Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Putting together a pedalboard for 50s-60s

Cheers for the tip regarding Velcro, I find that this stuff is awesome, very strong and great quality .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Velcro-Heavy-Duty-Stick-Black-VEL60241/dp/B00186Q9AK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460573437&sr=8-1&keywords=velcro+heavy+duty

One of the benefits of the space program, making everyday life better here on earth.

Scott Fraser

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes getting those pedals back off the Velcro can be tough (which is good as you will know there's no way the pedals are going to fall off or move around on you). When you want to pull one off to change positions etc. and it's hard to get up and off, I found that slipping a flat strong butter/case knife under the pedal between the Velcro and pad and prying up works very well...I probably went a little overboard on the Velcro LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Right folks I'm back for more help :).

Got the Keeley Memphis sun, love it,keeping it.

Got the MXR Dyna comp - not a fan - sending it back

Got HOF mini - great little pedal - not enough tweak able reverbs- sending it back.

So now I want a reverb pedal and maybe a tremolo or compression pedal.

For mainly rhythm guitar and a bit of lead what type of reverb should I be looking for for say Buddy holly 50s songs?

My list:

Strymon Flint

Boss FRV-1 + Mooer yellow comp

Boss RV-5 + Mooer yellow comp + boss tr-2

Any other I should look into?

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

I'm not surprised! I want one, too.

I'm not surprised! Noisy, hissy, 'breathing' 'n' 'pumping', attack-dulling pedal.

If that JB Nano is still available, you really should jump on it- I'd expect it to be much better than the Dyna Comp.

I don't think that you could go wrong with the Strymon Flint; consider it TWO pedals, tremolo AND reverb- divide the cost by two and think of it as buying a trem' and a 'verb and it seems a lot more reasonable, eh?

I love mine, it's a keeper, for sure. I bet that when you try its '60s Spring or '70s Plate Reverb going into its '61 Harmonic or '63 Tube Tremolo, you'll be hooked. Plus, of course, you can use either its tremolo or reverb individually.

I actually like its '80s Rack Hall Reverb quite a bit, too, and I use that one the most; I expected the opposite. It brings a harmonic swirl and shimmer to the background that I really enjoy, especially with my El Capistan feeding it with its chewy, bouncy, elastic tape-flavored echoes with a lot of Wow & Flutter and Tape Crinkle dialed-in; modulation in the echoes and reverb, but not in my 'straight'-signal on top...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I have to put in another pitch for the MXR Micro Amp, in place of that Dyna-Comp. I have an original 80's model, that I used for years as the front end of my various pedalboard configurations. A year or two back, I finally broke down and got a new one, just so I could safely retire the original.

Craig Anderton recommends the Micro Amp as a clean Boost/Buffer for the front of your pedalboard. I usually set mine so I can just hear a little boost when I cut it on; with my set-up, that puts the Gain knob just a hair past Noon. YEMV, of course.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Right folks I'm back for more help :).

Got HOF mini - great little pedal - not enough tweak able reverbs- sending it back.

For mainly rhythm guitar and a bit of lead what type of reverb should I be looking for for say Buddy holly 50s songs?

My list:

Strymon Flint

Boss FRV-1 + Mooer yellow comp

Boss RV-5 + Mooer yellow comp + boss tr-2

Any other I should look into?

Glad you liked the Memphis Sun by Keeley as they are not cheap, so I was hesitant on recommending it. I use the room reverb setting (switch down) for the most part but will head to the middle position sun mode for a little less reverb. In the up position it gets some good rockabilly slap back boogie with the guitar on the bridge pickup. For the other knob settings I run the Time and Reverb knobs around 2:30 o'clock pm, the Regan/Mod around 11:30 am, the Mix at 9:30 am...these would be good starting points to try. The changes are subtle. Leave it off and just use the amp reverb for awhile, then kick it on in the Reverb mode and you will notice the improved sound coming out of your amp...

For a clean boost, I still like the Tech21 Blonde. It will model the Fender amps. It will also go into full on OD/distortion for blues and whatever...but I really like the clean boost the best. Much better than a compressor IMHO. I knew you wouldn't care for the MXR Dyna Comp LOL! Anyway, have fun with the process of putting a board together! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Cheers guys.

Yeah the Dyna comp took loads of the attack out, I can see it being useful but not for me. Will the Mooer yellow comp optical compressor be better?

The only thing holding me back from the tremolo is the fact that I only play 1 song that would need tremolo on so £240 for a reverb mostly is steep still.

That's why I was wondering about something else £70-£140.

I've only had a bout an hours play on the keeley Memphis sun so far but I can see me just leaving it on an changing modes and tweaking it when needed.

I'm also going to try the room reverb + my amp reverb to see if it sounds good or not later, if so that would save some money and I could get a better compressor or tremolo.

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

Yeah the Dyna comp took loads of the attack out, I can see it being useful but not for me. Will the Mooer yellow comp optical compressor be better?

I think that the safe bet is, no. But I could be wrong.

That used JB Nano should be lots better... good deal, too...

The only thing holding me back from the tremolo is the fact that I only play 1 song that would need tremolo on so £240 for a reverb mostly is steep still.

That's why I was wondering about something else £70-£140.

Hehhehhehh... ! When I got my El Capistan echo and Flint tremolo/reverb, I suddenly started using echo and tremolo a LOT more often... ! :crazy::D:thu:

Sorry if I seem pushy about the pricier Flint (and El Capistan). It's just that that is where I have the most experience with trem' and 'verb pedals, and these two are SO damn good... ! :cool:

I've only had a bout an hours play on the keeley Memphis sun so far but I can see me just leaving it on an changing modes and tweaking it when needed.

I'm also going to try the room reverb + my amp reverb to see if it sounds good or not later, if so that would save some money and I could get a better compressor or tremolo.

I think that I'd leave the Memphis Sun on a lot, myself. Tasty! Want one!

Now, I've found that a LOT of reverb, echo, and tremolo pedals will sound and feel different at gig-levels than at home-levels, and sometimes require different respective settings.

Note that tremolo almost always tricks the ear into perceiving an overall volume drop, seeming to lose all-around loudness and presence; one very useful feature of the Flint, particularly for live gigs, is the option of choosing up to +/- 3 decibels of boost or cut when the tremolo is engaged. The same goes for the reverb side of the pedal- separate from the tremolo side. I have mine set to boost when the tremolo is kicked-in.

You might want to check out the Catalinbread Topanga or the Keeley Caverns or Aurora for reverb. Good pedals, average size footprint, not TOO pricey.

The Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo and Levitation pedals are also solid options. They also offer the Disaster Transport family of pedals. The Jr is probably the one most in line with your budget. But it and the middle one are delay or delay & modulation. The Sr is the one that is delay, reverb & modulation all in one package.

You might also consider the Caroline Meteore.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Thanks for the help Dannyalcatraz n caevan n larryz etc.

I decided to give the yellow comp a go after reading good things about it online, I'm also currently fighting with myself if I want a Strymon Flint or my Sony PlayStation 4 that's not being played lately that I could sell for a Flint

I do not envy your dilemma.

It's nice to put my 1st board together as I normally play bass with no effects and keyboards.

My friend has suggested a Line 6 M5 all in 1 stomp on modeller.

He said its true bypass and when it's off it doesn't colour the tone and it has really good tremolo/reverb and delays that I may need.

Anyone have any Experiances ?

I am sceptical as its Line 6 which doesn't scream out vintage or top quality but from what I've read it's a good option to complete a pedalboard

There are some really good modelers out there, but I can't say whether or not that is one of them.

Modelers can be very convenient. In my experience, though, that convenience comes at a cost- only the best ones have good models for all the included effects. There is always going to be some effect on them you don't like. And even within a brand, the quality of the models does not necessarily improve the more money you spend.

Don't get me wrong- I love the modelers I have. But I haven't spent the money to acquire one I'd feel comfy using as my go-to pedalboard. For me, modelers are great practice tools, but not a replacement for pedals.

All those caveats aside, look around and you should be able to find one that CAN do vintage quite nicely.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

I do not envy your dilemma.

It's nice to put my 1st board together as I normally play bass with no effects and keyboards.

My friend has suggested a Line 6 M5 all in 1 stomp on modeller.

He said its true bypass and when it's off it doesn't colour the tone and it has really good tremolo/reverb and delays that I may need.

Anyone have any Experiances ?

I am sceptical as its Line 6 which doesn't scream out vintage or top quality but from what I've read it's a good option to complete a pedalboard

I have an M5, and I've very pleased with it. I use it in conjunction with my Boss GT-10. Haven't noticed any tone coloration from it, except when I'm trying out the various OD/Dist options. The Filter effects are very cool, and very different from your usual Wah or Envelope Filter effects. There are a nice selection of Reverbs & Delay effects, and a few things you may not be looking for right now, like Pitch-Shifting and Ring Modulation. The main issue with the M5 is that you can only dial up one effect at a time, so you really have to decide where to put it, up front for Wah/OD/Pitch effects, or near the end of your signal chain for Trem/Verb/Delay?

In terms of bang for the buck, it's hard to beat, with just over 100 different effects models in one box. You'll also be able to store up to 24 different Patches?Effects, for different tunes, so you don't have to bend over and turn knobs between songs. If you need Reverb for one tune, Tremolo for another, and Tape Echo for a third, all of those sounds are in the M5, but you'll only be able to use one at a time, so you can have Reverb or Tremolo, but not Reverb & Tremolo. You'll also be able to name the patches, which really helps. Keep in mind that with any multi-effects box, you're probably paying for at least a few features that you'll hardly use, if ever, and the M5 has a lot of weird effects.

One last thought; if you do get an M5, get the Line 6 Expression pedal for it. You'll be able to use it to speed up & slow down your Modulation effects, fade Reverb/Delay tails in or out, punch up the Gain on an OD effect; anything you can control with the knobs, you can control with the Expression Pedal. Well worth the extra expense.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

The main issue with the M5 is that you can only dial up one effect at a time, so you really have to decide where to put it, up front for Wah/OD/Pitch effects, or near the end of your signal chain for Trem/Verb/Delay?

If you need Reverb for one tune, Tremolo for another, and Tape Echo for a third, all of those sounds are in the M5, but you'll only be able to use one at a time, so you can have Reverb or Tremolo, but not Reverb & Tremolo. You'll also be able to name the patches, which really helps. Keep in mind that with any multi-effects box, you're probably paying for at least a few features that you'll hardly use, if ever, and the M5 has a lot of weird effects.

Total deal-breakers for me. Personally, I wouldn't bother to look at it, let alone plug it in.

My Fender Mustang Floor let's me use multiple pedals in FX mode and I can use them like a stomp box full of pedals. I can also switch to stored patches and stomp pedals in and out on the fly.

It allows me to use reverb and/or delay (with tap tempo), add tremolo if I want it, use the OD/distortion or not, use the compressor for a clean boost for lead/rhythm all simultaneously. I can also go direct to the PA with it. Too bad they quit making the pedal but you can find them used on Ebay. I would not want a multi effects pedal that only allows one effect at a time...Line 6 is a good multi effects pedal and the more expensive ones would be worth checking out like the M9 and M13... :cool:

ps. the Mustang Floor also has an effects loop which allows one to use their own pedal or pedal board at any time which is a cool feature...

Take care, Larryz

The main issue with the M5 is that you can only dial up one effect at a time, so you really have to decide where to put it, up front for Wah/OD/Pitch effects, or near the end of your signal chain for Trem/Verb/Delay?

If you need Reverb for one tune, Tremolo for another, and Tape Echo for a third, all of those sounds are in the M5, but you'll only be able to use one at a time, so you can have Reverb or Tremolo, but not Reverb & Tremolo. You'll also be able to name the patches, which really helps. Keep in mind that with any multi-effects box, you're probably paying for at least a few features that you'll hardly use, if ever, and the M5 has a lot of weird effects.

Total deal-breakers for me. Personally, I wouldn't bother to look at it, let alone plug it in.

I got it as a supplemental effects unit, to place in the S/R loop of my GT-10, and I suspect a lot of the folks who buy the M5 are doing something similar with it. It does seem odd, to make a multi-effects unit that only offers one effect at a time, but WTH? It works for me.

The larger M9 and M13 units will let you chain multiple effects, like my GT-10, or your Digitech MFX, and they also include a built-in Looper. I didn't suggest an M9 or M13, because that would pretty much blow the budget.

I like the idea of the m5 if you want 1 space to be a lot of things that perhaps you don't use that much but want a phaser or something you have one if you want a extra boost you have one etc.

Right this has got my crazy brain thinking again.

I was chatting to a friend today about the Keeley Memphis Sun and was telling him I'm selling a few things to buy a Strymon Flint for its reverb and Tremolos for a 50s band and he said I should send the Keeley back and get a Strymon el Capistan as its more versatile and would go better with the Flint.

I do still have time to get a refund and do what he suggested , I like the Keeley a lot but obviously it does 1 thing, would an el Capistan be a move in the wrong direction pairing it with a Flint?

He also suggested just buying a Ibanez ADMINI ano delay,and a MXR carbon copy to use as my slapback 50s sound and or buy 2 ibanez ADMINIs and have them on different settings ready to go for the price of the Keeley.

He is a fan of Keeley pedals as am I, he owns the Katana and the Reverb pedal (can't remember which one he has now)

So would you guys stick with the Memphis sun + Strymon Flint or what I said above?

+1 on the MXR Carbon Copy, they are a great delay pedal that really makes a reverb come alive. If you buy a multi for $350 or even $500 like the Line6 M9 or M13, you can spend more than that on individual pedals if you buy 4 or more. So, make sure you like the effect as it's really a matter of your taste that counts. You can trade the Keeley for 2 cheaper pedals if they can supply what you are looking for. Best to take a trip down to a local GC or whatever local guitar store you have in your neck of the woods and try a few... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Guitar > Reverb > Tremolo is THE classic tremolo sound, and the order that those two effects are found in most, perhaps ALL, classic reverb/tremolo amps. Having to choose one or the other is, well, very limiting, NOT classic, and pretty lame.

I was chatting to a friend today about the Keeley Memphis Sun and was telling him I'm selling a few things to buy a Strymon Flint for its reverb and Tremolos for a 50s band and he said I should send the Keeley back and get a Strymon el Capistan as its more versatile and would go better with the Flint.

I do still have time to get a refund and do what he suggested , I like the Keeley a lot but obviously it does 1 thing, would an el Capistan be a move in the wrong direction pairing it with a Flint?

While I love having both a Strymon Flint and a Strymon El Capistan, I ALSO want a Keeley Memphis Sun.

The Flint and El Capistan DO pair WONDERFULLY together- but I'm SURE that the Memphis Sun must also pair wonderfully with the Flint, and the Memphis Sun absolutely NAILS those Sun Studio sounds; it probably does that better than the El Capistan could, if those classic, retro Memphis/Sun Studios sounds are what you want- and given your mission-statement, I think you do.

Keep the Memphis Sun and the Flint, and wait a long while to think about whether or not you want and need longer echo times. If so, the El Capistan is one of the best and most versatile tape-flavored digital-echoes out there.

The analog and analog-flavored echo pedals out there, such as the MXR Carbon Copy, are based on "bucket-brigade" Solid-State delay circuits. Nothing wrong with that- some of my favorite echo sounds and pedals are that type- just know that these are a whole different type from tape-echoes and tape-flavored digital echoes. The latter were more prevalent in the '60s (and maybe also even in the '50s?); as far as I know, "bucket-brigade" Solid-State echo didn't come around till the '70s... ?

There were also "oil can" and other weird echo units around in the '60s and '70s, which had very short delay-times and dark, weird tones. If you REALLY get into all this retro echo effects stuff, you might wind up looking into pedals that recreate those kinds of sounds, too.

For now, I think that you should keep that Memphis Sun, and worry about longer and/or weirder echoes later, further on down the road.

There were also "oil can" and other weird echo units around in the '60s and '70s, which had very short delay-times and dark, weird tones. If you REALLY get into all this retro echo effects stuff, you might wind up looking into pedals that recreate those kinds of sounds, too.

Well...there IS the Catalinbread Adineko

http://www.catalinbread.com/product/adineko/

Well...there IS the Catalinbread Adineko

http://www.catalinbread.com/product/adineko/

Yhup! :cool: Looks to be a great pedal; kinda want one, myself.

And Catalinbread's Echorec endeavors to recreate the sound of the Binson Echorec, famously heard on a lot of classic Pink Floyd albums, which used a rotating metal disc or drum against record and multiple playback heads.

I'm thinkin' that the Keeley Memphis Sun is tailor-made for much of Rikismyname's mission-statement, though.

That, or their Belle Epoch. Good enough that Eric Johnson has 3 on his pedalboard.

....so OF COURSE it's on my G.A.S. list now. :D

The Catalinbread Bell Epoch- another digital-echo pedal going for tape-echo sounds- looks to be a really cool pedal, too.

I think I'd like one, myself, but I wouldn't give up my Strymon El Capistan for one.

Hijacking Rikismyname's thread... :D:thu:

Working my way up to an El Cap. ;)

I wouldn't mind having a Belle Epoch, myself, but the drum-styled Echorec and oil-can-esque Adineko both call to me more. (Gawd, I'm such an echo-whore in the making! :crazy::D )

I think the Belle Epoch is best suited to being placed before the input of an amp- particularly a good tube-amp- and the El Capistan is best suited in an amp's effects-loop, or even 'post-amp' via a mic, speaker-emulator, or the like, and from there to a power-amp or PA or whatever. (Similar to EVH's placement of an EP-3 Echoplex tape-echo in his recording set-up for those classic first few VH albums.)