Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Putting together a pedalboard for 50s-60s

OP here again.

Right I have my funds sorted now I need to have a think tonight about what to do.

Current board Guitar > boss tu-3 > Amp

Mooer yellow comp >Keeley Memphis sun > effects loop.

So I've had the keeley for a few days and finally had some proper time to sit down earlier today.

What I need to decide is I need reverb pedal, not sure which one but had my eye on

Boss rv-5

Strymon Flint

EHX holy grail Neo

Also I need a digital/ana delay

Boss dd-3

Mxr Carbon copy bright?

I'm also wondering if you guys can give me a push in one direction or another on this......

I like the Memphis sun on Sun mode and reverb mode mostly but the reverb on its own isn't enough I don't think for live gigs, so I'm thinking should I get a refund for the keeley and get either a Strymon el Capistan or a boss re20 or a boss Dm-2 delay.

Same sound is needed.

50s -60s clean echo/delays mostly playing rhythm with a bit of picking and a couple of solos.

Not sure if

Yellow comp > boss re-20 > Carbon copy > Strymon Flint or

Yellow comp > Memphis sun > boss dd-3 > holy grail Neo

Yellow comp > Carbon copy bright > boss Tr-2 > boss ev-5

Or any other combination would be best for live gigs.

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Memphis sun on Sun mode and reverb mode mostly but the reverb on its own isn't enough I don't think for live gigs, so I'm thinking should I get a refund for the keeley and get either a Strymon el Capistan or a boss re20 or a boss Dm-2 delay.

Same sound is needed.

50s -60s clean echo/delays mostly playing rhythm with a bit of picking and a couple of solos.

First off- as applies respective of which Mode you have the Memphis Sun set to, try turning up the Mix, Regeneration, and Reverb controls to taste if you're not getting enough reverberation. Try the Memphis Sun in your amp's effects-loop and make sure that any controls for your amp's effects-loop are set correctly for your use.

You may also want to try that compressor pedal earlier in your effects-chain, and not in the amp's effects-loop. It MAY even be making your reverb-sounds more ho-hum, feeding them a more compressed and limited dynamic-signal where your original un-compressed attack and envelope might give you a more dynamically responsive reverb...

Being as you want it for '50s and '60s styles, Rockabilly, etc., I can't imagine that the Memphis Sun could let you down. If you just want longer delay times, I can understand that other pedals would do that for you, but longer delay times are not very much a part of the '50s and '60s canon, be it Rock 'n' Roll, Rockabilly, Country, etc. fro that era... I cannot imagine your thinking of getting rid of the Memphis Sun.

Doesn't your amp have reverb?

I love my El Capistan, but it's very specific spring-reverb emulation is NOT its strength; the included Spring-Reverb sim is essentially a copy of that found in the old Roland RE-200 Space Echo (IIRC), there to put just he finishing-touch on some tape-echo sounds, and it is not necessarily a reverb that one would want to use all the time for general reverb duties, IMHO; it's sort of tanky-twanky weird sounding to my ear and to many others'. Great for some things, particularly when mixed in carefully, but not a nice all-around reverb to have on most of the time. I use it most for some weirder Dub/Reggae sounds, and otherwise mixed-in very low for juuust a little more 'somethin' ' on the tape-echo flavored repeats.

The El Capistan's strengths and whole reason for being are its tape-flavored echo sounds; if you want a wide variety of great tape-echo sounds, get it for that- but NOT for its reverb.

If you can make use of both Tremolo and Reverb, the Strymon Flint is AWESOME and can be considered two or more pedals in one, and its price should be considered as such- virtually a bargain when compared to buying two or more such pedals.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I put myself through college playing in a 50s/60s Rock n Roll review show. My pedalboard pretty much nailed the authentic sound.

Guitar (335 or Strat) ------ Tuner ------ 65 Fender Twin Reverb. :D

I did add a ProCo Rat later when Satisfaction was added to the show. I played a 175 at first but I had problems with feedback so I traded it for the 335. If I known then what I know now I would have kept the 175 and got a graphic EQ pedal.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

<--- this is a good lesson on how to get a rockabilly sound...it's more in your playing than in the pedals...

+1 it's hard to beat a Twin Reverb amp but you have to be young and have a good back LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Yeah I have reverb on my amp but turned up to where I like it there's not enough decay.

Would you use just the reverb on the Memphis for playing live then?

I'm thinking leaving it off and getting another pedal to handle Spring/plate reverbs.

I set the mix on the Memphis to about 9:30, I'll try it at 11:00 and turn down the time or something and see.

Off to a music shop today to try boss frv-1, Strymon Flint,holy grail,Carbon copy bright,etc and I'll try a fender twin amp as maybe that's the sound I'm after ;).

Caevan thanks for your help

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

Oozing (edit: trying) to put together a pedalboard for 50s Rock n roll and some 60s tunes.

I. Thinking I need Delay,echo,compression,reverb,tremolo, power,and a tuner.

My shortlist so far:

Boss Space Echo Re-20

TC Electronic Alter Ego x4 echo and delay

T-Rex Fuel tank jr

Tc polytune 2

MXR Dyna comp or super Comp

Boss TR-2

Gator g tour small case pedalboard

So for that kind of sound what pedal should I look at?

I already have reverb sorted.

I like that the Alter Ego has 3 presets and can tinker with tone print , nod loads the flashback tone prints to.

I haven't noticed this thread earlier, but personally....

I'd check into what did THEY use back then? ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I haven't noticed this thread earlier, but personally....

I'd check into what did THEY use back then? ;)

They used echo-chambers- separate rooms or emptied water-towers and the like with speakers and microphones in them; dual reel-to-reel tape machines; outboard tube/spring-reverb units the size of amp-heads; tube-amplifiers with on-board tube tremolo and "vibrato" circuits and tube/spring-reverb; stuff like that. That's what THEY used back then.

Try getting all that in your car, let alone on stage and on your pedalboard... ;)

http://blog.cakewalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/elvis.jpg

2bf9a0d2259820195d8cbbffdbdb37ec.jpg

Rik- I bet that you will like the Flint, both for its Reverb, and for its Tremolo- and ESPECIALLY for its Reverb AND its Tremolo TOGETHER, in that order. Its three reverbs should please you, and it can really pour it on- especially with the Mix and Decay turned up. Want splash and drip? '60s Spring with high Color and Mix settings, and Decay set to taste.

But DON'T ditch that Memphis Sun without really giving it a thorough chance. It should go VERY well with the Flint, indeed- that'd be a majorly great pairing. If you still need longer delay-time echo repeats, get something else like a Carbon Copy or an El Capistan further on down the road. For now, turn up the Mix and Regeneration.

Hey, remember when I said,

Compressor pedal? THIS:

Homebrew Electronics Compressor Retro (HBE CPR) for $90.00 US or best offer on Reverb dot com

If you don't buy this one, I just might as soon as I can, just for the addition of that Attack control.

I just bought it; made the guy a slightly low-ball offer, and he happily bit. It's on its way... :cool:

Cool hope you like pedal caevan.

Right decided what I'm doing after reading all the advice here and having a chat with a guy yesterday at the music shop.

I'm sending the Memphis sun back and getting a slightly used el capistan for the same price, I sold some stuff and now have the funds for a Flint .

That way I shouldn't be wanting longer delays and stuff. Does anyone know of another switch that will work for the favourites on the strymons? £59 here per switch!!! , I found somewhere called Vein tap switch which is just a plain metal box for £23 each.

But what kind of switch do I need or will only the strymons work or a specially designed switch?

Quick question- I thought that this had come up before here on this thread, but apparently not- just what IS the amp that you're using, Rik'?

I am sure that you will LOVE the El Capistan and Flint; they're both GREAT pedals and work very well together. lightbulb.gif Make sure that their internal jumper/terminal switches are set to "Mono" for he Input jack, unless you are going to be feeding them a stereo signal via a TRS Y cable.

(I'll be sending you a Private Message re: Strymon Tap/Favorite switches, via this Forum.)

Just picked up the el capistan.

Looking forward to later when I'm home.

My amp is a Hughes and kettner switchblade 100 valve amp.

It's bloody heavy and loud.

After I've got all this stuff sorted next will be selling the H&K and getting something lighter and more vintage.

Thinking fender deville Mike Landau model or a blues deluxe or twin , not sure yet

I just can't believe it would cost me £120 for 2 switches to call up presets! Surely a common readily available switch from boss (I have 1 already) should work?

I just can't believe it would cost me £120 for 2 switches to call up presets! Surely a common readily available switch from boss (I have 1 already) should work?

Depends on how the pedal is wired. If it's a TRS jack, the Boss FS-5U, or FS-5L probably won't work. If it's a standard TS jack, like a regular guitar cable, you may be able to use it.

Looking at their website, it does appear that you can use a standard Momentary Switch for Tap Tempo. Not sure about scrolling through presets, however. Best of luck!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehh... ! :D;) Wait'll you read my Private Message, you'll understand why I'm chuckling after reading your saying "I just can't believe it would cost me £120 for 2 switches to call up presets!"... :thu:

And- as long as it's Favorite Presets that you want to call up with a stomp, be sure that it's the "Strymon Favorite Switch" from Vein-Tap dot-com that you order, and not one of Vein-Tap dot-com's Tap-Tempo offerings. And be sure that they either include a TRS "stereo" Y-cord, or that you have one to connect it to your Strymon Flint or El Capistan.

One nice thing about the actual Strymon Tap-Favorite Switch is that it can be used as either a Tap-Tempo OR a Favorite-Setting foot-switch, depending on the setting of an internal jumper. This could also be easily and cost-effectively made as a D.I.Y. project. I don't see any mention of this feature being included on the Vein-Tap dot-com footswitches; they seem to offer only separate "Favorite" and "Tap-Tempo" footswitches- ask them about that before you buy.

Note that these Strymon pedals can operate with an external Tap-Favorite switch for EITHER Favorite-setting recall OR Tap-Tempo functions- one or the other- but not both simultaneously. The El Capistan has its own built-in Tap-Tempo footswitch, the left one, which doubles as a momentary Infinite Repeat switch as long as it's held down.

Depends on how the pedal is wired. If it's a TRS jack, the Boss FS-5U, or FS-5L probably won't work. If it's a standard TS jack, like a regular guitar cable, you may be able to use it.

Looking at their website, it does appear that you can use a standard Momentary Switch for Tap Tempo. Not sure about scrolling through presets, however. Best of luck!

The Strymon Flint and El Capistan use a TRS "stereo" jack and plug for their respective EXP (Expression) jacks and external Tap-Favorite footswitches.

And another thing-

My amp is a Hughes and kettner switchblade 100 valve amp.

Be sure to have your H&K Switchblade 100 amp's effects-loop set to Serial operational mode. If you MUST use its effects-loop in Parallel mode, have the Mix set quite high to hear more of the reverb, delay, or whatever other effect it is that you're using within the 'loop.

Thanks, Caevan, for the clarification. It may still be possible to use the Boss Dual FS-6, with a TRS cable, but the smaller FS-5x pedals are out.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

<--- this is a good lesson on how to get a rockabilly sound...it's more in your playing than in the pedals...

+1 it's hard to beat a Twin Reverb amp but you have to be young and have a good back LOL! :cool:

I didn't think the Twin was heavy. But the amp was in storage since getting my Boogie in 92.

I had it rebuilt this year and am using it for pedal steel because I want more of a West Coast sound. The damn Twin must have been binge eating because it got really heavy over the last 20 years. :D

Some good steelers I respect really like the EHX Holy Grail (the big one not the Neo). I'm thinking of getting one of those for my big verb sound as opposed to the RV-5.

Fuzz. (take this for what it is worth my use of fuzz is to get what steelers call the string effect) My favorite fuzz is an old circuit called the Jordan BossTone. Several companies have tried to emulate it. I won't call them failures because some of the pedals are actually nice but they are different. The one that comes closest is Mahoney Buzz Tone. This model is designed to plug into the side of a steel guitar but he does make pedal versions.

http://mahoneyguitargear.com/product8.htm

Pedal Version

http://mahoneyguitargear.com/product5.htm

Got home plugged the el capistan in and .... YES :)

It's axactly what I was after, I'll have more time tomorrow evening as the kids went to bed early but I love it.

Tried a few settings I found online for slapback, it sounds great :).

I think I will need a favourite switch because I also play acoustic and would like to feed that through this via a aby splitter pedal but then change the reverb settings quickly.

Yeah I have my amp set up in series (both lights on on my amp), the el pac sounds great through it, I'll have to wait until a few band rehearsal to figure out what songs I need the el cap but I'm thinking even if it's a song where I'm just playing chords all the way through I can just leave it on and turn the mix down just to make the sound fuller.

Thanks for the help Caevan :)

I mostly kept both switches in the up position and the time at about 1:30 , I messed around changing the switches and got some pretty cool sounds I've never played before, really got the creative juices going.

I am a Strymon convert :) , just have to wait for my Memphis sun refund to get the Flint.

The Memphis sun was great for what it did but I think as this is my first venture into this style of music it's good to have the el capistan with its abilities/versatility where the Memphis sun only did 1 1/2 repeats.

Caevan.. I'll have to unscrew to look inside to see what you mean by set to mono tomorrow also

I think I will need a favourite switch because I also play acoustic and would like to feed that through this via a aby splitter pedal but then change the reverb settings quickly.

That 'Strymon Favorite Switch' from Vein-Tap dot-com that you posted a link to above should work just fine for that. Again, be sure that either they supply a TRS "stereo" cable to connect it to the El Capistan, or that you get one for that if they don't. It won't work with a regular mono cable. And be sure to read that Private Message that I sent you about related matters.

I mostly kept both switches in the up position and the time at about 1:30 , I messed around changing the switches and got some pretty cool sounds I've never played before, really got the creative juices going.

I am a Strymon convert :) , just have to wait for my Memphis sun refund to get the Flint.

I'm glad that you like it! You're going to love the Flint, as well. Using them together with echo-repeats that rhythmically sub-divide the tremolo and splash the reverb in pulses is ridiculously gratifying. :cool:

Caevan.. I'll have to unscrew to look inside to see what you mean by set to mono tomorrow also

As far as I know, you'll want Mono Input operation (right?); chances are that it's already set-up for that, it's the factory default setting...

(By the way, earlier Strymon El Capistan pedals had a mono-only input and did not have the jumper or option for stereo input/throughput; it's possible that you may have an older model, having bought a used one... )

Here's the official Strymon document on that:

How do I enable the TRS stereo input on El Capistan?

I didn't think the Twin was heavy. But the amp was in storage since getting my Boogie in 92.

I had it rebuilt this year and am using it for pedal steel because I want more of a West Coast sound. The damn Twin must have been binge eating because it got really heavy over the last 20 years. :D

Yeah, I was bitching and moaning about my Hot Rod 410 DeVille being so heavy (weighs in at 55lbs). Then I picked up my Son-n-laws Twin Reverb off the floor and wow did it bring back memories of my gigging days! No more complaining about the HRD anymore LOL! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

Oh, and here, for your convenience:

El Capistan User Manual

Flint User Manual

Note that the knobs have secondary function parameters; to access and set the "hidden" secondary functions, refer to the manual, then carefully hold down the dual footswitches and adjust the control-settings.

Also note the suggested example control-settings; some nice starting-points for crafting your very own sounds from these...

Thanks for the links caevan

You're welcome! Enjoy those pedals in good health and bad-assedness! :rawk: Lemmy know if you ever have ANY questions about 'em. :thu:

• 2 years later...
By the way- that used HBE CPR compressor that I posted a link to above? I wound up buying it, myself. I just wanted to let people know that when I recommend something, I really, REALLY mean what I say...