Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Putting together a pedalboard for 50s-60s

Oozing (edit: trying) to put together a pedalboard for 50s Rock n roll and some 60s tunes.

I. Thinking I need Delay,echo,compression,reverb,tremolo, power,and a tuner.

My shortlist so far:

Boss Space Echo Re-20

TC Electronic Alter Ego x4 echo and delay

T-Rex Fuel tank jr

Tc polytune 2

MXR Dyna comp or super Comp

Boss TR-2

Gator g tour small case pedalboard

So for that kind of sound what pedal should I look at?

I already have reverb sorted.

I like that the Alter Ego has 3 presets and can tinker with tone print , nod loads the flashback tone prints to.

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally not a big fan of the Dyna Comp compressor. I really prefer compressors with a blend knob. I use the Wampler Ego but you don't need that. I like it a lot but it is a $200 compressor. That could be overkill for a 50s & 60s band. Any compressor with a blend knob is good. There is basically only 2 compressor circuits in wide spread use. They either copy the Ross circuit or the Dyna Comp circuit. ( Well maybe 3 I guess there is the old oranger squeezer circuit )

Compressors are way easier to zero in with the blend control. Compression murders your highs and your initial attack. With the clean blend you can bring your your initial pick attack and highs back into the final sound while getting all the squish you want.

As far as Compressors without Blend controls I liked the Comp 66 from Visual Sound. Mine was built into the Route 66 pedal which includes a Tube Screamer clone.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The older MXR Compressor worked very well for a clean boost for lead work. I agree with CEB and would forget the MXR Dyna Comp. It will work well in front of a distortion but is not that great as a stand alone. I like my Tech21 Blonde for a quality clean boost and/or any others recommended by our forumites should do the job.

I've heard too many negatives on the TC pedals on this forum to even look at them. You probably won't need the polytune if you go for the Boss TU3 tuner which will run your other pedals with the daisy chain accessory. For a Delay Echo, I like my MXR Carbon Copy and/or my Keeley Memphis Sun...The Carbon copy will run on the 9v daisy but the Keeley must use an AC/DC wart. They both work very well for 50's, 60's, 70's, etc. Reverb is a must pedal IMHO, unless you already have a Fender spring reverb amp...

just a few thoughts... :cool:

ps. my Fender Floor can do all of the above, but they don't make them anymore. You would have to find a used one...

Take care, Larryz

Compressor pedal? THIS:

Homebrew Electronics Compressor Retro (HBE CPR) for $90.00 US or best offer on Reverb dot com

____ ggv7vmbwchrlgptfg4au.jpg

Vintage Ross-based compressor, upgraded and improved over the original Ross Compressor pedals. I own an earlier model HBE CPR without the Attack/blend control, and I love mine; it's especially excellent for single-coil and vintage-toned/output pickups, and particularly sheer MAGIC with a Telecaster style axe. The Attack control surely makes this pedal all the more versatile and even better suited to a wider range of guitars and pickups. I think that CEB would approve. It's also quieter and less 'hissy' than most compressor pedals. If you don't buy this one, I just might as soon as I can, just for the addition of that Attack control.

Echo? I love my Strymon El Capistan. If the Boss Space Echo RE-20 will do it for you at all, the El Capistan will do it MUCH better for you, in spades. It's three different types of tape-echo machines in one pedal. Like the original Roland Space Echo, there is a tanky, kinda weird spring-reverb option available to add in your choice of amount (or none at all) along with the tape-echo.

I've gotta admit that the Keeley Memphis Sun pedal seems mighty tasty, Larryz! It sure seems to suit Rikismyname's mission-statement, and I think I'd like one, myself- I'd likely leave it on A LOT of the time, even when using my El Capistan, for slap-back into longer ecoes...

Tremolo and reverb? I love my Strymon Flint. Reverb > Tremolo is THE classic tremolo sound, and the Flint does this very, very well, indeed, closely impersonating three very different classic vintage Fender tube-amp Tremolo circuits and their sounds, and three different flavors of reverb, one of them "blackface"/"silverface" Fender tube-amp Reverb, with greatly expanded dwell (reverb length) and tone capabilities. (You can also select Tremolo > Reverb, but... the most classic order of these two effects is so delicious that it may never seem necessary... ) Truly two (or more!) pedals in one.

Both of these Strymon pedals, separately or together, would do you VERY, VERY well for your stated mission. :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Did someone say nasty fuzz?

Gentlebeings, I present the Solidgoldfx Sasori:

[video:youtube]

https://reverb.com/item/1930980-solidgoldfx-sasori-fuzz

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

OP here.

Songs:

Shakin all over

Brand new Cadillac

That'll be the day

20 flight Rock

Bad boy

Rock around the clock tonight etc.

No fuzz needed lol.

How come there's no love for the Tc electronic pedals then ?

I need something that can save at least one delay preset because I'll be going from Rhythm playing/picking and strumming to shakin all over longer delays and can't be fiddling with my Knobs while playing live.

That's why I thought the TC Alter Ego would do the job as it has loads of choices of effect and you can call up 3 presets.

The keeley Memphis sun sounds nice, but again won't I have to keep turning stuff Inbetween songs?

Compression I have no idea, I just saw a reasonably priced Mxr that looked nice in red ;).

What about an Xotic SP I hear they are good?

I'm in the UK and can't seem to find a Memphis Sun to demo.

Regarding the Strymon Capistan - never heard of this pedal, is it like an echo/delay pedal then I gather?

Now I'm thinking maybe what I need is a Boss RE-20 Space Echo plus a carbon copy pedal for the other delays I need?

Or to tidy it all up a Line 6 M9 was recommended to me by a fellow guitarist but the small number of multifx I've tried have left me with a meh feeling.

I think with the boss tu-3 and the Polytune 2 you can daisy chain1 correct me if I'm wrong though.

For about £400 budget for pedals alone what would be on your shortlist for the above songs?

I have a Tc HOF for reverb.

I can borrow a Hotone Supa Trem to try also that the other guitarist said he could lend me.

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

That pedal looks nice but I'm in the U.K and I'd rather buy from local music shop or online from Dv247/GAK/PMTmusic/andertons.

Also is there any opinions on Mooer pedals?

I can see Mooer do all sorts of pedal that are mini like this delay

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/mooer-audio-ana-echo-analogue-delay-pedal/74462

For the prices of the mooers I could set them up differently next to each other and switch over maybe

How come there's no love for the Tc electronic pedals then ?

Or to tidy it all up a Line 6 M9 was recommended to me by a fellow guitarist but the small number of multifx I've tried have left me with a meh feeling.

Too many of us have run into serious issues with the newer T.C. Electronics gear, pedals and rack gear, both. The Toneprint pedals have the switches mounted directly on the circuit boards, which means you can break your circuit board with aggressive stomping; once you do, the repair cost is close to buying a whole new pedal.

Their customer service also leaves much to be desired. Between the two issues, most of us have chosen to avoid their products.

As far as multi-effects, I'm a big fan of the Boss GT-series effects, but there are trade-offs with any multi-effects. I have a small Line 6 M5, which I've been very pleased with, and one of our members recently switched from a Boss GT-3 to a Line 6 M13, as his main multi-effects processor.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

+1 Caevan, the Memphis Sun could be left on all the time just to fine tune any amp's reverb sound... :thu:

+2 Winston, great answers on the TC problems and on the Line 6 M13. I'm not sure of the money conversion but $500 US should fit the budget as you would have all the pedals and presets you could ask for in the OP's genre or anyother... :2thu:

Take care, Larryz

Regarding the Strymon Capistan - never heard of this pedal, is it like an echo/delay pedal then I gather?

Yeah, the Strymon El Capistan is a tape-echo flavored pedal, with three modes replicating three different types of vintage tape-echo machines, LOADS of features, and tap-tempo. I absolutely LOVE mine- when the Wow & Flutter type modulation and "Krinkle" worn-tape character are turned up, it adds a wonderful spongy, squishy, bouncy feel and color to my playing. It can also store one Favorite set of control-settings in memory, that can be recalled at any time with an additional small "Tap/Favorite Switch", and then returned to whatever the actual given control-settings are at the time.

+1 Caevan, the Memphis Sun could be left on all the time just to fine tune any amp's reverb sound... :thu:

I'd be diggin' that fat, warm, retro slapback... I could be tempted to just leave that on most of the time, even when using longer delay-timed echoes with my El Capistan. :D I'm kind of an echo junky...

B'Datt - B'Dattattaa-datt - B'Datt B'Datt - B'Datt - B'Dattattaa-datt - B'Datt B'Datt - B'Datt - B'Dattattaa-datt - B'Datt B'Datt -

That's a shame about the TC electronics pedal, I had 3 or 4 of their pedals on my shortlist!

So I'm thinking I need to go to a music shop and try

Boss space echo RE-20

Keeley Memphis Sun

Mooer ana echo

And even a Line 6 M9 to see what I can do.

With the keeley Memphis would you use the reverb built into your amp or another pedal or use the reverb from the keeley Memphis pedal?

I'm more of a set and forget type, I like to find a sound save it , or just not touch it unless I'm adjusting reverb or eq.

With the keeley Memphis would you use the reverb built into your amp or another pedal or use the reverb from the keeley Memphis pedal?

I'm more of a set and forget type, I like to find a sound save it , or just not touch it unless I'm adjusting reverb or eq.

It depends on how you have it set, what you're using it for- it does more than one thing, has three Modes and a wide variety of ways that you can set their controls. It'll do a really nice vintage '50s and '60s style slap-back echo, short delay/multi repeats echoes, and longer echoes (up to 666 milliseconds, if I recall correctly), as well as reverb and Auto Double Tracking. Check out these videos:

____ [video:youtube]

____ [video:youtube]

____

On most reverb pedals, I like leaving them off and use the amp reverb for my stock setting until I want more for surf or for certain songs. With the Keeley, I like to just dial in the sweet spot and leave it on. I can leave it off while practicing until the mood hits me and then I hear how much it improves the amp when it's kicked on, even though it's subtle. You can get a mix of delay and reverb with one pedal, and you can go light or heavy with each, which kind of is cool...so, yes it can be used either way... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

After researching I'm thinking from what I've heard I'm going to try

Boss Tu-3

MXR Super Comp (with attack adjustment) but there is still a ? On this

Keeley Memphis Sun

Plus my Hall of fame reverb

I'll power the keeley with my 1 spot adapter then use another 1 spot adapter to power the Tu-3 and daisy chain to power the super comp and HOF reverb.

What you think?

Glad I came here , because after looking online TC Electronic products seem to have a lot of faults which are expensive to fix, I imagine the boss tuner will last forever even though I prefer the look and function of the Polytune I just can't be doing with switches breaking.

Some Mogami patch cables

Pedal train nano+

Some heavy duty Velcro.

That should do it, I just hope he keeley does the job, I'll add a mini delay pedal like the Mooer speecho or something later to so I have a different delay for certain songs

That's one of the main benefits of digital multi-effects; dial up your sound once, store it, and it's done. On units where you can name your sounds, as well, it's a great way to organize a set list within the multi-effects, and when you look down at your feet, you can quickly see that you've dialed up the Classic Surf Sound that you wanted, instead of the Rockabilly Twang you were using for Blue Suede Shoes.

I remember reading that there is a certain amount of variance among settings on potentiometers. Take six, or eight or ten Tube Screamers, and turn all the knobs to 12 o'clock, and you'll have a little difference among them. While a difference of +/- a few percent may not be critical when we're talking about the Drive knob on a Tube Screamer, it can amount to a good bit of difference if we're talking about the Delay Time knob on a Digital Delay. On my multi-effects, if I program a sound with 375ms of Delay, I know that I'll still have 375ms of Delay next time I turn it on.

One other thought; most pedalboards come with the Velcro you'll need, so you may be able to cross that expense off your list. (My Pedaltrain boards come with Velcro for the rails and the pedals.) Double-check when you buy or order your pedalboard.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Tele Baja with stock pick ups.

I totally guarantee that the HBE CPR that I posted a link to above here would be SHEER MAGIC with your guitar- it's a fantastic combination with a Tele; classic recorded Tele sounds just pop out of your speakers. And, I mean, the guy only wants $90 (US$) for it- or you could make him an offer- THAT should be a killer deal for you, even with costs for shipping to the UK, right?

I'm telling ya, it's a better compressor pedal than any of the MXR offerings. Not to diss MXR, it's just that the HBE CPR is quieter, cleaner, and more 'natural' sounding and feeling. AND this one is CHEAP- used/Mint-Condition... ! :crazy: I'm hoping that it's still available when I can afford to buy it for myself, if you don't! :D I want it! It'll be better for my Les Paul than the HBE CPR that I already have, which doesn't have the Attack/blend control...

Someone else here bought an HBE CPR on my recommendation a few years ago, and was very happy with it. I'm trying to remember or search-up who it was...

I'll power the keeley with my 1 spot adapter then use another 1 spot adapter to power the Tu-3 and daisy chain to power the super comp and HOF reverb.

What you think?

I like the 1 Spot power supplies; I have and use one. You may find that the HOF might work better with its own separate Power Supply, a lot of digital pedals will make weird hashy-hummy noises when daisy-chained for power. The same may or may not prove true with that Keeley Memphis Sun (man, what a sweet pedal! I want one, too... ).

Pedal train nano+

Some heavy duty Velcro.

The Pedaltrain Nano should come with all the Velcro you'll need; and they have specific recommendations for using as little as necessary on the bottoms of your pedals, too, check their instructions and all that. I have a Pedaltrain 'board and LOVE it. Mine came with juuust a couple of inches or so less that I needed to really fully cover the 'board the way I wanted to; I asked the online retailer that I'd bought it from if they could send me just a short piece of the material, and Pedaltrain shipped me an entire roll of it completely free. Great company, great customer service and support- UNLIKE the current TC Electronic company (they USED to be a great co., as well)...

Yeah it could see it comes with Velcro but I like the heavy duty stuff from Velcro, I need some more anyway for my keyboard stand.

Thanks for all the help and I may need to call on you again once it's here but I've ordered

Memphis Sun (was thinking boss RE-20 or something but I wanna see what the keeley is like)

Boss TU-3 (was gonna get the Polytune 2 but you've steered me away)

MXR Dyna Comp ( was going to get the EHX soul preacher or that pedal in America (home brew) but this will be here tomorrow to try which will give me 1 day before a full band rehearsal.

The Keeley will take longer to get here because I had to order from thomann in Germany.

I'll see what the reverb is like on the keeley and possibly sell the HOF and get a boss tr-2 Trem pedal.

I will have 2 1 spot 9v power adapter and a Mooer daisy chain .

I'm thinking I'll power the thunder and compressor,HOF off 1, and the Keeley off the other one possibly.

I really wanted to try the Xotic SP pedal but don't have the funds, hopefully the MXR Dyna comp will even out my telecaster a little without colouring the sound

I've done the order but something called a Janglebox Nano has come up locally used for £85 with t-boost.. Is this any good? I have time to change my order for the Dyna comp

If the Dyna-Comp isn't quite what you had in mind, the MXR Micro Amp is a good, simple Boost/Buffer. I had one at the front of my pedalboard for years, and only retired it because it's really old (original 80's). No tone coloration, just a little extra oomph! when you need it. It's also a great buffer for driving long pedal chains.

I've done the order but something called a Janglebox Nano has come up locally used for £85 with t-boost.. Is this any good? I have time to change my order for the Dyna comp

THAT should prove to be a VERY GOOD deal and a very good compressor-pedal for you! As good or even better than the HBE CPR that I suggested, and a very good deal and local to you, to boot. JUMP on that immediately!!

Roger McGuinn, among many other greats, uses JangleBox compressor-pedals- need I say more?

JangleBox JB Nano ( <-- Link )

__________________ http://www.janglebox.com/images/jb%20nano_print%20(small).jpg

As for that Keeley Memphis Sun- I think you're gonna LOVE it. '50s/'60s sounds 'n' vibe 'n' Rockabilly 'n' such being your bailiwick, it should be WAAAY up your alley. :cool:I want one now, too. :crazy: Again, it does beautiful slap-back echo and Auto Double Tracking sounds; THOSE are the features that I want it for. It may or may not need to be run off its own Power Supply, or a good isolated PS such as that of a T-Rex Fuel Tank, Voodoo Lab Pedal Power, etc.

Speaking of classic, retro studio sounds, further on down the road in your future, you might really like the Strymon Decco, which simulates having two vintage studio reel-to-reel tape-machines in a stomp-box for various old-fashioned studio-tricks previously only attainable in old-fashioned studios. Another one that I want but don't yet have. Look that and the El Capistan up on Strymon's 'site 'n' check 'em out.

Yeah it could see it comes with Velcro but I like the heavy duty stuff from Velcro, I need some more anyway for my keyboard stand.

If heavy-duty fastening-material is what you want, I suggest 3M Dual Lock; it is the very best. Some pedal-board users find it TOO heavy-duty! :crazy: Using that, your pedals will ONLY come off your 'board if you REALLY, REALLY insist they do. Good stuff; used in industrial applications such as passenger-trains where reliability and safety are paramount.

The MXR Dyna comp has already shipped. All o want to do is even out my dynamics to fit better in a live mix, will the Dyna comp do that ok?

If not I'll try this Janglebox if it's still available.

Cheers for the tip regarding Velcro, I find that this stuff is awesome, very strong and great quality .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Velcro-Heavy-Duty-Stick-Black-VEL60241/dp/B00186Q9AK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460573437&sr=8-1&keywords=velcro+heavy+duty