Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2772382 - 04/12/16 09:48 PM am i screwed?
no practice Offline

Loc: To
Hi

I did loads of research on the forum to treat my room that I recently moved into. I chose it because it was the top floor, only apartment (no adjoining apartments left or right) and the floor was concrete (only one apartment underneath) so its good for sound proofing. The building itself is concrete too so I was happy but after I moved in I recognized that the inside walls is plasterboard or similar for wires, pipes etc... to go up and down the building so noise travels through this gap easily.

My goal was to soundproof so no one can hear the low end especially, I dont need to have the volume too high to be honest but Im in Japan and noise is a big issue over here.

I attached 2 photos of the inner wall to give people an idea

http://postimg.org/image/93dew0ck3/c6c7b9c9/
http://postimg.org/image/xgptwbfjl/272da093/

About the building:
First 2 floors are a restaurant, 3 and 4 floors are apartments. I am on 4 floor. I can hear non distinct sounds - someone moving a table (the screeching from the table legs and ground), humming from machines etc...

If you need more information please let me know.

Before anything I wanted to check if this type of wall is basically going to make it extremely difficult or not.

I have accepted that I might have to use headphones only for my production. My music will be synth and software based, no vocals or anything like that

Thank you

#2772554 - 04/13/16 10:00 AM Re: am i screwed? [Re: no practice]
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
From those dark photos I have no idea how much trouble you'll have with sound leaking out of your room. Have you played music and gone downstairs to ask if the volume disturbs them? That's the first step.

-Ethan

#2772717 - 04/13/16 06:09 PM Re: am i screwed? [Re: Ethan Winer]
no practice Offline

Loc: To
Hi Ethan

no problem, will do the tests and get a full room layout for this post

Thank you

Moderator:  Ethan Winer