Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2768237 - 03/29/16 09:50 AM Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB
RedKey Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Chicago
I missed this at NAMM. It's on my radar now.
While still fiction, I hope this makes it to production.

KC Island
#2768242 - 03/29/16 09:58 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: RedKey]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
3 stereo inputs
USB input DA (for Mainstage and similar)
External FX loop (with footswitch)
Separate Main and Monitor outputs, with individual ground lift
Shared Sustain pedal for two different keyboards
MIDI I/O
$399 price point
May 2016 ETA (hopeful)

#2768243 - 03/29/16 10:06 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
needs more channels!
www.echoesrocks.com

#2768244 - 03/29/16 10:13 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: DanL]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, for me, three analog + DA would be perfect for my rig. A bigger rig hardware rig than that, I already have several line mixers (Ashly, etc).

YMMV. But schlepping 3 hardware boards is all my back wants to handle.

#2768246 - 03/29/16 10:27 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Lots of neat new stuff from Radial.

There are a couple of devices I could use if I ever crawl off back the the genre where I belong.

The Bumper on page 6 would be handy if I wanted to run my guitar and pedal steel or possible a lap steel into my Blackface Twin.

The Headlight Pro on Page 7 would be handy if I ever electrify my Banjos or Mandolin but I have not found a Banjo pickup system I like as well as a mic.

http://www.radialeng.com/pdfs/intercom-namm-2016-web.pdf

Key Largo would be extremely handy to a lot of keyboard players. I already have all the functionality I need covered in my rack but if you are playing vintage synths or anything requiring switchable external effect chains the switchable loop could be really handy. Especially if it is multiple effects units. One switch to turn on the whole loop instead of doing the pedal dance. Otherwise a pedal looper system system will usually start at about $200 but albeit is a whole lot more flexible.

The common sustain pedal I already have through the Kronos as my controller.

Edited by CEB (03/29/16 10:32 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2768254 - 03/29/16 11:11 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: DanL]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: DanL
needs more channels!

No, you need to bring fewer boards to your gigs.

Signed, the rest of the people sharing the stage with you. wink

(yes, I know, the above is blasphemous... but I stand by it smile )

#2768267 - 03/29/16 11:54 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Sven Golly]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No, the Key Largo WON'T work for me, either...

#2768284 - 03/29/16 12:36 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
I only bring 3 boards but I use 10 channels. I was proud that I trimmed my rig to use less space than the L shaped 4 board rig.

1/2 -Vent from SK, 3/4- SK extra sounds, 5/6- FA08, 7/8- FA08 sub out for samples, 9/10- Nord A1
www.echoesrocks.com

#2768302 - 03/29/16 01:23 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: DanL]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yup, this device isn't for that config, Dan.

Just out of personal curiosity, what do use for a mixer?

#2768408 - 03/29/16 06:49 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
New&Improv Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Corvallis, OR
That thing looks way cool! Plus, I've used Radial DI's for years, they make really good stuff. My first thought was that it didn't have enough channels, but I think I could actually make it work even for my way-too-complicated 4-keyboard setup. Also, I bet you could use the EFX return as another stereo input. Hmmm.
-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

#2768417 - 03/29/16 07:15 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: New&Improv]
Leh173 Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Thanks for posting this Redkey! Looks quite interesting! Could be great for my needs in future.

#2807343 - 10/01/16 08:56 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Leh173]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Geoff caught this one with AES news. First it's made by Radial so I am going to assume at the moment it's built like a tank and quiet as heck, and secondly it's a foot switchable mixer made for keyboardists with 3 stereo inputs, an fx send, and balanced XLR outs.

#2807344 - 10/01/16 09:37 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: ElmerJFudd]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

I missed this the first time. I like this, and great price if built to their usual quality.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2807349 - 10/02/16 03:11 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
JerryA Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England
Yeah, lots of features and a good form factor for those of us who didn't rack a mixer or having racked one have decided they don't want to carry the rack lol. I've been using Radial D/A for a couple of years now and loving the robustness and ease of use.

#2807357 - 10/02/16 06:01 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: JerryA]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
Mono fx loop unfortunately. And I don't get the "sustain pedal." Also not sure where or how it would mount in an accessible spot – is there a threaded socket for a mic stand?

#2807367 - 10/02/16 07:31 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Reezekeys]
MP Hall of Fame Member

They haven't posted info on the site yet that I can find, no spec sheet or manual yet. My guess is that 1/4 out and in for FX send is insert Y type (Tip Ring and Sleeve) so stereo. Vintage Audio King has this copy:

"The Radial Key-Largo is a Tonebone first... It is a combination keyboard mixer, DAC, effects loop and remote control in a compact pedal format. The design begins with three stereo input channels for your analog synths. Each channel is equipped with a level control and an effects send. Then, a 4th input for a USB connection to your laptop to play back audio files and mix them with the live keys. A stereo effects loop lets you add a rackmount delay or reverb to your vintage Mini-Moog or share it with the others and remotely turn on the effects loop using the left onboard footswitch. Stereo direct outputs let you feed your stage monitors while balanced isolated outputs feed the PA system. A middle latching footswitch lets you take things one step further with a contact closure that can be used to activate a second effect in the loop. A third momentary footswitch is assigned for sustain, making it easy to connect to your piano patch. Side access MIDI connectors are available to pass-through data and add flexibility."

Not sure if this information is pre-final design. I guess we'll have to wait for specs and manual from Radial for clarification.

The intention seems to be set levels and put it on the floor. Left foot switch engages and disengages the FX send/return and the right one replaces at least one sustain pedal - you run a cable to one of your keyboards that uses simple on/off momentary (it also apparently can reverse polarity for stubborn keyboards). Obviously if your stage piano supports half safety and triple pedal functionality this isn't for that instrument.

#2807376 - 10/02/16 09:41 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Jonathan Hughes Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Amherst, NY, USA
"And I don't get the "sustain pedal." Also not sure where or how it would mount in an accessible spot – is there a threaded socket for a mic stand?"

It's meant to go on the floor.

#2807380 - 10/02/16 10:40 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Jonathan Hughes]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
Got it! Sometimes it takes a minute. smile

#2807429 - 10/02/16 08:41 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: out in the sticks
Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
Geoff caught this one with AES news. First it's made by Radial so I am going to assume at the moment it's built like a tank and quiet as heck, and secondly it's a foot switchable mixer made for keyboardists with 3 stereo inputs, an fx send, and balanced XLR outs.

Look what´s on the back in this AES/SOS vid and you´ll know how it works and what the features are.
The back is visible at 01:23 of the vid.

3 analog stereo ins unbalanced w/ vol and FX send pots

USB stereo in w/ vol pot

balanced TRS stereo monitor outs w/ volume pot and ground lift

balanced isolated XLR stereo main outs w/ vol-pot & ground lift

FX loop (possibly mono-send/stereo return but not sure)
FX loop defeat ft.switch

Right beneath the USB input there are TWO connectors labeled "volume pedal" and I guess it will act as a master volume for the complete rig.
If yes, that´s cool !

THIS is the final version,- so they got rid of the middle "remote" ft-switch and replaced the "remote" connectors by the "volume pedal" ones.

MIDI I/O "passthru" connectors,- dunno if I´d need ´em ever ...

The mysterious "sustain" ft.-sw. is just only a momentary switch w/ 2 identical outputs on the right side, so cables connected can run to any devices offering inputs for momentary switch pedals,- and when the inputs on the receiving device(s) are user programable,- well ... the momentary switch can do whatever you want for the device(s).
Start/Stop sequencers/ step sequencers, trigger ENVs or samples or use it for any MIDI CC (sustain CC#64 included) you like.

Well, I´d wish the Key Largo had balanced inputs too.
For small rigs you plug in your keys, for larger rigs you´d plug in the outputs of your line-mixers in racks.
Would be ice on the cake using it as summing box for more mixers.

The other vid is the prototype demo.

A.C.

#2807433 - 10/02/16 09:51 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Al Coda]
GDP Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: So-Cal
Interesting! I use 3 boards but I split the outputs on the NE4d so I need 4 inputs on the mixer. 1 or 2 can be mono. It would be a definate addition if the Aux can be used for that handy 4th input.

#2807463 - 10/03/16 06:52 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: GDP]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: GDP
Interesting! I use 3 boards but I split the outputs on the NE4d so I need 4 inputs on the mixer. 1 or 2 can be mono. It would be a definate addition if the Aux can be used for that handy 4th input.

In fact it has 5 (!) stereo inputs,- USB is the 4th one and the FX return,- when it is stereo,- is the 5th.
When the FX send/returns are stricktly mono, that´s a mono-line input at least.

I wonder what quality the USB stereo in w/ DA-converter is and how much latency it will introduce.
The printout on the back says it needs drivers.
Which ?
Probably it only works w/ a laptop and USB drivers installed but not w/ every keyboard´s or module´s USB output.

As an example, Access Virus TI2 series synths transfer data, MIDI & audio over USB. Big plus.
So it should work.

But I guess only a few other keyboards/ modules can do that while most others allow usage as an USB audio interface (receive data and convert to audio) only.

I also wonder if it might work w/ devices like Audio2USB cable:

A.C.

#2807472 - 10/03/16 07:24 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Al Coda]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
Whoa. I don't need a mixer but I would have considered this if it had come out before I picked up my soundcraft (which was a real bargain so no regrets).

So this would allow you to connect a laptop (possibly tablet) to usb and have audio mixed with hardware keyboards? If so that is a big deal, one unit to handle two jobs (audio interface and mixer).

#2816817 - 11/22/16 01:23 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Stokely]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Does anyone know if this ever made it to market? I see it as 'SPECIAL ORDER' from several retailers, but it's not even on the Radial website...

#2816823 - 11/22/16 02:15 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Dr88s]
Sven Golly Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Dr88s
Does anyone know if this ever made it to market? I see it as 'SPECIAL ORDER' from several retailers, but it's not even on the Radial website...

It was pulled back for some redesign/tweaking earlier this year, which delayed the launch date. It's still coming...

#2816828 - 11/22/16 02:40 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Sven Golly]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Thanks Sven.

#2816846 - 11/22/16 04:11 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Dr88s]
roygBoo! Offline

Loc: Pacific NW
thanks for bringing this up Dr88, and for answering Sven - I've had my eye on this thing for a while, and have also been wondering why none seem to have appeared anywhere.

I hope to goodness the re-design involves making it class compliant, so that the USB would work with iPad/iPhone.

Not doing so would be kind of a bone-head move, in my opinion, given the explosion in the music/iOS sphere.

Anyway, guess I'll keep waiting and hoping.

#2816852 - 11/22/16 04:33 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Sven Golly]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Sven Golly

It was pulled back for some redesign/tweaking earlier this year, which delayed the launch date. It's still coming...

Oh? any word on if the feature set is final print? Or might we be looking at a slightly different tool when it ships?

#2816853 - 11/22/16 04:35 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Sven Golly Offline
10k Club

Oh? any word on if the feature set is final print? Or might we be looking at a slightly different tool when it ships?

I haven't fact-checked it, but Al Coda's post (look up 10 posts or so, from early October) seems to have ID'ed most of them. Don't think it was anything too drastic, just some feedback from customers that had them retool some things. twothumbs

#2842284 - 03/16/17 03:30 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Sven Golly]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Las Vegas
Radial is on top of their game.
They've come a long way since just DI days.
I'll be happy to use any mixer they make.
Using their Space Heater to warm up Zebra2 HZ, Keyscape, PTeq and HX-3.
Big and Warm Tubes really give virtual plugs a nice boost.

#2842289 - 03/16/17 04:21 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: hardware]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Radial tells me (through Facebook messaging) that the intended February ship date for the Key Largo has slipped to end of March.

While nothing is sure until it actually ships, Sweetwater is now accepting pre-orders.

#2842319 - 03/16/17 06:30 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Great info. I had just checked on the Radial website yesterday to see if it was listed yet. Was actually wondering where the heck it is.

#2842321 - 03/16/17 06:39 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: ElmerJFudd]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I just re-checked the Facebook message and they said "mid March" for shipping. Which is, like...today. So I'm not holding my breath, but am optimistic this will start shipping sooner rather than later.

On a side note, it appears that Facebook is one of the fastest ways to get a real person to reply from Radial. So there's that...

#2842322 - 03/16/17 06:40 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And I see db has made me a HoF member with a suitable tagline.

I have truly arrived.

smile

thanks, db!!!

#2842323 - 03/16/17 06:49 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sticking with the Facebook lingo, that's an acknowledgment we can all like!

#2842367 - 03/17/17 03:50 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: ElmerJFudd]
jyrkik Offline

Loc: Finland
Hi,

The concept of Key-Largo inspired me to build this

https://stonetaper.wordpress.com/the-compact-keyboard-mixer/

No USB, but it has proven to be handy to have the keys just simply summed with a box in the pedalboard. It doesn't even have channel faders as most modern keyboards have reasonably equal output level anyway. Works for me.

Edited by jyrkik (03/17/17 03:51 AM)

#2842386 - 03/17/17 05:48 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: jyrkik]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

Cool mixer project Mr Taper!

If it's not a personal question - logarithmic or linear?

Cheers, Mike.

#2842472 - 03/17/17 11:23 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: timwat
And I see db has made me a HoF member with a suitable tagline.

I have truly arrived.

smile

thanks, db!!!
roll like

#2842556 - 03/18/17 12:54 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: stoken6]
jyrkik Offline

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: stoken6
Cool mixer project Mr Taper!

If it's not a personal question - logarithmic or linear?

Cheers, Mike.

Hah,

If I had a choice I'd definitely prefer Alog. But (half)seriously, here's the story
http://www.forensic-architecture.org/lexicon/stone-tape-theory/

Cheers,
Jyrki

#2842558 - 03/18/17 02:42 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
It has the air of a product for keyboards designed by guitarists. Lots of knobs but designed to sit on the floor? I don't want to have to reach under my rig to tweak the volume of a keyboard midway through a set, let alone a song. Again, the effects loop thing makes perfect sense for guitarists but for keyboard players, in reality most of us use on-board effects only. Yes, there are exceptions like maybe a Moog but many will already have DSP-equipped mixers which can handle that where needed. I like Radial products a lot but this one feels a little schizophrenic.

#2842568 - 03/18/17 04:46 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Aidan]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Here's the Radial Space Heater.
Largo is a great idea, but their Tube Based Mixer sounds fantastic.
Largo with Tubes would be a Home Run.

adult image upload

#2842572 - 03/18/17 05:03 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: hardware]
fjzingo Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Anyone got their hands on a key largo yet?

Cantaloop
Soulfetch
Soulbox

#2842579 - 03/18/17 06:23 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Aidan]
Rusty Mike Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Central NJ
Originally Posted By: Aidan
It has the air of a product for keyboards designed by guitarists. Lots of knobs but designed to sit on the floor? I don't want to have to reach under my rig to tweak the volume of a keyboard midway through a set, let alone a song. Again, the effects loop thing makes perfect sense for guitarists but for keyboard players, in reality most of us use on-board effects only. Yes, there are exceptions like maybe a Moog but many will already have DSP-equipped mixers which can handle that where needed. I like Radial products a lot but this one feels a little schizophrenic.

That is exactly what I think when I see this pedal. Who uses a single pedal to control the volume of their entire rig? Which of us would step on a button instead of a pedal for sustain? These two features imply that you're playing a single instrument through the box, like a guitarist.

I can see the effects loop being valuable, but only because you can adjust the effects level per channel.

The form factor, ruggedness and (I'm sure) electronics are great, but some of the design features have me bewildered. It's also about $100 more than I'd care to spend. Ditch the MIDI, sustain button and volume pedal loop, knock the price down and it would have more appeal to me.

#2842678 - 03/18/17 03:31 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Rusty Mike]
U.Honey Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Rusty Mike

The form factor, ruggedness and (I'm sure) electronics are great, but some of the design features have me bewildered. It's also about $100 more than I'd care to spend. Ditch the MIDI, sustain button and volume pedal loop, knock the price down and it would have more appeal to me.

Ditch the MIDI, sustain pedal button, and effect loop. Add internal power supply and it would be perfect.

bhphotovideo.com says "Expected availability: Apr 5, 2017".

Edited by U.Honey (03/18/17 03:32 PM)

#2842755 - 03/18/17 07:53 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: jyrkik]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: jyrkik

The concept of Key-Largo inspired me to build this

https://stonetaper.wordpress.com/the-compact-keyboard-mixer/

Awesome !

A.C.

#2842761 - 03/18/17 08:07 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Al Coda]
midinut Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: North Carolina
I like the thought of using this without the sustain or volume pedal functions. Just a DI with ground lifts with room for three stereo sets of keys PLUS your PC/Mac. Wondering if it has the Jensen transformers like the other Radial DIs do.

#2842770 - 03/18/17 08:25 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: midinut]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
I'm with midinut on this. I wouldn't use the pedal functions, midi, or the effects loop. It still eliminates an external DI from the mixer and an external audio interface from computer.

#2842842 - 03/19/17 09:21 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: davedoerfler]
roygBoo! Offline

Anyone know if the USB works with an iPad? I can't seem to find any info on that.

#2847049 - 04/05/17 04:54 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: roygBoo!]
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2847061 - 04/05/17 05:32 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: ElmerJFudd]
PGR Offline

And now also on Radial´s webb:
http://www.radialeng.com/keylargo.php

#2854483 - 05/09/17 04:02 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: roygBoo!]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Originally Posted By: roygbiv
Anyone know if the USB works with an iPad? I can't seem to find any info on that.
I'm going to say no. Looking through the PDF Manual, it only mentions things like "computer or laptop," or "Mac or PC." It never says iPad, iPhone, or iOS device. That's really too bad. They'd have a killer device on their hands if it did (I think it's still pretty good and am considering adding one to my rig).

I wonder if it's something like they would have had to deal with the proprietary interface on iOS and didn't want to deal with that issue and cost. Still, I wonder if it could drive an iOS device over USB and then you could connect the audio outs to one of the analog channels. Not as ideal, but workable.

I was wondering about mono as I wrote this.

"For mono keyboards, simply connect to the left input only – the Key-Largo will automatically route the signal to both the left and right outputs." That's pretty cool. thu

#2854531 - 05/10/17 05:40 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY

Yamaha C3, '62 A100, Leslie 145, CP4, Mojo, HX3 Module, Vent 2, Electro 4D, AX Synth, SSv3, Markbass CMD 121P, Chopped Leslie 145, RCF TT08As

#2854535 - 05/10/17 06:41 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Al Quinn]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I like the way it is placed in this photo. Were I to get one, I would use it like this, not on the floor.

#2854538 - 05/10/17 06:52 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: davedoerfler]
jimkost2002 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Mine is due to be recieved tomorrow.
will report after setup and test

#2854544 - 05/10/17 07:26 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: jimkost2002]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Hey all...
Just to make sure I am reading the documentation properly:
Not only is this a 3 channel stereo mixer, it can also be used as an audio/i/o?

Cool. This would simplify my rig even more. I would set it as David above says he would.

Can't wait to hear reports. If it is a robust as my old Pro D2, it will be good.

#2854547 - 05/10/17 07:48 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: EscapeRocks]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Mine is due tomorrow also!
I want to control my whole rig with one vol. pedal. Can't take 3 vol. pedals, driving me crazy. I can deal with 2 (Piano/Organ) but synth sounds vary so much unless I spend time 'leveling' all my patches and I don't have time to do that!
I'll trim with my hands on the boards themselves or the Key Largo. Seems using my hands is much less musically distracting than shuffling my feet around!

I plan to put it on the top right of the Casio Px-5S. It would also allow for easier setup also in regard to cabling all the pedals 2 of which were passive signal.

Hoping it's all gonna workout. If it doesn't it maybe up on the Forum classifieds. coffee

Edited by Legatoboy (05/10/17 08:54 AM)

#2854551 - 05/10/17 08:03 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: EscapeRocks]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks
Hey all...
Three channels of analog audio plus one for USB audio coming from Mac or PC. They mention MainStage a few times in those trade show videos so they were clearly thinking of that app.

#2854559 - 05/10/17 08:42 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
Hey all...
Three channels of analog audio plus one for USB audio coming from Mac or PC. They mention MainStage a few times in those trade show videos so they were clearly thinking of that app.

#2854595 - 05/10/17 11:38 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: EscapeRocks]
Sven Golly Offline
10k Club

Finally have one of these in my hands; man, it's a hefty little bugger! Built like a tank, in typical Radial fashion... maybe even more so! twothumbs

I think Radial definitely has another winner on their hands with this one.

#2854599 - 05/10/17 11:39 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Sven Golly]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

snax

#2854600 - 05/10/17 11:44 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Legatoboy]
Sven Golly Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Legatoboy
snax

Sorry, that came across a little fanboy-ish, huh? wink

#2854602 - 05/10/17 11:54 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Sven Golly]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Wasn't thinking that at all Sven, but now that you mention it. drool

No, I had no plans on buying another mixer. I'm urious myself also.
Mine comes tomorrow, unless it's a day early! Sweetwater shipped it USPS.

Originally Posted By: Legatoboy
snax

Sorry, that came across a little fanboy-ish, huh? wink

Edited by Legatoboy (05/10/17 01:02 PM)

#2854765 - 05/11/17 08:33 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Legatoboy]
TomKittel Offline

I hope that contrary to expectations the Key Largo will support iOS. Would be a dealbreaker for me if not.

#2854771 - 05/11/17 08:47 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: TomKittel]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The manual is not yet on Radial's web page, that should provide a definitive answer when posted.

#2854774 - 05/11/17 08:59 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: davedoerfler]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
The manual is not yet on Radial's web page, that should provide a definitive answer when posted.

I read it last night

Key Largo User Guide

#2854786 - 05/11/17 09:41 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: EscapeRocks]
roygBoo! Offline

I'm with Tom K, i gotta have the iPad connectivity.

Just read the link on the manual David posted above - still a glimmer of hope - it says (paraphrasing) should just be plug-and-play for Mac, but PC will need a driver.

This could suggest the KeyLargo is class compliant, and thus MAY work with some iOS devices. Alternatively, they may have simply done some tweaks that work with the Mac OS, but couldn't get to work with PC's without drivers.

One would think if it was working with iPhones/iPads, they would be advertising the heck out of that point.

Anyway, any of you early adopters, if you get a chance, and have an iPhone/iPad, and a camera connection kit, could you please see if the KeyLargo will work with iOS devices?

#2854814 - 05/11/17 11:19 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: davedoerfler]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

What, are my posts chopped liver???

Originally Posted By: roygbiv
I'm going to say no. Looking through the PDF Manual, it only mentions things like "computer or laptop," or "Mac or PC." It never says iPad, iPhone, or iOS device. That's really too bad. They'd have a killer device on their hands if it did (I think it's still pretty good and am considering adding one to my rig).

I wonder if it's something like they would have had to deal with the proprietary interface on iOS and didn't want to deal with that issue and cost. Still, I wonder if it could drive an iOS device over USB and then you could connect the audio outs to one of the analog channels. Not as ideal, but workable.

I was wondering about mono as I wrote this.

"For mono keyboards, simply connect to the left input only – the Key-Largo will automatically route the signal to both the left and right outputs." That's pretty cool. thu

#2854824 - 05/11/17 12:08 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
Canoehead Offline

Loc: Belleville, Ontario, Canada
I'm going to pick up my Key Largo on Saturday. I will see what, if any, IPad connectivity there is, and let you know.

Cheers,
Gord

#2854825 - 05/11/17 12:08 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
roygBoo! Offline

Sorry Joe, now that you mention it, I do remember you noting that earlier, guess I was in a hurry.

I resigned to the likelihood that your analysis is correct, but am hoping that your proposal that at least it can drive iOS-based instruments will turn out to be true.

Manual is not clear either way. Just holding out hope that the reason it is "plug and play" with the Mac is because they made the KeyLargo class compliant.

As an example - I have an old Lexicon Omega interface that was designed way before iPads were a big thing, but because they made the Omega class compliant, it actually can work as an interface for my iPad.

roy

#2854826 - 05/11/17 12:09 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: roygBoo!]
roygBoo! Offline

Thanks Gord, many of us are dying to know (ok, not dying but maybe whimpering)

#2854827 - 05/11/17 12:12 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I read it last night
Key Largo User Guide

What, are my posts chopped liver???

Sorry fella's. Obviously a search fail on my part.
Need more coffee, having some now. coffee

#2854893 - 05/11/17 06:14 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: davedoerfler]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

No worries, guys. I'm just poke you. wink

#2854918 - 05/12/17 03:23 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: roygBoo!]
jimkost2002 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
roygbiv,

there is a usb stick in the box for windows drivers, so it's probably not class compliant.

best,
jimkost2002

#2854925 - 05/12/17 04:43 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: jimkost2002]
SteveQB Offline

Loc: Devon, UK
Are the main XLR outputs at line level or mic level? i.e. does this also serve as a DI box as well as mixer? I wonder how it sounds against say the JDI duplex

#2854941 - 05/12/17 06:03 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: jimkost2002]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: jimkost2002
roygbiv,

there is a usb stick in the box for windows drivers, so it's probably not class compliant.

best,
jimkost2002

manual, page 5 ... 18.)

USB Type-2:

High quality USB I/O for Mac or PC.
Drivers required for PC.

To me that means drivers are required for PC ONLY which is confirmed below:

Page 8 - Going Digital:

USB 2.0 ... ‘TYPE A to TYPE B’ cable ... If using with a Mac, the Key-Largo is plug-and-play, with no drivers required.

Originally Posted By: SteveQB
Are the main XLR outputs at line level or mic level? i.e. does this also serve as a DI box as well as mixer? I wonder how it sounds against say the JDI duplex

Main and Monitor levels:

The output impedance for the transformer balanced/isolated XLR (Main) outputs is 300 Ohms,- the one for TRS (Monitor) is 450 Ohms AND the clip level for both outputs is +24dBu.

When comparing to the specs of p.ex. my Ashly MX508,- it´s transformer balanced XLR outputs are designed to drive 600 Ohm loads, it´s max. level (clipping) being +24dBu and it´s "nominal" level being specified to +4dBu.

So, I expect that being line levels on the KeyLargo as well and when that´s too hot for a PA console´s (mic) input, they´d have to use the PAD switch on the console.

A.C.

#2855123 - 05/13/17 09:11 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Al Coda]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Radial Engineering Releases the Key-Largo Mixer and Digital Interface

Vancouver, BC -- Radial Engineering Ltd. is pleased to announce the Key-Largo, a mixer and digital interface designed specifically for keyboard players, is now shipping.

Sound engineers and keyboardists alike will often face the same dilemma--- how to connect multiple keyboards to a PA without using several DI boxes? Players want to balance the levels between the instruments themselves and sound engineers need to be aware of the channel count. This often results in players using small, poor quality mixers that leave a lot to be desired. This is where the Key-Largo shines --- a compact, purpose-built keyboard mixer with the right connections, low noise floor and incredible sound quality!

The Key-Largo features ¼" analog inputs for connecting up to three stereo or mono keyboards, as well as a USB interface for use with soft-synths or computer based audio. All inputs are equipped with an individual level control, and separate send controls access a shared effects loop. This stereo loop is activated using a dedicated footswitch that can be set to mono operation for use with standard guitar-style pedals. The effects return is equipped with its own level control, allowing the player to easily blend the signal with the direct sound. A built-in momentary sustain footswitch is also provided so the Key-Largo can act as a standalone sustain pedal. Finally, a dedicated connection allows the player to use their own volume pedal for control over the stereo bus.

The Key-Largo output section includes stereo ¼" TRS outputs to feed a personal monitor system and transformer isolated XLR mains. The USB interface is equipped with high quality
24 bit/192kHz converters and can be used for both playback and as a recording interface to capture the keyboard mix live or in the studio. It even has MIDI connectivity, allowing the player to use their standard keyboards as software controllers.

Like all Radial products, the Key-Largo is made in Canada from 14-gauge steel and is supported with a 3 year transferable warranty.

Street price - $379.99 USD

http://www.radialeng.com/keylargo.php

#2855128 - 05/13/17 09:44 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: ElmerJFudd]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Can anybody comment on the sound of the Key-Largo as opposed to the JDI Radial?

Would love to replace my Yamaha MX -> JDI Duplex with something more compact and maybe better sounding.

#2855200 - 05/14/17 01:53 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
RudyS Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Would love to hear some reviews as well. Saw on FB that Tim also has one, so Tim how does sound and work for you?

Stuff: Nord Electro 3, Casio PX5s, DSI Mopho keys, Nord Lead A1, Korg N5, Korg Poly 61, QSC K10 and a Shure SM58.

#2855211 - 05/14/17 05:17 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
Can anybody comment on the sound of the Key-Largo as opposed to the JDI Radial?

Would love to replace my Yamaha MX -> JDI Duplex with something more compact and maybe better sounding.
FWIW and I bet you've noticed this, they don't mention it having Jensen transformers at all in any of the Key Largo literature. That doesn't mean it sounds bad, but if you can tell that difference in having the Jensen transformer fairy dust or not, it might not cut it for you.

It will be interesting to read what people hear.

#2855213 - 05/14/17 05:43 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: RudyS]
Canoehead Offline

Loc: Belleville, Ontario, Canada
First impressions. It certainly appears to be well built: it is quite heavy, the knobs and switches don't wiggle and connections are snug. I was happily surprised to discover that one of the monitor out jacks easily drove both sides of my headphones, albeit in mono.

1/4" and XLR outs are extremely quiet and I couldn't discern any difference between the Key Largo and a JDI when either output was routed to a K10.

I plugged in an Ipad 2 using the camera connection kit and, not surprisingly, the Key Largo did not send or receive Midi or audio.

I'll post some more feedback once I've had a chance to really dig in.

Cheers
Gord

#2855216 - 05/14/17 06:08 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Canoehead]
TomKittel Offline

Originally Posted By: Canoehead

I plugged in an Ipad 2 using the camera connection kit and, not surprisingly, the Key Largo did not send or receive Midi or audio.

I don't quite comprehend why a product like this lacks iOS support. Big mistake in my view.

#2855221 - 05/14/17 06:38 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Al Coda]
Barryjam Offline

Loc: Auburn, Northern CA
Originally Posted By: Al Coda

So, I expect that being line levels on the KeyLargo as well and when that´s too hot for a PA console´s (mic) input, they´d have to use the PAD switch on the console.

A.C.

or plugging key-largo into JDL Duplex DI and regaining or doubling the fairy dust. wink

Seriously, line level wouldn't surprise me on a mixer output.

Home: Steinway L, Bob Schleicher A100 chop, 142 Leslie.

Gigs: Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo 61, Ventilator II. Lounsbury H&F. A&H QUsb mixer, Crown & QSC amps, JBL SRX-700 series speakers

#2855225 - 05/14/17 06:57 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
Barryjam Offline

FWIW and I bet you've noticed this, they don't mention it having Jensen transformers at all in any of the Key Largo literature. That doesn't mean it sounds bad, but if you can tell that difference in having the Jensen transformer fairy dust or not, it might not cut it for you.

It will be interesting to read what people hear.

When I bought my JDL Duplex DI last month, I emailed the sales rep and asked him to make sure I was getting Jensen transformers. The sales rep told me the manufacturer told him that "we only use Jensen transformers." That is either untrue or they have stopped using Eclipse transformers, at least in the DIs.

Of course, this says nothing about what transformers may be in Key Largo. But I wonder if Radial got a lot of flak about Eclipse and may have chosen to not mention any brand in the Key-Largo literature, keeping options open regarding transformer inventory, even if there are actually Jensen transformers in it. Or not!

Gigs: Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo 61, Ventilator II. Lounsbury H&F. A&H QUsb mixer, Crown & QSC amps, JBL SRX-700 series speakers

#2855234 - 05/14/17 08:35 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Barryjam]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

When they announced the Key Largo, I was pretty excited about it.

Before getting carried away by GAS, I am examining what I already have and if I actually need this.

On my pedalboard, I have a small Rolls line mixer with its outs going to both sides of a Radial Pro D2. Both are pretty small units, and side-by-side, they only occupy a slightly larger footprint then the key Largo, and I'd guess both together may weigh about as much as the Key Largo. I don't use any outboard effects, nor would I plan to share one sustain pedal across multiple keyboards.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't really need this. Are there any potential advantages I am missing?

#2855237 - 05/14/17 09:29 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Dr88s]
WWW Offline
Gold Member

Loc: NYC
The advantage to the Key Largo over a separate mixer and stereo DI is the quality of the preamp's, which I assume are better than many, but most importantly, the USB input. This allows you to run VSTs without any additional gear. I also like the effects send/return.

#2855246 - 05/14/17 10:57 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: RudyS]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: RudyS
Would love to hear some reviews as well. Saw on FB that Tim also has one, so Tim how does sound and work for you?

It sounds - like you would expect a high quality mixer. Transparent, lots of headroom, lots of gain, quiet and no noise.

Now, out of the box used it on Friday and Saturday PM gigs, and the rig was pretty simple.

1) Kronos & Wave into Key Largo into SS
2) Kronos & Wave into Key Largo into SS and DXR8 and FOH

Like DI boxes, you never notice if a mixer is sucking your timbre until you A/B it against a bunch of other mixers (This is how I ended up with my very strong opinions about DIs and became a Radial fanboi).

I was using a good line mixer before (Ashly 308) so it's not like the Radial was replacing a POS. And I haven't yet gone and introduced MainStage into the rig (which I might soon).

What I like:

It is a beast. Very heavy and very sturdy. I put it on the right hand black panel of the Kronos and it's not going to budge, and all the cabling isn't going to drag it.

This simplifies my schlep as I no longer need to pack the rack, or my DI.

I don't think you're going to hear ANY discernible difference between the Key Largo and either the Radial JDI or Pro DI. I personally don't hear differences between Radial DIs, but there are stark differences between Radial and other cheaper brands. Basically I think the Key Largo (like my JDI Duplex) transparently passes through everything it's supposed to with minimal coloration or degradation.

it's also shortened my cabling, which is also nice.

Anyway, not enough sleep after two crazy gigs.

Friday in the middle of the set I feel something hit me in the forehead. It's a dollar bill. WTF? The packed crowd in Fairfax digs us so much they are throwing money at us like we're strippers. And there's a tip bucket on the table in front of the stage. At the end of the night there's over $400 in tips - mostly $1 bills and a few $5 and $20s - that they threw on the stage. Make it rain indeed. And I didn't even have to strip off my speedo or work the pole. While this may happen to some of you regularly, I've never had this happen before.

Saturday wedding gig at toney St. Helena resort (wine country). Packed dance floor entire night. Very very loud evening. Glad I packed both the SS and the DXR8 because I drove them hard and could still barely hear myself. Interestingly, this must have been the blondest dance floor I've ever played. Pleasant times but I'm exhausted, taking the moms out for moms day later today.

I'll have more comments on the Key Largo as I get a chance to use it in different rig configs and gig situations. For now - I can say it's definitely a quality piece of kit and I'll be keeping it.

Tim

#2855250 - 05/14/17 11:22 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

great review, Tim. Thanks. thu

#2855252 - 05/14/17 11:23 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

I've ordered one from Sweetwater. This will allow me to leave my Duplex at home and should be a bump up in quality from the inexpensive Yamaha mixer I use in front of it right now, plus I'll gain a separate monitor volume control.

They are out of stock right now so I've missed the first shipment apparently.

#2855283 - 05/14/17 07:01 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Nice review Tim! Thanks. I'll be ordering one soon.

Yamaha C3, '62 A100, Leslie 145, CP4, Mojo, HX3 Module, Vent 2, Electro 4D, AX Synth, SSv3, Markbass CMD 121P, Chopped Leslie 145, RCF TT08As

#2855318 - 05/15/17 03:36 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Al Quinn]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The external Volume Pedal function works like a charm. The KL is built like a tank and sounds great. Taking it to my gig Friday night!

Edited by Legatoboy (05/15/17 05:30 AM)

#2857634 - 05/27/17 08:41 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Legatoboy]
WWW Offline
Gold Member

Loc: NYC
Got it. Excellent. Effects loop is great. Preamps are clean and high quality.
Digital I/O is smooth and seamless with no audible latency. The DI is identical to my Radial duplex.
The only thing I do not use use the midi and the volume pedal insert.
Built like a tank. It sits on the upper right of my NS2 HA88.

#2857640 - 05/27/17 09:51 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: WWW]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I can also report the KL attracts a lot of attention from stablemates.

At the last couple of gigs I've used it, during setup the drummers and bass players have been admiring it sitting in all it's glory on top my Kronos. "Man what's this?" "Whoa, that looks beautiful!" "How much is this?" "When did this come out?"

And, yes, it works exactly as advertised, sounds full and transparent, gainstaging with the SSv3 is now optimized (vs. plugging my boards directly into it).

Highly recommended.

#2857651 - 05/27/17 11:13 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Ugh, the GAS is real. The money in my wallet isn't. cry

#2857652 - 05/27/17 11:17 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: MAJUSCULE]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm afraid I'm not helping anyone's GAS on this piece of kit.

It also attracts buxom blondes and fetching young coeds who want to disrobe, bring me vodka martinis and crepes, peel me grapes and offer to do my taxes for me for free.

"But no, I'm engaged," I courageously object!

And so sadly, they're resigned to fondle and stroke....the knobs on my Key Largo instead.

There is much power in a small, well built keyboard mixer.

#2857658 - 05/27/17 11:27 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hey, Tim. Can you diagram how you've incorporated into your rig?

You're monitoring stereo at your SS v3. Are you sending stereo to FOH?
Summing to mono?

#2857660 - 05/27/17 11:35 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: ElmerJFudd]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

KL Monitor Outs L&R to SSv3
KL Main Outs to FOH (stereo)

Haven't sent FOH mono yet.

#2857663 - 05/27/17 11:51 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I don't always get to pick... so when FOH is giving me one input on their board for two keyboards each with L and R it sucks pretty fast.

I wonder when someone will do a DI with a feature like Nord's internal stereo to mono summing algorithm?

#2861192 - 06/16/17 12:39 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Sven Golly]
tonewheeltom Offline

Loc: NJ
I'm replacing my Receptor and a couple analog keyboards with a MacBook/Main Stage setup, and have been struggling with a solution. I was not looking forward to disconnecting my Apogee Quartet and MIDI DIN interface from my iMac in my studio every time I had a rehearsal or gig.

Browsing for a solution I came across the Key Largo and ordered it on the spot. This is for a Genesis tribute I'm in, and I need USB D/A, three instrument level inputs (ARP Pro/DGX, Memotron M2K, 12-string acoustic with preamp) and a single DIN MIDI for my Nord Stage 88 Classic to control Main Stage. Although I won't have a need for the unit's sustain and volume pedal functionality, it appears as if Radial made this with my exact needs in mind. I'll be able to leave my Mackie mixer and quite a few cables at home, too.

Unfortunately, Sweetwater doesn't get more in until a month from now.

#2861197 - 06/16/17 01:00 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: tonewheeltom]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have one small nit to pick with the KL, which has become an inseparable part of my kit.

The damn AC adapter cord is RED.

Because I place the KL on the RH empty panel on my Kronos, the red AC cord is pointing at the audience.

This is a deal breaker for me. It disturbs the aesthetic and Feng Shui so crucial to today's KB rig and throws the stage balance completely off kilter. I'm either going to have to return the KL, wrap the AC in a black shrink wrapped sleeve, or replace the Kronos with a Nord Electro, bright red Sway stand, and gig a red cape, pitchfork and horns.

Dammit, Radial.

#2861200 - 06/16/17 01:33 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Sven Golly Offline
10k Club

I don't always get to pick... so when FOH is giving me one input on their board for two keyboards each with L and R it sucks pretty fast.

I wonder when someone will do a DI with a feature like Nord's internal stereo to mono summing algorithm?

I dunno, a long time ago? Here's the most recent one I can think of...

Radial ProAV1

#2861202 - 06/16/17 01:55 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Sven Golly]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hi, Sven. Of course, there are many ways to sum to mono. But when L and R are a stereo piano library where you have the lower frequencies/keys hard L and upper frequencies/keys hard R but lots of frequencies/keys in the middle that's the same in both signals - then when you sum to mono you get some funky phase cancellations (and/or volume increases where in phase) happening. Other than the being a DI how does the Radial AV1 differ from just using L/mono out on a keyboard with a single channel io DI?

If we use just R out on a stereo library we get gradual decrease in volume as you head up the keys and frequency spectrum. From Nord's literature on the algo they use, they've done some trickery where their Stereo files get combined and you somehow don't get phase cancellation in the mids. They haven't published anything on how they do it, and I don't own a Nord to say how effective their algo is. But users say it's an effective way to use all their downloadable stereo libraries in mono.

#2861204 - 06/16/17 02:19 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

I have one small nit to pick with the KL, which has become an inseparable part of my kit.

Because I place the KL on the RH empty panel on my Kronos, the red AC cord is pointing at the audience.

This is a deal breaker for me. It disturbs the aesthetic and Feng Shui so crucial to today's KB rig and throws the stage balance completely off kilter. I'm either going to have to return the KL, wrap the AC in a black shrink wrapped sleeve, or replace the Kronos with a Nord Electro, bright red Sway stand, and gig a red cape, pitchfork and horns.

Dammit, Radial.
Sorry if you're serious, Tim, but roll

#2861208 - 06/16/17 02:44 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
RedKey Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Chicago

Dammit, Radial.

I'm pretty sure you're kidding, but I extend all my wall wart cables with these guys.
I usually heat shrink over the connection while I'm at it, but that's not necessary.

DC extension cables

#2861403 - 06/18/17 03:19 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: RedKey]
George88 Offline
Gold Member

Gig report:

I used the Key-Largo on a gig last night. I simply plugged into the stereo inputs of channels 1 and 2, set all knobs at 12:00, lifted the ground, sound checked and played the gig. No issues from FOH, I made no adjustments and it sounded great. I only monitored from a mono house monitor, and it sounded just fine.

This is a much simpler set up than my Ashley mixer. Great find!

#2861411 - 06/18/17 04:59 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: WWW]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Next on my list. Gonna digest the QSC K8.2s I've just ordered, and the Key Largo is next on my GAS list.

Keys: Nord Piano 2, Electro 4D, DeepMind-12
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Spider Pro, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2861437 - 06/18/17 09:13 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: cphollis]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Just did a 3 gig stand with my new Key Largo. 2 nights with a TT08a pair and the other with in ears. Man, I have never had it so good.

I do have one fervent wish - I could really use an aux input that sends only to the monitor output, so I could get a monitor mix in.

I found I had to work on my gain staging a bit to be happy. I found the monitor outputs were not very hot with my RCFs, so I needed to run my Nord pretty high to compensate. The main outputs seem hotter.

I still have a small gain problem when I solo piano. Long story short, I fix my normal playing volume on AP, with no pedal. Then all other sounds are balanced to it. With the mixer on the pedalboard and no pedal, the only way to get extra level for a solo is to grab the volume knob on the Nord. However I usually have the organ pulled forward over it.

Being the lazy person that I am, I'm going to play with using my Tall & Fat pedal as a clean boost in the fx loop. So the fx button on the KL will become a solo switch if it works.

#2861438 - 06/18/17 10:27 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Funny enough, my mixer died a month or two ago and I have been using a borrowed one. I use the JDI Duplex already. I think I see this in my very near future, particularly if I can truly use the sale of the DI to fund it.

#2861440 - 06/19/17 12:06 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: MathOfInsects]
Barryjam Offline

1. So no aux input that only goes to monitors.
2. No way to send a mono signal to FOH on one cable (except using the effects send, thus requiring an additional direct box)
3. No headphone out on the mixer itself.

Because my Allen & Heath QUsd allows me to easily do all three, I'll stay with that for the near future. It is 4 rack spaces, but quite light for its power.

Still, in situations where I can get by without any of these three features, the KL is very tempting.

Edited by Barryjam (06/19/17 12:27 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#2861476 - 06/19/17 08:43 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Barryjam]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

The big draw for me was:

- completely eliminate a rack
- eliminate my external JDI duplex box
- external pedals premounted and prewired.
- separate monitor send (my micro Yamaha didn't have)
- Radial sound quality

#2861481 - 06/19/17 09:13 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California

Being the lazy person that I am, I'm going to play with using my Tall & Fat pedal as a clean boost in the fx loop. So the fx button on the KL will become a solo switch if it works.

My stepfather used to say, "The lazy man will always find the best and most efficient solution." This is a great idea. Can you report back on it?

#2861642 - 06/19/17 07:58 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: MathOfInsects]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Well that experiment was a bust. I suspected it might be when I talked to the pedal maker and he told me that the phase is inverted on the output.

That doesn't matter when the pedal is inline, but gives weird results in a fx loop.

But the concept is sound. I may try again with a different pedal.

#2861654 - 06/19/17 09:59 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
_Maximus_ Offline

Loc: Guatemala

And, yes, it works exactly as advertised, sounds full and transparent, gainstaging with the SSv3 is now optimized (vs. plugging my boards directly into it).

Highly recommended.
Hey tim a quick question, i noticed that the keylargo doesn't have any kind of metering or clip indicator, i was wondering how did you balanced out keyboard outputs levels, i imagine you just guess by ear, is it something you would like or need in a revision 2 keylargo, and how's the headroom on it? does it saturate easily or do you really have to drive it?

#2861657 - 06/19/17 11:26 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: _Maximus_]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

I think the headroom is pretty exceptional. It uses a 15V supply and I think I read somewhere that they juice that up to around 30V internally.

In other news, I find that patching the fx send directly to the fx return gives a modest but audible volume boost when you dime the send and return levels and hit the fx button. Might be all I need for a solo switch.

#2862180 - 06/22/17 06:26 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
Beethree Offline
Platinum Member

I have not seen this anywhere: Will it do midi and audio via USB simultaneously? i.e......Controller to DIN input - only one USB chord from Largo to/from laptop (or in my case Mac mini) for midi and audio.

#2862206 - 06/22/17 08:18 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Beethree]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Beethree
I have not seen this anywhere: Will it do midi and audio via USB simultaneously? i.e......Controller to DIN input - only one USB chord from Largo to/from laptop (or in my case Mac mini) for midi and audio.

I haven't tried it but yes, that is how it is designed. As long as you are using OSX and not iOS.

#2866655 - 07/13/17 12:26 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
tonewheeltom Offline

Loc: NJ
I just checked in with my order at Sweetwater, placed a month ago, when they said the Key Largo would be available mid-July. They told me the new date they have is August 9th. I was really hoping to have it now to start using it. Has anyone seen it in stock elsewhere?

#2866665 - 07/13/17 01:24 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: tonewheeltom]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

there are currently 2 listings on Reverb that claim to have them in stock

#2866723 - 07/13/17 08:27 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Beethree]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Beethree

Yes, I've used it this way

#2866761 - 07/14/17 05:45 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Al Quinn]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

I think I'm going to get this.
I love their Space Heater Tube Summing Mixer.
100% high quality parts sound and design.
If these sell well I expect to see a Largo with a Tube stage.
If not run this into the Tube Mixer to warm up those ones and zeros.

They really make great gear.

#2867799 - 07/19/17 07:33 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
JerryA Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England

It sounds - like you would expect a high quality mixer. Transparent, lots of headroom, lots of gain, quiet and no noise.

Tim, (or anyone) are we talking about gain through the line level (main) outs or the monitor outs or both?

If you needed to drive some powered speakers pretty hot (for those in-between gigs (where there is no FOH but you are playing at higher than jazz/monitor levels) would it matter which outputs you used?

Thanks in advance. thu

#2867924 - 07/19/17 04:34 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: JerryA]
Darcity Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Ga
I wonder how it would fair against my Allen & Heath Zedi-10FX?

#2867929 - 07/19/17 05:25 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Darcity]
Macsaint777 Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I have one, it has higher latency being USB 2, but it is a fantastic piece of gear!

#2868085 - 07/20/17 05:00 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Macsaint777]
Macsaint777 Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I have a friend who has one for $265.00 if anyone is interested, let me know!

Ben

#2868086 - 07/20/17 05:09 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Macsaint777]
bob_sd Offline

Loc: CA
See PM

#2868115 - 07/20/17 07:53 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Macsaint777]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Originally Posted By: Macsaint777
I have a friend who has one for $265.00 if anyone is interested, let me know!

Ben

Holy crap, what a deal. If it was local I would already be knocking on your door.

#2868120 - 07/20/17 08:25 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Darcity]
JazzPiano88 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Darcity
I wonder how it would fair against my Allen & Heath Zedi-10FX?

I have that A&H Z10 and am SO looking forward to getting rid of it. (not to mention the functionality that is a complete headache and mess)

A fellow forum member put it in perspective for me... The total raw parts cost is probably $50, of which the electronics is likely less than $10 and I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than $4.

Yes the signals do approximately what the schematic say, but that's about it... Approximately.

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73

#2885028 - 10/14/17 02:29 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: JazzPiano88]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

maybe this will help someone decide on a purchase, maybe not.

Obligatory video follows:

#2886497 - 10/22/17 02:19 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: davedoerfler]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Been GASing for this since it was announced.

My 'big' rig for the stage show is stereo outs from each of my 2 boards, and mono out from the Nord organs into a Vent with stereo out from the Vent - that's 3x2 channels in all.

Right now I mix the three stereo channels with a Rolls line mixer Velcroed to my pedalboard, with each side of the summed stereo output going into a Radial pro D2.

Monitoring is all handled by the venue; I don't need my own monitor send. Nor do I use external FX.

Outside from one less box on my pedalboard and maybe a small amount of saved real estate, what advantage will this offer over my current setup?

#2886505 - 10/22/17 03:07 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Dr88s]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Outside from one less box on my pedalboard and maybe a small amount of saved real estate, what advantage will this offer over my current setup?

I can't imagine that the KL won't sound better than your Rolls. You already have great direct boxes (which you won't need - repurpose or sell to recoup some cost.) Now get a great sounding mixer too.

#2886545 - 10/22/17 07:01 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

^^

Thanks. As figured. Now, seeing as how I have no personal complaints about the sound from the Rolls, nor have I received complaints, can I justify the price to myself for the mixer upgrade?

#2887434 - 10/27/17 11:44 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Dr88s]
AWkeys Offline

One gig in with the Key Largo, and I cannot believe how much more open and "airier" the sound is compared to my old Yamaha MG06X mixer. I'll miss the built-in reverb a little, but this thing is amazing!

#2887436 - 10/27/17 11:59 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: AWkeys]
musicbysterling Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
+1 here.
I used mine for the first time last Friday, and was very pleased with it's performance. I had the monitor outs connected to my Spacestation with the main outs going to FOH. My Ashly LX308B is now back in it's box.

#2887457 - 10/27/17 03:10 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: musicbysterling]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

[quote=musicbysterlingMy Ashly LX308B is now back in it's box. [/quote]

I have a Ashly MX508 ...

So, you say, the Key-Largo "Mixer" is on par w/ the Ashly designs in overall sound quality (and ignoring features the Ashly´s offer in addition) ?

A.C.

#2887476 - 10/27/17 08:59 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: matted stump

I can't imagine that the KL won't sound better than your Rolls. You already have great direct boxes (which you won't need - repurpose or sell to recoup some cost.) Now get a great sounding mixer too.

I have a KL and a Rolls. The KL sounds much better. The Rolls was a disappointment for me. I understand a lot of folks like it (which is why I bought it) but for me it's not gig worthy. The KL on the other hand is excellent.

#2887517 - 10/28/17 05:22 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: timwat]
johnnyd Offline

Anybody using the KL for VST'i? in a live setting
I can't seem to get an acceptable latency (getting 57ms) using Brainspawn Forte

#2887998 - 11/01/17 01:39 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: johnnyd]
TK@Edmondsound Offline

Loc: Atlanta
Possible work around for the iOS connection in could be via a Korg plugKey. Shouldn’t have to do workarounds like that but I imagine it would work fine while still allowing midi control to a board directly, the key largo or a midi hub ie; iconnectmidi.

#2888298 - 11/02/17 01:21 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Al Coda]
musicbysterling Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
For my current needs, I'm finding the Key Largo to be more than adequate in providing me with the the sound quality and build quality I expect from Radial. My LX308B has been in my rack for over a decade and I'm certain at some future date, I'll end up using it again.
Originally Posted By: Al Coda
[quote=musicbysterlingMy Ashly LX308B is now back in it's box.

I have a Ashly MX508 ...

So, you say, the Key-Largo "Mixer" is on par w/ the Ashly designs in overall sound quality (and ignoring features the Ashly´s offer in addition) ?

A.C. [/quote]

#2888389 - 11/03/17 06:53 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: johnnyd]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: johnnyd

bummer !
Maybe driver issue ?

A.C.

#2888390 - 11/03/17 06:55 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: musicbysterling]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: musicbysterling

My LX308B has been in my rack for over a decade and I'm certain at some future date, I'll end up using it again.

Thank you !

smile

A.C.

#2888406 - 11/03/17 08:53 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: johnnyd]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: johnnyd
Anybody using the KL for VST'i? in a live setting

Sorry I can't help you on that. I played around with a friend's rig who uses the KL with Mainstage, and no issues with latency. NOt sure the number, but it was lower than 57ms.

It sounded so good, with no delay to my ears between key press and note sound, that I just ordered one.

#2888447 - 11/03/17 12:34 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: EscapeRocks]
Daniel71 Offline

Loc: Rimouski Canada
Received mine yesterday, can’t wait to try it..

Regards

#2888459 - 11/03/17 01:59 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Daniel71]
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I tested the KL with my mbp and was more than impressed with it's performance. I too have a 308, and have no intentions of getting rid of it. I can think of many situations where I will use it rather than the KL.

#2890280 - 11/14/17 01:48 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Michael Wright]
Electro Fan Offline

Loc: Maine
I am wondering how many Key Largo owners are using it in a pedal format? Based on the dimensions listed on the Radial site, I would have difficulty setting this on my Px-5s as my top tier board is too close to allow clearance. It would seem that setting levels by reaching down to the floor would be inconvenient, but the unit seems to be buit to be used like a pedal.

Thanks,

Bill

#2890298 - 11/14/17 02:30 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Electro Fan]
FJR Offline

Loc: SF Bay
Originally Posted By: Electro Fan
I am wondering how many Key Largo owners are using it in a pedal format? Based on the dimensions listed on the Radial site, I would have difficulty setting this on my Px-5s as my top tier board is too close to allow clearance. It would seem that setting levels by reaching down to the floor would be inconvenient, but the unit seems to be buit to be used like a pedal.

Thanks,

Bill

I agree! I wish it was either in a smaller footprint - without the pedals, or in a rack mount. I like the idea of consolidating the DB/Interface/Mixer, but I'm trying to figure where it would go, since I would never use the pedal functionality... and since I'm wishing, I think it would be great to have a headphone output!

#2890303 - 11/14/17 02:41 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Electro Fan]
mynameisdanno Offline

I do keep it on the floor, but next to me, not under the keyboards. Easier to adjust that way. It goes on a small pedaltrain pedalboard along with my Mini-Vent with Mini-Remote mod (with remote footswitch under the keyboard), and power supplies for both units mounted underneath.

Once the levels are set, I don't find myself adjusting them very often - monitor volume might get tweaked a few times throughout a night but that's about it.

I don't bother with the foot switches on the Key Largo, though they may be useful for others.

#2890323 - 11/14/17 04:48 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: FJR]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
Originally Posted By: FJR

Thanks,

Bill

I agree! I wish it was either in a smaller footprint - without the pedals, or in a rack mount. I like the idea of consolidating the DB/Interface/Mixer, but I'm trying to figure where it would go, since I would never use the pedal functionality... and since I'm wishing, I think it would be great to have a headphone output!

+1 for an alternate form factor, a rack-mount would be great!

#2890329 - 11/14/17 05:25 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Moonglow]
Electro Fan Offline

Thanks,

Bill

A headphone out would be welcomed.
Originally Posted By: mynameisdanno
I do keep it on the floor, but next to me, not under the keyboards. Easier to adjust that way. It goes on a small pedaltrain pedalboard along with my Mini-Vent with Mini-Remote mod (with remote footswitch under the keyboard), and power supplies for both units mounted underneath.

Once the levels are set, I don't find myself adjusting them very often - monitor volume might get tweaked a few times throughout a night but that's about it.

I don't bother with the foot switches on the Key Largo, though they may be useful for others.

I just recently purchased a Gator G Tour Pedalboard to keep my Vent, expression and sustain pedals mounted for easy setup. I think that if I go with the Key Largo I would have to attach it to the board. Unfortunately I went for the larger version of the pedalboard (24” L) for more room, but as I decided to go back to my old INVISIBLE stand, the larger board will not fit under the stand.

Originally Posted By: Moonglow

Thanks,

Bill

Chris, I concur that a rack mount version would be the preferable form factor for me as well. I had been looking at the Samson S10 1U rack mixer, but the Radial quality transformers and ground lift have me leaning towards the KL.
Bill

#2890330 - 11/14/17 05:27 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mynameisdanno]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

I've evolved a strange setup. KL perma mounted and wired in the pedal board. Main output L to FOH. Main output R to bass player's hot spot monitor so he can hear keys. Monitor outputs to my in ears.

I do not touch KL levels ever. I used to use a Behringer headphone amp to drive the in ears, but it distorted all the time. Now I carry my old Yamaha MX 06 to drive my in ears cleanly, and also add back my monitor mix from the PA.

So it's kinda weird to have 2 mixers in my setup, but it has advantages:
- keys plug in to pedal board with short custom length cables. Vent is pre mounted and pre wired.
- KL takes up no more room than my previous Radial JDI Duplex, and provides super clean FOH feed. Yamaha sits at my side in a little box and provides convenient ears volume for keys and monitor feed.
- I can blow off the Yamaha and the pedalboard is still fully functional.

#2890331 - 11/14/17 05:28 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Oh and one more trick - I use the efx enable foot switch as a solo volume boost.

#2890334 - 11/14/17 05:51 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Moonglow]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Moonglow

+1 too ...

and w/ balanced TRS inputs (usable balanced or unbalanced), gain switches (-20dB/+4dB) for each analog input channel please.
I´d like to use it as kind of summing mixer for other line mixers and USB audio,- or, for the smaller gig as the only line mixer and have the DI functionality for both purposes.

The FX bypass switch is senseless ´cause there´s the option to connect a bypass-switch to almost any FX unit directly,- and when it is a stomp box, there´s a switch anyway.
I doubt I need a bypass switch at all because I´m doing all w/ MIDI.

The sustain ft-switch is dispensable too and when the switches are gone there´s no need anymore to use it on the floor.

A.C.

#2890364 - 11/14/17 11:54 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Al Coda]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Agreed about rack mount.
Having both is nice.
I think Radial Eng is just gett8ng started.
They already have an excellent rack chassis design with the Space Heater.
Can’t be more than 8 inches deep, perfect for mixing.
The Space Heater is the heaviest short rack mounted kit I own.

A Largo with the Radial Tube design on Master outs would be great.
It really gave my VSTs some presence and I finally got rid of my DSP and Native fake digital distortion.
They each have sweet spots but cling to the usual octave and a half safe space.
Going higher and lower is most irritating.

#2890366 - 11/15/17 12:09 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: hardware]
SteveQB Offline

Loc: Devon, UK
I have mine mounted on pedal board. Levels are pretty much set and forget as my patches are pre-programmed and balanced.

I have found the monitor outs power my IEMs well. I use a 2x1/4" TS to 1x1/4" TRS cable plugged into fischer passive attenuator belt clip then into my IEMs

#2890392 - 11/15/17 06:12 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: SteveQB]
dongna Offline

Another +1 on the rack mount... hopefully Radial is listening.

#2890512 - 11/15/17 05:59 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: cphollis]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Originally Posted By: cphollis
Next on my list. Gonna digest the QSC K8.2s I've just ordered, and the Key Largo is next on my GAS list.

Well, it took longer than I thought, but tried out my new KL in my signal chain, replacing a Yamaha MG06 mixer. Nord Piano 2 and Electro 4D through KL to a pair of RCF TT08-a units.

Did some A/B, no question whatsoever that it improved my sound: clearer, more punch, better handling of transients -- the whole ball of wax. The better your sound system, the more you want this nifty box.

It also neatly solved my problem of adjusting my stage monitors without dorking the FOH mix. Now I'm sorry I waited so long to upgrade my mixer/pre stage.

Not using the switches, but am going to eventually buy that overpriced volume pedal and trick cables needed to make it work. I also tried out my new Vent II at the same time, nice upgrade from the stock sim I've been using.

Our FOH is stereo (I'm the sound guy), so no issues mixing to mono. And, TimWat, the red color pairs nicely with my red Nords smile If I ever decide to go to a laptop, I'm all set there as well.

Suhweeet!

Keys: Nord Piano 2, Electro 4D, DeepMind-12
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Spider Pro, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2890553 - 11/16/17 04:09 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: cphollis]
Electro Fan Offline

I posed this question over at the FB Clonewheel Organ group, but I will throw it out here as well. Is it possible to run a OD type pedal like the Organ Grinder or Tall & Fat into the KL’s efx loop?

A member there tried it for me with both his Tall&Fat and Vent and did not care for the results. He mentioned experimenting with mono vs stereo setup or using just the Vent or T&F. I am interested to hear what he comes up with. It would seem that it might be able to share the OD effect between two boards, such as a clonewheel and an ep sound on another board.

Do OD type effects need a direct signal from a line level device?

Edited by Electro Fan (11/16/17 04:11 AM)

#2890603 - 11/16/17 08:55 AM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Electro Fan]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

T&F does not work well. The reason is that the output of the pedal inverts the signal, which causes cancellation when in a loop. I confirmed this with the designer of the pedal.

Vent wouldn't make sense to run in a loop as you generally want 100% effected sound.

Generally though any effect that you are going to run 100% wet should not have this problem.

#2890628 - 11/16/17 01:07 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: mate stubb]
Electro Fan Offline

T&F does not work well. The reason is that the output of the pedal inverts the signal, which causes cancellation when in a loop. I confirmed this with the designer of the pedal.

Vent wouldn't make sense to run in a loop as you generally want 100% effected sound.

Generally though any effect that you are going to run 100% wet should not have this problem.

Moe,

Thanks for the clarification. I now have a better understanding of how the T&F works and using effect loops.

Bill

#2890629 - 11/16/17 01:52 PM Re: Radial Key-Largo Mixer, DI, USB [Re: Electro Fan]
bjosko Offline

Loc: Denmark
Got mine a couple days ago, and tried it on rehearsal with my setup.
-heavy
-simple
-expensive
-solid
-and worth the money.
I am running NS3 and DMC122/Gemini with monitor out to a Spacestation, and Main through a Behringer X Air 18.
The SS sounded fine, but found a lot on the FOH.
I also found out that one or both channels I was using on the Xair was defective, thin and no bottom, think one of the preamps are dead.
Changed to 2 other channels, and that changed the sound to the better.

The signal was a bit lower than from my previous cheap Behringer 10Ch mixer, but way more detailed, and no hiss or noise.
The NS sounded fine out FOH, but the organ from my DMC was way to bassy (and I think our sub was set to loud), keyclick much louder than before, so I need to dig into the Gemini and adjust the organ settings.

USB / Ipad connection would have been great, what are missing, a license from Apple, or hardware in the KL? But I know that it was not possible when I order it, so all in all I am happy.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner