Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[video:youtube]Vy7yuj-UrNI

Album this comes from after tracking down the theme music from 'The Bridge' series - another excellent programme in the current wave of Nordic Noir

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

"A Rise in the Road" - Yellowjackets , but it's a 192kHz "remaster" recorded from the mixer from my DAC improvement setup, it needs to by 192kHz, then the recorded 3-DACs+processing when played back still sounds very much less digital, better stereo image, etc. It's a shame I don't know how copyright is stern about short examples, or I'd upload a short piece for others to try for themselves...

T.V.

I have listened to the latest Yellowjackets, Cohearence, twice, through WBGO's "Radar". I was going to listen to it, again, but it's gone, probably because the album came out. Unfortunately, at HDTracks I'm not in the right region, so I can't buy it if I'd want to. Grrr, that is so wrong!

I can safely say that the sax isn't as sometimes annoying as it was on (un-remastered, etc.) "Rise in the Road", which I like. Maybe others want Russ's piano a bit comping away for a brilliant and a couple more of top notch sax and electronic wind solo's, but hey, I'm a keyboardist, and we keyboard players got to manage the band members to follow normal fusion roles of fellow musicians, do we not.

Anyway, save Gary Walker's review for after listening, it's a great new album. But not available in this territory, except I had two free pre-listens at internet quality.

T.

I'm going to see the Yellowjackets at the end of the month. A drummer I work with is taking lessons from Will Kennedy. I met Will a couple of weeks ago and he is a great guy. I'd take lessons from him just get some of that huge positive energy to rub off on me.

I haven't heard the album yet, though. My drummer friend has. He got it direct from Will. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That sounds swell! Isn't there some sort of pecking order in the teacher world, I mean I would imagine the playing level of a guy like Will is world class, and that there are then not so many pupils that match his skill levels, or maybe he just prefers to teach students. For me Yellowjackets have been an musical inspiration for a long time.

T.

Currently, Prince and the NPG, Live at the Aladdin, Las Vegas on DVD, from 2003 with Maceo Parker and Sheila E in the band. Renato Neto killing it on keys. It's Prince in full-on James Brown mode, and it's jaw-droppingly funky and entertaining. What a loss...

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Just purchased this newly-released Bill Evans studio album - "Some other time " - without hearing a note in advance. Guess I should admit that I've become a Bill Evans "completist," reflexively gobbling up every recording without hesitation.

http://www.resonancerecords.org/_img/covers/BillEvans2.jpg

Discussion here:

http://www.jazzwax.com/2016/04/bill-evans-some-other-time.html

Just purchased this newly-released Bill Evans studio album - "Some other time " - without hearing a note in advance. Guess I should admit that I've become a Bill Evans "completist," reflexively gobbling up every recording without hesitation.

http://www.resonancerecords.org/_img/covers/BillEvans2.jpg

Discussion here:

http://www.jazzwax.com/2016/04/bill-evans-some-other-time.html

Thanks for reminding me of this. I'm previewing it on iTunes right now and OMG it's incredible sounding, as well as ... Bill. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

At the moment, Painted Bird, the latest from John Zorn's Simulacrum band, with John Medeski on organ. This is the 4th album in 12 months by this band, and, afaic, they are all essential. This one adds Kenny Wolleson on vibes to the core trio of Medeski, Matt Hollenberg (gtr) and Kenny Grohowski on drums. It jump-cuts between metal, jazz, free improv and proggy stuff, and I think it's pretty awesome.

[video:youtube]

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow