner for the C/V. Lots of options available now.

but has none of that harshness (especially high note harshness) so common to the clones.

Is this only in comparison with VB3 1.04 and vst's like NIB4 ?,....or are you talking about hardware clones like the Mojo, Hx3, Nord, Hammond S, KeyB / Numa etc. ?

Because if so, you could save me a lot of money I want to spend on a new clone, while still owning two very good ones (Numa and HX3).

Thanks in advance.......

1. You can bypass the "Leslie". I ran it through L'otary last night with no problems. I don't own a Vent (though I do have a Burn somewhere), but I'd guess it's just a simple to accomplish.

My comment re:harshness was aimed at nearly every clone I've ever tried. I don't currently own one (and the last one i did was 20 yrs ago), but I've always found the top end harsh on clones, particularly the Hammond/Suzukis I've tried.

I'm headed out, but let me quickly clear up a few things.

First, I'm not the guy for a "shootout" or full scale "Alfredson" style review. Like I said, I don't own much of the gear you want comparisons to so I can't weigh in on it's merits relative to Mojo or Numa or H3 etc.

What I am doing is just posting my impressions for anyone who might be interested.

That said, I also want to be sure everyone understands that I did not pay for this instrument. I've known the owner of this company for several years, since we both worked on another instrument several years ago for another company (he actually did real work. I just gave feed back and impressions, suggestions for improvement and bug flaws kinds of stuff).

Under his own banner, he makes some of imho the best VIs on the planet (his Wurly is 2nd to none in my book :cool: ), and I have bought and paid for several of them, but a couple of times, he has asked me to check out something new and provide the same sort of feedback. This is one of those occasions. He fully understands that I will always be honest, and I think he is aware that I will most likely tell people (like around here) what I think and he's OK with accepting that if I don't like something, I will say so publicly.

In the case of this B-5, in the short time I've had to give it a whirl, I am quite positive in digging it, and happy to "tell my friends" that I do.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to offer a more thorough review, or head to head comparison with what else is out there. I'm also fairly sure that someone will be along here soon to bitch about iLoks :laugh:

New email tells me there is "Midi Learn" in there, and confirms that there is not variable control of "acceleration speeds". Apparently this info is on the website and explains that the Leslie is modeled by the folks at UVI from a real one, and a lot of analysis went into the settings. Honestly, it sounds about right to me, but as I said earlier, you can use Vent, Burn, L'otary or Melda if you prefer. I can attest to both liking the internal, and liking the variation options w/L'otary, so there's plenty to work with. Again, the organ is pretty stellar.

I'm not complaining about ilok cause I don't really know how it works. Do I need a physical dongle (try telling your friends you are buying a dongle today)?

Can I use B5 on multiple computers. One thing I like about vb3 is that I can have it on my studio computer and also on a tablet to take to gigs without undoing any studio gear.

FunMachine.

Now THAT'S a demo. I'm not even an organist and I still felt a twinge of GAS. Their split method of sound generation sounds like a Holy Grail moment to me. Nice & lush. You can hear the oil on the capillary threads! :w00t:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Only if you plan to install it on a machine running XP because then it runs inside a legacy version of the UVI player that only supports authorisation via a dongle.

For newer OS's it is online authorisation.

For newer OS's it is online authorisation.

I didn't see in the faqs how many simultaneous authorizations you are allowed. It also mentions more ram needed than vb3. Older comps might not work. I don't think my laptop supports 4Gs of ram.

FunMachine.

I didn't see in the faqs how many simultaneous authorizations you are allowed.

For me no different to Vintage B3 or VB3, just map DB's, C/V, rotary, OD, percussion, etc. to the sliders, knobs and buttons on the Axiom.

Sounds good!

iPad Version please !!!!!!!!!

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Does it do mic distance (not spread)? I like a close mic'd sound.

No but it sounds good and you can turn the Rotary off and route through another sim like L'otary if the B-5 is not to your liking.